closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Do you prohibit the wearing of shoes indoors ?

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, wearing shoes indoors is always unacceptable.

113 53.30%
  • No, I'm not too bothered unless shoes are soiled.

69 32.55%
  • I meander between both states.

30 14.15%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: People that take shoes off going indoors...

Why would you want to wear shoes indoors? Always prefer socks or a comfy pair of slippers

Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    I refuse to invite people who are so self important as to lack a modicum of respect for their hosts.
    My mother in law was quite uptight about shoe removal until one night she suffered a vein burst in her ankle. It looked like a scene from some horrific horror movie with blood spurting up the walls, soaked in to carpets from the kitchen, living room and the downstairs bathroom where she ended up.
    We were there until 2am scrubbing the blood with packets and packets of salt.
    Every now and again she diverts in to shoe removal mode but generally a quick reminder about the night her son in law scrubbed her carpets walls and floors until 2am realigns her OCD. She had them professionally cleaned and so didn't need replacing.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It's not OCD to not wear shoes in the house it's basic cleanliness.

Quote Originally Posted by ray_li30 View Post
    Why would you want to wear shoes indoors? Always prefer socks or a comfy pair of slippers
    Only if your socks are minging. Otherwise what's the big deal?
    I'm always in and out of the garage, kids taxi service, our place is like a train-station (3 young kids).

I'd have my shoes on/off 30/40 times a day.

Again, I'm learning here.

- - - Updated - - -

Time to add a poll ?

Hard floors. I can't stand fitted carpets, one of the worst British fads along with keeping the washing machine in the kitchen (that's another rant for another day). Fitted carpets are disgusting unsanitary bacteria farms. Ditch them, have nice clean, moppable disinfectable floors, and then people coming and going in outdoor footwear isn't a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    I'm always in and out of the garage, kids taxi service, our place is like a train-station (3 young kids).

I'd have my shoes on/off 30/40 times a day.

Again, I'm learning here.

- - - Updated - - -

Time to add a poll ?

What do all you folk do when you get to the office?

There's one guy that walks around our place in his socks, but he's a total werdio.

Master
    I worked with a guy who wore his slippers at work.

He was indeed, a weirdo 😳😜

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post

There's one guy that walks around our place in his socks, but he's a total werdio.
    Usually I take my shoes off, take a nap on the couch, enjoy some juicy farts, have sex with my wife etc. Or maybe home and workplace have different sets of rules altogether.

Shoes off, always have and always will. Why would you wear shoes indoor anyway. Let your feet breath!

Like I want outside muck/mud/crap/etc on my floors trapsed in from outside! No, thanks.

Master

Seriously? Comparing a semi-public space like an office to your home?

I put my shoes on when I get up in the morning and take them off just before I go to bed. Every day.

Sounds like a lot of people need to go out and buy shoes that actually fit them.

People that take shoes off going indoors...

Deleted
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 17th September 2017 at 01:03.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    G&D , not for swearing in.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    So let me get this straight you won't let me in wearing my shoes which will have a bit of dust on and I can wipe on your mat but you're happy for me to have my sweaty socks moist with living bacteria on your carpet?
    Yes your socks are only sweaty because you don't take your shoes off.

Which country do you live in to have only have a bit of dust on your shoes? It's been pissing down half the day here.

I was just out cutting the lawn, I assume if I was in your house I'd be leaving a trail of grass on your carpets?

None of my family wear shoes indoors, only the inlaws but their carpets are filthy and they have a dog. When the kids are at theirs I prefer them to keep shoes on but kids don't like wearing shoes all day so inevitably their white socks end up black.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I put my shoes on when I get up in the morning and take them off just before I go to bed. Every day.

Sounds like a lot of people need to go out and buy shoes that actually fit them.
    Why wear shoes if you don't need to?

Don't wear shoes in my house nor do guests. When I go to other peoples houses I always ask if they would like me to remove my shoes always thought it a bit odd on the occasion when people say its fine to wear shoes then going into the living room and seeing a new carpet or something and wondering why on earth they would want someone walking outdoor shoes on it but each to their own.

Someone does the same where I work, we don't work in the same office do we?

Seems perfectly natural to me to take my shoes off when entering a house.
    To be fair I don't wear shoes and socks unless I am in the office . The rest of the time I wear flip flops so I just kick them off at the door and go barefoot.

We don't ask any guests to take shoes off but nearly everyone does.

When visiting if there is a pile of shoes near the front door I will step out of my flip flops at the door and enter barefoot but it just is not an issue I've never actually been told to take my shoes off.
    We have tiled floors - there is one rug in the lounge but that is it.

If I'm at home and we don't have visitors I also take off my t-shirt and just walk around in shorts.
    The kids usually drop everything when they come home - shoes , t-shirts and shorts - it's pants time - to be fair puberty has not hit my house so I expect that will change.

