closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about a new hot hatch - VW Clubsport/ GTI PP/Golf R, Mini JCW, 308 GTI

Master

Thinking about a new hot hatch - VW Clubsport/ GTI PP/Golf R, Mini JCW, 308 GTI

I have both Mk7 R and GTI PP. Very different cars in my opinion. The R wants to go fast. It is still very comfortable at normal driving speeds, a wolf in sheeps clothing. You get 4WD inertia if not caning it.

The GTI is a more rounded all-rounder. Easy to drive and fast when you want it to be. £35k spec car I picked up at 6 months old for £26k.

I have been a Quattro customer for years and down-sized to the R and have not regretted it nearly 2 years in.

Drive as many as you can, then make your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Parking pack? Is that necessary in a smallish hatchback?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using TZ-UK mobile app
    For the reversing camera, and parking sensors - yes, I'd say it's necessary on a modern car
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    For the reversing camera, and parking sensors - yes, I'd say it's necessary on a modern car
    Like automatic lights and windscreen wipers?

Reversing camera is quite a nice feature but not 'neccesary'.

M

Master
    I am in the same situation and looking for a hot hatch.

I narrowed it down to three.

BMW 140i but couldn't live with RWD in the wet north.

Audi A1 S1 which was the most fun but too small.

Golf R yes might be boring but i am 54 and this is the best combination of speed space and 4WD.

I haven't bought the Golf R yet because i am after a 15/16 plate and garages are now over stocked and the price must drop shortly.(54 and tight with money)

Its an interesting decision to have to make. I popped into Audi at the weekend as well. Amazed how small the S1 was in the back, virtually useless .

I'm in the sunny south so maybe could live with the BMW.

I'm naturally favouring the GTI PP at the moment but then I've only been out in a R so far and need to give them a proper comparison.

No rush either way and keeps me away from buying watches. 😀

Master
    I thought it was GTI Vs JCW Vs 308 or was that a different mag?

It was Ford RS vs 'R' vs M140 and, I think, something else. This was one of their quick group test things....

see
    Last edited by solwisesteve; 14th June 2017 at 11:04.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    It was Ford RS vs 'R' vs M140 and, I think, something else. This was one of their quick group test things....

see
    Thanks I'll check that out. I must have the June edition which has a Golf GTI vs Mini JCW vs PUG 308.

Interestingly there is a thread on Pistonheads discussing a very similar query and from reading the 1st page and a half of response the BMW 140i seems to win out if its for 2nd fun car. I suppose I better test it!

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...t=1661246&i=20

Master
    Thanks I'll check that out. I must have the June edition which has a Golf GTI vs Mini JCW vs PUG 308.

Interestingly there is a thread on Pistonheads discussing a very similar query and from reading the 1st page and a half of response the BMW 140i seems to win out if its for 2nd fun car. I suppose I better test it!

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...t=1661246&i=20
    I think the argument went the Beemer has the better engine and the RWD is better for the 'true' driver. For the 'average joe' I'm sure the 'R' would be perfectly okay.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    I think the argument went the Beemer has the better engine and the RWD is better for the 'true' driver. For the 'average joe' I'm sure the 'R' would be perfectly okay.
    I'm not sure 90% of BMW owners would ever know the difference...

Of course the problem with a 1 Series is, well, it looks like a 1 Series!

I'm sure the big argument is "It'll be better on a track", but the reality is 99% of people NEVER go near a track in their car, so any theoretical advantage on smooth tarmac with massive run offs is offset by the rock hard ride of M suspension BMWs on British roads...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 14th June 2017 at 13:33.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

I'm sure the big argument is "It'll be better on a track", but the reality is 99% of people NEVER go near a track in their car, so any theoretical advantage on smooth tarmac with massive run offs is offset by the rock hard ride of M BMWs on British roads...

M
    Agreed.... and yes, the 1 Series is butt-ugly!

I'm sure the big argument is "It'll be better on a track", but the reality is 99% of people NEVER go near a track in their car, so any theoretical advantage on smooth tarmac with massive run offs is offset by the rock hard ride of M suspension BMWs on British roads...

M
    Current BMW's with M Sport suspension are not rock hard, you'd be amazed, BMW actually listened after the E90 era M Sports which clearly were horrendous combined with 19" wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Current BMW's with M Sport suspension are not rock hard, you'd be amazed, BMW actually listened after the E90 era M Sports which clearly were horrendous combined with 19" wheels
    Mmm - I've not experienced a new one personally, but it still seems to be a bone of contention in reviews.

Perhaps it's just less hard?

M.

Mmm - I've not experienced a new one personally, but it still seems to be a bone of contention in reviews.

Perhaps it's just less hard?

M.
    I had a F30 330d with M Sport suspension a few years ago and the ride was very compliant, I had no complaints at all and that was after only keeping a 635d a few months as the ride was shockingly bad. Go for a test drive you'll be surprised, Audi are the current nightmare for rock hard suspension, I had a TT-RS briefly but again moved it on as the ride was horrific but it did have 20" wheels to be fair which contributed.

I utterly appreciate and recognise the breadth of the 'R's talents...I just don't covet it.

If the Civic looked ever so slightly less like a Transformer I would pick it in a flash. I have done with a previous generation TypeR when the alternatives were arguably better all-rounders.

