timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new seadweller!

Craftsman

new seadweller!

Craftsman

Re: new seadweller!

rolex rolex rolex gas escape valve mmmm ... :?

Blog Entries

I don't think that is much of an improvement, and now I'm being polite.
    Looks like a blown out of proportion sub no-date.
    I'll keep that one I reckon.
    oops , a bit of editing, didn't see the date at 3 o"clock.........glasses.........

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Oh, I think I really like that (except the silly writings on the... hmm... crystal?).
    Very toolish and bulky.

Nice.

Now let's start bashing :twisted:
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Yuck! what was wron with the old 'dweller? I'm not a big Rolex fan - but the old Seadweller was a work of art.

Cheers,

Info: Engraved in the Rehaut!

42mm and thicker than the new YM.

Craftsman

Mixed feelings!!!

As a current Sea-Dweller owner, I love the change to the maxi-dial and hands. Makes it much more legible. And the increase in depth-rating - wow! Apart from the silicone filled cases of some manufacturers, how many other brands have models rated deeper?

But, I don't like the case. In common with some other new models, the case seems much less elegant than before. In particular the lugs are much thicker (wider), as are the crown guards.

And I think the engraving on the rehaut is also a little bling, but I'm sure it will sell well.

It certainly looks a lot chunkier, which in the current climate would suit it well. Too me it looks much more Japanese than before (and that's not a critisism by the way, merely an observation). Anyone agree?

Effortless.

Hmmm, I think "Yuck" sums it up nicely. The crown guards look clumsy and the case looks too thick. The case / dial proportions have a certain Dreadnought look to them, which is good in a DN, but not in a Rolex sports watch, imho. Please god let the "Original Gas Escape Valve" and "O Ring Lock System" text be on a dial sticker and not engraved in the rehaut. Thank the Lord that it's now water resistant down to 3900m - the outgoing model's 1220m was nowhere near enough :roll:

Master

As respects my bank account, I am happy that I am not attracted to Rolex. However, if the specs improve the dimensions a bit on this watch they
    will be chomping at the bit and selling their current stock to get one regardless of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob
    . Please god let the "Original Gas Escape Valve" and "O Ring Lock System" text be on a dial sticker and not engraved in the rehaut.

:cry:
    Please, please, por favor!!!!! If not it will be like keeping the patch that comes on the wrist of a new suit, so everybody could see is a "GioGio ARMhani"... :shock:

Craftsman

Hogthrob...

...err, No.

I've had a quick look on the r-l-x.de site where the photos on this thread appeared from, and on other photos in the thread it is clear that the engraving is on the rehaut.

And I certainly take your point about the depth-rating... I don't know what depths professional divers need to dive to as part of their work, but as a former amateur BSAC diver I was advised not to go deeper than 50m. In those circumstances even a standard Submariner at 300m is overkill.

Can anyone comment on maximum dive depths for professional divers?

Thanks,
    Effortless.

Craftsman

Hmm...

The more I look at it, the more I like it. The chunky Jap-look is growing on me... I love Seiko's remember!

Anyone know how much the new Se-Dweller will be? And what could I get for mine? Therefore what could be the cost-to-change?

I don't like this train of thought... getting much too deep into it... someone please help....

Effortless

Craftsman

I agree that it looks more japanese and that in reality very few divers go beyond 50m, however these qualities are in no way bad things.

Craftsman

Not bad, finally a Rolex that doesnt look so granddadish :D (sorry Rolex fans ;))

Master
    Blog Entries

Will this replace the normal SD, or will they make both?

I like the maxi-dial but the porked-up case - no, no, no - it ruined the GMT for me, why do the same for the SD?

Why has Rolex turned its back on elegant yet tough cases?? :evil: :roll:

Damn broadband connection keeps dropping! This one might work. I'm not a big fan of the writing on the rehaut, but probably looks less noticeable in the flesh. The crown guards look very chunky too me, a bit too beefy. The date on these is just too small to be worth having. And what's the deal with the odd depth rating?

Anyway, not what I would have hoped for, think I'll hang out for a vintage sub.

