Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new seadweller!

Grand Master

Re: new seadweller!

Quote Originally Posted by Nalu
    The latest BP50 puts this SD to shame.
    What's a PB50?

(The clue is in the question ;))
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

That's it - all they have to do now is changing the Explorer and they've screwed up all classics in their collection :evil:

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob

It does look nice from that angle, but it would be better if the profile of the end links matched the profile of the lugs.
    That's a fabulous shot of a fabulous profile. I really don't understand all the trashing. It's not like the majority have been slavering over the slender purity of a 36mm Date-Just while we've been waiting for this one.

Agree about the endlinks - that's something that Omega routinely does (designs them specifically not to match up) but then I have been spoiled by Breitling, so...

Master

i was looking forward to this one, but i am abit miffed at the way its turned out, the script around the dial looks crap and cheapens the look. there is also far to much dial script :( all it needed was the crown and rolex at 12 and deepsea and the depth at 6, but instead you have 8 lines of text, barmy :roll: i like the case alot and the braclet seems alot better :| but the dial lets it down big time IMO

Sorry, but all that "Original Gas Escape Valve" and "O Ring Lock System" text on the rehaut reminds me of the "badge engineering" the likes of Ford / Vauxhall etc. were well into in the late 80's - you know "Ford Sierra XR4x4i Ghia X Limited Edition ABS

Think I'll be sticking with the one I've got - ohh I can feel my residuals hardening already :wink:
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman

And any ideas on the "O Ring Lock System"?

Is it a development of the Triple Lock Crown? Or a newer way of sealing the case back?

I do like it... a proper old porker of a chunkmeister.

Thanks Nalu for the info on deep sat dives. Is that really all they went to?? (perhaps ALL they went to was the wrong choice of words... they comfortably exceeded my deepest dive by 680m!!). So why develop watches that exceed these limits by so much? I suppose they do it to show that they're still on top of the game. Bit like the current horsepower wars between BMW, Merc and Audi I suppose.

Effortless

Master

Hmmmm - I can't wai for the 5,000 metre model to be released. Closely followed by the Marianas model.

It's a little bit like waiting for a new Porsche to be released - all the extreme excitement only to find it pretty much looks the same as the last, weighs more with a bit more performance at the top end you don't need!! A few generations down the line you suddenly realise that it's the older model that you prefer.

Would I have one - of course :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Effortless
    Thanks Nalu for the info on deep sat dives. Is that really all they went to?? (perhaps ALL they went to was the wrong choice of words... they comfortably exceeded my deepest dive by 680m!!). So why develop watches that exceed these limits by so much? I suppose they do it to show that they're still on top of the game. Bit like the current horsepower wars between BMW, Merc and Audi I suppose.

Effortless
    There really isn't much call for saturation dives deeper than that. Sat dives are very expensive, very dangerous and the physiology of breathing gas at that depth is complicated. Much easier and cheaper to use robotics and submersibles.

It looks like they've been listening to criticisms of the bracelets as well.

I like it :)

Sanjay

Master

I like it but there is no need for all that gas vavle nonsence

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD

Bloody 'ell!! That looks gorgeous. No longer do we have to put up with the tinkly rattle of the old shitty sheet steel clasps!! Assuming that we buy these of course. Not a done deal by any means for a lot of the people posting on here.

Effortless

Even more reasons to buy used Rolex. The new models are really awful, The engraving seems to bring the understated look to a level of brashness.

Grand Master

Awful. Simply awful. Gaudy old Rolex with their modern, cast clasps and non-rattling bracelets. What on earth could anyone say was wrong with those thin, stamped things with hollow centres.

Oh wait, hang on...

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Effortless
    Assuming that we buy these of course. Not a done deal by any means for a lot of the people posting on here.
    Sure they will. Not new, of course - they'll leave that to the fat-arsed businessmen who can actually afford them - but they'll be along to collect someone else's sloppy seconds, rehaut or no rehaut :D

(Just a dig at the many people who forget that buying second-hand means that some poor bastard fell on his financial sword just so they could get their pre-owned kicks)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    leave that to the fat-arsed businessmen who can actually afford them
    Jesus yet another example of attacking wealth... Typical bloody UK attitude of resenting the successful !!

Perhaps we should try Communism ?? All equal eh ??

