closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London

London

Have any Londoners on here made the move out of the big city? Where did you end up? are you happy with the move? did you have to sacrifice some money to get that live/work balance right? Any regrets?
    Last edited by ichaice; 23rd July 2017 at 10:04.

Moved to Bristol in 2006 and took a 20% pay cut. It was fine but after 2 years moved with work to Paris and 3 years later back to Hampshire. Last year my job in Hampshire ended as the company I worked for was broken up and sold. It became clear to me then that the gap between London salaries and those available outside London is wider than ever in my sector (financial services) so I've ended up working in London again and doing a long commute in. I couldn't find any jobs locally that paid more than 50% of London salaries. Might be different in different sectors though.

Craftsman
    I moved up to Chester after Uni (Mrs related) and I'd never move back. I have everything I need near me and none of the overpopulation issues of London/traffic etc. Plus my house is miles bigger and cheaper than any of my London mates. They can't understand how I have such a small mortgage repayment, which allows for more disposable for......erm watches!

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Oh and I earn as much as I would in London

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

I moved to a tiny village in north Hertfordshire. Apart from broadband (see most of my recent posts!) I love it. It's properly rural so I can walk, run, shoot, fish and whatever on the doorstep but I can get to Kings Cross from Stevenage station in 21 minutes.

My wife and I were lucky to be part of the last generation who could afford to buy a flat/house in London in their 20s. We both did that and when we sold we exchanged pokiness and noise for a great deal of space & quiet.

The only thing I really miss is the food. Used to live at the top of Green Lanes and it was restaurant heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

London is great to dip in and out of but I wouldn't want to live there full time. As I write this I'm sitting in my London flat which is so small the entire flat if folded would fit into the drawing room of my house. 3-4 nights per month on average satisfies me.

I moved from London to the Lambourn Valley in 2009. It was like entering a different World - rural, peaceful, very beautiful countryside based in the Lambourn (or North Wessex) Downs, friendly folk and a 66 mile commute to my office, which I didn't need to do daily.

The location was chosen with the commute to my office in West London in mind. I still recall heading out of the city on the M4 to junction 14, then onto the slip road, to an empty roundabout, empty roads, fresh air and just feeling the stress seep out of my pores. Best thing I ever did. However, that was when I was working. In retirement, it was just a little too quiet as my hobbies and interests became more important.

Interesting comment about salaries. I toyed with the idea of seeking work locally, but the salary hit was just too much to contemplate. The difference was considerable, even though the move had virtually wiped out my mortgage. It did make me wonder how some of the locals got by?

Quote Originally Posted by Caller View Post
    I moved from London to the Lambourn Valley in 2009. It was like entering a different World - rural, peaceful, very beautiful countryside based in the Lambourn (or North Wessex) Downs, friendly folk and a 66 mile commute to my office, which I didn't need to do daily.

The location was chosen with the commute to my office in West London in mind. I still recall heading out of the city on the M4 to junction 14, then onto the slip road, to an empty roundabout, empty roads, fresh air and just feeling the stress seep out of my pores. Best thing I ever did. However, that was when I was working. In retirement, it was just a little too quiet as my hobbies and interests became more important.

Interesting comment about salaries. I toyed with the idea of seeking work locally, but the salary hit was just too much to contemplate. The difference was considerable, even though the move had virtually wiped out my mortgage. It did make me wonder how some of the locals got by?
    In my village, which is a beautiful quiet/expensive place in the Test Valley, Hampshire, everyone we know locally meets one of these categories:

- moved from London fairly recently and made enough from selling their property to be able to afford a house on local money
    - old money/trust fund/family support
    - commute to professional jobs in London to earn the money to afford to live here
    - hard working entrepreneurs who have their own successful local businesses
    - retirees who bought their house back in the days when people in normal local jobs could afford to, and they can afford to stay as they have nice final salary pensions

In 5 years we've yet to meet any "normal families" in average local jobs where we live, as they are completely priced out of the area. The teachers at our lovely village school live miles away as it's too expensive to live nearby, which is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by ichaice View Post
    Thanks. How do you keep in touch and see friends and family still living in the smoke?
    Have you heard of the Internet? Or a telephone? Or even letters?

