closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RR Evoque - tell me it's crap?

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    why do you think the RRE is specifically suitable for women?us.
    I think it's the All-Terrain Progress Control (ATPC) state-of-the art system that enables you to set and maintain a steady speed when driving the Range Rover Evoque in challenging conditions. On tarmac, gravel, sand or snow, ATPC acts much like a low-speed cruise control in both forward and reverse gears.

I think this is why it was the Supreme winner of the Women's Car of the Year Award 2012. The Q3 was only 3rd so I would give it a miss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Oh hang on RR Evoke...yeah looks very nice, its the pelagos of mum trucks :)
    Huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Disco Sport is a more practical version of the same car.

For my needs it's a no brainer.

Not a Range Rover though.
    More practical, cheaper and a lot better looking (IMHO). If she needs 'more badge', I'd go for the Macan.

There's no such thing as a mans car, or a woman's car. But there is such a thing as a car designed to appeal to a certain market. Personally I'd be happy to drive anything as long as I can fit in it comfortably, not really into cars tbh. I think most modern 4x4's are a bit flashy, and I won't be buying another because they're also much less practical than a people carrier and mine has a turning circle like a barge, a button where I prefer a handbrake, but it's all subjective and isn't it great to have so many cars to choose from?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it just Evoque's that are for girls?

I've known 3 people who have had brand new Evoques, all went back multiple times for warranty work, all were given back before the end of the finance term.

One swapped for a Macan, one for a Disco Sport and another for a Q3. All much happier with their second choices.

Master
    I really fancy a Skoda Kodiaq. Currently driving an E-Class estate and unbelievably the kids are struggling for leg room.

A part of me wishes I went with the Skoda Superb Estate as that had acres of leg room. Looked at a Kodiaq the other weekend at it looks like a great package and due to the more upright seating position the kids would have much more space.

Getting rave reviews everywhere - http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/kodiaq

Happy hunting

Paul

We've had an Evoque for a couple of years now, one issue with the door catch shortly after purchase, fixed in a day otherwise completely trouble free. Personally, I rather like the styling, it's perfectly fine to drive, if a little slow and enough room inside. That said, the boot is pretty small and the visibility through the rear window isn't great, but ours has cameras all over the place so it's never really been a problem. Even parks itself if you're willing to wait the minute or two for it to sort itself out and do so. I think we've used that feature once.

So no, it's not crap.

If it had been my choice (and they were actually available at the time) I'd have probably gone for an F-Pace or a Macan but the missus was dead set on it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Disco Sport is a more practical version of the same car.

For my needs it's a no brainer.

Not a Range Rover though.
    This is what I would be looking at or, as an alternative, a Jaguar F Pace but don't consider the Evoque as crap at all.

I find it odd there's a perception that people buy an Evoque as they can't afford a Vogue or Sport.

I know of at least two people who had Vogues and sports before and preffered the Evoque for their needs (sister being one of them).

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    I find it odd there's a perception that people buy an Evoque as they can't afford a Vogue or Sport.

I know of at least two people who had Vogues and sports before and preffered the Evoque for their needs (sister being one of them).
    Yes, a friend of my parents had a new top of the range Range Rover - recently a Supercharged Autobiography - every 2-3 years since the early 90s to go with his sports cars. As he usually drives a Porsche 911, his wife ends up with the Range Rover. They were excited to get one of the first Evoques in the UK, but had so many problems it eventually had to go back. They got another, and when that went wrong within 6 months with similar gearbox issues, they cut their losses and bought a Macan.
    Last edited by HenPecked; 14th June 2017 at 12:52.

Anybody still want to buy one after reading this thread?

I know of at least two people who had Vogues and sports before and preferred the Evoque for their needs (sister being one of them).
    It's the same thought process that says you buy a Cayman because you can't afford a 911.

Obviously they do things differently, but some people just see one as the cheaper option of another (Personally I don't like 911s, but I would consider a Cayman if I was in the market for a sports car).

M.

Master
    Would a G waggon not make her happier??

I don't think there is that perception. The Vogue and the Sport are much larger cars, not many people want a car of that size regardless of whether they can afford it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    It's the same thought process that says you buy a Cayman because you can't afford a 911.

Obviously they do things differently, but some people just see one as the cheaper option of another (Personally I don't like 911s, but I would consider a Cayman if I was in the market for a sports car).

M.

Completely agree. "Boxters is a poor man's 911 " often said by those can't afford neither, nor have driven them. (911 owner but would have had a Boxtser in a heart beat if I didn't need the four seats)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I don't think there is that perception. The Vogue and the Sport are much larger cars, not many people want a car of that size regardless of whether they can afford it or not.
    That's the way I see it but from some of the posts here some people think different.

Craftsman
    It's crap!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    She's now going off the idea.