:evil:

Master

Nope, that won't do it for me. I really dislike that engraved writing. I'll now happily lean back and enjoy my 2007 SD sans writing. Would have preferred Rolex to come out with a new watch altogether and leave the SD as the classic it is/was. Won't do any harm to the secondhand value of current Sds, though.

Like the new clasp...prefer the old SD..

academic TBH, my PO is much nicer.. :lol:

Master

The Thunderbird was a flip-flop and it is happening again, IMO.

Master

Anyone know if the lugs are still 20mm?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by sparmar1

Sanjay
    I'll have it when you're done with it Sanj. :lol: :lol: :lol:

maseman

PS I like it too.

Master

Tragic. That "rehaut" is just abysmal.

:cry:

Grand Master

Chunkier case, what appears to be a ceramic bezel...but please tell me that info is on a sticker, not engraved...:shock:

Sometimes CHANGE IS NOT GOOD, this is the perfect example!

Everyone knows that Rolex invented the HRV…40 years ago, no need to go and have it lettered for everyone to see, all they did was manage to take a piece of art and clutter it, and then they added the words DEEP SEA, and kept Sea-Dweller.

This like the GMT-IIC, is the old SD replacement. At least until all the old stock SD’s sell out. Not like the Clownmaster, where you have a choice of the old YM, or the new Clown Series.

In addition, IMHO, the 2MM difference will not be noticed as it doesn’t lie flat, nor does 2MM make a difference.

When, I got wind of this thing coming out, and went and purchased a last of the series SD.

Now, the bracelet looks to be nice, but it is untried at this point, and I think they left the bracelet at 20MM, so if the lug holes match up, I can see a lot of people requesting the new bracelet. However, that being said, they beefed up the last generation SD bracelet and it is just fine.

As far as a professional needing this, the old SD was overkill, no human can go to this depth, only a DSV can. So unless you need to strap this on to the outside of the DSV this is another overkill dive watch.

As far as pro divers are concerned, meaning saturation divers, for whom this watch was invented for, 1000M, or nearly 4000M doesn’t make a difference, it will still be subjected to the bens at a certain depth for a certain period of time.

Oh, and I forgot, have any of you ever try to use a ratcheting bracelet? The one on the Seiko 600 SD is great, once you figure out how to use it, if you don’t you can actually strap it to tight to your wrist…

Oh, and for those of you who think that the SD is only for the wealthy and not a tool watch think again, the trusty old Submariner, and SD were/are the world’s number one choice of professionals. The GMT was actually issued to all PAM-AM Pilots, First Officers, and Navigators for a very long time, so it shows once again, this is not a wealthy mans toy, but truly a professional tool.

Master

Overdid the text on the dial IMO. "Deep Sea" then mention the depth rating, and what a overkill depth rating.

Do pro diver's even still use these?

"Oyster Perpetual Date" when it's bloody obvious that there is a date window on the dial...

Please tell me that is a sticker over the crystal!!

Dave

Master

Quote Originally Posted by maseman

Sanjay
    I'll have it when you're done with it Sanj. :lol: :lol: :lol:

maseman

PS I like it too.
    I will take it next then Iain .... a little WABI will not do it any harm :wink:

Vic :D

Master

I like it all but that engraved inner ring.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Vargas
    Everyone knows that Rolex invented the HRV…40 years ago, no need to go and have it lettered for everyone to see, all they did was manage to take a piece of art and clutter it, and then they added the words DEEP SEA, and kept Sea-Dweller.
    Rolex Deep Sea.

Original Deep Sea Add!

I think I prefer the current models, that case looks a bit too chunky to my eyes. I do like the domed crystal and that clasp looks impressive, though!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

If I was a buyer I'd be sorry that it only looks like it has normal spring bars for a watch that otherwise looks so substantial. No screw- in bars, not even drilled through lugs.

Just picture it; You splashed out on your new rolex Deep sea, you're Sat diving down at 3790m ( as one does :wink: ) , the spring bar pops and the watch falls from your wrist. You watch in agonizing slow motion as your watch drifts 20 metres to the ocean floor at 3810 metres . Before you support crew can spool out enough of your lifeline for you to pick up the watch you see see small cracks spidering across crystal then "poof" the crystal implodes and the water pressure mashes the innards of the watch into the caseback. You manage to reach whats left of your watch but all that's recognizable are the words " Ring watch system..... :)

yours tearfully

siggy

Master

Quote Originally Posted by siggy
    If I was a buyer I'd be sorry that it only looks like it has normal spring bars for a watch that otherwise looks so substantial. No screw- in bars, not even drilled through lugs.

