closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A good swap for me?..please help

Journeyman

A good swap for me?..please help

Hi

I need a little help, about a swap between me and my brothers Rolex's. I am not so much into vintage Rolex anymore, so need some inputs here.

I have a new Air King, plastic off og and bracelet sized, but never worn. Complete set.
    My brother have a 16700 E-serial, all original bracelet, end links, clasp, dial, hands, bezel inlay. Never polished and runs well, service history unknown. To me, it's in very good conditions.
    The GMT is watch only.
    For me, there is also a little bit of value of these two watches. I have 4000GBP put in the Air King, and want to have around same value in the GMT as well.

I love both watches, even the Air King =;)
    Is this a good swap for both me and my brother?

Thanks
    Alan

Master
    Think it's a good swap for you, I'd be surprised if the GMT is not still worth more without papers and unknown service history?

Personally, i would wear the GMT all day long long, and twice on Sundays.
    The Air-King, i wouldn't give the time of day to (i did well, i wanted to say a lot worse)

Wear the watch, but please let it be the GMT

Master
    Not that it matters but the GMT looks to have a few scratches to the bezel.

Anyway, I would also be quite surprised if you could get such a GMT for £4k.

Values apart, I much prefer the look of the GMT and would do the deal on this basis alone.

Good luck in your selection.

I also think there is more value in the GMT, but if your brother is willing to swop - go for it.

Personally, I'd be telling my brother that he was being silly. Failing that, get in there before he changes his mind.

It's not all about values. the GMT is a classic, the new Air-King: forget the hype, its a goose.

I would estimate that the GMT is worth around the 5k mark depending on condition etc. Additionally I would think that the GMT is also perceived as more desirable and therefore should be easier to sell. Finally i would expect the GMT to rise in value every year but the Air King may fall a bit before it stabilised and begin to rise.
    So I think ur getting a better deal than ur brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe swap it for a year if u both fancy a change?

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    Personally, i would wear the GMT all day long long, and twice on Sundays.
    The Air-King, i wouldn't give the time of day to (i did well, i wanted to say a lot worse)

Wear the watch, but please let it be the GMT

This.

No comparrison, in my eyes either.

Mozza

gmt all day long ...

Craftsman
    I like some of the other posters think theres more value in the GMT event without the full set. Nice watches but again my preference would be the GMT.

A good swap for me?..please help

I certainly wouldn't swap my 16710 for a new Air King; if your brother wants to then make sure he understands what he's doing. It may lead to arguments further down the line.

The GMT is more likely to increase in value too which may cause bad feelings later on.

Grand Master
    No brainer for me, gmt all the way, but as others have said make sure your brother is aware of the advice above to avoid issues down the line. maybe try each others watch for a month first?
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    GMT - be quick before he wakes up!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I'm in a definite minority here in that I like the new Air King. Would I choose one over a GMT though? Not a chance.

GMT all the way

Journeyman
    Thank you for all your comments.

It's my brother, who asked me for at swop. He is totally crazy with the new Air King. I bought it in January and haven't worn it at all... maybe this is a hint?

I go with the most of you, and say yes, let's do it.

/Alan

Journeyman
    If he wants to swap then it is good swap for both of you!

Imho on watch alone I'd go for the GMT.

Journeyman
    GMT all day long.

I would suggest that whist yours has all of the provenance of box and paperwork then it is more valuable. Based on this I would suggest your brother adds cash to his used GMT for your stunning mint as new Airking. I think £1000 would be fair.

...One day in the not too distant future he will come to 'know' Rolex better and consider the deal unfair or that his GMT was undervalued. No problem. You give him £1k of his own money back and everybody is happy! He'll think it's a great deal!

^^^Just for the record, Don't actually do this. The GMT all day long.^^^

Craftsman
    +1 for the GMT, but as someone already suggested swapping for a year and then back also not a bad idea...

Craftsman
    For all of us, WIS who read forums all day long, it is a no brainer. But it looks that the brother actually likes more the Air King. Also this is a brand new Rolex with 5 year warranty and movement - 2+2sec per day. The Air King will be more durable and less hassle for daily wearer.

