closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying car from Dealership, should you always haggle?

Buying car from Dealership, should you always haggle?

Ok so i went out with my father to look at a car (little info on my father, he never haggles for anything) anyways had a look at the car in question, test drove it then came to work out a figure for part ex.

They asked him what he had in mind price for his (no idea, so they offered £5100) i said its worth more and they know it, they came back within a minute with £6000, then i asked for money off the other car also, they would not budge so my father left.

They rang almost as we walked through the door offering £1000 off another older car, my father suggested knocking the money off the one he liked and he would come back down and sign.

15 minutes later they called back and actually said they were increasing the price of the car by £1000, my father just laughed and said no thanks.

I know he had set his heart on the car and now i'm wondering if he should go back again and see what they say, or should he just leave it and keep looking.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    I know he had set his heart on the car and now i'm wondering if he should go back again and see what they say, or should he just leave it and keep looking.
    Knowledge is power. Do as much research as you can on prices. Have a look at online dealers like Coast 2 Coast. (Never used them but they've been around a while.) Have a look at second hand prices.

Have a look at this.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car...buying-new-car

(I know I always link from the site but there's a lot of sense written.)

PS Let us know the make and model and I bet someone here will find a cheaper one for you!
    Last edited by David_D; 26th August 2017 at 18:44.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If they let you walk that's about the best you a going to get. Good time to buy a car at the end of the month, sales targets etc. Go try some where else if they let you walk then you know you are asking to much of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    If they let you walk that's about the best you a going to get. Good time to buy a car at the end of the month, sales targets etc. Go try some where else if they let you walk then you know you are asking to much of a deal.
    Yep point taken, just does not sit right paying full price and i said the same to my father.
    Still I've never seen a dealer actually increase the price of a car after viewing it lol...

Master
    I love haggling with car dealers just keep battering them and be prepared to call their bluff and walk away you will know when you have got the best price as they will let you walk away and not get back to you but with them constantly coming back with better offers shows that there is still more to haggle off the price and when you know you have the best deal possible tell them you are happy to buy it but you want a full tank of fuel and a free next service and new official new mats thrown in :)

Master
    Yep point taken, just does not sit right paying full price and i said the same to my father.
    You mean full list? What kind of car? Can't believe there are too many makes/models where you have to pay list.

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I love haggling with car dealers just keep battering them and be prepared to call their bluff and walk away you will know when you have got the best price as they will let you walk away and not get back to you but with them constantly coming back with better offers shows that there is still more to haggle off the price and when you know you have the best deal possible tell them you are happy to buy it but you want a full tank of fuel and a free next service and new official new mats thrown in :)
    I do, i actually enjoy the haggling and the tutting etc etc, thats why my mother insisted i go with my father to get a deal, i'm still surprised they actually expect someone to pay full asking then actually increase the asking by another £1000?

Never seen that before lol, thing is i know my father wants the car and i sort of wish i'd just let him get it with the extra he would of got for the part-ex value now.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    You mean full list? What kind of car? Can't believe there are too many makes/models where you have to pay list.
    The car is 1 year old, Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE, he really liked it...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I tried to haggle when I purchased my One year old Discovery 4, the salesman said if you don't want it, I have three others waiting for it. I half knew he was telling the truth, but you never know.

Don't be a " hands up billy" , they will only have a laugh at your expense, quite literally.

Master
    I always haggle with a car purchase. Last time I bought a new car I did my research and found out which dealers were known for negotiating (this was a vw and my local dealer flatly refused to budge on price) so I drove 45 minutes to the said dealer, walked in, told them the price I was prepared to pay and walked out after giving them my number. They called me the next day to say yes, hefty discount achieved.

Journeyman
    Always best to go early in the day IMO. Tell them you are just looking, and are viewing another in the afternoon for a test drive etc. Surprising how quick they are to cater to you if they think they won't have your custom.

By the sounds of the car you've mentioned, assuming its a 16 reg with less that 20k miles your looking for a ball park figure of about 20 - 22k depending on options. There's some good websites out there that will give you good price estimates for what you should be paying.

To not haggle when purchasing a car is one of those rare occurrences in life that can be completely put down to pure stupidity.

Certain supercars excepted - as with some watches, such vehicles can attract the gullible to pay whatever the seller tells them they're allowed to pay...