Just picture it; You splashed out on your new rolex Deep sea, you're Sat diving down at 3790m ( as one does :wink: ) , the spring bar pops and the watch falls from your wrist. You watch in agonizing slow motion as your watch drifts 20 metres to the ocean floor at 3810 metres . Before you support crew can spool out enough of your lifeline for you to pick up the watch you see see small cracks spidering across crystal then "poof" the crystal implodes and the water pressure mashes the innards of the watch into the caseback. You manage to reach whats left of your watch but all that's recognizable are the words " Ring watch system..... :)

yours tearfully

siggy

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave

Master

Original Deep Sea Add!

Cool! Thanks for posting. :thumbright:

Aside from its wordiness, I like most of the features in this watch: the domed crystal, maxi-dial and the larger case. Unfortunately, it's priced beyond what I'd spend on a watch :(

Craftsman

I like this Rolex homage to the Seiko Marinemaster. :D

Master

In my opinion, the new Deep Sea is "chunkier", so in a way less elegant than the previous Sea Dweller. It also has way too much writing on the dial and I don't like the engraving on the rehaut. But then again this is coming from a person who dislikes seeing "4 Wheel Drive" splashed over a vehicle, I prefer something which does what its supposed to do without advertising it :)

I don't own a Rolex, but my favourite would still remain a Sub no-date.

The full info is now up on http://www.rolex.com. Here's a good one - it's got blue lume.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

from a professional point of view, most guys i work with wear either a sd or a smp WHEN JOINING SHIP then it comes off and a g-shock goes on! a few of us still wear our watch all the time, i wore my smp on deck in sat on plane for years. now its the turn of the ds3 re-issue, well built good looking with an automatic valve. the common name for the sd on board is drawer dweller.

cheers

mike :wink:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by jesper451
    I like this Rolex homage to the Seiko Marinemaster. :D
    If only the Chinese could match japanese build quality :wink:

A daytona is still the only Rolex I really fancy... rather have an old Sub than this new thing tbh.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Sanjay
    :shock:
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Looks like just another Rolex to me, nothing special.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Jesus yet another example of attacking wealth... Typical bloody UK attitude of resenting the successful !!
    Sorry, I don't do internet sarcasm very well :)

I guess I was being tongue-in-cheek - I was having a dig at the people who think that buyers of new watches are stupid to pay full price or close to it. Whereas if it wasn't for buyers of new watches, whatever you might think of them, used buyers would be paying full whack or not enjoying their used Rolexes, JLs etc at all.

I used to frequent a Porsche forum and the mindless, casual offence the unwashed masses gave the original owners had to be read to be believed. Anyone daft enough to buy a new Porsche was a "twat", a "tosser" or a "wanker", and only clever, salt-of-the-earth types bought used Porsches. 'Course, if it wasn't for those "twats", "tossers" and "wankers", the forum snobs (for that it was it is, a particular form of inverted, envious snobbery) would be smoking around in a '91 Celica with dodgy turbo seals.

As it goes, most people wealthy enough to buy new high-end watches are easy targets. They couldn't care less what anyone else thinks of them, and they don't frequent forums like this because they're too busy making money.
    Perhaps we should try Communism ?? All equal eh ??
    We're doing that right now. Four legs good, two legs better. Just ask Michael Martin :(.

Personally I really don't like it - it has all the hallmarks of bling and has almost lost its tool identity.

I can only suppose that Rolex have invested heavily in market research to identify the features having most appeal to the best market for their watches (plainly not fat, balding middle aged professionals from the UK who prefer not to snorkel out of their depths then... :D :D I would have thought I was a leading candidate!)

Any ideas what their target market segments actually are?

It does seem strange however that Rolex dont try to trade on their heritage a bit more. Im sure I'm not the only one who would fork out a decent sum for a modern copy of the early oyster 'cushion' or tank styles.

