closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rolex crown not lining up

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    Hublot bezel screws don't all align even at their price point!
    Screw alignment is the least of Hublot's worries.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    "Hansi, zere is a sthread on TZ-UK about zer crown alignment on the Treeplock. Zay don't line up aesthetically wiz zee plane
    of zee dial. Let uns re-engineer zee crown, zee shtem, zee seals und zee crown tube to zo enable zee aesthetic!"

"Bastian , zat will cost millions of froncs. But we will be able to pass acht times zee cost on to zee customers. Call zee
    advertizing department. Vell done! Ker-ching vor uns! Milka bars all round!"

This is getting schtupid...
    Aside form the fact that Milka is not from Suisse, and that we speak French here, you are probably spot on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Aside form the fact that Milka is not from Suisse, and that we speak French here, you are probably spot on.

Du, du, surfheini!!

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I have a similar issue with my car. The logos on all 4 wheels doesn't line up when I park.
    You would think that BMW would make sure that the logos all line up during service but apparently that's too much to ask for. Tsk!

I understand that the logos doesn't necessarily all align properly upwards as they do in the brochures. But that they're all pointing in different direction is just sloppy.

;-)

Sorry, I got nothing to add this this discussion. As long as the crown keeps the water out then I'm good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by henrik View Post
    Sorry, I got nothing to add this this discussion. As long as the crown keeps the water out then I'm good.
    But the angst and panic are quite fun to watch, nicht wahr?

Banned

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by henrik View Post
    I have a similar issue with my car. The logos on all 4 wheels doesn't line up when I park.
    You would think that BMW would make sure that the logos all line up during service but apparently that's too much to ask for. Tsk!

I understand that the logos doesn't necessarily all align properly upwards as they do in the brochures. But that they're all pointing in different direction is just sloppy.

;-)

BMW don't say or give the impression they will do they.

As long as the crown keeps the water out, what about the steering wheel on your BMW if that was off center would you complain, it still turns the car.

Craftsman
    Blast from the past here. But my deep sea d-blue lines up. Non of my others do though

Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post
    Blast from the past here. But my deep sea d-blue lines up. Non of my others do though
    That was definitely worth bumping a 4 year old thread for. Thanks for letting us know.

Craftsman
    Always cracks me up when I see cheaper brands that somehow can pull it off. Yet Rolex can't.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    That was definitely worth bumping a 4 year old thread for. Thanks for letting us know.
    Pleasure

Apprentice
    My GMT master 2 (1998) used to line up perfectly, then it went for service. They replaced the crown and thread, and now it doesn't line up. I suspect that Rolex have given up the effort to line it up properly.

Craftsman
    Think it's a chance thing. I have one out of 3 they does. But like some say in all the glossy books and adverts they line up perfectly

Master
    Rolex trip lock crown and screw in crown tube set up
    is excellent. Main purpose is to stop water getting in. Obviously the main reason for it as it was designed as a tool watch for divers, I doubt the divers cared. Now you have desk divers discussing crown alignment at the office Ffs!
    Last edited by Karl; 31st July 2017 at 23:13.

Grand Master
    Can anyone explain how the 'crown lining up' can be achieved?........a basic understanding of how the parts fit together would be an advantage but I`m damned if I can see an easy way of achieving this on a mass-produced watch. If any other brands manage it I`d be interested to know.

Come on, critics, enlighten us all with a technical explanation of how it can be done? It's easy to see how they do it for the photos....they don`t tighten it down!

I`ve fitted new crowns to plenty of watches with screw-down crowns and I`ve never considered this to be a criteria that can be easily controlled.......but given the level of consternation maybe I`m missing a trick?

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 31st July 2017 at 23:23.

Craftsman
    Speak with Citizen or Seiko since they have a big presence in UK and are capable of designing watches in a way that allows perfect crown alignment, at least in their mid tier/higher end models. Similarly Seiko are one of the very few who were capable of mastering the quartz second hand vs markers alignment, something e.g. Omega, Breitling can't do.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Can anyone explain how the 'crown lining up' can be achieved?........a basic understanding of how the parts fit together would be an advantage but I`m damned if I can see an easy way of achieving this on a mass-produced watch. If any other brands manage it I`d be interested to know.

Come on, critics, enlighten us all with a technical explanation of how it can be done? It's easy to see how they do it for the photos....they don`t tighten it down!

I`ve fitted new crowns to plenty of watches with screw-down crowns and I`ve never considered this to be a criteria that can be easily controlled.......but given the level of consternation maybe I`m missing a trick?

