closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is it like to live on Jersey - anyone live there?

What is it like to live on Jersey - anyone live there?

A possible job has come up in Jersey and I am trying to weigh up the pros and cons of living there.

The job is not in finance and comes with a real/normal wage. With the job comes 'essential employee' status which I believe allows you to rent, buy or sell any property on the island with no restrictions.
    Information I have gleaned from the tinterweb seems quite polarised and much of it is advice aimed at high flying finance types.

I will summarise what I have found so far;

PROs
    - Safe with low crime rate.
    - Beautiful beaches and decent climate (well, a bit more temperate than the UK).
    - Low income tax, max 20% but may be lower due to qualifying for tax breaks with having wife and kids.
    - Good schools.
    - France is a short hop away.
    - Cheapish flights to the UK to visit family.
    - High quality of life. That's of course dpendent on if you can afford it.
    - Good place to bring up young kids. Mine are 4 (twins).

CONS
    - Unbelievably high house prices. Looking at 400 to 500 grand for a simple 3 bed semi.
    - Island fever; the island is only 9 by 4 miles, it must feel claustraphobic after a while.
    - Cost of living. Everything is imported so prices are higher. Recent introduction of 5% GST (like VAT) applies to food.

My gut feeling is that it would be a great experience living on an island and very good for the kids. My main concern is the house prices, i don't think I could stomach paying half my salary on rent/mortgage.
    Does anybody have any experience of living on Jersey? I would love to hear your views.
    Last edited by el marinero; 7th September 2017 at 13:25.

I worked "seasonal" work in the 80s.

Entirely different to what you are planning though!

I worked in hotels mainly, from March/April. until October/November....then in the winters, I went travelling, usually around S.East Asia.

I loved it!

As I say though, that was 30 years ago...I didnt (couldnt!) rent property, and it was great fun..

There is a member or two on here, who live there. They will be able to give you much more pertinent answers and info.

Good luck if you go ahead and do it...............

Master
    I worked there on and off for a while, never lived there, but really didn't have any desire to. For me the single biggest issue would be the atmosphere - it feels like Britain from about 25 years ago, and although things are changing, I found the attitudes of a great majority of the people I encountered were deeply backward. It might well be that it would be exactly the same in the Western Isles off Scotland, and I know the Scillies are similarly inward-looking, but I just couldn't bear the seemingly all-pervasive racist, homophobic and deeply narrow-minded views.

That wasn't helped by the sorts of people I was working with (typically white, male, rich and very conformist types) but it wasn't just them, the whole place seems utterly isolationist. Again, things may have changed, but I think I spotted three black faces, and maybe a couple of Chinese guys. It was seriously the whitest place I've ever been (and I'm including Scandinavia and Iceland!) and that was a bit of a shock.

That said, there are others who love the place. I suppose I've spent a long time in London and I'm used to, and cherish, its diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    I worked there on and off for a while, never lived there, but really didn't have any desire to. For me the single biggest issue would be the atmosphere - it feels like Britain from about 25 years ago, and although things are changing, I found the attitudes of a great majority of the people I encountered were deeply backward. It might well be that it would be exactly the same in the Western Isles off Scotland, and I know the Scillies are similarly inward-looking, but I just couldn't bear the seemingly all-pervasive racist, homophobic and deeply narrow-minded views.

That wasn't helped by the sorts of people I was working with (typically white, male, rich and very conformist types) but it wasn't just them, the whole place seems utterly isolationist. Again, things may have changed, but I think I spotted three black faces, and maybe a couple of Chinese guys. It was seriously the whitest place I've ever been (and I'm including Scandinavia and Iceland!) and that was a bit of a shock.

That said, there are others who love the place. I suppose I've spent a long time in London and I'm used to, and cherish, its diversity.
    Fair comment and something that I have seen mentioned before. Might not be such a great idea to move there with my Mexican wife then?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by el marinero View Post
    Fair comment and something that I have seen mentioned before. Might not be such a great idea to move there with my Mexican wife then?

Not necessarily entirely fair comment - I'm commenting from my experience a decade back, and times change. Plus I was there in a hotel for weeks at a time, intersecting only with a small cross-section of the population.

All that said, your wife would probably be the only Mexican on the island, and might well find that even in 2017 attitudes aren't entirely welcoming.

I just couldn't bear the seemingly all-pervasive racist, homophobic and deeply narrow-minded views.
    Are you sure you didn't spend a year in the Houses of Parliament?

A friend of mine worked as a teacher in Guernsey for a year (even quieter).

She liked it for the time she spent there, but she did say that 'island fever' was an issue for her and she was quite glad to come back to the UK at the end (She's not British).

Funnily enough a colleague of mine said the same about a 3 year contract she had with the Bank Of Bermuda, back in the 1980s - Sounded idyllic, but the novelty soon wore off and she found there wasn't that much to do!