From
    A. Wildling
    North of Watford.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

We moved from London Bridge to South East London but the plan is to move to Chester as soon as we can (family are there). The uncertainty around Brexit and the GE has had a noticeable impact on the housing market as has the Stamp Duty changes so we'll have to stick it out for a bit longer. That said when we do move we'll be mortgage free or have a small mortgage and a couple of rentals providing income. I can move my job to Liverpool / Manchester on the same salary but SWMBO will take a massive cut. Hopefully everything will balance. I'm in my thirties with a young family so will have to keep the money coming in to pay for schools etc. We can't wait to go though.

Thanks. How do you keep in touch and see friends and family still living in the smoke?
    We manage to do it from half way around the world, shouldn't be too difficult from within the same country.

We moved from Kingston upon Thames to North Norfolk nearly 2 years ago and haven't looked back. Just so much more space, privacy and a better quality of life. We also fall into the bracket of having been the right age to buy property in London at the right time (I'm late 40's) - so we have a very large property compared to what we had in London, farcical really
    I've noticed that locally - which is pretty rural - nobody cares about wearing Ralph Lauren jumpers or driving fancy cars (although there are lots of expensive mud covered 4x4's in the winter months) - it feels like I'm back in the late 70's in many ways - clear roads, no queues, people saying hello to each other in the street - but with the advent of the internet (broadband is as good at home here as in London although 4G is patchy) there's no issue with shopping as we just go online (which was something we were doing more and more in London already). The beach is about 20 mins drive away up winding roads where you can actually get out of 3rd gear(!) and lots of things like insurance and food (due to proper local markets, not the pretend London overpriced equivalent) are significantly cheaper, and tbh we spend longer at home now as we have enough space and a big garden to enjoy. On the negative front, there aren't as many places to eat out and no fancy nightclubs - but none of those things really excited me in London for the last 20 years anyway! The local kids seem less interested in hanging on street corners and actually have house parties, go to the beach for the day and are quite happy to walk for miles to see each other. You need to run a couple of cars as the public transport or pretty useless apart from the major market towns, but as I say insurance is cheaper and as you can drive at 40-60 mph on most roads you'll get more mpg than you're used to in London (and we can get to Norwich which is 25 miles away in about 40 mins quite easily). Local services are comparable - we have a disabled son and although there are less care options they are spread much less thinly than London so that's been fine too, and the local schools are also very good. For balance I should say that havin spent a lifetime living in and around London and grown to genuinely dislike the place over the last 5 years or so I was there so may be a bit biased!

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    We moved from London Bridge to South East London but the plan is to move to Chester as soon as we can (family are there). The uncertainty around Brexit and the GE has had a noticeable impact on the housing market as has the Stamp Duty changes so we'll have to stick it out for a bit longer. That said when we do move we'll be mortgage free or have a small mortgage and a couple of rentals providing income. I can move my job to Liverpool / Manchester on the same salary but SWMBO will take a massive cut. Hopefully everything will balance. I'm in my thirties with a young family so will have to keep the money coming in to pay for schools etc. We can't wait to go though.
    You don't have to pay for schools you know (my parents did and I can't say I enjoyed it) - I've come to realise that quality of life and income are very separate things! If I had my time again I'd have moved earlier - the difference between a rural and an urban childhood in 2017 is massive, and when they're young you need time and space to enjoy them

Can't see me leaving London for somewhere else in the UK to be honest - with a mixed race family the whole Brexit anti-immigrant vitriol coming from the Shires has freaked us out a bit. Probably will move to Asia if we do move. Currently live in Kingston Upon Thames right on the river and if there's a lovelier area to live in the UK (factoring open spaces, quality of local facilities, shopping etc) I'll eat my hat.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Can't see me leaving London for somewhere else in the UK to be honest - with a mixed race family the whole Brexit anti-immigrant vitriol coming from the Shires has freaked us out a bit. Probably will move to Asia if we do move. Currently live in Kingston Upon Thames right on the river and if there's a lovelier area to live in the UK (factoring open spaces, quality of local facilities, shopping etc) I'll eat my hat.

