closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Most recognized watch in the world

Master

Most recognized watch in the world

I keep seeing people on this forum talk about how the Rolex sub is the most recognized watch in the world, even going so far as to say that it is the cyclops that people simply know means submariner.

Is this really true, or are people just trying to pat themselves on the back for owning one?

I don't doubt that Rolex is one of the most well known brands, but I imagine that the vast majority of the public wouldnt actually know a daytona from a sub from an invitica. They just know Rolex = fancy, with no real idea what they actually look like.

Those old casio digital watches though, I'd be surprised if there was anyone who didn't know what one of those were. I am by no means representative, but until I joined a watch forum, I had no idea what a sub was, cyclops, seamaster, speedmaster, daytona. I simply knew that omega, Rolex etc, those were the expensive ones.

Do people actually think the general public know anything about watches beyond the brand on the brand names?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd argue that the Date-just is probably the more obvious Rolex to people who don't know watches.

Journeyman
    Definitely Casio or Swatch. My wife wouldn´t know a Rolex anything if she tripped over one but, she´d know either of the afore mentioned.

Master
    I dont know if any of us here have enough objectiveness to know the answer to this.

Better to poll on a non-watch forum perhaps.

Out of the few I have.

My Omega SMPc and Panerai get the most 'that's nice, is it a .........?'

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

In an addendum to that, my work G shock also is very recognisable.

Mozza

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I'd argue that the Date-just is probably the more obvious Rolex to people who don't know watches.
    I'd have to agree that the DJ is probably the most recognisable Rolex but as to the most recognisable watch, well that would probably be a Casio of some sort.

It has to be the Casio F-91W

Master
    I've had two people stick their noses in the air and tell me they would never want 'a Rolex', without noticing I was wearing a vintage one at the time. Or at least I hope they hadn't noticed!

Craftsman
    In regards to marketing power and brand, the Apple Watch could possibly be one of the most recognised watch out there, and a new contender!
    Not quite Casio F-91W levels yet (factoring in affordability in less well off countries.etc) though.

Craftsman
    I think we all like to think that it's a Datejust because of what we're into, but I can say for certain that a few years ago, I couldn't tell you what a Datejust looked like.

For me, it has to be Casio really. Or these days, an Apple Watch.

Apprentice

Rolex

Surely the Rolex Oyster Datejust - or is this a generational thing ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    It has to be the Casio F-91W
    This, by a wide margin. It's ubiquitous.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    I'd say a Michael Kors would be up there.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Rolex probably the most well known brand i.e. everyone knows the name, but for the watch itself, it has to be a Casio.

I'd agree that a Sub is very easily recognised, as is a Breitling Navitimer, Omega Speedmaster or TAG Heuer Monaco.

I'd say those 4 are pretty much the ones that even people with a casual interest in watches would recognise (even if the watches were just look alikes).

Panerais, Hublots and R.Milles kind of stand out if you recognise the style.

Anything else is probably only going to be recognised by Watch enthusiasts (including the Datejust, imo).

I'm pretty sure most people who buy a F91-W wouldn't have a clue that's what it was!

Most people wouldn't know a G-Shock from a Cellini to be honest...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 11th July 2017 at 11:47.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    +1......at a glance most dive watches look pretty much the same!

The fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet will always be the quintessential Rolex to many people, including me.

Paul

Master
    As someone who had this mindset not that long ago. I would agree the DJ is probably the one that anyone will look at and think "that's a Rolex"

A good shout with the Navitimer too

Master
    Most people would have difficultly identifying a particular Rolex, and yet if you asked people to draw a luxury watch from memory, the result would likely look something like one, cyclops and all. It's also the brand they would name.

Most will have seen a Casio, but will they all know which brand it is?

I only got into watches two years ago and I couldn't have told you what a Rolex Sub or GMT or Datejust looked like, let alone named them. I obviously knew that Rolex were expensive but since I wasn't interested in watches couldn't have identified any. I also had never heard of Patek Philippe, JLC, AP, ALS, VC etc. I could have named Casio, Seiko, Citizen in the cheaper watch brands and Rolex, Omega and Tag probably in the more expensive brands the rest never heard of them. I wouldn't have even noticed you were wearing a watch though. Annoying really spent 43 years not giving a toss about watches and now I clock everyone's wrist, and on TV too.