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 6th September 2017 at 17:02.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Are you sure you didn't spend a year in the Houses of Parliament?

A friend of mine worked as a teacher in Guernsey for a year (even quieter).

She liked it for the time she spent there, but she did say that 'island fever' was an issue for her and she was quite glad to come back to the UK at the end (She's not British).

Funnily enough a colleague of mine said the same about a 3 year contract she had with the Bank Of Bermuda, back in the 1980s - Sounded idyllic, but the novelty soon wore off and she found there wasn't that much to do!

M.
    Yes, I can imagine it'd be the same on most small islands - visiting Mull, for example, seemed fantastic, but a guy from there (that I got to know in Edinburgh) said he just couldn't wait to escape. Each to their own though - others would love the isolation.

When I was there with my wife a few years ago I popped into a watch shop to try on an Omega PO and the woman behind the counter looked at my speedy mkII and said, "You have a moonwatch".

'Nuff said....

I've never lived on Jersey but I've spent most of my adult life (I'm now 51) living and working on very small islands (Malta and Isle of Man) so hopefully I can share a few thoughts on island life.

I do work in financial services and have visited Jersey a number of times. My impression is that it is a bit twee and "chocolate box" for my personal taste and compared to my own islands, which both have a bit more of an "honest" quality in terms of the infrastructure having noticeable imperfections, which add charm IMHO, if you get what I mean. Plus the fact that the traffic in Jersey moves so slowly you feel like you are going backwards; but then on one of my islands there are roads with literally no speed limit at all and on the other, while there are rules we don't take too much notice of them.

On island life in general:

"Rock fever" is a real phenomenon. I've been lucky because the cycle of my life and businesses requires me to travel regularly so I typically spend between 1-4 weeks at a time on any particular island, plus I also have a London home so I get a regular taste of proper city life. That suits me perfectly. Frankly I would be climbing the walls if I stayed on any small island for more than a few weeks at a stretch. YMMV as they say, but from many discussions with friends, family, colleagues and business associates over the last 30 years I know I'm not alone. Suffice it to say, if you can get off regularly, I'd take the opportunity to do so.

"Local people", funnily enough, often have an insular outlook which can be charming some of the time and bloody frustrating some of the time. The worst are the people who have always lived there... I left the UK permanently in 1989 to set up in the IoM. For many years I had a Manx wife, I rebuilt a Manx cottage, my daughter was born and grew up there, I have many friends there, I have a business there, a business partner there, employees there... yet to the old school Manx I'm still a "comeover". While in Malta, even though I have family, friends, a business, office, employees and am half Maltese with a Maltese passport and ID card, because I was born abroad and speak with a London accent many people still assume out loud that I am "foreign" and fair game to be ripped off, or ignored. None of this costs me any sleep but it might bother some people.

All that said, sectors like financial services, online gambling and tourism mean that my islands are now far more cosmopolitan in terms of the mix of nationalities present than was the case a generation ago, and I would expect Jersey to be no different in that respect.

"The System/Establishment" is typically quaint. It has plus sides. In the IoM a few years ago, the Treasury Minister, ie equivalent of the Chancellor of the Exchequer, owned a hardware store and could often be seen behind the counter on a Saturday in an Arkwright-style brown overall-coat. Politicians are typically more likely to be businessmen, local professionals or farmers and far less likely to be polyversity-"educated" career politician types who have never done a day's useful work and are barely capable of wiping their own backsides. And if you need to go and talk to them, it is easy to do so. I see this as one of the best things about island life.

My experience of my islands is that generally quality of life is better than in any UK town or city. Streets are safer, children can be allowed to explore with fewer concerns, plus in the 21st century technology makes shopping easier than it was when I first went to the IoM, albeit that you will pay through the nose for shipping and won't get Amazon Prime delivered the next day.

Blog Entries
    - Unbelievably high house prices. Looking at 400 to 500 grand for a simple 3 bed semi.
    Seem like reasonable prices compared to London!

All sounds good to me, as long as you like the quiet life.

Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    There's a reason alcoholism and wife swapping are the major hobbies out there!
    Where do I sign up?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    There's a reason alcoholism and wife swapping are the major hobbies out there! (I'm only half joking.)

Is that you dood!!

Do you think the Daily Mail is a bit left wing?

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you like cars and a bit of a thrash on a Sunday morning then live somewhere else. My sister in law married a Jersey boy and lived there 28 years, they sold up last year and have moved to New Zealand. When ever we have been for a week,and I cannot wait to get home, I go stir crazy

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    If you like cars and a bit of a thrash on a Sunday morning then live somewhere else. My sister in law married a Jersey boy and lived there 28 years, they sold up last year and have moved to New Zealand. When ever we have been for a week,and I cannot wait to get home, I go stir crazy
    When I went to Guernsey (granted it was about 20 years ago) they had a very active motorsport club with different speed events every weekend.