I'll agree on the shops front, and I thought they were open spaces when I lived there but I'd disagree now after 2 years away!
    I have to say I've seen no evidence of any 'anti immigrant vitriol' since moving, but am shocked how literally 99% of the population up here seem to be white British. It's very peculiar in fact, and something that hadn't even occurred to me until I'd been here a few weeks. It's a shame to hear you feel like that, I felt there was an increasing gulf between the rich and poor in London and that had become more obvious around Kingston over the last few years (at least it had to me but that's just my opinion). I was genuinely worried every time my kids went into Kingston - it has a bad reputation for violence and disorder at pub closing time

Master
    I did the opposite, moved from Norwich to London a few years ago. I decided a few years ago that whilst it was important to live in a nice place, it is also important to be able to get away from it! Norwich was great when you were actually there, good shops and a nice place to wander round but I cursed it everytime I wanted to/needed to be elsewhere. Having to travel for at least an hour by car/train/whatever to get to any other reasonable sized population centre was a pain and it was quicker to fly to Schipol than get to Heathrow for long haul flights I was told!

Now, I live within 90 mins of 5 international airports, could get to a friends wedding in North Wales in less than 3 hours by train (far faster than when I lived in Oxford 60 miles nearer) and am about 3 hours from Paris door to door. This is notwithstanding the restaurants covering most countries from A-Z within walking distance and any shop one could reasonably need to visit within 30 mins travel. I meet up with far more frields from university etc here than anywhere else I have been/lived as despite not studying here, most people of my peer group work here and those who do not travel to London regularly.

I remember visiting Kingston lots as a child-mostly because it was convenient and because of the shops and always fancied living there. My pick for the area to live now though is probably Hampstead, shops within walking distance not so good but great open spaces, nice architecture, good local facilities and easy access via tube to central London and good access to roads/stations for when you want to leave. Property prices tend to reflect that though...

Almost forgot to add that I earn virtually no more working here than anywhere else and would have more financial freedom living elsewhere due to the lower cost of housing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    I did the opposite, moved from Norwich to London a few years ago. I decided a few years ago that whilst it was important to live in a nice place, it is also important to be able to get away from it! Norwich was great when you were actually there, good shops and a nice place to wander round but I cursed it everytime I wanted to/needed to be elsewhere. Having to travel for at least an hour by car/train/whatever to get to any other reasonable sized population centre was a pain and it was quicker to fly to Schipol than get to Heathrow for long haul flights I was told!

Now, I live within 90 mins of 5 international airports, could get to a friends wedding in North Wales in less than 3 hours by train (far faster than when I lived in Oxford 60 miles nearer) and am about 3 hours from Paris door to door. This is notwithstanding the restaurants covering most countries from A-Z within walking distance and any shop one could reasonably need to visit within 30 mins travel. I meet up with far more frields from university etc here than anywhere else I have been/lived as despite not studying here, most people of my peer group work here and those who do not travel to London regularly.

I remember visiting Kingston lots as a child-mostly because it was convenient and because of the shops and always fancied living there. My pick for the area to live now though is probably Hampstead, shops within walking distance not so good but great open spaces, nice architecture, good local facilities and easy access via tube to central London and good access to roads/stations for when you want to leave. Property prices tend to reflect that though...

Almost forgot to add that I earn virtually no more working here than anywhere else and would have more financial freedom living elsewhere due to the lower cost of housing etc.
    Most of that goes out the window when you have kids!

Grand Master
    London's OK to visit, but I'd hate to live there. The insane property prices have done a lot of harm, particularly in the home counties. Lack of green open spaces/countryside is enough to put me off; my rule is simple, if you live more than 3 miles from a cow or sheep you' re in the wrong place!

Paul

Blog Entries
    I can't imagine anything worse than living in a big city, any big city. Just doesn't turn my screw, I much prefer a small village in the "Shires" for my lifestyle.

But hey 'one mans meat...........'