Paul

I havent a clue Paul and don't mind which way it's pointing, but I'd like to know too , with a Rolex could you not fiddle around with the screw in crown tube starting it off screwing into the case at different points, can't see it making much difference tho ?
    Last edited by Karl; 31st July 2017 at 23:52.

Master
    As far as I can tell the only way it can be done is to have 2 faces of accurately machined metal mating to each other so that when the thread is screwed to it's final position the 2 mating surfaces make contact with the crown in the 'set' position.
    For this to happen you will need to take the o ring out of the equation and have quite a coarse thread to ensure that you can't apply enough torque to go past it's 'set' position, a fine thread will allow enough torque for it to carry on past it's 'set' position which would defeat the object.

If all the o rings where on the stem rater than also inside the crown this could be done, but that is not the triplock design.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    As far as I can tell the only way it can be done is to have 2 faces of accurately machined metal mating to each other so that when the thread is screwed to it's final position the 2 mating surfaces make contact with the crown in the 'set' position.
    For this to happen you will need to take the o ring out of the equation and have quite a coarse thread to ensure that you can't apply enough torque to go past it's 'set' position, a fine thread will allow enough torque for it to carry on past it's 'set' position which would defeat the object.

If all the o rings where on the stem rater than also inside the crown this could be done, but that is not the triplock design.

Makes sense

Grand Master
    You're lucky, if you buy a new Rolex from today the AD's keep the crown and you have to pop back when you want it winding.
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 1st August 2017 at 06:49.
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    Speak with Citizen or Seiko since they have a big presence in UK and are capable of designing watches in a way that allows perfect crown alignment, at least in their mid tier/higher end models. Similarly Seiko are one of the very few who were capable of mastering the quartz second hand vs markers alignment, something e.g. Omega, Breitling can't do.
    Any pictures or model references you can provide? Real life pics not promotional materials...

Rolex skydweller in PM crowns line up. Ive posted a picture of how its done before but cant be bothered to find it again.

Master
    It certainly is possible, and mystifies me why a company like Rolex wouldn't want to achieve this.

I collect pens, and was thinking about exactly this the other day as I was screwing the faceted barrel to the nib section of a mass produced and relatively cheap pen (£180) - requiring about 10 turns and lines up perfectly every time - it's designed this way as an aesthetic thing so that the nib, barrel and a fancy part at the end of the barrel all line up.

This sort of thread will always attract comments like "who cares if it lines up" but the reality is that being a member here has made me realise most watch collectors seem extremely anal, and frankly high end watches are often all about precision of manufacture (read endless official Rolex blurb) so it does seem very odd they don't make it line up.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    It certainly is possible, and mystifies me why a company like Rolex wouldn't want to achieve this.

I collect pens, and was thinking about exactly this the other day as I was screwing the faceted barrel to the nib section of a mass produced and relatively cheap pen (£180) - requiring about 10 turns and lines up perfectly every time - it's designed this way as an aesthetic thing so that the nib, barrel and a fancy part at the end of the barrel all line up.

This sort of thread will always attract comments like "who cares if it lines up" but the reality is that being a member here has made me realise most watch collectors seem extremely anal, and frankly high end watches are often all about precision of manufacture (read endless official Rolex blurb) so it does seem very odd they don't make it line up.
    If you swap out nibs between two different pens do they still line up?

Its a moot comparison anyway as the triplock system is dependent on three different, much smaller threads. Tube, stem, crown. Its theoretically possible by engraving the crown after its placed on the watch, but as has been discussed previously, the gaskets will cause a change in the height, tightening force will vary etc.

Of course at servicing time, when the tube and crown is replaced and the case polished, alignment is lost...

The skydweller uses a cap on top of the crown, that can be realigned. Means more parts that can break and higher cost...

Totally pointless exercise which is why no one bothers with it... Including AP, PP, VC etc...

Master
    ^ Fair enough, thanks for the explanation - perhaps it's not as easy in watches as in pens afterall!

(PS yes re: lining up with different caps / barrels / nibs etc - I sometimes swap them about "for fun" (lol!) )

This *may* be the answer, although one can never be sure:

Drawing from Rolex Patent US 20130114383 A1

"Description:

[0001] The invention concerns a watch case including a crown having a front face provided with a distinctive sign, this crown having the particular feature of always reverting to its initial orientation after unscrewing and then screwing. The invention also relates to a method of assembling such a watch case. The invention also concerns a timepiece, notably a watch, in particular a wristwatch, including such a case. The invention further concerns a case produced using the assembly method."

