closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunglasses

Master

Sunglasses

After years of Oakley use the past couple of pair haven't been anywhere near as well made in my opinion another case of a brand cheapening itself for more profits I thought. After a little bit of reading it seems that nearly all sunglasses brands are owned and made by luxottica well blow me down I had no idea. According to some places I read I'm not the only one to notice the build quality sacrifice in Oakleys, rayban and persol and here's me having no idea they're all made by the same people.
    So I've been on a bit of a mission the past week trying various makes away from luxottica, Maui Jim,Serengeti, costdelamr and a few others I can't remember now.
    I settled on Serengeti because the ones I found suited me, felt great and most importantly worked well looking through them Maui Jim where also nice to look through but I didn't find a style I liked from what I could try. Having had the Serengeti a few days now (andit's been sunny) ive been really impressed with them especially when driving they seem so much nicer to look through than I ever remember my Oakleys being maybe the honeymoon period but they're bloody nice.
    As an aside today I'm wearing my seadweller and while out and about wearing my sunglasses I can't explain this but when looking at the watch the dial and hands seem much much clearer and deeper even when glanced at from an angle has anyone else noticed this? I'm guessing it's something to do with polarisation or something I'm far from a expert in sunglasses etc but bloody hell my watch looks amazing through them, I'll be experimenting with other watcheslater to see if the same is true for them.

Always vintage Ray-Bans for me.

Solidly built quality. I've got a couple of pairs of Wayfarers, some Wayfarer II's and a couple of pairs of Aviators.

Most modern stuff is flimsy overpriced crap since Luxottica.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I have also noticed the deteriorating quality with Oakleys, walking past the opticians last night they had a poster with some nice looking Maui Jims so next time I'm passing and the they are open I am going to call in and take a look.

I've just changed from Persol, which I thought were very good quality to Vuarnet, which have a similar RRP and are still made in France. The Vuarnet are comparable in quality to Persol but are not so easily sourced in the UK. I also have a pair of Smith Optic which until recently were US made but have now been taken over by the Italians. Quality is similar to modern Rayban, but they're not so ubiquitous. With regards to clarity, I've found that glass, polarised lenses are best. Lens colour also has an impact too.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    the watch the dial and hands seem much much clearer and deeper even when glanced at from an angle has anyone else noticed this? I'm guessing it's something to do with polarisation or something I'm far from a expert in sunglasses etc but bloody hell my watch looks amazing through them,
    Your glasses are polarized. Sorry - now you're part of the club you'll never buy a non-polarized pair! They make everything (apart from LCD displays) look amazing.

Very difficult to correlate quality with price these days.

Im looking for a new pair. My particular problem is finding ones big enough for my fat head (call me Texas Ted). Ive lately been recommended to try Costa del Mar but Ive yet to find any to try on - any experiences ? (especially size-wise)

Having spent a bit over the years on Persol etc, I keep coming back to an ancient pair of Wayfarer Mk2s and my £25 American Optical pilots off eBay .
    Last edited by Bristolian; 3rd June 2017 at 19:42. Reason: Costa del confusion

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    I have quite a few pairs of sunglasses. Going right back to an old pair of Oakley Eye Jackets in cobalt with red iridium lenses, through Holbrooks, and recently I have bought a pair of Maui Jim Mavericks in hawaii blue to go with my Maui Jim Pilot 210. I love them all, but the Mavericks are really nice to look through. Another nice pair are my Arnette Catfish, they really seem to make colours pop, especially vegetation flaura and fauna.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    I would echo this thought.

I had a holiday in the US last Summer and having some family out there, got my Uncle to order some American Opticals for me from Amazon.
    They were $65 delivered next day with Prime. Massively impressed with them and having subsequently tried some expensive alternatives on in various shops while there, I think AO are a steal.
    Quite a bit more expensive here in Blighty, but I'd still recommend.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Your glasses are polarized. Sorry - now you're part of the club you'll never buy a non-polarized pair! They make everything (apart from LCD displays) look amazing.
    I think you're right, these also darken an lighten according to conditions which has been unreal when driving going through shaded areas with trees buildings etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post

Im looking for a new pair. My particular problem is finding ones big enough for my fat head (call me Texas Ted). Ive lately been recommended to try Costa del Sol but Ive yet to find any to try on - any experiences ? (especially size-wise)

Having spent a bit over the years on Persol etc, I keep coming back to an ancient pair of Wayfarer Mk2s and my £25 American Optical pilots off eBay .
    Costa del mar I think you mean lol I tried some they didn't suit me but they where very nice.