Master
    Some people actually wear shoes inside the house?

Master
    I'm not too fussed but my wife's rule is no shoes so I take my shoes off. I would tell a guest they don't need to but most take them off before asking.

- - - Updated - - -

Time to try crocs ;)
    Don't knock em til you've tried em!

I wear them at work!

Shoes off always.

Shoes off, and that applies to everyone who comes into my house. It's simple hygiene. Our streets are utter filth and I won't allow that into my clean house. There's a rack in the porch at the front, and a chest for garden shoes, boots etc at the back.

As I type I'm in my socks as I was having a shave a while ago. Our house is a busy house, 3 young kids, all their friends; homework groups/trampoline/cartoons. Next door's gang in and out. Grandparents/uncles/aunts in and out. My brothers and their kids. Last night (Saturday) we had about 6 people here for pizza/beers. Must be 40 people a week passing through here.

Getting all of those people 'culturally aligned' to taking off their shoes so they can enter this place, I just couldn't do it, I'd be like a bouncer and I think some of those people would raise an eyebrow. We'll just continue giving the place a quick mop-out once a week. For some reason, my circle seems to be different to the TZUK demographic.

So for me; I need to be aware that far more people, than I may have realised, prefer that people do not wear shoes in their houses.
    So for others here; be mindful there's a lot of people like me that would raise an eyebrow if asked to take off ones shoes upon crossing sacred threshold.

There's a happy balance somewhere...

Did someone mention Crocs?

Good idea. I wear mine most days indoors. Sometimes I wear them in the shower so they get a frequent clean too.

I also like clip clopping about in a pair of black Oxfords

No carpets in my house other than the bedrooms - everywhere else is either tiles or laminate so I'm not worried about dirt, its all easy for the cleaner to disinfect every week.

So you can wear whatever you like at my place.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Yes your socks are only sweaty because you don't take your shoes off.

Which country do you live in to have only have a bit of dust on your shoes? It's been pissing down half the day here.

I was just out cutting the lawn, I assume if I was in your house I'd be leaving a trail of grass on your carpets?

None of my family wear shoes indoors, only the inlaws but their carpets are filthy and they have a dog. When the kids are at theirs I prefer them to keep shoes on but kids don't like wearing shoes all day so inevitably their white socks end up black.
    I don't have any carpets as I find they tend to harbour dirt and bacteria!
    RIAC

We generally kick off our shoes at the front door - underfloor heating makes it cosy in the winter - but I wouldn't dream of asking a guest to remove them (although most do). Floors get hoovered and most of our guests wouldn't be wearing 'work boots' covered in mud anyway. All this over cleanliness white carpet and white sofas nonsense is why there's so much asthma and allergies imho. Keep you house clean but it doesn't have to be like an operating theatre!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I'm feeling a bit saucy I just wear socks so that with a bit of a run up I can do a slide into the kitchen from the hall. A bit like the days before H&S at school when you cold fashion slides in the playground when it was frosty.

Its not as easy as it used to be but with a helping hand from the electric chair I can get a fair bit of momentum up:

Try doing that with fitted carpets!

Fitted carpets is just asking for trouble. You wouldn't wear the same jeans everyday.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Fitted carpets is just asking for trouble. You wouldn't wear the same jeans everyday.
    You might but you can't put the carpet in a freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Hard floors. I can't stand fitted carpets, one of the worst British fads along with keeping the washing machine in the kitchen (that's another rant for another day). Fitted carpets are disgusting unsanitary bacteria farms. Ditch them, have nice clean, moppable disinfectable floors, and then people coming and going in outdoor footwear isn't a concern.
    I'm perfectly happy for you to build me a utility room in space I don't have and few people do.

Apparently most families tend to keep their washing machines in the bathroom across the EU and in the US. Clearly it hasn't occurred to them that the combination of a bath and mains electricity in the same room is just marginally more dangerous than washing your smalls near your kitchen table!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm always barefoot at home.
    People who come round don't have to take their shoes off. I've got hard floors and a dog so clean it regularly anyway.

If I'm going round someone else's I ask if they'd like me to take my shoes off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Apparently most families tend to keep their washing machines in the bathroom across the EU and in the US. Clearly it hasn't occurred to them that the combination of a bath and mains electricity in the same room is just marginally more dangerous than washing your smalls near your kitchen table!
    Most European countries, Britain excepted, have had wiring regulations that require RCDs of some kind at the top of the main circuit since way back last century. This means that we can also have proper sockets in our bathrooms for when people need to plug in hairdryers or power tools. The sockets are normally recessed to minimise the chance of water ingress.

In the US they only have 110 volts, hardly enough to give you more than a mild tickling sensation.