Bottom point do the swap, but explain to him that his watch is actually more valuable and is likely to rise more in value.

Master
    If you love your brother, as I'm sure you do, you will not commit to swapping, having told him how much more desireable & valuable his GMT is.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bite your brother's hand off.
    Not literally. That would make future family get togethers really awkward.

Would take the trade for the GMT in a breath.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

You haven't worn the Air King at all. I have no idea why you own it, but I suspect you don't like it. If there's a chance you're actually going to wear the GMT, then the swap is a no brainer! :)

He prefers the AK and although this forum seems to be obsessed with it lately this hobby is not all about value/investment, he may want the peace of mind of a warranty and no service to worry about and may also just be bored and fancies a change

There is no harm in swapping as long as you are both happy

Personally, I wouldn't. It's not a GMT model that I'd want. It's a bit of a lost serial the 16700, and not as desirable as virtually any other Rolex GMT. Pay more and buy a full set GMT Master or Master II, if you really want one.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    Thank you for all your comments. I am grateful for that.

I will off course show my brother this thread, to make sure, he knows what we are doing.

Thanks
    Alan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't. It's not a GMT model that I'd want. It's a bit of a lost serial the 16700, and not as desirable as virtually any other Rolex GMT. Pay more and buy a full set GMT Master or Master II, if you really want one.
    puzzled. That GMT is a GMT Master? What's up with that particular model compared to others. I'm not too familiar with the intricacies of the Rolex GMTs so genuine question.

Martyn.

I would take the GMT without box or papers before I would take the Air King with box and papers.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    puzzled. That GMT is a GMT Master? What's up with that particular model compared to others. I'm not too familiar with the intricacies of the Rolex GMTs so genuine question.

Martyn.
    It was a modern watch, but still had the slave 24hr hand, rather than than independently set 24hr hand. It was a cheap (for a Rolex) model in the line up, and sold alongside the 16710 GMT II. I meant I'd by a "proper" imo GMT Master, or the GMT II. I'm sure it's a perfectly good watch - it's just not for me, and I doubt it would be a good buy compared to putting the same money into the alternative models.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    It was a modern watch, but still had the slave 24hr hand, rather than than independently set 24hr hand. It was a cheap (for a Rolex) model in the line up, and sold alongside the 16710 GMT II. I meant I'd by a "proper" imo GMT Master, or the GMT II. I'm sure it's a perfectly good watch - it's just not for me, and I doubt it would be a good buy compared to putting the same money into the alternative models.
    As many of us know it is all about rarity and the 16700 was made in much fewer numbers than the 16710z so this might prove beneficial down the line.
    It also has a quickset day. Something that the 16710 doesn't. Of course the hand is a slave.
    I also read somewhere that the case is not exactly the same and that the 16700 is actually thinner.. anyway, I own one so I am not completely impartial to this!

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    It's not all about values. the GMT is a classic, the new Air-King: forget the hype, its a ......
    Classic for the sure is the GMT while in case you wana enjoy the reliability, accuracy of a trouble-free modern movement...

I'll go for the GMT as well.

Both nice watches but I would also go for the GMT, it is iconic.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    As many of us know it is all about rarity and the 16700 was made in much fewer numbers than the 16710z so this might prove beneficial down the line.
    It also has a quickset day. Something that the 16710 doesn't. Of course the hand is a slave.
    I also read somewhere that the case is not exactly the same and that the 16700 is actually thinner.. anyway, I own one so I am not completely impartial to this!

Think I'm with Omegamaniac on this - the 16700 has the modern looks of the Master II but without the most functionally useful improvement from the Master. So in this case I'm not sure rarity will add much to future values. Its sinilar to the way that a gloss dial 16800 with white gold markers doesn't have a rarity premium compared to a similar age 16610 despite being much rarer. They are all lovely watches though!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribena36 View Post
    Maybe swap it for a year if u both fancy a change?

That's what I was thinking too.