I can't believe you all knew about the luxottica thing and didn't tell me ha ha but I'm quite chuffed I wasn't imagining things regards build quality etc my juliets must be 16 years old now and aside from being a bit scratched up they're still going strong and they been through hell and back, a pair of Oakleys I bought at the airport last year and wore sparingly whilst driving look terrible with paint flaking off and lenses so scratched I'd be better off wearing a blindfold they live in a case when not on my face.

Master
    I've been looking for some new sunglasses lately and came across Dillon Optics. I really fancy a pair of the Stakes. They are an American brand sported by R Lee Ermey of Full Metal Jacket fame. The lenses look great and the technology sounds interesting too. Does anybody have any experience perchance?

Craftsman
    Wayfarer Raybans

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I've got a pair of polarised Oakleys and 3 pairs of Ray Bans, but best sunglasses I own in terms of lense quality are my Serengetis. The Ray Bans with polarised glass lenses run them a close second however.
    I guess I just don't rate plastic lenses.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by r1ch View Post
    I would echo this thought.

I had a holiday in the US last Summer and having some family out there, got my Uncle to order some American Opticals for me from Amazon.
    They were $65 delivered next day with Prime. Massively impressed with them and having subsequently tried some expensive alternatives on in various shops while there, I think AO are a steal.
    Quite a bit more expensive here in Blighty, but I'd still recommend.
    I'll be keeping an eye out for them to look at next time cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can buy AO from Silvermans for £79. They're still US made, but they're non-polarised and also quite heavy. I had three pairs and they all ended up on SC.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    You can buy AO from Silvermans for £79. They're still US made, but they're non-polarised and also quite heavy. I had three pairs and they all ended up on SC.
    Ah thanks non polarised is a deal breaker for me now after using these Serengetis I couldn't be happier with them at the moment and I'm debating buying a backup pair in case they stop making them or something.

Costa del mar I think you mean lol I tried some they didn't suit me but they where very nice.

How right you are- that'll teach me to try & multitask while posting. !

...my juliets must be 16 years old now and aside from being a bit scratched up they're still going strong and they been through hell and back...
    I have read somewhere the original Oakleys are now worth good money. Keep hold of them!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I have read somewhere the original Oakleys are now worth good money. Keep hold of them!
    Yeah so I've been told a few times I've even had someone stop me and offer to buy them lol, tbh they're so beat up now I doubt they'd be worth anything at all really but I do still love them. Have you seen the new Oakley madman? I had to try a pair on just to see but they're not mad they're bloody nuts yet surprisingly comfortable

Master
    What about Randolph? Still US issue? I always liked Oakley but the move to Italy has seen a downturn imo. I like the lenses tho' which is the important bit. Serengeti are nice as well.

Master
    Thanks to the OP for bringing this up as I purchased an original B&L pair of Pearl Top Outdoorsman back in the late eighties but sold them as I never wore them due to the classic aviator shape lenses and 61mm size being too big for my face. Last year I bought some RB3136 "Caravan" rectangular aviator style and smaller 55mm size which suit me much better however the quality certainly isn't what it used to be.

I'm looking for a similar style as the RB3136 but with silver frames and grey lenses and the AOs original pilot fit the bill but the 55mm size is not available from Silvermans but can be bought on Amazon for slightly less. However Randolph Engineering's Aviator, but with Polarized lenses, can be bought for £175 which is over £100 more and therefore wondered whether anyone had any experience of RE? Thanks.

Craftsman
    Not to derail the post, but I have loads of Juliets that I've collected over the years.

Apologies if you already know this, but you can send your Juliets back to Oakley, and they will replace all the gaskets etc, put new lenses in (at a cost obviously), and generally return them to a great condition.

Hope this is of use to someone!

I think you're right, these also darken an lighten according to conditions which has been unreal when driving going through shaded areas with trees buildings etc.

