closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ICC Champions Trophy

Master

ICC Champions Trophy

Just back from a great day out at the Oval with my son (making up somewhat for the disappointment of the play-off final on Monday!).

England looked pretty comfortable throughout and whilst Jason Roy's form remains a concern (what was he doing playing that shot on 1?!), Hales, Root and Morgan looked in great nick.

The bowling looks a little ordinary but on these flat tracks I guess it's hard to impress. Woakes' injury looks to be a concern though. I think if England can keep players fit they are in with a great chance of their first major one-day trophy.

Anyone else going and any other thoughts on the outcome?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Just back from a great day out at the Oval with my son (making up somewhat for the disappointment of the play-off final on Monday!).

England looked pretty comfortable throughout and whilst Jason Roy's form remains a concern (what was he doing playing that shot on 1?!), Hales, Root and Morgan looked in great nick.

The bowling looks a little ordinary but on these flat tracks I guess it's hard to impress. Woakes' injury looks to be a concern though. I think if England can keep players fit they are in with a great chance of their first major one-day trophy.

My 12 yr old son is going tomorrow. Sure it's at edgebaston. Going with
    His school. £10. Ticket and coach. Can't be bad

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    I'm there on Sunday - India v Pakistan at Edgbaston. Hoping for a cracker. The atmosphere when these 2 play each other is normally brilliant. Early start on the trains though...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    NZ v Australia, should be a cracker, hope he has a great day!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I'm there on Sunday - India v Pakistan at Edgbaston. Hoping for a cracker. The atmosphere when these 2 play each other is normally brilliant. Early start on the trains though...

Another cracker, enjoy!

This tournament is so much more interesting than the endless pointless matches of the World Cup...

Went today, thought the atmosphere was great when Bangladesh batted, but was a little flat during the England innings as they were so in control. Roy's shot was poor, he needs to stay in his comfort zone and relax.

Woakes is a concern, without him the balance gets shifted, Willey is a good replacement but can be expensive if the ball is not swinging. Hoping for some exciting games.

Apprentice

I think Roy is a fantastic opener but Bairstow is in form and it's difficult to argue that the form player shouldn't be playing. If Root scores runs, the team win because it allows the rest of the team to play shots. He's so important.

Bowling was average at best - Plunkett bowled reasonably well. Jake Ball needs replacing with Rashid. I'd put Willy in for Woakes.

There are so many good teams - I'd say 6 of the 8 could win to be honest. Have you tried playing the fantasy, you can play super 6 too which is the best players in each days game? Might be fun to play with your son to have a bit of competition http://fantasy.icc-cricket.com/

I like the Champions Trophy - no weird double group faffing around like the World Cup. Short and sweet too in less than 3 weeks!

My take on the game - first up our bowling is weak without Woakes. Not sure who's gonna come in and have the same venom as he. I was also annoyed and surprised they left out Rashid, given the team is all about 'stability' and not changing things he should have stayed in and has done quite well so far too this yr.

If they chopped Rashid they should have chopped Roy - the likelihood is they will keep him all tournament. The issue is we cannot change later as it gets too deep into the tournament to bring in someone new. Hopefully he picks up some form.

Overall a good game - Bangladesh are a good side, but panic when they lose wickets. Bowling is also average when not in sub-continent conditions. They're definitely getting better and more consistent. I think they'll give the other teams in the group a good game.

Stuart Broad's name keeps cropping up in any discussion as to who replaces Woakes, and he would be my choice. All the experience in the world, and although his batting hasn't been the same since he was injured a while ago, he's a better bowler than Willey, who's very ordinary if the ball isn't swinging.

Roy should be dropped. He's in a poor run of form, and not showing any signs of turning it around, so I would move Root up to open with Hales, Morgan to 3 and bring Bairstow in, which would give us a formidable middle order.

