closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blancpain Fifty Fathoms - From a Homage to the Real Thing

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms - From a Homage to the Real Thing

A while back I tried out a Seiko Fifty Five Fathoms. It was very nice and at about £180 including the Brady Sailcloth strap was a fairly decent knockabout.

Whilst wearing it, I wanted to learn more about the watch that it was a homage to, the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. I found several decent write ups including this fantastic review by yonsson. I am not going to attempt to compete with it as pretty much everything is in there, but just a few interesting facts. One of the oldest Watch makers in the world, made the first single direction bezel and the FF was released a full year before the Rolex Submariner. So a company and a watch with a rich history.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-on-the-wrist)

Fast forward to last Saturday morning and I received a regular e-mail from Watchfinder and the watch in focus for the week was the FF. I sat there looking at the Omega Snoopy on my wrist and thought should I?

So I rang Tom Holland at Watchfinder, who I have dealt with before and after a pleasent chat it seems that I had agreed a deal with him. Off went the Snoopy and today the Fifty Fathoms on the Sailcloth Strap with Blancpain deployant duly arrived.

Although it is 45mm diameter, it does wear smaller due to the curved lugs. Below is a photo next to a 4 line 14060m which is 40mm and in all honesty there is not a huge amount in it. The FF certainly doesn't look like a monster.

The new arrival is a late 2012 watch and is absolutely stunning. The one thing that struck me was that everyone who has one seems to love it. The engraving of the word Blancpain down the left hand side of the watch has caused some comment in other threads, but using yonssons hamburger analogy, you cannot see it when wearing the watch unless you strike a Superman pose and look along your arm. Personally I like it and think it is a nice touch.

The final image is the caseback, highly polished and nicely engraved. No need for clear casebacks here.

The power reserve is 120 hours, that is absolutely incredible and the lume shines like a torch. The sapphire domed insert is a work of art. This is just one stunning watch. I am going to try an experiment and just wear this one watch and see if I can reach a point were it seems senseless to buy a second watch.

So it just shows you, to those who knock homages as just cheap copies of other watches. Sometimes buying a homage can take you down a road that you didn't expect.

Thanks for reading,
    Ken
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 12th May 2017 at 14:48.

I still have no respect for "homages". (Copies) - but there is truly something special about the Blancpain FF in my eyes. Some of the attraction is the heritage, of course.

I'd love one!

Master
    Lovely. looking fwd to seeing it on SC next month

Craftsman
    LOL at the striking a superman pose!

I must say, I quite like the writing on the side. Great pickup.

Master
    Well done,very nice indeed.

Master
    Congratulations - a lovely watch. For me its a true contender for a 'one watch', I rarely wear anything else.

Absolutely love the FF, I've been sorely tempted many a time but just can't bring myself to spend so much on a 'strapped' watch!
    (And IMO it doesn't look half as good on the bracelet!)

Good on you mate....

What a shiny tool that is! Very nice Ken. One watch though; probably not

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I did like that 50 fathoms. It's on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Absolutely love the FF, I've been sorely tempted many a time but just can't bring myself to spend so much on a 'strapped' watch!
    (And IMO it doesn't look half as good on the bracelet!)

Good on you mate....
    They do it in white and yellow gold as well. I know you like your gold

A lovely watch indeed. I've had a soft spot for these since I saw my first one (and only one in the wild). Certainly a more left field choice over the normal rolex sub etc and prefer this to the Bathyscape, though that does look like it wears smaller. To me the design of the bezel is possibly one of the best out there with its slight doming (is that a word?). The face is clear and precise and I love the hands. How is the finish compared to rolex / omega etc?

I've had a FiftyFiveFathoms...
    I've got a PRS-50LE (previously owned by you)...
    Is it inevitable?
    Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 12th May 2017 at 15:30.

Master
    Hi Ken

Fabulous watch. This is a grail for many and very close to the top of my wish list. A real beauty and with the huge power reserve, a very practical watch too. Congrats on your purchase.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Incredible watch and homage. I would rather own this as opposed to a DSSD or a SD43 any day. Unfair to compare Rolex against BP I know. But the BP FF really rocks.

Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    To me the design of the bezel is possibly one of the best out there with its slight doming (is that a word?).

