closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: An Icelander, a Japanese, a Russian, two Germans and 7 Swiss enter into a box (SOTC)

An Icelander, a Japanese, a Russian, two Germans and 7 Swiss enter into a box (SOTC)

... and together they create my core collection. As tomorrow we leave for a two weeks holiday and they'll all go to the bank, thought that it's a good moment to share them with you. Hope you'll like it.

The Russian (Poljot) - it all started with this one in March 1986. My mum, my grandma and my great-grandma all contributed and I got this watch. All sorts of catastrophies came upon it (receiving an angry fist from a drunken mate and being washed in the wash machine and going through a full cycle are couple of them), but as a testimonial to the 'we might not be beautiful but we're sturdy' principle, it keeps working just fine.

The Icelander (JS Watch Reykjavik 10 Year Edition) - got it from the missus for my 40th. Very serious watch, it fits the Icelanders I suppose. Perfect watch for weddings and funerals (in a ratio of 4 to 1, if possible).

The first German (Nomos Club Campus) - got it from the missus for our tenth anniversary (yes, there seems to be a pattern here). Extremely comfortable, very easy to read, with a bit of funkiness due to the orange seconds hand. Excellent every day watch.

The second German (Hentschel Hafenmeister) - this I got myself for a change :) Perfect size, wonderful dial, timeless design. Beautiful, just beautiful.

The Japanese (Grand Seiko SBGR061) - I wasn't sure about this one, even considered selling it a few times. In the end, I'm glad I didn't as the dial is a masterpiece and the hands would do perfectly as razors.

The seven Swiss...

The Omega (2254) - bought it almost 10 years ago the day before a nasty surgical intervention (nothing to lose and all that). It is the first proper watch I've ever owned and the last to go (together with the Poljot).

The IWC (Mark XV Pilot) - bought it once, sold it, regretted it, pestered the buyer to sell it back, he graciously refused, finally found another. So very simple, so very comfortable. Best bracelet ever, hands down.

The Breitling (Aerospace E75362) - same story like the IWC, difference being that the buyer graciously agreed to sell it back. Very light, excellent lume, very comfortable, more and more hard to find in a good condition.

The Rolex (Explorer II) - bought it recently, had some doubts, wore it... love it. You have to wear a classic 40mm sports Rolex to understand why they are what they are, marketing or no marketing.

The Longines (Expeditions Polaires) - after reading Teeritz's review of it, I had the chance to find one locally. Again, was unsure about it, but in time it turned out to be a steady companion (and the missus loves it, so it's here to stay).

The Breitling (Navitimer 01) - some years ago I'd have said that it's too big, too blingy, too 'in your face'. Well... it's the coolest watch I own and I love it to bits.

The other Omega (SMPc blue) - some years ago I'd have said that I don't like the bracelet, the hands and the 007 connection. As with the Breitling, it only goes to show that one's WIS statements at one moment are pretty irrelevant. Love it!

So there it is, my main collection. There are a few more oldies, the inherent G-Shocks and a couple of SKX, also a few others I'm unsure of whether they'll stay or not, but these are the ones I usually wear. I certainly don't need another watch, but there's always the next one... in my case, probably a 39mm Railmaster :)

Hope you've enjoyed it!

Cheers,
    Christian

Craftsman
    Thanks for sharing and the excellent photos.
    I can see why you like the IWC.
    The Poljot seems to have character but maybe that's in part because of your short history of it.
    The one that catches my eye though is the JS:really like the coin bezel, the crown and the dial.
    Enjoy your hols.

What a fantastic collection. Thanks for sharing.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That's a lovely collection. I particularly like the poljot hentschel and nomos.

That's a lovely diverse group👍

That's a really nice varied collection and a very well written post. I'd love to try an IWC Mark XV one day, if only for the bracelet!

Journeyman
    Love the IWC.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Oops! and the Nomos. Which, if any, are you wearing on holiday?

Blog Entries
    Nice collection, thank you for sharing.