England never looked in trouble yesterday after Roy departed, and Bangladesh are no walkover, or they wouldn't be in the competition. Right now I'm watching a couple of hours of New Zealand vs Australia, who complete our Group, and hoping that they both lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Stuart Broad's name keeps cropping up in any discussion as to who replaces Woakes, and he would be my choice. All the experience in the world, and although his batting hasn't been the same since he was injured a while ago, he's a better bowler than Willey, who's very ordinary if the ball isn't swinging.

Roy should be dropped. He's in a poor run of form, and not showing any signs of turning it around, so I would move Root up to open with Hales, Morgan to 3 and bring Bairstow in, which would give us a formidable middle order.

England never looked in trouble yesterday after Roy departed, and Bangladesh are no walkover, or they wouldn't be in the competition. Right now I'm watching a couple of hours of New Zealand vs Australia, who complete our Group, and hoping that they both lose.
    The only thing with Broad is he hasn't really played much in the ODI side. I think if the tournament was anywhere else in the world he's probably not that special to bring in, but in Blighty conditions he's lethal.

Agree with the rest, Root has pretty much opened anyway so no real change. Bairstow is class, should be finding a place for him regardless.

Well, today's no-result was the best possible result for England!

The Group situation: England 2 points, New Zealand and Australia 1, Bangladesh nul points. Top two progress to the semi-finals.

Next match: England vs New Zealand on Tuesday at Cardiff.

Was wondering why there were lot of Aussies Kiwis and 'Cricketeers' around in Brum today..
    Struggled to get a pint before my train home...😀

Just picked my son up. He went edgbaston with the school. He only paid £2. Coach and ticket. Shame about the rain though He had a good time he said

Right watching the Ind vs Park game and after India scored 320 off 48 overs, Pakistan's 'revised' total for 48 overs was 324 - how did it go up!?!?!

And after the rain break, the revised score to get is 289 off 41 overs!?! Something is seriously wrong with D/L that seems ridiculous. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Right watching the Ind vs Park game and after India scored 320 off 48 overs, Pakistan's 'revised' total for 48 overs was 324 - how did it go up!?!?!

And after the rain break, the revised score to get is 289 off 41 overs!?! Something is seriously wrong with D/L that seems ridiculous. Thoughts?
    D/L is complicated to say the least, but takes in to account, when the rain came and the side knew from the start what the total was. As what used to happen was the side Batting 2nd always won unless their innings was the one impacted by the rain. Millions of data sets were annualised to work it out.not perfect but better than it used to be.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duckworth–Lewis_method

If you would like to know more and need something to help you sleep.

Only two people understand the Duckworth-Lewis system, and I'm not one of them.

However, the fact that India only lost three wickets is relevant, as the system is calculated on the "resources" that the chasing side have. If India had been seven or eight wickets down at the close of their innings, Pakistan's target would have been lower.

If India could field, they would win this easily.

Only two people understand the Duckworth-Lewis system, and I'm not one of them.

However, the fact that India only lost three wickets is relevant, as the system is calculated on the "resources" that the chasing side have. If India had been seven or eight wickets down at the close of their innings, Pakistan's target would have been lower.

If India could field, they would win this easily.
    Yea forgot about the wickets bit - doesn't then I assume take into account going berserk at the end of an innings and sacrificing wickets? Thanks for the Wiki link Andy I'm sure I'll read every word of it

Mind you, India is winning quite handily even with the poor fielding.

This is very much a batting/power hitting tournament and Pakistan just don't have that. I think West Indies would do better in this format than Pakistan. Good Test team, poor ODI team.

Yea forgot about the wickets bit - doesn't then I assume take into account going berserk at the end of an innings and sacrificing wickets? Thanks for the Wiki link Andy I'm sure I'll read every word of it

Mind you, India is winning quite handily even with the poor fielding.