How is the finish compared to rolex / omega etc?
    The bezel insert is sapphire and it is domed. Apparently it is a difficult and expensive process to make the inserts.

The finish and all round quality is superb. The key difference, again using yonssons hamburger analogy is that everything is curved. I just checked it against the Sub in the image and whilst that has edges on the case and the bracelet, the FF just curves everywhere. The crown is probably the best crown that I have come across, very solid and no risk of cross threads etc. The click of the bezel is firm, yet with a nice solid click.

It is a tricky one, because the FF effectively competes with the Sub, yet the RRP is almost twice as much.

Craftsman
    Why are there so many threads about the FF at the moment? Is is just to remind me about the one I sold a couple of months ago - yes I know none of you knew - to make me regret selling it. I have to say, it is a stunning watch and is a very special diver. I loved it. However, I wanted to try some other watches and I couldn't without moving it on. To those looking at them and going 'mmmm should I?' I would say yes, yes and thrice yes. Another thing to bear in mind when you are deciding is which one you like best. I personally want to see one of the blue dialled ones in the flesh again. I had the Aqua Lung, black dial, brushed finish and display case back. I think my ideal would be blue dial, brushed finish and solid caseback but thankfully they don't do one like that!

Master
    It's a looker, no doubt. If you have a big wrist, it's hard to imagine much better.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Lovely watch, one I'll try at some point for sure. Enjoy Ken!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The bezel insert is sapphire and it is domed. Apparently it is a difficult and expensive process to make the inserts.

The finish and all round quality is superb. The key difference, again using yonssons hamburger analogy is that everything is curved. I just checked it against the Sub in the image and whilst that has edges on the case and the bracelet, the FF just curves everywhere. The crown is probably the best crown that I have come across, very solid and no risk of cross threads etc. The click of the bezel is firm, yet with a nice solid click.

It is a tricky one, because the FF effectively competes with the Sub, yet the RRP is almost twice as much.
    Thanks for the information. I've just been checking out the prices on chrono24 and I'll be honest I didn't think they'd be that expensive used. I suppose as with most things the cost is down to quality and exclusivity. I'd certainly put it a level or two above the average sub then. One day, maybe, if the winds blowing the right direction I'll look at chopping my subc for one (with a bit more cash from me obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I've had a FiftyFiveFathoms...
    I've got a PRS-50LE (previously owned by you)...
    Is it inevitable?
    Oh yes, you are on a slippery slope.

From one great watch to another! Another watch that I have lusted over for a long time.

Nice one, Ken. The FF is a truly sublime watch with a movement to die for... you can't go wrong with it.

Lovely. I could never afford a real one but happy with my FFF. But that's gorgeous.... it def wears smaller than 44.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Surprised at how small it looks like it wears, great pick up.

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms - From a Homage to the Real Thing

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I still have no respect for "homages". (Copies) - but there is truly something special about the Blancpain FF in my eyes. Some of the attraction is the heritage, of course.

I'd love one!
    I beg to differ here. The fifty five fathoms is a cheeky "tribute" rather than a homage. There is a distinct difference.

Last edited by professorfail; 12th May 2017 at 18:43.

Quote Originally Posted by professorfail View Post
    I beg to differ here. The fifty five fathoms is a cheeky "tribute" rather than a homage. There is a distinct difference.

Agreed, yes it starts life as a normal Seiko sports model before the modification - so not a homage as such, but the point is still the same.

Very nice Ken, I was never a fan of that white Snoopy.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Lovely. looking fwd to seeing it on SC next month
    It's the 14060 that I'm waiting for!

Nice one Ken, the Snoopy was just another speedmaster after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Agreed, yes it starts life as a normal Seiko sports model before the modification - so not a homage as such, but the point is still the same.
    Oh there's no doubt that it can't even compare to the real thing. I do however have an issue with people bashing homage watches (although I would always go to a watch that was "it's own thing" rather than a homage). For some people, it's a good introduction to it and if you can't afford a sub then a Steinhart Ocean 1 is a good way of doing it, no doubt they'll buy one when they can but at least they aren't buying a fashion watch.