I'm biased as I own a M135i, we have the adaptive suspension on ours (my wife now uses it daily) and with the auto box you have control over throttle response, gear change, steering feel and suspension setting so it can be driven as a daily very easily but if you switch the mode over to Sports + and the box into sports it's a beast!

To add I'm also running 19's with RFT's currently and in comfort I still find it nice and smooth ride but you will notice it in sports. The deal on the wheels/tyres was nearly the same as the wheels by themselves so I've run with the RFT's over the winter and running the last out of the rears before going to the MP all round.

Ok it might not be as versatile as the golf but I've driven it in weather with no issues just got to drive to the conditions, it's a lot better then the heavier 3/5 series, from memory when we first got it Jan last year we went up to Glasgow to see family and a lot of the area was snowed in it didn't faulter.

30 plus is amazing, had a few rolling races (private airstrip) against some mates M/RS and trust me it showed a few up, ok on a track or twisty round they would of gone but in 90% of my driving it's more then capabilitie.

Even had a guy in some 16 plate McLaren pull over after a blast and said he didn't realise now nippy these baby M's are.
    Last edited by pitbull666; 14th June 2017 at 15:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I had a F30 330d with M Sport suspension a few years ago and the ride was very compliant, I had no complaints at all and that was after only keeping a 635d a few months as the ride was shockingly bad. Go for a test drive you'll be surprised, Audi are the current nightmare for rock hard suspension, I had a TT-RS briefly but again moved it on as the ride was horrific but it did have 20" wheels to be fair which contributed.
    I will in 18 months or so.

I quite fancied a BMW, but not a 1 series (sorry owners) and was a bit disappointed in the space in the 3 Touring.

I ended up getting a Golf R Estate - Only had it a week, not really driven it much (and certainly no distance where I can try it out properly), so too early to say what I really think of it, except it's pretty swift and more economical and practical than my RX8, which is what I was after.

It took me about 3 months to really 'get' the RX8, so I'm not expecting to be able to appreciate the Golf fully after 5 days (especially as I rarely drive when I'm here, working from home on the most part).

M.

I have adaptive suspension on my m140 and it's easily the most comfortable car I've had. Exponentially more comfortable than my partners golf R without it and much better than my fathers msport 3.

If you end up with a 1 I'd highly recommend the suspension option which is pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I have adaptive suspension on my m140 and it's easily the most comfortable car I've had. Exponentially more comfortable than my partners golf R without it and much better than my fathers msport 3.

If you end up with a 1 I'd highly recommend the suspension option which is pretty cheap.
    The more I think it through the more I'm drawn to the character of the BMW. I don't really need the best all rounder and I actually quite like its looks even though its not classically pretty or handsome.

Another to add to the test drive list.
    Last edited by smokey99; 14th June 2017 at 19:46.

The more I think it through the more I'm drawn to the character of the BMW. I don't really need the best all rounder and I actually quite like its looks even though its not classically pretty or handsome.

Another to add to the test drive list.
    Here's mine

Banned
    Blog Entries
    If you must have a BM, disregard the pretenders and get an M2.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    If you must have a BM, disregard the pretenders and get an M2.
    Not at nearly twice the price, you can get a M3/4 comp pack similar with discount around M2 money, 1M a great car the M2 fall short IMO

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Not at nearly twice the price, you can get a M3/4 comp pack similar with discount around M2 money, 1M a great car the M2 fall short IMO
    You pays your money! I was offered an M2 for £40k, cancelled order manual. Agree though that the 1M is/was a better bet.

You pays your money! I was offered an M2 for £40k, cancelled order manual. Agree though that the 1M is/was a better bet.
    1M was a true M car IMO, I had high expectations for the M2 and in my mind was a disappointment so didn't look too much into so maybe my pricing is off, they have oversized the M3/4 so the M2 would of been ideal just found the interior fell short compared with the 3/4 and then the power, ok I know there is a hierarchy between the models but really it should of been nearly up there with the M3/4.

Would love to see it corrected with an M2 GTS or similar.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    1M was a true M car IMO, I had high expectations for the M2 and in my mind was a disappointment so didn't look too much into so maybe my pricing is off, they have oversized the M3/4 so the M2 would of been ideal just found the interior fell short compared with the 3/4 and then the power, ok I know there is a hierarchy between the models but really it should of been nearly up there with the M3/4.

Would love to see it corrected with an M2 GTS or similar.
    Agree that last point.👍

Agree that last point.
    The 1M is a sore point I had the chance of one (dealer preorder) can't remember the figures but it was 20k down and the rest on HP, I mulled it over by decided I didn't want finance so picked up a 116i outright.

Worst bloody decision ever :(

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The 1M is a sore point I had the chance of one (dealer preorder) can't remember the figures but it was 20k down and the rest on HP, I mulled it over by decided I didn't want finance so picked up a 116i outright.

Worst bloody decision ever :(
    I bet that decision still smarts!

I bet that decision still smarts!
    Just a little...

Live and learn!

Like automatic lights and windscreen wipers?

Reversing camera is quite a nice feature but not 'neccesary'.

M
    It woukd save a lot of paintwork! In Australia, due to a number of unfortunate child/toddler fatalities, most new cars have reversing cameras as standard. I wouldn't buy a new car without - it really is that useful for me.

I also quite like having windscreen wipers ;)
    It's just a matter of time...