This is very much a batting/power hitting tournament and Pakistan just don't have that. I think West Indies would do better in this format than Pakistan. Good Test team, poor ODI team.
    India also have probably one of the strongest bowling line ups, along with SA they are the best two attacks. But flat batting tracks, lack of swing with the white ball, make it easy for the batsmen too. Not sure the Windies would do well, as they all want to play 20/20 and none of their stars play 50 overs any more.

Master
    Atmosphere at the game yesterday was great. Real shame about the weather - constant 'rain stops play' made it difficult for either team to build momentum. Think India did well, especially at the end - watching the 3 consecutive 6's from Pandya was brilliant. The crowd celebrated everything - well the India supporters did anyway.

Good tournament so far, but agree that it suits a big hitting side better.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    India also have probably one of the strongest bowling line ups, along with SA they are the best two attacks. But flat batting tracks, lack of swing with the white ball, make it easy for the batsmen too. Not sure the Windies would do well, as they all want to play 20/20 and none of their stars play 50 overs any more.
    I like a bit of a contest between bat and ball and its just not happening at the moment. Though a few decent spinners like Tahir look certain to do well.

Probably true about Windies in retrospect.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Atmosphere at the game yesterday was great. Real shame about the weather - constant 'rain stops play' made it difficult for either team to build momentum. Think India did well, especially at the end - watching the 3 consecutive 6's from Pandya was brilliant. The crowd celebrated everything - well the India supporters did anyway.

Good tournament so far, but agree that it suits a big hitting side better.

Yes I can imagine the weather breaks wouldn't have helped, but the banter in the crowd looked good which is fantastic to see!

Master
    Well we are off to England v NZ tomorrow, hoping for the best weatherise but not overly optimistic.

I think it's time they took a more pragmatic approach e.g. today would have benefitted from an earlier start and/or shorter match given the forecast, which these days are pretty accurate on the day. An early decision could have saved the match.

Also agree with the points above re flat tracks, while the cricketing powers that be seem to want high scoring slug-fests I'd prefer a more even battle between bowler and batsman. Most of the wickets I have seen are from batting errors rather than great bowling.

Well we are off to England v NZ tomorrow, hoping for the best weatherise but not overly optimistic.

I think it's time they took a more pragmatic approach e.g. today would have benefitted from an earlier start and/or shorter match given the forecast, which these days are pretty accurate on the day. An early decision could have saved the match.

Also agree with the points above re flat tracks, while the cricketing powers that be seem to want high scoring slug-fests I'd prefer a more even battle between bowler and batsman. Most of the wickets I have seen are from batting errors rather than great bowling.
    Yep damn shame - half surprised Australia didn't try knocking them off ASAP. They must have known it would be a tight finish to get to 20 overs - thats also not accounting Bangladesh were out 5 overs early.

No idea why you're getting so much rain, it's been non stop dry in the Netherlands for the past 4/5 days

Which reminds me - though I hate the ICC with a passion, since the Netherlands has no broadcaster picking up the cricket, all matches are streamed for free live on Facebook. Well done to them!

England are 56-1 after 11 overs, and predictably the "1" is Jason Roy. How long are England going to persist with him?

I know that he has had some decent performances in the past, but he doesn't look confident at all, and the opposition bowlers know that they can give themselves an early morale-booster.

Thankfully, we have Joe Root and a decent middle order these days. England need to let Roy go back to Surrey and rediscover his form.

Rant over, this is going to be a challenging day for England, as the weather in Cardiff is overcast and blustery. Morgan has now lost the toss almost as many times as Nasser Hussain, and we're much better when we're chasing, so the day hasn't started well. No Woakes, Rashid is playing instead, so we're hoping that the Cardiff wicket turns a bit. Although Root has just hit New Zealand spinner Mitchell Santner back over his head for six.

If we can win this, thanks to other Group games being rained off, we're into the semi-finals. If not, we'll need to beat Australia.

Given we're getting into the business end soon we must be ruthless and change things. Roy has not the confidence to be relied on for the bigger matches at the moment. More frustrating when the pitches are so benign and most dismissals have been self inflicted in this tournament.