Cracking group. Especially love the GS and the Longines.

Journeyman
    Cool post. The second German, that's one good looking watch.

Master
    Fantastic collection! Love the Grand Seiko.
    Thanks for showing.

Craftsman
    A lovely collection of watches. I particularly like the IWC and the Longines.

Craftsman
    That's a really nice collection, I particularly like the Omega's and the Navitimer.

There's not a single one there that I wouldn't enjoy owning.

Thank you foe sharing.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

That Aerospace is my favourite of all the line up due to the size and superquartz movement. You're right that it's difficult to find one in good condition as most have damage to the bezel and quarters.

Beautiful watches, really enjoyed reading this and totally agree with your comments about the Explorer II. Love mine too

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    That's a nice J&S...you don't see many of them!

A good write up and pics of a lovely collection.

Craftsman
    What a great collection! Love the multinational diversity. I really like the JS , did you get it in Iceland from the main shop? Gilbert and his son are lovely people and genuinely passionate about thier watches. The Hentschel, and the GS are also lovely.
    I always love a good SOTC

Journeyman
    Nice write up, really like the Hentschel
    Thanks for sharing

Excellent collection that - and good to see the Hentschel is still off that ghastly 'strap' you switched it to when you got it!

I hadn't seen, or at least hadn't noticed, a Poljot with this shape dial before. I just had to spend five minutes with Google working out what to call that shape - a 'conical frustum' (what remains of a cone when you cut the pointy end off)

I'm borderline obsessed with Hentschel. If you wanted to post a couple dozen photos of this, I for one would be very very happy.

Master
    Great thread, superb collection. As a fellow black 16570 owner, I concur. Love that Longines too.

Many thanks guys, glad you've liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    That's a really nice varied collection and a very well written post. I'd love to try an IWC Mark XV one day, if only for the bracelet!
    You should... it's liquid!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mc View Post
    Oops! and the Nomos. Which, if any, are you wearing on holiday?

The Nomos. We're going to Naples (and then Tuscany), together with some friends, including a guy who is from Naples himself. He suggested a rather non-obtrusive watch as it seems that the locals might consider parting you with your watch if it's one of the more expensive options...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeb1 View Post
    I really like the JS , did you get it in Iceland from the main shop? Gilbert and his son are lovely people and genuinely passionate about thier watches.
    Nope, just got in touch with them via their web-site. Fast and friendly communication was followed by this lovely watch.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Excellent collection that - and good to see the Hentschel is still off that ghastly 'strap' you switched it to when you got it!
    Once in a while I still put it on a Milanaise, but a thinner, more refined one. What can I say... in works better in real life than in the pics :)

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

I hadn't seen, or at least hadn't noticed, a Poljot with this shape dial before. I just had to spend five minutes with Google working out what to call that shape - a 'conical frustum' (what remains of a cone when you cut the pointy end off)

I'm borderline obsessed with Hentschel. If you wanted to post a couple dozen photos of this, I for one would be very very happy.
    Had no idea about the conical frustum... I can tell you though that to the naked eye it seems to be a simple circle :D
    As for the Hentschel, I'll be happy to comply once I'm back in the country.

Cheers,
    Christian

Very, very cool collection. Love the JS Watch and the GS. I follow JS Watch on Instagram and always ponder buying one day.

Oh and the Mark XV Pilot. Back when IWC used to care about the position of date windows.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Very cool. I remember reading about the Icelandic watches in the IcelandAir in-flight magazine when I was on a flight once. Looks beautiful in your photos.

The SBGR is the jewel in that collection for me. Amazing line up though. Every one a classic in it's class!
    Nice pics too Wooster!

Master
    It amazes me the collections people build up and you have a very nice set of watches there. I particularly like the Grand Seiko...

Awesome collection, wear them all in good health.

Ryan

Apprentice
    Fantastic collection.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Can you post some back case photos especially the JS? Tq

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Love those less usual ones at the start and the stories that go with them. Very cool indeed.

Master
    A very tasteful collection.