It was an Evoque because purely based on looks and size. The fact we couldn't afford a proper Range Rover is irrelevant due to it being far too large for her. She occasionally drives in Leeds to work which means extremely tight parking under the hospital she works in

Some great insight shon on here either way. Very marmite!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    Would a G waggon not make her happier??
    Why? Is she considering invading Poland?

I'm having another one - no issue

November timevill be swapping mine for another

Can't afford a RR Sport? Pmsl

I can afford a Vogue if I want one - I don't

You always hear the moaners

Go to any audi workshop...see what's in for warranty.... shed loads
    Think the F Pace a better car? I know the guy who test drives for JLR and he told me to stay away

The early RR was a worry
    He says they are as good as anything out there now

Do I trust him?
    He's not bothered about one - he owns a fiesta

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post

Think the F Pace a better car? I know the guy who test drives for JLR and he told me to stay away

The early RR was a worry

Do I trust him?
    The JLR man is dead right about the F-Pace....they are still - a year after launch - having major issues with them.

Are people really referring to the "full fat" Range Rover as a "Vogue"? That's just a trim level - and the lowest one at that!

We have an Evoque had it for 5 years now, bought it new, no issues, no repairs and no warranty claims. Been a great car for us, surprisingly large on the inside, I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's bigger inside for people than the old RR Sport. Boot is not huge but just about big enough for day to day with a pram and shopping etc.

We also have a Disco Sport, only had this since December last year but been great so far. DS is quite a lot bigger than the Evoque with a very useful boot size and very impressive passenger space. If we need to travel with luggage and the baby stuff we take the DS over the Evoque as it is just easier to get everything in even if the Evoque has been able to carry what we need.

I would recommend both and would buy both again without hesitation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Are people really referring to the "full fat" Range Rover as a "Vogue"? That's just a trim level - and the lowest one at that!
    They are. I didn't bother to correct it when it first popped up since lot more besides was misinformed such as the concept that no RR is worth having unless it is the L405 SWB In Vogue trim. Perhaps they can't stretch to the Autobiography, I certainly can't.
    Last edited by Padders; 14th June 2017 at 19:18.

They are. I didn't bother to correct it when it first popped up since lot more besides was misinformed such as the concept that no RR is worth having unless it is the L405 SWB In Vogue trim. Perhaps they can't stretch to the Autobiography, I certainly can't.
    Within the trade the the FFR is known as the Vogue.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 14th June 2017 at 19:51.

Yes because it's a better term than "full fat", which makes me think of milk.

The early RR was a worry

Do I trust him?

The Evoque was rushed to market and was plagued with problems. I've forgotten the amount of recalls and issues on release now but they were considerable. Land Rover have a habit of bringing out a vehicle and letting the owners become guineapigs. That's of course if the owner could get their hands on one.....they would hand over their hard earned cash and around about a week before collection JLR would bring out a thing called a UPS ( Update Prior to Sale) which, in a nutshell meant that the car in most cases couldn't be released until whatever work was carried out. Not a major issue you'd say considering some people wait months for their cars, but just when you think that's the end of it the parts required for the UPS went on back order. I have had cars waiting for parts in excess of 2 months. All this time the customer is doing their top and directing their hate towards the wrong people.
    But that's just one reason why I dislike them.

Firstly they are way too reactive on the steering, they are twitchy and take a vast amount of time to get used to. The early six speed boxes were horrible and the autos were not much better. The newer boxes in the later models were as equally unreliable however more refined. Drive is harsh and you feel every bump in the road.

If you are taller than 6.2 you get out the other end of the journey like a hunchback.
    View out the back and sides is ridiculous. Boot space is a joke.
    Constant issues with DPF and regenerations, constant updates for virtually every main control module where customers would come back and moan that something was different but couldn't say what. EGR and turbo faults. Keyless entry and remote issues. Stop start not working, battery drain issues.
    Cabin rattles, squeaks and knocks.

I could go on but I wont.... It's great you've had a good one and long may it continue but there's no one out there that will convince me otherwise that they're a POS.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 14th June 2017 at 20:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    The Evoque was rushed to market and was plagued with problems. I've forgotten the amount of recalls and issues on release now but they were considerable. Land Rover have a habit of bringing out a vehicle and letting the owners become guineapigs. That's of course if the owner could get their hands on one.....they would hand over their hard earned cash and around about a week before collection JLR would bring out a thing called a UPS ( Update Prior to Sale) which, in a nutshell meant that the car in most cases couldn't be released until whatever work was carried out. Not a major issue you'd say considering some people wait months for their cars, but just when you think that's the end of it the parts required for the UPS went on back order. I have had cars waiting for parts in excess of 2 months. All this time the customer is doing their top and directing their hate towards the wrong people.