Bring on Bairstow for the next game. We cannot persist with this Roy strategy at the moment - one game Root and another middle order will fail.

Good start so far from Hales and Root.

Master

ICC Champions Trophy

I never dreamt we'd see a full day's cricket today. It was bloody cold and windy but the worst of the rain came between innings luckily.

I thought England were a touch under par but a great bowling performance saw off NZ. I thought Rashid was very tidy and it was odd he bowled 10 when dropped last time but Moeen didn't bowl.

Bring on the Aussies!

That was a good win over a very decent side, and means that we don't need to worry (too much) about the Australia game. Well, not worry apart from always needing to beat Australia. And possibly avoiding India in the semi-final.

Not bowling Moeen was odd, given that we could have played Bairstow instead.

Craftsman
    I thought the reason Roy was selected was to get the innings off to a flying start, against Bangladesh he scored 1 off 8 balls, and today against NZ 13 off 23 balls. Poor by anyone's standards. Bairstow is class and rarely fails and scores quickly and can't get a look in.
    Apart from that we look a very good team.

That was a good win over a very decent side, and means that we don't need to worry (too much) about the Australia game. Well, not worry apart from always needing to beat Australia. And possibly avoiding India in the semi-final.

Not bowling Moeen was odd, given that we could have played Bairstow instead.
    I think it ended up not being much of a track for slow bowling, though Rashid did pretty good today. Moeen is there in the team for the options. The simple matter is Roy out and Bairstow in with either Bairstow opening or Root.

Overall well done to England - I find it remarkable we got over 300 despite losing wickets at regular/key times and no one really making a big score. Shows how well we can adapt and the strength in depth. And to add the bowling was outstanding today, something missing in the last few games. We want to finish top of the group - this tournament is all about momentum and a loss would be an unwanted stutter.

Edit: realised we're guaranteed top position regardless, but the point on momentum still stands!

Cracking game between Pakistan and South Africa, shame the darn rain has stopped things. Birmingham - sort your act out!

Note how the games are far more interesting when the bowlers have a chance and totals require some tactical cricket apart from smashing it to hell into the stands. Oh and I take my comment on DLS back - enhanced the match for me. Maybe the Pakistani batters out there have been a bit too wary of it in their approach of the chase?

And finally - notice how cricket tournaments are much more interesting when Pakistan are playing well. They bring so much fun to cricket!

Apprentice
    It's a very open tournament this year! Will have to see how it all pans out come the finals. Hoping that England don't come up against India again, it rarely ends well!

Well all to play for in Group B! What a wonderful game and such a well paced chase by Sri Lanka. They were excellent. First game their captain Mathews has played in since last yr and it showed how important he is to the side. An excellent 50. I think a fair few teams will be studying how Sri Lanka effectively went after the Indian bowlers, especially Jadeja. Made him look very ordinary.

Two effective quarter finals in the group - lets hope rain doesn't ruin it.

Master
    Didn't see today's result coming...!

Didn't see today's result coming...!

Me neither, but well done SL. I fancied India to win, purely because of their batting attack. But clearly you need a few bowlers as well.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    The India/SL was excellent. Great run chase that I didn't see coming. Has left Group B looking fun!

Bangladesh/NZ game looks better balanced now after a couple of quick wickets. Still fancy NZ, though they'll still need to rely on England tomorrow as well

If England win their group, they could face SL or Pakistan next and only one of SA or India go through. No could be out of it today too, wide open.

Bangladesh beating New Zealand now means that Australia have to beat England tomorrow, or they'll be going home. England are through to the semi-finals anyway, but today's result adds a bit of spice to tomorrow's game.

Master
    Bangladesh beating New Zealand now means that Australia have to beat England tomorrow, or they'll be going home. England are through to the semi-finals anyway, but today's result adds a bit of spice to tomorrow's game.
    Was a somewhat surprising result today as I think I saw Bangladesh at 12 for 3 at one point!

