closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Chinese watches

Apprentice

Chinese watches

I currently have a collection of 37 watches. These include a Tag, a Nomos, a Seiko divers watch, a rather nice Citizen, Armani, Guess, and a few others that amount to about £4k in total. I also have quite a number of watches that are made in India and China. The Indian watches are what you expect, some vintage HMT and Seiko watches refurbished to look pretty and cost peanuts, but it's the Chinese ones I would like to talk about.

It's true to say that some Chinese watches are plastic rubbish that cost peanuts, but that said they still look OK and keep good time. The ones I refer to are a definitely better than that. I have a lovely looking Sewor watch with an automatic movement that keeps brilliant time, I have a Graves Replica made by Stauer that is quite stunning, with an automatic movement that keeps perfect time and also has a very good reserve. As well as that I own 4 Jaragar watches, and these watches are fantastic. They have an automatic efficient movement, beautiful leather straps, mineral crystal glass, they weigh a ton, and they look beautiful. With a Swiss name on these watches they would cost at least 10 times as much.

Whilst I own some big brand name watches, I believe there is room for some Chinese watches in every collection, baring in mind that I am watch collector, not a brand collector !!
    Last edited by TockTick; 13th June 2017 at 16:37.

Master
    Blog Entries
    IMO you cant beat the Chinese generic 500m dive watch as a beater watch often branded as Cressi, Poseidon, Aqualung, Tachmeistrr etc.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TockTick View Post
    I currently have a collection of 37 watches. These include a Tag, a Nomos, a Seiko divers watch, a rather nice Citizen, Armani, Guess, and a few others that amount to about £4k in total. I also have quite a number of watches that are made in India and China. The Indian watches are what you expect, some vintage HMT and Seiko watches refurbished to look pretty and cost peanuts, but it's the Chinese ones I would like to talk about.

It's true to say that some Chinese watches are plastic rubbish that cost peanuts, but that said they still look OK and keep good time. The ones I refer to are a definitely better than that. I have a lovely looking Sewor watch with an automatic movement that keeps brilliant time, I have a Graves Replica made by Stauer that is quite stunning, with an automatic movement that keeps perfect time and also has a very good reserve. As well as that I own 4 Jaragar watches, and these watches are fantastic. They have an automatic efficient movement, beautiful leather straps, mineral crystal glass, they weigh a ton, and they look beautiful. With a Swiss name on these watches they would cost at least 10 times as much.

Whilst I won some big brand name watches, I believe there is room for some Chinese watches in every collection, baring in mind that I am watch collector, not a brand collector !!

Would love to know any recommendations for first time cheap Chinese watch to get.

I've got about 5 Omegas, a Jugnhans, skx, vostock and a HMT. Chinese is the next on the list.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by knw101 View Post
    Would love to know any recommendations for first time cheap Chinese watch to get.

I've got about 5 Omegas, a Jugnhans, skx, vostock and a HMT. Chinese is the next on the list.
    The top end are Seagull and Heritor. Go on line and buy a Jaragar. It will cost you no more than about £30, and you will be amazed how good it is. Of course, if you wear it every day for a year, it may look a little tired, but what watch collectors wear the same watch every day ?

Craftsman

I like this but its huge. 48mm!!

Sent from my VFD 900 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by TockTick View Post

Whilst I own some big brand name watches, I believe there is room for some Chinese watches in every collection, baring in mind that I am watch collector, not a brand collector !!
    There are some nice watches coming out of China if you do your homework. Seagull (usually) and Beijing are the most capable. I've had quite a few Seagulls and they are mostly OK for the money. I wouldn't go further than that though I do have a penchant for watches with the hand wind Chronograph Seagull ST19.

Master
    Very interesting. I'd never considered Chinese before.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by knw101 View Post

I like this but its huge. 48mm!!

Got a very Breitling Bentley look to it

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I've never had a Chinese watch, but recently tried a Chinese fountain pen just to see - £3 off eBay (that was one of the more expensive ones!!) and quite homestly it's fantastic for the money.

It's no S.T.Dupont but it's better than many "regular" £20-50 fountain pens. Visually Beautiful nib too.

There's not much they can't make at very low cost and relatively high quality these days.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I've never had a Chinese watch, but recently tried a Chinese fountain pen just to see - £3 off eBay (that was one of the more expensive ones!!) and quite homestly it's fantastic for the money.

It's no S.T.Dupont but it's better than many "regular" £20-50 fountain pens. Visually Beautiful nib too.

There's not much they can't make at very low cost and relatively high quality these days.
    I have more Chinese pens than Chinese watches.

Most of these are Chinese pens bought for a couple of quid a pop from Taobao.

The first 7 in the top row are not Chinese. The two on the top right are Chinese. All the ones on the bottom row are Chinese. Probably my favourite Chinese pen brand is Jinhao. Excellent quality and very nice writers.

From the top left.

• Sheaffer Agio
    • Platinum Plaisir
    • Pilot FP-78G Red
    • Pilot FP-78G Blue
    • Pilot FP-78G Black
    • Lamy Al-Star Orange
    • Kaweco Student Vintage Blue
    • (blank)
    • (blank)
    • (blank)
    • Oaso A15
    • Oaso A15
    • Jinhao 992
    • Jinhao X750
    • Jinhao X750
    • Jinhao X750
    • Jinhao 163
    • Jinhao 159
    • Jinhao 159
    • Hero 6082
    • Duke 209
    • Duke 209
    • Hero 9082
    • Oaso A13
    Last edited by fordy964; 17th June 2017 at 16:04.

Craftsman
    Done a little reading on Chinese watches from this thread. Going to order a few me thinks :)

Seagull 1963. Abeautiful watch.

Master
    I bought a parnis 'protuguese' many moons ago. For the £50 or so it cost me the quality is astonishing, the strap is awful but the rest punches well above it's price. I hardly wear it any more but
    if i do it fires up straight way after a wind, i doubt i'll ever get rid of it as it's part of my humble horological journey so it stays.

Craftsman

I recently picked up a seagull 1963 in Hong Kong from Thomas.

I am so impressed with the build quality so far. I've read everywhere that there are issues but Thomas in Hong Kong assured me with a 1 year warranty. It's still ticking away nicely at +4sec per day.

The dial is top notch and the acrylic crystal is perfectly suited to the style.

I'm wearing it more than my other watches and since it's so cheap (£200), I really don't give a shit if it gets dinged or whatever.

In London, where everybody is wearing Swiss and Japanese watches I've had loads of comments from people when they notice the Chinese characters on the dial. It's a good conversation piece.

Having said all that, I don't actually like many other Chinese watches outside of this one and the dong Feng.
    Last edited by flareslove; 19th June 2017 at 13:16.

Sea-Gull is a good brand. I bought a tourbillon for a friend of mine and it's a great watch.

ismaaeel