Blog Entries
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bDIHvyskp-U

Shoes off in ours unless you're a guest and then I'd think it good manners if you asked.

Shoes are for outside, although I won't pretend there aren't the odd times when I'll work through the house in my shoes rather than take them off for a few minutes.

M

Master
    Blog Entries
    Shoes are optional for guests - we never ask guests to remove but find that most do remove them.

The only exception to this was in our old flat where we had a ecru-coloured carpet in the lounge, we asked people who went in there to remove shoes if it was winter/wet outside.

Grand Master
    Each guest at our house is issued with 2 x disposable overshoes, which they have to log out and then log in once they leave. Overalls and 3M face masks are optional, although highly recommended.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    Only workmen. My other invited guests understand their footwear has to be clean. That said I've only one room on the ground floor with carpet, which guests don't tend to go into.
    You have carpet in your kennel.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    Each guest at our house is issued with 2 x disposable overshoes, which they have to log out and then log in once they leave. Overalls and 3M face masks are optional, although highly recommended.

I've surveyed houses where I felt it was more appropriate to wipe my feet on the way out rather than on the way in. A pair of those covers would have been great. The filth some people are prepared to live in is beyond my comprehension.

Tile floors throughout and bare-feet this time of year, slippers or thick socks for the winter.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post

Whenever I've had a Sky engineer our they put these on. I always thought it was a decent little touch

I'm from a shoes-on home, my wife is from a shoes-off. After a certain amount of conflict and even open defiance, guess what? We're now a shoes-off house!

On a more serious note, it's a bit of a binary viewpoint, and definitely cultural - in some countries, we wouldn't be asking the question. In the UK we're a bit of a split.

From the point of view of visitors, I'm of the opinion that it's up to them, but having said that a courteous guest would respect the wishes of the host.

I think the whole shoes-off thing is partly a "look after what you've got" i.e. don't knacker the carpet (which I understand, especially if you've got kids), but partly a germophobic thing (which I don't have as much time for i.e. are toxoplasmosis, lymes disease and bubonic plague really endemic in shoes-on households?)

Craftsman
    chinese heritage grew up in Aus, spent loads of time training my friends to take their shoes off before coming into the house!

Asian cultures, which are generally 'shoes off' would traditionally have alot less furniture in the place, ie you could easily be sitting on the floor just on a mat or carpet or something. In those conditions it just makes sense to take your shoes off before entering.

If you go round someone's house in the UK and they are wearing out door shoes in the house, then that's one thing, but if they are not wearing outdoor shoes in the house and there's a telltale pile of shoes next to the front door, then I think it's pretty obvious either just to take your shoes off or ask them. It's not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I don't see a home carpet as a health hazard if it's hoovered regulalry and cleaned occasionally. My grandparents (90) have survived living with fitted carpets, I'm sure I'll be fine.

Most of us spend alot more time, sitting in fabric chairs and sofas without worriying about them being "disgusting unsanitary bacteria farms".

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I don't see a home carpet as a health hazard if it's hoovered regulalry and cleaned occasionally. My grandparents (90) have survived living with fitted carpets, I'm sure I'll be fine.

Most of us spend alot more time, sitting in fabric chairs and sofas without worriying about them being "disgusting unsanitary bacteria farms".
    You can get sofas with removable washable covers. Anyone who's had dogs or children in the house can see the benefits of this.

Most people don't wipe the bottom of their shoes on the sofa either.

I just don't like fitted carpets. It's more of a practical issue for me than a hygiene one. I'm not that bothered about a few germs. I think we tend to over sanitise things anyway. But if you get a stain on a fitted carpet it can be a pain to get out. It's not just about the odd bit of dog shit that someone might have brought in. Spilt paint, red wine, squished oil pastels....these things happen in a house, especially if you've got kids. Worst case scenario, if you can't get a bad stain out, then you have to start thinking about replacing the whole carpet. A nice fitted carpet costs a fortune. You don't want to spend that very often.

My grandparents also had fitted carpet, and we had them in the house when I was growing up. I just don't find them as practical as a nice wooden floor. Luckily my place has nice old proper pine floorboards throughout. (if I had a modern house without old boards, then I'd probably be looking at seagrass than a fitted carpet.)

If you want the comfort then you can just add a few rugs. Easier to clean and replace and you can always move them around if you fancy moving the furniture for a new look.
    Last edited by seikopath; 31st July 2017 at 09:58.

Craftsman
    I always wear shoes in my house and none of my friends ask me to take off shoes when I visit theirs .To be honest it's not something I thought of before reading this thread .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    I'm surprised at how many people follow the no shoes culture.....I can understand why, though the hassle would drive me crazy.

Also, those of you with pets, do you ask them to wear shoes when indoors?

sent from TZ-UK mobile app