David

I used to frequent a Porsche forum and the mindless, casual offence the unwashed masses gave the original owners had to be read to be believed. Anyone daft enough to buy a new Porsche was a "twat", a "tosser" or a "wanker", and only clever, salt-of-the-earth types bought used Porsches.
    I still do frequent several Porsche forum & genuinely believe anyone who buy's a brand new Porsche is a either minted (fair enough) or daft - especially those (and there are many of them) that 2 years later piss & moan about depreciation come trade in time.
    However, I don't think they are necessarily "twats", "tossers" or "wankers" and am always grateful that they had the cash, decency and /or stupidity (delete as applicable) to take that depreciation hit for me :D

I don't buy expensive watches brand new either.

Do hope that doesn't make me part of the "unwashed masses" :wink: :wink:
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Blog Entries

Awful. Simply awful. Gaudy old Rolex with their modern, cast clasps and non-rattling bracelets. What on earth could anyone say was wrong with those thin, stamped things with hollow centres.

Oh wait, hang on...
    Yes, it's a shame they can't improve the bracelet without writing an essay on the innards of the porked-up monstrosity

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adrian
    Rolex Deep Sea.
    Love the drilled lugs, it'll help with changing it onto the leather strap that you'll need to balance the top-heaviness :)

Not keen but then I haven't seen it in the flesh and new stuff is not really my forte (still don't like the new GMT) but I suppose it may grow on you.

Apparently the ordinary SD is being discontinued so I'll be keeping my holey lugged version. :D
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones
    Quote Originally Posted by adrian
    Rolex Deep Sea.
    Love the drilled lugs, it'll help with changing it onto the leather strap that you'll need to balance the top-heaviness :)

OOOOh :shock: ,

That's where Inspector Colombo's eye has gone :D .

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

It is quite obvious you do not do apologies or explanations very well either.

As it goes, most people wealthy enough to buy new high-end watches are easy targets. They couldn't care less what anyone else thinks of them, and they don't frequent forums like this because they're too busy making money.
    Did you do a poll on the rich, to middle class, to poor ratio, on the amount of time the rich frequent here? You do know that you are insulting your host, Mr. Eddie Platts, with your Laissez-faire attitude do you not? Have you realized that what you have essentially said over and over, is that his forum is not good enough for the rich…

Many of people of all financial classes frequent this forum, "WUS", “Timezone”, “The Purists.com”…and many other forums to check out what is going on.

In March, I purchased three brand new Rolex’s, but I didn’t pay full price for two of them, I did for the Daytona (I guess I am stupid for paying full retail for a watch that commands double the retail price). I do not know too many people that Pay Full Price for anything.

And in your estimation, I must be a real "twat", a "tosser" or a "wanker", for spending 90K on a rolling chassis, that was wrecked, with barely any sheet metal left on it…or, I must be in the super above quoted categories for leaving a $250K car covered sitting in my back yard, covered, but still exposed to the elements waiting for my slot in the restoration line.

Some wealthy people are easy targets, but they are usually called “Nuevo Riche”, and are to busy trying to impress other people because they cannot carry on an intelligent conversation. Unfortunately, for these “Nuevo Riche”, they do not keep their wealth for very long.

All of my friends who are super wealthy are anything but easy targets, they know a good deal when they see one, and walk away when they think someone is trying to take advantage of them, refuting your hypothesis that the wealthy are easy targets.

If someone can afford to purchase as new car, a new watch, or a new house, so be it. This is what many of us work hard for, the ability to do exactly just that, and to provide better lives for our families. It is a matter of personal pride, and desire. If enjoying the good life (by the fruit of your own labor) is such a bad thing, and so disdainful, in your estimation, I cannot fathom why so many aspire to try to make it.

Neil,

I too did not like the new GMT, but I tell you what...it does grow on you, here is a wrist shot, I took that band off, and put a NATO, and IMHO, it does look quite good.

As far as the new SD, I knew a few months ago, that it was coming out, as well as a Rose Gold Daytona, Granite Quarry (AKA David, will vouch for this). I went and purchased the last of the old SD’s, as I knew this one wasn’t going to be for me, I still do not know what Rolex was thinking by imprinting those words on the dial.

Here is a wrist shot, of the GMT-IIC, first time I have ever worn it! LOL!

Regards,

John

Journeyman

So when is the new Seadweller hitting the "grey market?" I'm in.

By the way, I once jokingly referred to Rolexes on timezone as great watches for dentists picking up escorts at the Capital Grille during Happy Hour and I was threatened by an attorney from Georgia to a fight . . . through email. Funny stuff. This new Seadweller is going to be great for Happy Hour.