closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Who will win the fight tonight?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Floyd Mayweather

68 73.12%
  • Conor McGregor

25 26.88%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Mayweather vs McGregor........today's the day!

Master
    I think Mayweather will keep McGregor in the fight long enough for there to be another megabucks rematch.
    If he wanted he could win it in the first round.

Blog Entries
    Just ordered it. I was not going to but it will be interesting!

Sent from my SM-T825Y using Tapatalk

Master
    I think CM will go balls out in the first few rounds and either catch FM with a big hit or get tired quickly without landing anything substantial, allowing FM to dictate the rest of the fight. My money would be on the latter.

Hoping McGregor might surprise everyone, but unfortunately it is extremely unlikely! I'm not keen on the 'event' in general. I'm a big fan of boxing, and I don't think this fight is doing the sport any favours. However between them as individuals, I really dislike Mayweather.

Master
    Can't stand Mayweather but dislike MCcGregor more. Feels like the only loser will be the sport of boxing though........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mayweather will win easily imo.

I agree boxing has turned into a joke unfortunately.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    Boxing is already a joke. Has been for ages. Pick one of eleventy belts. It's basically WWE for snobs nowadays.
    I agree but this feels like the final nail.

Master
    On the flip side, do you see this as a good thing for UFC?

Amir Khan says he wants to get into MMA. If Mcgregor wins, it could turn the tide for fighters from both sides wanting to cross over for the pay days.

If Mcgregor loses, I think that will be the end of that.

There's at least one youtube channel that appears to be streaming this live. No guarantee the channel will stay live come fight time.

Craftsman
    McGregor in the first 3 rounds, Mayweather will run and run until his old legs give out.
    McGregor will not fight from a boxing stance, he will rough house him I see elbows, shoulders everything going in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    McGregor in the first 3 rounds, Mayweather will run and run until his old legs give out.
    McGregor will not fight from a boxing stance, he will rough house him I see elbows, shoulders everything going in.
    There is a clause in his contract that says if he uses any MMA techniques they can withhold his purse.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    There's at least one youtube channel that appears to be streaming this live. No guarantee the channel will stay live come fight time.
    The vast majority will be shut down at fight time. Same with Facebook streams

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    The vast majority will be shut down at fight time. Same with Facebook streams
    I don't doubt it.

The only person who knows is Mayweather, because he will win it when he chooses to. The gulf in ability is that wide. Anyone who thinks McGregor will win is confusing boxing with a different sport.

Master
    IMO it's is speed v power fight, Mayweather has I think deliberately come in lighter as he knows McGregor will be heavier and the fight is 12 x 3 minutes rounds compared to 5 x 5 minutes rounds what McGregor is used to.

Mayweather will try to punish the body first then the head, McGregor will try to stop/knock him out within 6-8 rounds before eventually gassing out.

My boxing head believes Mayweather will win a 12 round decision - Mayweather is smaller, faster, much more technical in defense and attack but has not stop/knock out anyone since 2011.

My MMA head believes McGregor will win by stoppage/knock out within 6 rounds - McGregor can box, counter strike and is far heavier hitter than most of the fighters that Mayweather has previously faced, one clean heavy lucky or deliberate punch will put Mayweather in a position he has not been in since his amateur days.

Whatever then result both of them will be laughing all the way to the bank but Mayweather and boxing has far more to lose than McGregor and MMA supporters.

Master
    McGregor in round one - and then a rematch.

But seriously, why would Mayweather ruin his record.

If he wins, will this count as a genuine fight and make his count 50-0?

Rob.

Remains to be seen.... Being not too far up the road from him I'm a mcgregor fan, but you can't ignore mayweather's flawless record. If mcgregor cant get lucky early, mayweather will surely strike.

Well.... Im on the sofa, streaming in HD and waiting!

Craftsman
    I've had both a head and heart bet on this... mcgregor in round 1 and Mayweather decision

Of course mayweather is leagues ahead as a boxer so mcgregor can only win with an early (and lucky) knock out but I can't imagine mayweather getting the ko

Quote Originally Posted by Rob (NZ) View Post

If he wins, will this count as a genuine fight and make his count 50-0?

Rob.
    As far as the record books are concerned, yes, which is one of the reasons why I don't want him to win!