I can't believe you all knew about the luxottica thing and didn't tell me ha ha but I'm quite chuffed I wasn't imagining things regards build quality etc my juliets must be 16 years old now and aside from being a bit scratched up they're still going strong and they been through hell and back, a pair of Oakleys I bought at the airport last year and wore sparingly whilst driving look terrible with paint flaking off and lenses so scratched I'd be better off wearing a blindfold they live in a case when not on my face.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring View Post
    Not to derail the post, but I have loads of Juliets that I've collected over the years.

Apologies if you already know this, but you can send your Juliets back to Oakley, and they will replace all the gaskets etc, put new lenses in (at a cost obviously), and generally return them to a great condition.

Hope this is of use to someone!
    I didn't know that, thanks to you I'll have the house upside down tomorrow searching for them lol I love them no sunglasses have ever come close for me since my mind is running to when I last seen them now I'm pretty sure the coin that came with them is on my workbench somewhere but the glasses will be around somewhere. If you're ever selling a pair let me know I was gutted that they'd stopped making them when I wanted a new pair.

As an aside today I'm wearing my seadweller and while out and about wearing my sunglasses I can't explain this but when looking at the watch the dial and hands seem much much clearer and deeper even when glanced at from an angle has anyone else noticed this? I'm guessing it's something to do with polarisation or something I'm far from a expert in sunglasses etc but bloody hell my watch looks amazing through them, I'll be experimenting with other watcheslater to see if the same is true for them.
    I've been wearing Maui Jims for a good few years now, the dial on my GS was looking pretty sharp earlier this afternoon when out and about

Craftsman
    I can't fault Maui jims have a couple of pairs clear with good clarity
    Also got a pair of ray bans and a pair of Louis Vuitton both look good but don't protect eyes like Maui jims

I've been wearing the same pair of Maui Jim Kahunas (162-23) for 6-7 years with prescription MJ lenses, and haven't had a problem. They fit my 'fat head' easily, too! As with any sunglasses having a convex lens surface, care must be exercised when setting them down to avoid scratches.

Having read the article about how nearly all glasses are made by the same company I decided to try cheaper options.
    I generally have to buy a new pair every year as they get 365 days use a year - last pair were Polaroid brand - nice and light well made but I left them somewhere- next week I have 3 pairs arriving- all polycarbonate frames and polarized lenses and cost about $15 each .
    Hopefully decent enough for the money.

Can't do metal frames here they go rusty as soon as they get the slightest scratch.

Master
    Just got a pair of these

Vuarnet

"03
    THE DUDE
    Created in the 60s, the 03 model entered into legend with the film The Big Lebowski from the Coen brothers, where they were worn by Jeff Bridges, alias “The Dude”."

I have to say the best sunglasses I've ever owned. The lens quality beats anything else in my kitchen draw (where keys, wallets, etc. are kept) and that includes Persol, Rayban, Serengeti. Grey tint polarized. I'm really liking like the 'big lens' look which also gives a very wide viewing area sans frame.

I owned a blue pair of that Vuarnet model back in the '70s. One of the best sunglasses I've ever owned.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I owned a blue pair of that Vuarnet model back in the '70s. One of the best sunglasses I've ever owned.
    and the most money I've ever spent on sunglasses. I usually go for 'last years models' when they're down to the c. £120 mark. I searched and searched for a pair of these at the usual discounters but, in the end, went to Vuarnet direct for the best price... c. £200.

I've just got a pair of Vuarnet Districts with blue polarised lenses. I bought them from a AD in France and they were around £70 cheaper than the direct price. They only have one UK AD who doesn't appear to hold very much stock. I also fancy a pair of 02 with Polarlynx lenses.

Master
    I've just got a pair of Vuarnet Districts with blue polarised lenses. I bought them from a AD in France and they were around £70 cheaper than the direct price. They only have one UK AD who doesn't appear to hold very much stock. I also fancy a pair of 02 with Polarlynx lenses.

The more I read about Vuarnet it seems they're this secret brand that only people in the know are aware of. Everyone knows brands like Rayban or Persol or Oakley etc... heck you can't walk down the local high street without seeing several dozen people wearing Raybans, but when was the last time you saw anyone sporting a pair of Vuarnets? They aren't super flashy so they don't hit you in the face when you see them... they rely upon understated design and exemplary optics.