Whoohoo! Yet another Rolex I'm not in the least tempted to buy :D :D :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Effortless
    Anyone know how much the new Se-Dweller will be? And what could I get for mine?
    Effortless
    You'll be lucky to get £1500 for a second hand Sea Dweller. As it's you, I could stretch to about £1600? :wink:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Mandrakespain
    . Please god let the "Original Gas Escape Valve" and "O Ring Lock System" text be on a dial sticker and not engraved in the rehaut.

Please, please, por favor!!!!! If not it will be like keeping the patch that comes on the wrist of a new suit, so everybody could see is a "GioGio ARMhani"... :shock:
    One of my mates at uni came from solid working-class stock. He bought a suit in his final year for the milk round (the first in his family to own a suit), took it home, and his mother decided that the cuff label was extremely badly sewn on, and did a proper job of it on her sewing machine!!

Twenty minutes with a thread unpicker and no damage done. We all had a laugh though.

Effortless.

(sorry to highjack the thread)

Craftsman

Anyone know how much the new Se-Dweller will be? And what could I get for mine?
    Effortless
    You'll be lucky to get £1500 for a second hand Sea Dweller. As it's you, I could stretch to about £1600? :wink:
    I'll think about it buddy!! :lol:

Effortless

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones
    Apparently this is a separate model.

I don't like the engraving either - too downtown Tokyo, and Black Monster-ish for me, even a little "Thierry Nataf" - but I like the look overall esp as I find Rolex sports models a little too slim proportionally. Sort of Breitling Seawolf, only capable of going 900m deeper :)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones

I like the maxi-dial but the porked-up case - no, no, no - it ruined the GMT for me, why do the same for the SD?

Why has Rolex turned its back on elegant yet tough cases?? :evil: :roll:
    Because the new ones are so much easier to produce (no more curves etc.).

Looks like a good copy of a Seiko MM :twisted:

Frank

Craftsman

"porked-up case"

Ha ha! A very good description. :lol: As is the other description... "looks like a good copy of a Seiko MM" Even funnier :D

But it's still growing on me, and I'm still trying to do the maths on flipping my current one. How sad is that?

Effortless

If they think that engraving the rehaut will stop the forgers, they're wrong. Why do it then?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

I wonder if the bracelet/clasp is improved a la GMT?

Also wonder whether these improvements will filter through to the Submariner?

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mattjg01
    And what's the deal with the odd depth rating?
    I was wondering that. I thought it was the depth the Trieste went to [with the super-domed Rolex strapped to the outside] but different websites give different depths, so can't be sure.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ari
    Well, the Sub-Date LV already has the maxi hands & dial.

The case is not an improvement, just a change :evil: - I think non-Rolex fans will like it as it's a beefy, modern case whereas people who like vintage [pre-2006] Rolex will consider the case a retrograde step.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ari
    I wonder if the bracelet/clasp is improved a la GMT?

No, they are going back to the folded link bracelet and non-solid end-links.
    This combines well with the heavy watch-head to give a secure feeling on the wrist :D

Cheers,
    Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Not keen on the "Original Gas Escape Valve" etc on the face but overall me likeee :D

I like the maxi dial and more lume on the hands never hurts Rolex divers. The case is quite appropriate for the middle-aged executives who are no doubt it's target market: fat in the middle with unattractive contours. That is no watch face, it's a novella. The latest BP50 puts this SD to shame.

To answer a question above, the world record for a sat dive is just deeper than 700m - 705m IIRC.

Master

One of my mates at uni came from solid working-class stock. He bought a suit in his final year for the milk round (the first in his family to own a suit), took it home, and his mother decided that the cuff label was extremely badly sewn on, and did a proper job of it on her sewing machine!!

Twenty minutes with a thread unpicker and no damage done. We all had a laugh though.
    Lovely tale!

But, ugh, this new Seadweller. Why would I need the face of my watch to tell me that I had an "original" gas escape valve (as opposed to one that wasn't original?) or a "ring lock system". How utterly pointless and pathetic. Also seems to have lost that clean, clear look that distinguishes early SDs, and to be courting the Asian market more openly than ever...