...and then say "thank you" for the privilege of being shafted! 😁😂

I always haggle. Bought a new XC60 from our local Volvo dealer for the best price I could find anywhere (Drivethedeal). I printed the Drivethedeal quote and took it along to ask them to match it. They initally said not a chance so I left it with them and said I'm not bothered either way, I'll just order it from Drivethedeal if they won't match it. They grabbed me before I got to the door and said they would try really hard to come close. They wanted me to buy lots of dealer add ons like gap insurance and finish protection but ultimately I walked out without any of that and with the price matched to Drivethedeal.

It's a very interesting strategy to call back with a price increase, I wonder if that ever works for them.

I am an unabashed haggler myself. Nevertheless the chap who came to buy my wife's scooter haggled, left then returned and generally prevaricated to such a degree that I was very tempted to tell him that if he left again or haggled further then the price I would accept would go up £50. Took about two hours to do the deal!

Sounds like you pushed this one as far as it would go and then a little bit further but there are always other cars. I wouldn't give up hope of getting it though but no way could I pay an extra £1000!
    Last edited by ernestrome; 26th August 2017 at 20:50.

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    It's a very interesting strategy to call back with a price increase, I wonder if that ever works for them.

I am an unabashed haggler myself. Nevertheless the chap who came to buy my wife's scooter haggled, left then returned and generally prevaricated to such a degree that I was very tempted to tell him that if he left again or haggled further then the price I would accept would go up £50. Took about two hours to do the deal!

Sounds like you pushed this one as far as it would go and then a little bit further but there are always other cars. I wouldn't give up hope of getting it though but no way could I pay an extra £1000!
    Yep agreed except i don't feel like i pushed anything and my father certainly didn't, they've us an initial price on the part-ex we said no and they came back another £900, yet nothing in the price coming off the car and then putting the price up by a £1000?

Anyways I'm sure the old man will bide his time now, just spoken to him and he's gonna wait until the right car at the right price comes along...

It's either money off the screen price of the new car until you're happy or increased money for your part ex not both

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    It's either money off the screen price of the new car until you're happy or increased money for your part ex not both
    Guess we did push it then?

Sometimes stressing yourself out about achieving the best possible deal takes something away from the experience (or your dads)

On my last car purchase I didnt really push it but still ended up with the car we wanted at a price I was happy with, its sounds like the car was the right one and it unfortunately doesnt belong to your dad because of a few £

Even though this forum appears to be populated with a bunch of Dominic Littlewood clones, these salesman see it every day and all these stories of amazing haggles etc are most likely the staff knowing which ego they have to massage and having a good laugh about it in the back room

Speak to your dad, if the car is what he wants go back and get it, life is too short

Journeyman
    If I were you I would be extremely cheesed off at them taking the Mick and genuinely send a letter of complaint to the MD at the sheer absurdity of increasing the price. Flex your muscles, explain you will be certainly be giving them bad press generally and to your well connected colleagues and say you have never experienced such a poor sales experience. Insist on a response because it is a complaint after all. I bet you get a reply with some perks!! Remember these guys will have done psychological sales training and may have picked up some vibes from your father that told them he really wanted the car. Did they involve your dad in discussions? Although you were there did they establish the car was for your dad? Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Sometimes stressing yourself out about achieving the best possible deal takes something away from the experience (or your dads)

On my last car purchase I didnt really push it but still ended up with the car we wanted at a price I was happy with, its sounds like the car was the right one and it unfortunately doesnt belong to your dad because of a few £

Even though this forum appears to be populated with a bunch of Dominic Littlewood clones, these salesman see it every day and all these stories of amazing haggles etc are most likely the staff knowing which ego they have to massage and having a good laugh about it in the back room

Speak to your dad, if the car is what he wants go back and get it, life is too short
    Already have and he is refusing to deal with someone who actually increases the price of a car afterwards, me personally I'm glad he is and is saying he will bide his time...

Quote Originally Posted by Dejay View Post
    If I were you I would be extremely cheesed off at them taking the Mick and genuinely send a letter of complaint to the MD at the sheer absurdity of increasing the price. Flex your muscles, explain you will be certainly be giving them bad press generally and to your well connected colleagues and say you have never experienced such a poor sales experience. Insist on a response because it is a complaint after all. I bet you get a reply with some perks!! Remember these guys will have done psychological sales training and may have picked up some vibes from your father that told them he really wanted the car. Did they involve your dad in discussions? Although you were there did they establish the car was for your dad? Good luck

Oh yes it was my father who took it out for the test drive, he had been in the day before as well on his own to look at the cars.

