closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New computer required.

New computer required.

My old desktop has pretty much given up the ghost and I'm looking for a new one.

I only use it for internet surfing, emails etc so don't need anything super duper but I would like something half decent and reasonably priced.

Any ideas?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I bought a second hand iMac a few years back and absolutely love it.
    Would never go back to Windows.

Apple don't advertise the Mac mini, probably because it is such good value.
    I got a refurbed 8gb 2.4ghz for £480 before the Brexit price rise.
    https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/browse...ecialdeals/mac
    Stick a decent screen on it.
    Use Ebay to get the thunderbolt video lead adapters for a few quid.
    And a wireless keyboard & mouse for £14-£15.

Mine is going the same way and I'm so tired of the messing about caused by Windows I've been looking at a Chromebox - you can keep your existing monitor and use Windows 365 for Office, it has instant boot up, no anti-virus and updates take seconds.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    Mine is going the same way and I'm so tired of the messing about caused by Windows I've been looking at a Chromebox - you can keep your existing monitor and use Windows 365 for Office, it has instant boot up, no anti-virus and updates take seconds.

I was going to say if the OP only uses it for web-related activity (fnaar) then a Chromebook would do the job just fine.

I am almost at the point where I can use my Chromebook Pixel for everything I do... just need to set up a permanent local email store using a Raspberry Pi and I'm good to go.

(wish I could use it for work though... my work laptop is steam-driven and weighs a tonne !)

Craftsman
    i was running iirc vista or xp business on my old laptop until about 6 weeks ago and bought a new Hp laptop running windows 7 . IT guy at work came in and swapped all the guff over and ran a scan on my old one and it was crystal clear ( to his surprise and mine !) ....the new one went a bit naighty after three weeks with some sort of trojan so im deffo not convinced . May look at something like a macbook as we use one at home

I've bought my last 3 PCs from Wellsy on the forum and been very happy with the price and spec,I'm sure he can sort you something out. He does a lot of lease repossessions, many still under guarantee.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Another vote for a Mac Mini. Or secondhand iMac. It's amazing how long they last IMO. They don't seem to get slow and clunky like aged PC's. mac Mini with a cheap-ish screen, you'll be set.

Master
    Got to be worth looking at something like a Surface Pro where the keyboard detaches. I had a work one where the work restrictions seemed to be the cause of poor battery life but other than that it seems more versatile than a standard laptop and better 'windows' than a chromebook.
    I've yet to try a Mac due to old age making me wary of change

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I've bought my last 3 PCs from Wellsy on the forum and been very happy with the price and spec,I'm sure he can sort you something out. He does a lot of lease repossessions, many still under guarantee.

Eddie
    Cheers Eddie,

I've pm'ed Wellsy.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I know this is outside the sales forum and may be frowned upon but if you don't mind 2nd hand then I've got a desktop that I was looking to get rid of, has an i5 cpu, 6gb of ram and a 500gb hard drive, it also has onboard video as well as a 2nd nvidia video card installed and has the normal cd/DVD writer. If interested then drop me a pm and dependant upon where you are, I'm in HA7 then you are more than welcome to come round and take a peek?

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I know this is outside the sales forum and may be frowned upon but if you don't mind 2nd hand then I've got a desktop that I was looking to get rid of, has an i5 cpu, 6gb of ram and a 500gb hard drive, it also has onboard video as well as a 2nd nvidia video card installed and has the normal cd/DVD writer. If interested then drop me a pm and dependant upon where you are, I'm in HA7 then you are more than welcome to come round and take a peek?
    Thanks for the offer, sounds good, but Harrow is a bit far out for me.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I love this outfit, been good to me over the years. Top kit, all of it, in my experience.

https://www.novatech.co.uk/?gclid=CI...FQ4R0wodyMcFrg

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    I have also bought stuff from Frank(Wellsy) Its lasted me for years and its always top stuff

Brian

Master
    If you are considering moving to a mac it might be worthwhile backing up your current pc and installing a linux build (ubuntu is what i use for linux) and seeing if you get on with it. It may even extend the life of your current hardware as it's far more lightweight than windows.

Have a look here https://www.howtogeek.com/128347/5-w...your-computer/ and here https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutoria...untu-desktop#0 if you feel so inclined...

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I only use it for internet surfing, emails etc so don't need anything super duper...
    iPad.

The era of the "desktop computer" is over.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The sales of tablets are tumbling as smartphones take over and desktops and laptops manage tasks tablets either can't at all or only with a deal of awkwardness.

"I only use it for internet surfing, emails etc". Who needs a desktop computer to "manage" either of those "tasks"?

Google Steve Jobs's analogy of the truck and the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    "I only use it for internet surfing, emails etc". Who needs a desktop computer to "manage" either of those "tasks"?

Google Steve Jobs's analogy of the truck and the car.
    But that's not what you said. Besides, all of that stuff except maybe surfing is better done on a proper machine where you can save, store and sort things much more easily. And as I noted, the sales of tablets are going down.

Agreed, I run a Computer sales business and after a brief flirtation with tablets the business community are flocking back to Laptops and PC's in their droves.

Apprentice
    There's a whole hobby of finding used Thinkpads and refurbishing them, they are tough and great little laptops :-)

All fixed up now!

My youngest ran through some stuff and picked me out a new computer and screen.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    Another vote for Chromebook's. I adore my Pixel and could never go back to Windows.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have this one, sends emails in a flash...