There was a sprint event on the (curved) harbour road whilst I was there. There were certainly some very fast cars competing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    When I went to Guernsey (granted it was about 20 years ago) they had a very active motorsport club with different speed events every weekend.

There was a sprint event on the (curved) harbour road whilst I was there. There were certainly some very fast cars competing.
    My Mother hails from Guernsey and I've still got lot of family there. Couple of cousins still take part in sand racing (motorcycle) on beach at low tide. Haven't been for years but I also remember a hill-climb somewhere.

Craftsman
    I have lived here for 40 years, coming originally from London. I must say, some of the comments do surprise me. It can be an expensive place to live and it is necessary to get off the rock now and again. However, London is only a 40 minute flight away with half a dozen flights a day, St Malo 75 minutes by ferry.
    There are some great beaches, fantastic restaurants and it is a very sociable island.
    As for lack of democracy; where on earth did you hear that? The island has it's own parliament with deputies and senators who are democratically elected. I would suggest that you fly over, hire a car for a few days and have a good look around. If the sun is shining you may well think it is absolutely beautiful. If it's tipping down with rain and blowing a gale then you may never want to see the place again.
    After 40 years, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by coredriller View Post
    As for lack of democracy; where on earth did you hear that? The island has it's own parliament with deputies and senators who are democratically elected.
    Fixed that for you. I didn't phrase it well, 'lack' maybe not being the correct word. Anyway, this isn't the place to bring up politics.
    Glad to hear that you are happy in Jersey after 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    My Mother hails from Guernsey and I've still got lot of family there. Couple of cousins still take part in sand racing (motorcycle) on beach at low tide. Haven't been for years but I also remember a hill-climb somewhere.
    The hillclimb is on the hill going out of St Peter Port.

They close the road for it.

M

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Seem like reasonable prices compared to London!
    Fair point and I'd take a lifetime in Jersey over a year in London!

I get depressed if I go into our office in London for the day!

M

Jersey?

I spent a month there one night.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Jersey?

I spent a month there one night.
    Big lol

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Fair point and I'd take a lifetime in Jersey over a year in London!

I get depressed if I go into our office in London for the day!
    It escapes me why people dislike London so much! ;-)

But let's not get sidetracked: This is about Jersey.

Many places divide opinion

There's much to like about Jersey.

It's clean, crime is very rare, the weather's better than the UK, you're surrounded by clean, clear sea air, there's countryside nearby wherever you are, people are friendly and smile at each other and say hello, it's duty free...

M.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

Yes I understand that but I mean a thrash, twist turns straights, apart from 5 mile road then forget it.

Master
    Blog Entries

It's clean, crime is very rare, the weather's better than the UK, you're surrounded by clean, clear sea air, there's countryside nearby wherever you are, people are friendly and smile at each other and say hello, it's duty free...

M.
    And bloody expensive

M.
    If London and Jersey are being compared then one might be forgiven for inferring an implied message that people in London are less likely to be friendly, smile at each other or say hello. It is certainly something that is sometimes suggested by people in other parts of the country, and is in my opinion a misconception based on having visited the City and West End. Any time spent in many parts of the expanse of Greater London where real people actually live would demonstrate that many Londoners are indeed friendly, etc.

Conversely I've met a few island dwellers who are anything but friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    If London and Jersey are being compared then one might be forgiven for inferring an implied message that people in London are less likely to be friendly, smile at each other or say hello. It is certainly something that is sometimes suggested by people in other parts of the country, and is in my opinion a misconception based on having visited the City and West End. Any time spent in many parts of the expanse of Greater London where real people actually live would demonstrate that many Londoners are indeed friendly, etc.
    Was I comparing?

I must admit I spend too much time for my liking in London. Mostly in central London.

I would generally say, living just outside the M25, that people in and around London aren't the most friendly or approachable.

I'm sure they're just as pleasant as anyone else if you get to know them, but (in the main) people don't say hello as they pass each other or smile at each other, or generally show much sign of even seeing each other, even when they bump into each other.

Anyway, as was said, this is a digression and doesn't mean the OP would enjoy living in Jersey.

I suspect I'd prefer it to any inland city (London's not the subject) as it provides easy access to the sea, but not everyone likes that and there have been plenty of cons presented, too.

M.

Craftsman

Sounds like paradise, our mainland country lost to freaks and deviants.

My son has the misfortune to have to live in London, the lack of English people is both frightening and disturbing. It makes London the U-bend of Britain.