At first he would of just signed on the dotted line but afterwards after realising they offered him a poor part ex value and wanted him to use their finance (I had to get the Apr out of them never disclosed it once to my father 9.9% btw), for me personally it was a very poor sales experience and now my father is realising how poor a deal they are offering he is now not going to bother with them and says he'll wait for another model to come up, I'm glad he is...

Apprentice
    I previously never really haggled. But back in November i the had the best dealership sale experience ever. I went in armed with a quote from ‘carwow’ and i was upfront about the price i wanted to pay. The sales guy (young guy similar age to myself) went and checked with his boss. All done - 10% off. We then negotiated a price i was happy with for my px.

This was at a VW dealer on a brand new Golf.

As said above. Knowledge is power. I'm the type who'd rather do his own research, state my price and buy. Sometimes is a wee bit over, sometimes it's a cracking deal.. example, current car Tiguan r-line. £2.5k off window price to make it the absolute cheapest in the country..... then again my brothers in the motor trade with loads of connections and inside knowledge.

Unless it's nigh-on unique, most bread and butter vehicles are just that................plenty around and easy to come by. Even for rarer vehicles, it's usually wrh waiting/looking around (you can learn a lot about the vehicle) or- if a vehicle is needed desperately, buy a banger with a few months MoT to tide you over whilst looking?

Rubbish!

It's the cost to change and can be a combination of both.

If you're happy with the amount of cash you're handing over then the screen price and px value are irrelevant.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I imagine the extra £1000 was a way of telling you both to bugger off and don't come back. Maybe they've got another punter lined up?
    Your father is doing the right thing. Sit back and keep an eye open for one at the price he wants.

On the subject of haggling, I buy and sell used cars occasionally and love nothing better than watching a person in front of me doing their best Mike Brewer impression.
    I had one guy, (who had a rather plumby Home Counties accent), actually say the phrase 'if you drop by a monkey, I'll stick the folding in your paw right now. Come on, hold out your 'and'
    I'm afraid to say, I actually laughed in his face.
    I didn't drop the price by a monkey. He did buy the car from me. Nice bloke actually!

Master
    It is definitely worth shopping around at dealers too. I have found the deals they offer can vary considerably for the same car deal new and if used on comparable cars. If you end up with the best deal at a non local one then they will often deliver anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by gazzafaegreenock View Post
    As said above. Knowledge is power. I'm the type who'd rather do his own research, state my price and buy. Sometimes is a wee bit over, sometimes it's a cracking deal.. example, current car Tiguan r-line. £2.5k off window price to make it the absolute cheapest in the country..... then again my brothers in the motor trade with loads of connections and inside knowledge.
    So in one sentence, you're the guy who does his own research and in the next, your brother's in the trade with loads of connections and knowledge.
    Read that again and tell me it makes sense ?

Apprentice
    So in one sentence, you're the guy who does his own research and in the next, your brother's in the trade with loads of connections and knowledge.
    I thought that. No offence but telling the OP your brother is in the trade doesn’t help one bit haha

Haggle.
    Always.
    No exceptions.
    There will always be another.
    Nearer
    Cheaper
    Better

I will haggle for the sake of it but don't always expect to get a discount. A few years back I bought a Mercedes E350 AMG sport I had spent months looking for the right spec , with memory , Full Command etc. Not as common as the other E350s oddly it came up in Car Giant. One owner. FMBSH - at a very good price around £2k cheaper than anywhere else .
    I tried to get some money off- salesman said they had fixed prices and he knew this was going cheap and could sell it easily. I paid asking and still left happy as the car was good.

Next was my current 911. On Porsche everything is an option so when this one came up in Glasgow. I called up tried to get a deal, got the Road Tax and Delivery thrown in and that was it. Again I was happy as it had all the options I wanted it a great price.

Other cars I have managed to get something off but they weren't priced as keenly as the above two to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    I will haggle for the sake of it but don't always expect to get a discount. A few years back I bought a Mercedes E350 AMG sport I had spent months looking for the right spec , with memory , Full Command etc. Not as common as the other E350s oddly it came up in Car Giant. One owner. FMBSH - at a very good price around £2k cheaper than anywhere else .
    I tried to get some money off- salesman said they had fixed prices and he knew this was going cheap and could sell it easily. I paid asking and still left happy as the car was good.