My son and I are off to Edgbaston tomorrow, let's hope we send the Aussies home!

Master
    Just watched the highlights of Bangladesh v New Zealand - how did Bangladesh recover from that start!??? Fabulous batting and two centuries in the Bangla innings - superb display.

This tournament just gets better!

Well, England bowled better today, but we didn't start too well with the bat. It's looking better now, though, as we seem to be "doing a Bangladesh".

Win this, Australia go home and we get a semi-final against the runners-up from Group B. Right now, that could be any of the teams in Group B though!
    Last edited by Backward point; 10th June 2017 at 18:05. Reason: Don't know my Group A from Group B!

Well, England bowled better today, but we didn't start too well with the bat. It's looking better now, though, as we seem to be "doing a Bangladesh".

Win this, Australia go home and we get a semi-final against the runners-up from Group A. Right now, that could be any of the teams in Group A though!
    England bat so deep - I mean you take 3 wickets and then Stokes comes in. Still got Jos and Moeen next who can build platforms too. Will feel very satisfying if we boot the Australians out of the tournament!

I think if we win the group, due to the run rates we are likely to get Sri Lanka or Pakistan?

Oh dear. Morgan's gone.

Still, that only means one thing - IT'S BUTTLER TIME!!!

Sorry, I don't know the answer to the above post, but right now I think we'd happily take either. Don't forget, we gave Pakistan a good tonking the last time we played them in a 50-over match.

Oh dear. Morgan's gone.

Still, that only means one thing - IT'S BUTTLER TIME!!!

Sorry, I don't know the answer to the above post, but right now I think we'd happily take either. Don't forget, we gave Pakistan a good tonking the last time we played them in a 50-over match.
    Just checked the table - looks Sri Lanka or Pakistan unless it is a ridiculously one sided match.

Rain looks to have curtailed things. But great Stokes performance, kept his head well. One thing we've learnt this game - Roy has to go next game. I'm sorry but this handicap won't do for the semis.

Agreed. Move Root up to open, bring in Bairstow.

Is it still raining? We're well ahead on Duckworth/Lewis, so it won't matter.

Master
    And Australia out....

Kind of a nice feeling to have knocked them out of the tournament...

Master
    Another great day at the cricket, sad to end with an abandoned match but at least the weather had the decency to hold off till Stokes got his 100!

Good bowling performance by England too, they are looking good because Rashid seems to have finally eliminated the bad balls, the seamers are a threat and then you get three of them out and you still have a bunch of world class batsman to come in!

South Africa.

What a shambles.

South Africa.

What a shambles.
    Hopefully a good omen for the Test series!

On to todays game - some sensational bowling from Pakistan at the moment. Sri Lanka cruising but 4 wickets lost for only 6 runs and everything happening out there. Riveting stuff.

Hopefully a good omen for the Test series!

On to todays game - some sensational bowling from Pakistan at the moment. Sri Lanka cruising but 4 wickets lost for only 6 runs and everything happening out there. Riveting stuff.
    Indeed. We've got a couple of T20 games against them as well.

Speaking of shambolic cricket, neither Pakistan nor Sri Lanka look particularly interested in winning what is effectively a quarter-final. England's coaching staff will sleep easily before Wednesday.

Indeed. We've got a couple of T20 games against them as well.

Speaking of shambolic cricket, neither Pakistan nor Sri Lanka look particularly interested in winning what is effectively a quarter-final. England's coaching staff will sleep easily before Wednesday.
    Shambolic the Pakistani batsmen. At least a few of the Sri Lankans got out to some genuine class fast bowling. Would rather face this Pakistan team - regardless of their bowling, anything above a score of 200 seems beyond them!

Oh speaking of the T20, seems we're playing a B team against SA from the announcement today. I'd be a bit peeved if I was a ticket buyer - these tickets aren't cheap to see a weak team playing.