closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I learnt what BT fibre to the cabinet really means today

I learnt what BT fibre to the cabinet really means today

I changed from virgin to sky/BT fibre earlier this year and have had intermittent faults and no service several times, today an open reach engineer told me why, between me and the fibre connection there are three cabinets all connected by copper, the actual fibre connection is two streets away.

So fibre to the cabinet actually means fibre to "A" cabinet

That is correct. Fibre to the home (FTTH) is different. Not all copper wire is equal either, some is aluminium and standards vary.

BT Openreach are responsible for this 'last mile' and have not invested what they should have done.

So another advertising con

You get what you pay for, privatisation means share holders and profits always win our giving a customer a good experience

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    So another advertising con
    Not entirely. Generally, the closer the fibre gets to the home then the faster the potential signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Not entirely. Generally, the closer the fibre gets to the home then the faster the potential signal.
    Yes entirely, there is a BT cabinet 80 meters from my house the assumption that they let you make is that the fibre goes to that

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Hence why people on Virgin (At least 'round my way) get the speeds they're promised, in the main.

Much as I grumble about VM putting up prices fairly often, I know that the other BB and TV providers do exactly the same and when I get 200Mbps BB on my PCs then, at least, I know I'm getting what I pay for (I only have 200MB because it was a little cheaper to upgrade to a bundle with it than to stay on the previous deal with an already fast 100MBps!)

M

EE also sell "fibre" broadband but it's only fibre to the street cabinet (it's what I have, and the cabinet is across the road). Only virgin bring that fibre right into your home hence better speeds but they have to drill through your wall; no thanks, I've already got one for the phone cable, don't want any more holes in the wall.

I usually get over 70Mbit/S from by BT Infinity which is plenty so not a con. It's the lack of reliability and inconsistency across the local access network which is unacceptable in my view. I'm sure everyone knows that just about every provider uses BT copper for the last bit of the access, except true fibre services like Virgin.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    You get what you pay for, privatisation means share holders and profits always win our giving a customer a good experience
    Youve got Maggie to thank for the current lack of fibre to the premises. In the 1980s the U.K. Had more fibre than any other country but Maggie decided it was anti competitive.

Fibre to home is a great thing if you can get it

Craftsman
    Yes. Gigabit upload and download is possible with FTTH. Hopefully Google will roll out Fiber/Fibre in the UK soon. Rural areas can get Gigabit through Gigaclear if enough households sign up.

Quote Originally Posted by matt666 View Post
    Yes. Gigabit upload and download is possible with FTTH. Hopefully Google will roll out Fiber/Fibre in the UK soon. Rural areas can get Gigabit through Gigaclear if enough households sign up.
    We have Gigaclear, we opted for 100 both ways, you can get a gig both ways , BT were puzzled why we were leaving when they could only give us 3 fools

I used to sub-contract to BT, doing a lot of cable running and jointing. You would be surprised how much aluminium cable survives to this day all over the UK. BT are slow to fix this.

Our village is currently having FTTP/H infrastructure installed. So far its taken openreach 7 months to install and run 1.5mile of fibre, poles and ducts.

I've been in communication with openreach, trying to figure out when the work will be completed. they've said its done, yet from my research fibre splitters haven't been installed up poles, cables still haven't been run into ducts and theres lose ends everywhere. I really have lost faith in telecommunities in this country. So the "to a cabinet" comment doesn't surprise me

I've got this notion that copper wire can only take up to 100mbps. Someone said it somewhere, lol. Not sure how true it is.

I see people mentioning speeds of 200mbps and I wonder how much better it is to our Zen service which delivers up to about 70mbps and is very stable. 6 years, one issue.

FTTP is interesting though.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    EE also sell "fibre" broadband but it's only fibre to the street cabinet (it's what I have, and the cabinet is across the road). Only virgin bring that fibre right into your home hence better speeds but they have to drill through your wall; no thanks, I've already got one for the phone cable, don't want any more holes in the wall.
    Do virgin bring fibre into the home? I'm on virgin and I have copper from the house to the nearest green/grey box, the box I believe is fibre connected.

Virgin also isn't all plain download speed sailing, I've had so far 2, that virgin will admit to oversubscribing issues where speeds would drop to as slow as 256k in the evenings, took them around a year to resolve and there are plenty of people who have been suffering for years. For me, it was fortunate that I actually have a virgin engineer living on my road and it was he who pulled/yanked/tugged whatever/whomever to get things moving. Now whenever there are issues I go for a walk, bump into him and we have a chat.