Next was my current 911. On Porsche everything is an option so when this one came up in Glasgow. I called up tried to get a deal, got the Road Tax and Delivery thrown in and that was it. Again I was happy as it had all the options I wanted it a great price.

Other cars I have managed to get something off but they weren't priced as keenly as the above two to begin with.
    It was a Hyundai Santa Fe 😂

It was a Hyundai Santa Fe
    That doesn't make a difference. It's a year old so probably not far off what I paid for the merc which was 3 years old at the time. Thing I'm saying is do your research , if the price is good don't haggle for the sake of it.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    That doesn't make a difference. It's a year old so probably not far off what I paid for the merc which was 3 years old at the time. Thing I'm saying is do your research , if the price is good don't haggle for the sake of it.
    Yep i agree i normally do my research with cars but tbh it was a last minute call to go with my Dad, he wasn't prepared and neither was i...

Next time lol...

Grand Master
    If you're px ing you can haggle for a better offer on your car, but a dealer won't drop the asking price of what you're buying........ you can't expect the spice AND the ha'penny! If you've othing to trade in you're in a better position to get a price drop, thwt' s always been the case.

It pays to have a good idea of what constitutes a fair price, otherwise you could end up haggling for haggling's sake. You can end up cutting your nose off to spite your face ..........and ending up not getting what you wanted.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If you're px ing you can haggle for a better offer on your car, but a dealer won't drop the asking price of what you're buying........ you can't expect the spice AND the ha'penny!
    Not according to Dave+63, (see above). He rubbished my post at that suggestion, He must think car dealers are complete dickheads perhaps...

Master
    I generally only discuss cost to change.

I have literally no interest in what they give me for my car nor how much discount they offer on the car I'm proposing to buy, but I'll always have done extensive research through Autotrader, etc. to have my view of what both cars are worth... and, therefore, what a good value for money cost to change would be.

Sometimes the dealer wants to manipulate the numbers a little for their benefit, so let them do that as the end result has zero impact on you if the cost to change figure aligns with your expectations.

And yes... I will haggle to get to my desired cost to change figure.

Quote Originally Posted by mattwilko92 View Post
    I thought that. No offence but telling the OP your brother is in the trade doesn’t help one bit haha
    I mearly reiterated that knowledge is power. I research what the faults, niggles etc are in whatever vehicle I'm considering that way I can pick it to pieces. I gain the knowledge of trade prices etc from my brother OP could easily buy parkers or ask for the book price. ... I fail to see what your issue is.

You know, jibes like that are why this forum is a hell of a lot quieter. A car topic, and people still having personal jibes at folk.

Not according to Dave+63, (see above). He rubbished my post at that suggestion, He must think car dealers are complete dickheads perhaps...
    No I don't think car dealers are complete dickheads; they have a margin in the car they're selling and an expected margin in the car they're taking as px.

To make a deal their figures need to stack up. It doesn't matter to them whether it's money off the car they're selling, a better price for the px or a combination of both.

As a buyer too, the only thing that should matter is the price to change i.e. how much cash you're actually handing over. If it's acceptable to both parties then a deal will be struck, if not, it won't.

Thanks for all the pointers guys, normally I'd be researched to the max when I'm buying something but guess the lesson here is never go to a car garage with my dad on a last minute whim.

Still bugs me though about the crappy sales experience and the fact they increased the value of the car afterwards but hey ho, the old man is prepared to wait so next time we'll go fully prepared...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    To make a deal their figures need to stack up. It doesn't matter to them whether it's money off the car they're selling, a better price for the px or a combination of both.
    Actually in used cars especially, it does matter.

Salespeople get paid against profit on the vehicle they are selling (chassis and product). They are not targeted or incentivised against trade profit/loss (disposal of p/ex).

Sales Managers however, are targeted and incentivised against bottom line which takes both retail and trade into account.

Agreed, there is an option to offer an "over-allowance" on part exchanges and smaller businesses may still adjust figures on paper written invoices, to suit themselves. There are too many administrative and FCA regulated hoops to jump through in most large businesses to start messing around with how deals are structured on invoices without making everything completely opaque for the customer.

To the OP, in fairness you approached this at the right time and year of the month!
    Last edited by Paddy!; 28th August 2017 at 12:27. Reason: Original reply written through a hangover.