Master

I hate the writing! arrrgh It is nice to see the SD be a bit larger, but I still think that I prefer the older version. The SD was always subtle and elegant, but that is no more....

I like it. I will say that if I am ever at a depth of 3900m I would be wearing cement shoes.

Don't like it - and thank god for that, I have no idea what the price will be but it's bound to be a big hike over the current SD - must be £4k at the very least :shock:

The extra depth rating is pointless, and the writing on the rehaut/or is it inside the crystal :? is absolutely awful.

Maxi-dial and hands? - yep, an improvement, but my LV has that already :)

Glad the centre links on the bracelet are brushed - and (from another site) the clasp is being improved with a kind of ratcheted extension.

Case? - don't like it, like the new GMT, shoulders too wide, lacks finesse

By the way, also seen a pic of what is apparently a new White Gold Sub, blue dial/bezel insert, polished centre links. Might be steel?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandrakespain

Effortless.

(sorry to highjack the thread)
    Yes, I have met a few myself...and to be honest did not have the heart to tell them! And once, and this was in London, saw a guy with his Sparkling new Nike Air Jordan....with the tags still hanging!!! :shock:

May be the idea of Rolex is just to kill all paped documentation and have it actually engraved in the watch..that way you cannot lose it, right? As to the box, a couple mms more of case and you will be able to store the box INSIDE the watch.... :D

Good news? - the crystal is domed

Bad news?- the naff 'escape valve' and 'ring' text is engraved on a kind of step - like a rehaut, but due to the extra strength needed when you drop it down the deepest underwater trench on earth, I guess it needs a little bit of extra steel to hold it all together :cry:

Woeful..............................

Grand Master

Hands & dial - great improvement, but not the rest, especially the stupid writing!
    /vince ..

Master

If you dont like this then i doubt your gonna like the others, i won't pic pinch so here's the link.

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=36824

Quote Originally Posted by Ian99
    If you dont like this then i doubt your gonna like the others, i won't pic pinch so here's the link.

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=36824
    OMG that RG Daytona is AWESOME !!! :D

Hi

If the dial is bigger, put more writting on it.! That's what I say...

Space on the rehaut, get some writing on that too.! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not a lover of Rolex at the best of times, but even I can say what a mess they have made of this.

...I betcha the bracelet is nice :twisted:

Thanks
    deano

Craftsman

I like it, but wont be able to get one for at least 3 or 4 years. Rolex will only release just enough to satisfy footballers, footballers wives and celebrities, mere mortals need not apply.

They must have got over limiting availability of the SS Daytona.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

They put DEEP SEA on the dial.

No shit at 13000ft.

While at it should also have printed TIME TELLER.

Make it really bleedin' obvious.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Craftsman

Here is another pic from another site, domed and flush crystal.

Well I like the maxi-dial and hands also the ceramic bezel is nice. Hate the extra writing on it. I'll stick with mine thank you very much.

As an 'old' Z series owner, I'll start with my "Then again I would say that wouldn't I" and next will try to justify it.

There is only one thing that widened my eyes in a positive way, that is the incredible depth rating. That really is a wow.

It would be easier for me to just say I don't like anything else.

The destruction of the timeless oyster case shape

The dumbed down chapter ring which says 'Rapper' rather than 'Instrument'.

The ballooned hands and markers that scream 'Seiko'

Quote Originally Posted by daveathall
    I'm in love. That profile rocks. :binky:

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Journeyman

I like it. The old hands caused me to have to get bifocals.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Quote Originally Posted by daveathall
    I'm in love. That profile rocks. :binky:

john

It does look nice from that angle, but it would be better if the profile of the end links matched the profile of the lugs.

Craftsman

If Rolex wasnt printed on the dial -would it be totally disliked?

In other words when i saw it first my reaction was uugghh dont like that but then something in my little bit of grey matter said "well its a rolex you should like it"

I cant help thinking if those pictures were lifted from ebay selling some chinese copy/POS it would be dissed severely especially with the naff writing on it claimimg how big its willy is.

Stll dont like im afraid-well thats one rolex model i dont have to worry about when im buying next(whenever that is! )

Ock