Firstly they are way too reactive on the steering, they are twitchy and take a vast amount of time to get used to. The early six speed boxes were horrible and the autos were not much better. The newer boxes in the later models were as equally unreliable however more refined. Drive is harsh and you feel every bump in the road.

If you are taller than 6.2 you get out the other end of the journey like a hunchback.
    Constant issues with DPF and regenerations, constant updates for virtually every main control module where customers would come back and moan that something was different but couldn't say what. EGR and turbo faults. Keyless entry and remote issues. Stop start not working, battery drain issues.

I could go on but I wont.... It's great you've had a good one and long may it continue but there's no one out there that will convince me otherwise that they're a POS.
    So a load of crap then ?

Master
    What car, in the evoque price range and style is best for the money? By style I mean higher sitting position. Not necessarily 4x4 style, just large. She has to be high up

Lexus RX 450H. At least they're reliable and built properly, plus they're pretty economical for a 3L petrol (+ electric hybrid motors).

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Lexus RX 450H. At least they're reliable and built properly, plus they're pretty economical for a 3L petrol (+ electric hybrid motors).

Cheers,
    Gary

But so is a photocopier Gary.....

Blog Entries

I must have the other good one then, no problems at all since new march 2016.

And price didn't come into it. Just didn't want anything bigger, but nearly waited for the F pace but prob just as well we didn't.
    Ian

Blog Entries

The early RR was a worry

Do I trust him?
    +1 on that really, people always assume the car you buy is all you can afford! Might be true for some.
    Ian

Master
    Talking of using the customer as a guinea pig, the F-Pace was the mule for the Velar as they are identical under the skin so maybe JLR ironed out the snags for Velar, or maybe not. The Evoque has the advantage that it is now on different engines (petrol and diesel), gearbox, infotainment and 4wd system to that with which it was launched so some of the criticisms rightly levelled in this thread are not relevant for a new example. I accept the point that Scousers are even worse at building Land Rovers than brummies but let's not pretend that any supposedly premium Euro manufacturer makes perfect vehicles. Evidence suggests otherwise. This is not the 1970s after all and we now have much higher standards. JLR make decent well designed vehicles and endemic faults can and do occur with VW, BMW, Porsche, and yes JLR etc etc.
    Last edited by Padders; 15th June 2017 at 01:35.

We had a brand new XC90 about a year ago.
    Gave it back...terrible.
    After all the awesome reviews etc hated the thing.
    And so many issues with it to.

Personally i think all new cars are prone to this kind of issue from all manufactures. Neighbors had the same with their Audi Q7.

Personally I also think cars are about what one likes not the reviews. The XC90 got rave reviews but even when it was working...it was SO boring we all hated it. On the other hand...a 4 year old Discovery 4 which cost less than half the price is a loved (and reliable) member of the family now.

I think...don't but a new model of anything, wait a little while until they get it right. And this goes for all companies i think as modern cars are simply very very complex. Though maybe not Lexus? Never had one.

Talking of using the customer as a guinea pig, the F-Pace was the mule for the Velar as they are identical under the skin so maybe JLR ironed out the snags for Velar, or maybe not. The Evoque has the advantage that it is now on different engines (petrol and diesel), gearbox, infotainment and 4wd system to that with which it was launched so some of the criticisms rightly levelled in this thread are not relevant for a new example. I accept the point that Scousers are even worse at building Land Rovers than brummies but let's not pretend that any supposedly premium Euro manufacturer makes perfect vehicles. Evidence suggests otherwise. This is not the 1970s after all and we now have much higher standards. JLR make decent well designed vehicles and endemic faults can and do occur with VW, BMW, Porsche, and yes JLR etc etc.
    The criticism levelled is very relevant, when I was preparing to leave last year the unaptly named new engine was released on the Evoque....the Engenium
    It wouldn't pull your granny off the piss pot but apart from that they were subject to a huge UPS which rendered a lot stationary for months whilst we waited for a part for the boost system.

I may be wrong but the thread title was RR Evoque- tell me it's crap........it's Crap!!!!

the Engenium... they were subject to a huge UPS which rendered a lot stationary for months whilst we waited for a part for the boost system.
    Hi, do you have a link to this? I have an Ingenium engined Evoque and the only notification I have received was for a minor rerouting of the wiring harness in engine which was taken care of during a service. Should I have had a part replaced in my boost system?

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Hi, do you have a link to this? I have an Ingenium engined Evoque and the only notification I have received was for a minor rerouting of the wiring harness in engine which was taken care of during a service. Should I have had a part replaced in my boost system?
    No they were identified at pdi at the same time as the Discovery Sports.

No they were identified at pdi at the same time as the Discovery Sports.
    OK thanks. That would explain why I've not had any problems with mine. I guess being selfish, as an owner it's between the manufacturer and the dealer how they make sure the car is as it should be at delivery.

