closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: drifting chrono hands on PRS-17-C

drifting chrono hands on PRS-17-C

So here's an interesting question.

When I opened the box containing my new (new to me at least) PRS-17C, the two central chrono hands (seconds and minutes totalizers) were pointing at 48 minutes. Running and resetting them had them reset to 48 minutes. Easily re-zeroable to 0 seconds though of course, fortunately.

I asked the fellow I bought her from, and he said that when he had gotten her, the hands were also zero'd incorrectly. Of course, both he and the guy he got her from had shipped her with the chrono hands correctly zero'd.

Another thing is that I've noticed over the past day or so the central seconds hand seems to drift that direction -- so far, it's drifted from 0 seconds to 59 seconds, but then it drifts back to 0 seconds by itself.

Anyone else notice this? Is it due to temperature fluctuations or something else? Low battery, maybe? I've noticed that the central second totalizer will kind of get stuck for an extra second when it's in operation, then kind of "skip ahead" two seconds at once, but in a very inconsistent fashion - maybe once every 1-2 minutes.

Kind of odd. Never seen that happen on a watch before, but I've never had one of these ETA 262's either.

Just wanted to make sure that I don't need to have her serviced or a new battery or something.

Thanks!

-j

Master
    Blog Entries

Re: drifting chrono hands on PRS-17-C

My 17C chrono hands often[*] mis-align when they receive a hard knock, maybe the postal service is a bit brutal?
    [*] got mine as soon as they were released, so I'm talking about 5 times in 14 months

Master

how olds the watch?

i would change the battery its the simplest,cheapest thing to do and the most likely problem...

the one i had was allways spot on

I found the minute chrono hand pointing to around 55 a couple of times. The first time I thought I must have knocked it, the second time I was sure I hadn't. Resetting is, of course, straightforward and both occasions were when the watch was new. I haven't had the problem since despite regular use of the chrono functions. I have not noticed any problems with other hands.

If I recall correctly, there was some discussion of this before.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by JDB

If I recall correctly, there was some discussion of this before.
    There was, see here:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=30013

I still have the watch and it's probably my most worn. I find that it'll be fine for weeks and weeks and then it'll go through a few days of the chrono minute hand moving to a new position a couple of times a day. This continues for a few days and then it'll be fine for weeks again.

It even does it whlist sitting on a desk overnight, so it can't be shock related.

I tried removing and cleaning the battery and then it didn't do it for a while. When you refit the battery, the chrono hands whizz round like mad - so I think it might be power related.

I've just learnt to live with it now.

cheers

Steve

Ah ha... very interesting!

Thanks for the information and post.

I'll crack her and clean and adjust the contacts... and I have to find a place to get a new 394 -- stopped by two pharmacies today and found a 392, 395, and 396 batteries, but no 394!

-j

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ditchdigger
    the one i had was allways spot on
    And I am its new owner and funnily enough I had to re-zero the chrono when I received it, and once more a couple of days later, but it's been fine since :)

I can't really remember but I'm fairly sure I had a similar issue with my Tag F1 chrono, as I remember looking up how to do it...

Master

in that case i would guess it could be caused by being knocked around,

as in the post

though thinking about it i have had to reset my seiko chrono hands

a few times, no major problem though

had a look ive loads of batteries but not the one you need

or i would send you one

a good source is some of the pound shops you get a big card

of about 50 [mines hyundai] for you got it a pound... :wink: :lol:

Master

I think you're right it's a shock thing ...albeit maybe sometimes delayed maybe??

I remember now, I wore the Tag when I ran the Reading half marathon.

It coped fine with that, but next time I picked up,maybe a week later, I needed to re-zero the hands.

Certainly the PRS-17C is fine now and I'm very pleased with it - got it on a Watchadoo lumpy and it looks great :)

Anyway it's no big deal to re-zero anyway if needs be :)

Master

BTW, just to be clear, I mention the Tag F1 Chrono in my comments as it has the same movement as the PRS17-C :)

Thanks again everyone for the great replies!

ditchdigger,
    Thanks for the thought and the offer! That 394 is surprisingly hard to find here in the states. Energizer doesn't seem to even have an equivalent.

But I went to my local Radio Shack and bought a Radio Shack 394 (which, curiously, when you open the package, is just a genuine Renata 394 instead of another manufacturer) and that seems to work.

On changing the battery my chrono hands all got dislodged too. I cleaned off the battery and the contacts with some acetone, so hopefully that will improve the contact.

So far no problems!

Also... if anyone ever is changing out the batteries, I have a tip.

You don't have to take the two retaining screws OUT in order to slip off the retaining plate/cover. It's better to leave them half-attached.

In fact, if you do, there's a good chance that you'll lose the damn screws, or if not, it's damn hard to put back into their holes!*

-j

*I don't know what you're asking me that for. I never had this problem. Honest.