Yeah the FFF is a bit of a grey area. I'm completely cool with wearing it because it isn't trying to be a fifty fathoms it's saying "I'm a seiko 5 and I've been modded to look like a legendary diver" and any watch enthusiast would know that. Big difference between that and a homage.

Master
    Lovely Ken, you have my full approval on this one, (for what it's worth), well done.

A quick thought, Just reading yonsson's review and he says its 15.5mm deep. How does it sit on your wrist? are you able to wear it under a shirt cuff etc?

Craftsman
    Very nice Ken

I went to Basel for the first time this year & for me blancpain stood head & shoulders above most!!

Well done,Ken. A thing of beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    A quick thought, Just reading yonsson's review and he says its 15.5mm deep. How does it sit on your wrist? are you able to wear it under a shirt cuff etc?
    Luckily for me, I am no dedicated follower of fashion and it works great with a tee shirt.

Seriously though, the shape of the caseback does sink into your wrist a little. I just popped a ruler next to the watch and on the wrist it was more like 13mm proud. I suppose it depends how tightly fitting you wear your shirts. Clearly bulkier than the average dress watch, but comparable I would suggest to most of the current Rolex Sports divers.

Master
    damn makes me wanna get one too. i'm on the wait list for the milspec version but these threads really not helping!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The FF is a lovely watch. Congratulations.

Blog Entries
    Great watch. You mentioned the large name on the case. Despite the fact that I am not Superman and not stretching my arm when in motion, I don't like the lettering. That's really the only thing that keeps me away from the modern Blancpains.

I am a fan of the older models. My father used to own one... He had a shipbuilder's workshop and always boarded for a testrun of new merchant ships on the North Sea. (His workshop used to -partly- built those ships' mechanics). During a trip in the early 70s he lost his 'old French divers watch'. It went overboard near Newcastle or so. No big deal back then... and replaced it with a Seiko...

According to pics with my late father on it, the watch was an FF!

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 12th May 2017 at 22:04.

Craftsman
    Very nice pick-up Ken - looks fabulous!

In one respect you are correct - the Seiko isn't a copy, but it was the OP who mentioned Homage.

Read my post in general terms - that is how I feel

Wow thats gorgeous. Thats lit a fire in me for sure. Added to the list...

Nice pick up you must be delighted. Looks perfect size on your wrist next to the rolex. Be interested to see how you get on with it as an only watch. I tried that with mine and almost succeeded but it was just a fraction too tall to go under the cuff of some of my work shirts!

Any excuse to buy something new!

Master
    I have never seen a sample of the FF; only pictures. Is the bezel really as glossy as it looks in the pictures? I tend to prefer something a bit more toned-down.

The FF does look fabulous, the whole dial, crystal and bezel almost looks liquid in pictures it's so shiny, but I guess in water it becomes almost one with no distortion at at all.
    Think I would want a bracelet also, but have to agree it does look better on the sail cloth.

Really? What makes it a cheeky tribute? It is a Seiko modded to look like a FF. That is all it is.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I have never seen a sample of the FF; only pictures. Is the bezel really as glossy as it looks in the pictures? I tend to prefer something a bit more toned-down.
    The metal is highly polished, the surface of the insert less so. I suppose it is down to personal taste, I see a lot of posts from people who struggle with the central polished links on a Rolex bracelet or comment that the PP Sports models are scratch magnets, this is similar. For those who prefer the brushed matt finish, this model would not be for you.

Blog Entries
    Nice one, I love mine. :)
    its a great everyday watch, especially on a thin 23mm Zuludiver nato.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Really? What makes it a cheeky tribute? It is a Seiko modded to look like a FF. That is all it is.
    Yes precisely. So therefore a tribute surely. A bit like a tribute band. I consider a homage slightly different. But find neither offensive which was the point I was trying to make. Not entirely sure what you are trying to say here anyway.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post

This is what it looks like in most light conditions.

Yes precisely. So therefore a tribute surely. A bit like a tribute band. I consider a homage slightly different. But find neither offensive which was the point I was trying to make. Not entirely sure what you are trying to say here anyway.

We should stop bickering about homage watches and just congratulate the OP on his beautiful new purchase.

We should stop bickering about homage watches and just congratulate the OP on his beautiful new purchase
    Thank you that sounds like a plan.