Craftsman

Because London is a dirty sh1t-hole of a place full of rude and dog eat dog types.
    Does anybody choose to live in London for any reason other than employment ?
    Very few I think, that need to hide in the anonymity of a large population for reasons that are not accepted or tolerated in civilised conservative towns and villages.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    Because London is a dirty sh1t-hole of a place full of rude and dog eat dog types.
    Woof, woof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    PROs
    - Safe with low crime rate.
    I think you'll find it shot up after "Jersey Jim" Bergerac finally hung up his hand cuffs in 1991.

Seriously though I'd love to have a holiday there having grown up watching the tv series , looked a beautiful place.

Cheers
    Neil

Very few I think, that need to hide in the anonymity of a large population for reasons that are not accepted or tolerated in civilised conservative towns and villages.
    Nothing quite like a crass generalisation, is there?

Blog Entries
    I have to say that I like visiting specific venues in London but I am always delighted to get the hell out and head 'uuup north' back home to the Midlands at the end of the day. I would rather have my mouth stuffed with dead rats than live and/or work in London.
    Last edited by KavKav; 7th September 2017 at 20:00.

Blog Entries
    I lived there for four months and liked it (20 odd years ago)... a nice atmosphere and plenty to keep you interested

Visited for a weekend for the first time this year and found it a very relaxing place to be.

I was itching to get off the island at the end of it, but, it's not as if you are entirely isolated... I imagine it'd be a rather nice to be with your family

I was dating a very pretty Portuguese girl from Madeira whilst there, which made the time pass a little easier!

If it's anything like Guernsey, then the chest clinic will be overrun! Never seen so many people with a fag in their mouth, and ends all over the floor. Its like the 70s ( duty free) And dog mess, lots of that too.

Master
    I love London and despair of your attitude. And I loathe conservative towns.

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 15th September 2017 at 04:11.

Surely you see the irony in your post. Maybe London is a friendlier place to live than your home town if there is more of your ilk there.

Master
    A hotbed of crime during the years 1981 to 1991 as I recall. I'm thinking of Bergerac when I make that statement. Charlie Hungerford in particular was always up to no good. Hopefully things have settled down since then.

I went to Guernsey once, other than a Tomato museum it was closed.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    I would rather have my mouth stuffed with dead rats than live and/or work in London.
    That's putting it a bit strongly, but I agree with the sentiment; living/working in London would be my idea of hell. OK for a visit but that's enough for me. The place is full of foreigners, it's overcrowded, property prices are a joke......... unless you'e earning lots of money I can't see an upside.

Having visited Jersey a few times I'd be happy to live there, it's quiet and civilised.......that'll do for me.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    That's putting it a bit strongly, but I agree with the sentiment; living/working in London would be my idea of hell. OK for a visit but that's enough for me. The place is full of foreigners, it's overcrowded, property prices are a joke......... unless you'e earning lots of money I can't see an upside.

Having visited Jersey a few times I'd be happy to live there, it's quiet and civilised.......that'll do for me.

Paul
    London has very expensive property.

Master

Strange comment, what were you expecting!!??!!

I was in Italy the last week and it was packed with Italians...

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post

Your comment is the strange one.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I've never been, but did live on the IOM in the late 1980s. The key may be 'how long?' - is it an assignment for a fixed period of time or a one-way ticket?

Most places are bearable for 2-3 years, but if there's no 'return ticket' it needs more thought.

FWIW I loved the IOM and doubt it's much different than the CI, but this was 30 years ago!!

Another thought is the 'phase' in your life - two young people may view it differently than a couple with kids or another 50+ couple whow children have left home?

92% of them natives 8% non natives. That's not including the tourists.

But oddly for Jersey:
    "Jersey 46.4%, British 32.7%, Portuguese/Madeiran 8.2%, Polish 3.3%, Irish, French, and other white 7.1%, other 2.4% (2011 est.)"

Imagine being the only Goth on Jersey
    Like a lot of islands it's provincial in attitude and outlook, any notion of being cosmopolitan is just tied to money and gauche flaunting of wealth rather than anything new.

Blog Entries
    Everyone has their own likes on places to live. For me large cities like London would be the last place I'd want to live. But some people like the buzz of places like that.
    They would probably be bored living where I do.

That's OK Paul, horses for courses. To be honest, as a Londoner, I wish that there were more attractive places to live and work around the UK. Most of the my kids' friends from Uni either have moved or want to move to London and it just puts more pressure on transport, housing and jobs. There are a lot of foreigners here, 250,000 French people for instance apparently, but then again we seem to like visiting them in France so maybe we should just relish the diversity on our doorstep as many Londoners do.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Everyone has their own likes on places to live. For me large cities like London would be the last place I'd want to live. But some people like the buzz of places like that.
    They would probably be bored living where I do.
    London isn't a "large city". It's two very small cities surrounded by numerous towns and villages. You obviously are one of the people mentioned in my earlier post who think "London" is the City and West End.