^ Agreed, I've also got a pair of Smith Optic, which are not as good as Vuarnet, but have similar heritage and are also fairly obscure.

Master
    Just bought a couple of pairs of Oakleys (specifically Holbrooks) for the first time, and I have to say I am not impressed with the quality. Not that different from my 30 euro Hawkers really. I didn't get what all the fuss was with Oakleys, but now I understand there's a pre- and post-Luxottica Oakley, which makes sense.
    Apart from the brands already mentioned, for me Oliver Peoples is also an understated yet excellent quality, though certainly not inexpensive. Carrera also offer good quality, especially so in the pairs that bear the Porsche co-branding

Master
    Anybody know a good place to source Maui Jims? I've just returned from a holiday in Thailand where I was surprised to find that they are more expensive over there than they are over here. I'm specifically after a pair of rose back swing.

Oakleys are certainly popular pre Luxotica. I had a 10 year old pair of M frames pinched from my bag recently.
    Tom Ford is certainly a nice brand to try, I have an old ish pair and they are very well built.
    I also have three pairs of Raybans which only get worn in cars, but actually the quality of them is ok.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Luxottica brands from Wiki - Olivers Peoples on there so thats me out from looking like Michael Weston

The house brands include the following:

The company also makes eyewear under license for the following designer labels:

Last edited by Dazzler; 12th June 2017 at 11:26.

Craftsman
    Like watches, everyone has their favourites.
    I've tried a good few over the years but for me it's Persol for best and Bolle for sports.

Having said that I'm between Persols at present and went back to Rayban Liteforce for this summer. I do need to try some Serengeti and Randolph's though.
    My Bolle Anaconda polarized have been on the beach and water with me for years and will need replacing soon, I won't look any further than another pair of those.

There's definitely more out there than the Luxottica brands.

One that's worth recommending, in my experience: Kaibosh is an independent company that offers good value and uses high-grade Hoya lenses. Their hand-finished frames are much higher-quality than the typical mass-produced junk you'll find for the money from the big brands. No naff logos, and they have a massive selection. :)

Tipton's Cinematique series was my favourite of all time, but that range apparently isn't produced any more. Their distinctive Vinylize line does have a few great frames interspersed among the fashion-victim stuff, though.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    The more I read about Vuarnet it seems they're this secret brand that only people in the know are aware of. Everyone knows brands like Rayban or Persol or Oakley etc... heck you can't walk down the local high street without seeing several dozen people wearing Raybans, but when was the last time you saw anyone sporting a pair of Vuarnets? They aren't super flashy so they don't hit you in the face when you see them... they rely upon understated design and exemplary optics.
    But they have a big logo on the bridge of your nose..........
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    But they have a big logo on the bridge of your nose..........
    Well yes... I have two pairs one with the huge logo and one without. I agree the logo is slightly off putting :-(

^ I think that can be removed

These are my vuarnet cat 3s. Don't see that the logo is an issue?
    Hinges on these are great BTW.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    I'm still loving my serengetis I will of course try the other brands suggested when it comes time to change but I've got to honest it'll be tough to beat these absolutely superb and all day comfort which for someone who doesn't wear glasses is saying quite a lot.

I prefer serengetis for daily wear /driving. The vuarnets are just for altitude /bright conditions really
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Vuarnets have different lenses and some are fine for driving but they made their name with mountains/skiing.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I'd recommend Randolph Aviators

Master
    I've had my Ray Ban aviators about 7 years and they're superb. Back then I was barely earning and money so it was a lot of money to drop on some sunnies. Glad I did though; theyve more than earned their price tag

Master
    ^ I think that can be removed
    like this :-)

^Much better. You'll get a tan triangle between your eyes too!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Vuarnets have different lenses and some are fine for driving but they made their name with mountains/skiing.
    This is why I chose the grey/polarized lenses.... better for driving.

Vuarnet have a really good before-and-after visual thing on their site where you can see the lens effects:

http://vuarnet.com/gb/glass/choose-your-glass-lenses#