Are the Discovery Sports crap as well? I've never driven or been in one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    OK thanks. That would explain why I've not had any problems with mine. I guess being selfish, as an owner it's between the manufacturer and the dealer how they make sure the car is as it should be at delivery.

Are the Discovery Sports crap as well? I've never driven or been in one.
    I test drove one at the same time as the Evoque, drive well and bit more roomy but didn't feel as tight on corners so went for the Evoque as we didn't need the extra room.
    Ian

Cheers,
    Gary
    They're the Japanese Mercedes.

Master
    I ran a poverty spec evoque from new for 38 months after 2 kids forced me out of boxsters. Fantastic car for the money, the 2.2 was a tad rough, but was not the culture shock that I feared. No 3 arriving forced me to a disco sport 15 months ago. The evoque took only a 9k cash loss, which for 45k miles and 38 months is great value. I like my disco sport, a much higher spec model now, but miss the evoque. It also ran like a watch for the 38 months, never in the workshop bar routine servicing. I would thoroughly recommend, and I will have another when kids older.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I do like Lexi (Plural)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    I do like Lexi (Plural)
    I would add that these days and arguably since their inception, Lexus have been more reliable than Mercedes and certainly last longer.

There aren't many Mercedes from the late 90's - mid 00's that don't have any rust around

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    I do like Lexi (Plural)
    Nice.

I've got a Motorola Timeport, do you think I should upgrade?

Master
    Nice.

I've got a Motorola Timeport, do you think I should upgrade?
    Yeah, to a new FACE.

Thumbs up

No, they are FAR worse......yawn

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    But so is a photocopier Gary.....
    God no, photocopiers require frequent attention.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Cheers,
    Gary
    I have one as my daily runaround, and bought it because it is "sensible". I didn't buy new, but three years old.

While I would be the first to admit they aren't the most exciting of cars, you soon begin to appreciate just how well made and reliable they are. Nothing ever seems to go wrong. I've had mine two and a half years now, and done nothing other than change the tyres in that time. Everything works, it is clearly massively over-engineered (so a mechanic told me), and they are powerful and fast (considerably more so than an equivalent Land Rover model). They also have the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in this side of a Bentley.

On the downside there is very little - they aren't as economical as you might think for a hybrid - it is older (but very well proven) hybrid technology. I average about 27mpg in the real world, which for a large car isn't too bad, but not up there with the latest generation of Mercs or others. I do very little motorway miles though, so most of my mileage is fairly short journeys (but quite a lot of them).

For reliable, comfortable and pretty much entirely hassle free motoring they really are hard to beat. Friends who have bought LR Discoverys and RR etc have often had lots of reliability and maintenance issues. You don't get this with a Lexus - their quality control is quite exceptional. A few minutes on google will confirm this. I don't think they have quite the image that LR have (especially here in the UK), but that doesn't bother me. I have another car to turn heads and have fun in if I want to.

I guess the Lexus has quietly won me over by it's quality, reliability and integrity - I am impressed with it, and that has made me grow rather fond of it. I am very seriously considering having another.
    Last edited by TheFlyingBanana; 16th June 2017 at 09:16.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I have one as my daily runaround, and bought it because it is "sensible". I didn't buy new, but three years old.

While I would be the first to admit they aren't the most exciting of cars, you soon begin to appreciate just how well made and reliable they are. Nothing ever seems to go wrong. I've had mine two and a half years now, and done nothing other than change the tyres in that time. Everything works, it is clearly massively over-engineered (so a mechanic told me), and they are powerful and fast (considerably more so than an equivalent Land Rover model). They also have the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in this side of a Bentley.

On the downside there is very little - they aren't as economical as you might think for a hybrid - it is older (but very well proven) hybrid technology. I average about 27mpg in the real world, which for a large car isn't too bad, but not up there with the latest generation of Mercs or others. I do very little motorway miles though, so most of my mileage is fairly short journeys (but quite a lot of them).

For reliable, comfortable and pretty much entirely hassle free motoring they really are hard to beat. Friends who have bought LR Discoverys and RR etc have often had lots of reliability and maintenance issues. You don't get this with a Lexus - their quality control is quite exceptional. A few minutes on google will confirm this. I don't think they have quite the image that LR have (especially here in the UK), but that doesn't bother me. I have another car to turn heads and have fun in if I want to.

I guess the Lexus has quietly won me over by it's quality, reliability and integrity - I am impressed with it, and that has made me grow rather fond of it.
    Wait a sec. Are you my dentist? He was telling me exactly this is why he has a Lexus hybrid SUV thing. His "fun" car is a Maserati. He's into watches as well. This could be a weird co-incidence!