Master
    My first expensive watch was a DJ, TT, and to me at that time it was the archetypal Rolex. I now know that I should have bought a sub........

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

An all yellow gold Day Date or DJ, very Jimmy Saville or Del Boy - but most people would be able to guess what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    An all yellow gold Day Date or DJ, very Jimmy Saville or Del Boy - but most people would be able to guess what it was.
    They could probably guess "Rolex", but I bet far fewer would say "Day Date" or "Datejust" than would recognise a Submariner, Monaco or Navitimer.

Like a poster a couple back, before I became interested in watches, I'd heard of a Submariner (flash types in the eighties wore them) and would recognise a Naivitmer or a Monaco, but a Datejust was just 'a bling watch' and usually worn by older gentlemen of dubious character and taste!

Of course I know different now...

M

Worth another look - from Chrono24 last year.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I dont know if any of us here have enough objectiveness to know the answer to this.

Better to poll on a non-watch forum perhaps.
    That's a good point...

Master
    This wasn't really about finding the most recognized watch, just to say that I find it silly to say that the submariner is, yet such a claim gets made left right and center on this forum such as in the taking a subC backpacking thread.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomoT View Post
    Rolex probably the most well known brand i.e. everyone knows the name, but for the watch itself, it has to be a Casio.
    Indeed!

Craftsman
    Before I was into watches, a cyclops would have signified Rolex to me. Agree that the Jubilee bracelet and the fluted bezel is synonymous with Rolex.

F-91 without a doubt

Craftsman
    G-shock or Submariner would have been my guess.

I disagree with all the above - I'd say a Cartier Tank is the most recognized (sic) wristwatch.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I disagree with all the above - I'd say a Cartier Tank is the most recognized (sic) wristwatch.

I would agree, especially the santos model.

However a Rolex GMT Pepsi and the Omega Speedy must be right up there

As for casio, seiko, whilst I know the manufacturer, I couldn't careless about model numbers.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Was in a meeting with three senior bods yesterday. One had a sub type Rolex. Could't make out exact model. Another had a nice looking Rolexy looking chronograph - XII at the 12, not much else on the dial and a blue pearly thing in the crown.

Top boss was sitting furthest away from me.

He had an Apple Watch on. No mistaking.

Easily - Mickey Mouse watch..........

Before I fell down the watch rabbit hole it was TAG's Monaco that was the most easily recognisable watch for me due to its square case.

Master
    I also agree about the whole Casio thing. Divers and Sports watches can quite often look alike, although I admit to being able to spot a Daytona a mile off, but that's from a WIS POV. I think the Sub has so many other watches trying to look like it, it can't be classed as instantly recognisable; in fact I watched the new Spiderman movie yesterday and it took me a while to recognise that Michael Keaton was wearing one in a few of the scenes.

The Seamaster professional has quite a unique look, as do the roman numeral DJs but looking at it in the eyes of my mum for example, she wouldn't have a clue about those.

People don't realize there are so many cheap Casio look alikes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I would agree, especially the santos model.

However a Rolex GMT Pepsi and the Omega Speedy must be right up there

As for casio, seiko, whilst I know the manufacturer, I couldn't careless about model numbers.
    Depends what is meant by 'Most recognized watch'. Recognized as the brand, as the model or just as a watch that has previously been 'seen' elsewhere?

I doubt many people would recognize a cartier tank santos for what it is. I had no idea.

Not sure Joe Public (esp. 3rd world) would recognize speedy as an omega (or at all) either. They will know a Casio though.

Apple Watch without a doubt. Especially amongst the youth of today who know every smartphone out there.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGood View Post
    Another had a nice looking Rolexy looking chronograph - XII at the 12, not much else on the dial and a blue pearly thing in the crown.
    ...that was a Cartier!