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I can't imagine anything worse than living in a big city, any big city. Just doesn't turn my screw, I much prefer a small village in the "Shires" for my lifestyle.

But hey 'one mans meat...........'

Ian
    I completely agree with you but by the same token can understand why city dwellers feel the opposite.

As you say, "one man's meat..."

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    London's OK to visit, but I'd hate to live there. The insane property prices have done a lot of harm, particularly in the home counties. Lack of green open spaces/countryside is enough to put me off; my rule is simple, if you live more than 3 miles from a cow or sheep you' re in the wrong place!

Paul
    Not all of the south east is London Paul and there's plenty of green spaces down here too!

House prices can be a bit silly though but again, not when compared to London!

Craftsman
    I'm currently in Islington and can walk to the office which is a big positive.

I'm very keen to move out at some point as I would be loathe to pay £500k for some tiny flat with no space. Which is bad enough living in now with no kids.

The thames link up to somewhere like St Albans seems like a decent middle ground, quick enough to get central but the mortgage would stretch alot further. Not sure I could handle a really long commute in if I went anywhere more remote.

Or might just tough it out central for another 10 years renting and then semi retire back in Scotland or abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Paul
    There are London residential postcodes that have abundant green space Paul, but probably not places that tourists would normally visit. In my corner of SE London we have a huge amount of parkland, mature trees, feral foxes and parakeets as well as other abundant wildlife, even proper village pubs plus a working farm a 15 minute walk away (and a DLR station a 15 minute walk in the other direction). All of 25 minutes from central London too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    There are London residential postcodes that have abundant green space Paul, but probably not places that tourists would normally visit. In my corner of SE London we have a huge amount of parkland, mature trees, feral foxes and parakeets as well as other abundant wildlife, even proper village pubs plus a working farm a 15 minute walk away (and a DLR station a 15 minute walk in the other direction). All of 25 minutes from central London too.
    I agree with this- we are in zone 4 north east london, 5 mins in 1 direction is Epping Forest, 5 mins the other is the central line tube. Best of both worlds.

Master
    And M6's...........ffs

Quote Originally Posted by RSBains View Post
    Hi everyone I love watches

Master
    Yes obviously, very blatant- wait till your post count is reduced to zero............

Just upping my post count

This is obviously a troll in disguise

Blog Entries
    I'm not a troll. I'm sorry I will leave
    Shouldn't worry heard worse mate!

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    I agree with this- we are in zone 4 north east london, 5 mins in 1 direction is Epping Forest, 5 mins the other is the central line tube. Best of both worlds.
    Sounds about where I am but I'm Victoria Line. 20 minutes to the centre of London one way, or 10 minutes the other to one of the country's ancient forests, the Lee Valley and all the walks and waterways there, or just a little bit further and you're in the Essex sticks.

It's the perfect balance. Well it would be if I didn't work on the other side of the city due to a company merger, but there's nowhere else we want to live. Yes, house prices are insane; yes, the centre is clogged with fumes; yes, it's busy, busy, busy, but it's alive, and there's sanctuary not far away.

We visit my inlaws in a small town in Wiltshire quite a lot and while it's great for a few days, we start getting itchy for home. There's no mix there, everyone's white and it feels uncomfortable. I love the fresh country air but I'd go mad if I had to live in a small town or village. I've lived in cities all my life and am happy to stay there.

Master
    Horses for courses and all that but Epping Forest and The Lee Valley aren't exactly The Great Outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Horses for courses and all that but Epping Forest and The Lee Valley aren't exactly The Great Outdoors.
    I don't think anyone said they were. Have you been to either?

Master
    Yes, been to both when I lived in London and more recently when visiting.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Yes, been to both when I lived in London and more recently when visiting.
    Great!

Master
    They are. Very pleasant :-)

No other city in the UK is a true 'world city' like London. The main part of Manchester bordered by Ancoats down to the railway line which is where all the shopping/business/entertainment is would neatly fit inside Hyde Park.
    People love to bash London but it is what it is, a huge city with lots to offer, if you don't like it then no need to trouble yourself with living/working or visiting there. 9 million people chose to live there so it can't be all bad.