I've had a FaceTime from friends in the US and they are having an Irish themed party tonight. It's not just the Irish who are hopeful for a McGregor win it seems!
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 27th August 2017 at 02:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    As far as the record books are concerned, yes, which is one of the reasons why I don't want him to win!

I've had a FaceTime from friends in the US and they are having an Irish themed party tonight. It's not just the Irish who are hopeful for a McGregor win it seems!
    Judging from the amount of boos at the weigh in, the crowd was behind mcgregor (although... The weigh in was free entry.... So the crowd was probably mostly Irish!)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Judging from the amount of boos at the weigh in, the crowd was behind mcgregor (although... The weigh in was free entry.... So the crowd was probably mostly Irish!)
    Haha, very true! It was the same when Frampton fought Santa Cruz. Also, I was at the Quigg fight and it felt like the Odyssey only louder! Best atmosphere I've ever experienced at a sporting event.

Grand Master
    Thought i'd wake up to the result, it's just started, there'll be a lot of tired folk around today!

Round 10 Mayweather.

Best boxer ever beats guy who doesn't box.

Shockeroony.

Could and should have finished him a lot earlier
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I think he wanted to prolong it once he became an easy target

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Floyd's not exactly known for finishing opponents off early, it's one of the things that has given him the record he has today.

Reading the BBC stuff for the fight it was something that i didn't really get mentioned much during the pre fight stuff, but McGregor had to get down to the weight and then by tonight had probably added a stone, whereas Mayweather didn't (as usual) have to worry too much about that, McGregor ran out of steam quickly going by reports.

That fight was a farce!

Master
    It was always going to happen. He did it against Diaz in his first fight. I assumed he'd learned his lesson about boiling down and jumping back up in weight, but it was surprising that he bragged that he'd be putting so much weight back on. That is not a healthy approach!

He had a few nice rounds. But as usual, Floyd figured him out as he tired whilst the 40 year old who hadn't fought in a few years looked fresh as a daisy

Was only going to be one winner in this but fair play to mcregor for lasting so long but I think floyd was just teasing him

Craftsman
    McGregor didn't seem to have any power behind his punches, maybe regretting those 8 oz gloves now. Mayweather wasn't much better he just waited until McGregor tired and then finished him easy. Neither one would last against a decent boxer.

If Mayweather has any pride he surely won't allow that on his record.
    F.T.F.A.

A fitting spectacle.

Master
    A bit of a farce, but at least McGregor made a fight of it in parts.

Mayweather will always divide opinion and never be a fans favourite but I could watch him box all day long.

As expected CM rushing out and gassing within 2 rounds, FM just sits back then takes over and hands this idiot a boxing lesson, yep handed the man a lesson (same man who all we ever hear about is how strong his stand up game is in UFC and the best striker of all time in UFC).

Seriously can't believe anyone thought CM would win this against the best boxer of my generation.
    Now this farce is over perhaps we can look forward to Canelo v GGG and hopefully Lomanchenko v Rigo...

Well done FM (the 40 year old, never boxed for two years, lighter man and undefeated champ)...
    Last edited by Martylaa; 27th August 2017 at 08:30.

I listened on Radio 5. It sounded like McGregor gave a better account of himself than expected, but in the end the classier fighter (and sport) won. I hope there won't be a rematch as I don't want another two months of McGregor's giant chin poking out of my TV.

Master
    A game attempt but schooled in the end.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    As expected CM rushing out and gassing within 2 rounds, FM just sits back then takes over and hands this idiot a boxing lesson, yep handed the man a lesson (same man who all we ever hear about is how strong his stand up game is in UFC and the best striker of all time in UFC).

Seriously can't believe anyone thought CM would win this against the best boxer of my generation.
    Now this farce is over perhaps we can look forward to Canelo v GGG and hopefully Lomanchenko v Rigo...

Well done FM (the 40 year old, never boxed for two years, lighter man and undefeated champ)...
    Tenth round technical knock is nothing to be proud of, nor gush over.

Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    Tenth round technical knock is nothing to be proud of, nor gush over.
    It is when you consider everything building up to this fight, everyone saying FM is too old, out of shape, never boxed in two years, having to wear lighter gloves will play into CM hands, been probably 15 pounds lighter in the ring, hearing about CM outstanding knock out power, CM stamina etc etc, I'd say this was a great result, I.e school the UFC star and then basically make the ref stop it due to been so uncompetitive and stopping the man from seriously getting hurt...

Banned
    It is when you consider everything building up to this fight, everyone saying FM is too old, out of shape, never boxed in two years, having to wear lighter gloves will play into CM hands, been probably 15 pounds lighter in the ring, hearing about CM outstanding knock out power, CM stamina etc etc, I'd say this was a great result, I.e school the UFC star and then basically make the ref stop it due to been so uncompetitive and stopping the man from seriously getting hurt...
    Nah.

If you (and many) agree he 'schooled' CM, you're blinkered. Any pro boxer would have wanted that fight over much sooner than the tenth. Yes, FM is a phenomenal boxer, but CM did better than most of us predicted.

Nah.

If you (and many) agree he 'schooled' CM, you're blinkered. Any pro boxer would have wanted that fight over much sooner than the tenth. Yes, FM is a phenomenal boxer, but CM did better than most of us predicted.
    Seriously...

Banned
    Seriously...
    Score a goal within a minute of the kick off - two if possible and you're safe (ish). Spend 70 minutes goalless and tuck one in at the end and you're more at risk. If you honestly think FM would have expected to be still in the ring for round ten, I'd say you'd be wrong. I'm not debating he won, just he didn't win well.

Probably the greatest defensive boxer ever, multiple weight world champion, beaten all comers and future hall of famers, made Canelo look like a novice even though Canelo was the much bigger guy, never been beaten and finally he looked in great shape imo v a Irish loudmouth covered in tattoos, who has been beaten in his game, quit in a defeat to Diaz as soon as he touched his neck, who basically killed himself to go down to featherweight as he would always be the bigger guy against the littler guys, who has never defended a title and who had dodged his main rivals in UFC...

I'm hoping Mayweather turns McGregors face into something like Sloth outta the Goonies and puts him through the wringer for 12 rounds then knocks him out with 39 secs to go...
    Almost the perfect result for me...

Just watched it on YouTube. There was a lot at stake - Mayweathers record, McGregors reputation, the standing of boxing and MMA and the opportunity to part the public with a load of money again with something similar. All emerged intact. I don't think that's just a happy coincidence.

Score a goal within a minute of the kick off - two if possible and you're safe (ish). Spend 70 minutes goalless and tuck one in at the end and you're more at risk. If you honestly think FM would have expected to be still in the ring for round ten, I'd say you'd be wrong. I'm not debating he won, just he didn't win well.
    He was fighting someone bigger, stronger, younger and has never been known for his knockout power... It was never going to be an early win. I expected a Mayweather win 100%, but you have to be realistic about his ability to finish McGregor, it seemed unlikely. The fact it didn't go the distance says Mayweather won well, after the McGregor played into Mayweather's hands by punching himself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Just watched it on YouTube. There was a lot at stake - Mayweathers record, McGregors reputation, the standing of boxing and MMA and the opportunity to part the public with a load of money again with something similar. All emerged intact. I don't think that's just a happy coincidence.
    I can't disagree with that. McGregor was far from flawless but he did well to stand toe to toe with one of the greatest for ten rounds and Mayweather cements his record. Boxing maintains its status as a science, MMA still gets to look tough, both men are considerably richer. Mission accomplished.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    He was fighting someone bigger, stronger, younger and has never been known for his knockout power... It was never going to be an early win. I expected a Mayweather win 100%, but you have to be realistic about his ability to finish McGregor, it seemed unlikely. The fact it didn't go the distance says Mayweather won well, after the McGregor played into Mayweather's hands by punching himself out.
    I agree, but think of my football analogy - not exactly Chelsea versus Bognor Regis, but the worlds 'best' boxer (for me) should have won earlier. I too expected him to win, but I don't think he deserves some of the tripe posted above.

In the MMA ring, it would have been a much quicker victory for the other man. Now that would make a nice rematch.

Tyson fury said he's trying to get a fight lined up with hulk hogan. Made me chuckle.

Master
    How were the two fighters to each other after the stoppage? Were they gentlemen or was it more of the same pre fight crap?