Paul
    Last edited by Broussard; 1st August 2017 at 08:31.

they could do it if they machined the inner thread of the crowntube and the outer thread that the crown goes onto in a precise way along with the thread in the crowns to always be the same
    but I reckon the machine that does this just does it randomly as its faster and cheaper.... and is the same machine they've had for years

The crown on my Pelagos lines up but I'm not sure if that is by design or luck.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    This *may* be the answer, although one can never be sure:

Drawing from Rolex Patent US 20130114383 A1

"Description:

[0001] The invention concerns a watch case including a crown having a front face provided with a distinctive sign, this crown having the particular feature of always reverting to its initial orientation after unscrewing and then screwing. The invention also relates to a method of assembling such a watch case. The invention also concerns a timepiece, notably a watch, in particular a wristwatch, including such a case. The invention further concerns a case produced using the assembly method."
    Just tried that and didn't work. GMT2

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Just tried that and didn't work. GMT2

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I saw this on the SkyDwellers when they came out, but, to be honest, I haven't bothered to check since...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    ^ Fair enough, thanks for the explanation - perhaps it's not as easy in watches as in pens afterall!

)
    That's the point I was making! It's unrealistic to simply assume a manufacturer should go to these extremes without thinking it through. It's technically challenging to say the least and it provides minimal gain, yet people think Rolex are slacking on quality by not doing so!

The patent looks interesting but it's not clear how it all works.

For those who find a misaligned crown logo a problem there's a simple answer...... swap it for a generic replacement that'll fit but won't have any markings.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    Im a seiko slagbagbag narrow minded fanboy but I'm not havin that re omega quartz!

1st World problem
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Prefer the Raymond Weil diver.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Im a seiko slagbagbag narrow minded fanboy but I'm not havin that re omega quartz!
    That's phantastic!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    You're lucky, if you buy a new Rolex from today the AD's keep the crown and you have to pop back when you want it winding.
    ROFL!

Can't read it (Japanese?). But worth a look for the cutaway pictures

http://m.iwatch365.com/thread-17318009-1-1.html

kev

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    The crown on my Pelagos lines up but I'm not sure if that is by design or luck.
    My Pelagos is my only watch where the crown lines up, so maybe not just luck?

Master
    ^^^^^^

No it doesn't. the peaks of the shield the left hand one is lower than the right hand one, therefore not parallel to the bezel, so not aligned. Either that or the bezel isn't on straight. Typical manufacturing faults and low QC with these cheapo brands

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    ^^^^^^

No it doesn't. the peaks of the shield the left hand one is lower than the right hand one, therefore not parallel to the bezel, so not aligned. Either that or the bezel isn't on straight. Typical manufacturing faults and low QC with these cheapo brands
    I'm not that anal.

Craftsman
    Just getting rolex to manage aligning the rehaut to the dial would be nice !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by toptime View Post
    Just getting rolex to manage aligning the rehaut to the dial would be nice !
    Don't you mean Seiko, or do Rolex have a problem with this too? :-)

Even the "Uk watches" dont line up???

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    Even the "Uk watches" dont line up???
    lol

Craftsman
    Well neither the rehaut or the crown lined up on mine and it was missing some stickers!

Master

This will work when you place the crown into the case with the logo aligned 'upright' and the splined parts(1a and 3a) hold the logo section in place, the knurled section of the crown can rotate independently of the logo section which allows the screwing down while keeping the logo secure in it's 'upright' position.
    From an engineering point of view and looking at that drawing that's how I'd suspect it's done.
    Also there doesn't appear to be the Triplock dots on the crown so maybe it will be a different sealing design as well.
    Last edited by K300; 2nd August 2017 at 22:21.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by toptime View Post
    Well neither the rehaut or the crown lined up on mine and it was missing some stickers!
    A misaligned rehaut really does annoy me... Also, I feel OP has got an unfairly large amount of grief for this topic. It's the details that make a Rolex, a Rolex. Debating a detail which some manufacturers address and Rolex ignore should be valid on this forum. If it doesn't bother you, fine (I actually agree) but no need to say others are too fussy and/ or disregard their point.

p.s. fair play to Mitch for speaking sense!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post

Mine doesn't. It's luck. And completely unimportant.

Omega appear to have applied for a patent for a design where the crown lines up:
    http://www.patentsencyclopedia.com/app/20150241846

They've also demonstrated some new technology in the new Railmaster where the case back lines up.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    It never occurred to me to look until now but mine does too.