Personally I love it here and I also love the countryside where I was brought up, it's the provincial towns that give me the fear (like StAlbans) same shite chain restaurants/shops and dead at the weekends apart from chavvy types in trainers and blue and white sportswear.

It's really crowded, ridiculously expensive, everyone is always in a rush. What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    It's really crowded, ridiculously expensive, everyone is always in a rush. What's not to like?
    not a fan then?

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    not a fan then?
    Grew up there. Thought it was fantastic. The centre of the universe.
    When I was seventeen I actually felt sorry for people who didn't live in London because I thought they were missing out.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    When I was seventeen I actually felt sorry for people who didn't live in London because I thought they were missing out.
    I occasionally feel like I'm missing out living so far away from London. There have been many one-off concerts, shows and events that are only held in London that I would have loved to go to. Weekend events are sometimes okay (it's only two hours on the train) but midweek stuff is usually ruled out by work commitments.

Plus of course the weather is considerably better in the South East.

Any day the weather is a bit off we have the consolation of knowing it will be worse oop North.

Fortunately where I live I have woods (with a gate) at the end of my garden and fields off of that.

I can also be in central London in 25 minutes by train for all that the capital has to offer.
    Last edited by Neil.C; 28th July 2017 at 14:54.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I don't know whether this bears out, but I think you tend to like what you're used to. I was born in an outer suburb of a mid-size city (Manchester), and although I lived more of an urban life when I was a student & just after, I've settled back into an outer surburb. I'd find London way too claustrophobic, and places like New York or Tokyo would be way too much. By the same token I know people who've moved away from big cities and found provincial life way too tame.

I was born in Westminster, we only lived there until I was around three years old so have hardly any memory of that time.
    We do have hundreds of relatives all over London and the south east though, and visit occasionally. I love the Smoke.

In small doses!

Journeyman
    I love London. Ive worked in the West end and city all my working life and commute from approximately 20 miles away(half an hour by train).
    The more I have travelled the more I have learnt to appreciate the choice and diversity London offers.
    The choice of restaurantsl/different cuisine alone does it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    I love London. Ive worked in the West end and city all my working life and commute from approximately 20 miles away(half an hour by train).
    The more I have travelled the more I have learnt to appreciate the choice and diversity London offers.
    The choice of restaurantsl/different cuisine alone does it for me.
    I don't get to eat out much with young kids 😩 Did a lot on my 20's though.

Love London. born and raised here. So much to do. Took advantage of what London has to offer throughout my twenties and was out every weekend!

Now I've got two young kids I've moved on the borders and live in Barnet . 100m up my road is on the border of London so my half my road isn't technically in London. Best of both worlds, garden backs onto Green belt and green fields all around me and still less than 20 mins by train into Central London .

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I don't get to eat out much with young kids  Did a lot on my 20's though.
    It's not always easy but my oldest daughter was in a busy tapas bar at 3days old. She slept in a car seat, obliviously, at the end of the table the whole time. That was 15 years ago now but we have always taken them to restaurants on a regular basis. For us it is important family time

Gosh what a sheltered life I've lived.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Thank you very much to those who have taken the time to reply with their stories. I would also be interested in stories of those who've made the move from London to the sunnier parts of Europe.
    I worked in London decade before last, moved back to Cambridge as fast as possible. From Cambridge moved to Switzerland. Now live on the side of a mountain 20 minutes from Zürich. Whether you enjoy a change like that depends on what's important to you. Space, peace, calm, or liveliness, excitement, and the buzz of a global city?

Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    It's not always easy but my oldest daughter was in a busy tapas bar at 3days old. She slept in a car seat, obliviously, at the end of the table the whole time. That was 15 years ago now but we have always taken them to restaurants on a regular basis. For us it is important family time
    Oh we do eat out but we can do that anywhere. Pizza and pasta is the same everywhere as long as it's cooked properly. The nice restaurants that living in London gives you access to are more difficult with kids.

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Now live on the side of a mountain 20 minutes from Zürich.
    Are you a Goat ?