closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speed master mark II Buying advice

Craftsman

Speed master mark II Buying advice

So.....I'm about to pull the trigger on a spect mark II, but just wanted to check that everything looks ok with it before I do.

Here it is. What do you think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    You probably want to ask for pictures of the movement, caseback and inside of the bracelet clasp as well.

Two things (aside from more photos and evidence of Omega service history, not 'it was serviced by our ex-Rolex watch repairer and thus comes with our one-year warranty'): the watch looks like it's been polished, and if you didn't know, the tachy scale is printed on the inside of the crystal.

If you can get it for a good price and the case finish is correct and you don't mind the wabi I'd factor in the cost of a service with Simon Freese, and have him replace the crystal if that's what you want. If it needs lapping (and I don't think Simon can do that, but might be wrong!), it could well do with a visit to either Rocco in Bristol or STS, and you can decide if you want the dial and hands replaced or left as they are.
    "A man of little significance"

Holy moly, I just found the watch ad online. "AS GOOD AS NEW". Green ticks next to "Case refurbished", "Mechanism recalibrated" and "Quality guaranteed".

So it's not "AS GOOD AS NEW", the case looks like it was polished before spending some time sorting gravel in a cement mixer and if the mechanism has been recalibrated it's unlikely it's been serviced, so the one-year warranty is in the hope the watch lasts that long. £1,500. It's kind of nice, and for £2k you would probably have a really nice, freshly serviced, freshly lapped, new crystal Mk2. If that's what you want, knock £200 off if you can and send it to one of the people I mentioned before.

Too bashed about for my liking.

Very faded hands too.

Look for a better one.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Holy moly, I just found the watch ad online. "AS GOOD AS NEW". Green ticks next to "Case refurbished", "Mechanism recalibrated" and "Quality guaranteed".

So it's not "AS GOOD AS NEW", the case looks like it was polished before spending some time sorting gravel in a cement mixer and if the mechanism has been recalibrated it's unlikely it's been serviced, so the one-year warranty is in the hope the watch lasts that long. £1,500. It's kind of nice, and for £2k you would probably have a really nice, freshly serviced, freshly lapped, new crystal Mk2. If that's what you want, knock £200 off if you can and send it to one of the people I mentioned before.
    I thought that same thing, but they've told me that it'll be serviced and polished befire it's sent out.

The photos have apparently been taken before anything has been done it it. I would have thought that they would have made it mint before listing it, but maybe tgats just me.

For £1500 It's the cheapest one I've seen for a while.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You get what you pay for, I guess.

But remember, these cases can take only so many refinishings. Case in point, look at side of the case by the bracelet in the 'before' picture of my old one.

And after it came back from a service at Omega.

Now, this is an exaggerated case, since Omega messed things up and actually ended up polishing the case three times. Nevertheless, you'd want to see the quality of the finish on the one you're considering, and how much metal was removed in refinishing.

Despite the price, I'd steer clear and pay more for a better example.

Lovely, lovely watches though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    +1, given the polishing it would have needed.

I would say that the case is rough but still has its original profiles, so easily brought back with a quality re-lap(£4-500 with service) if thats the look you want. I think it is too rough to live with as is. I would make sure they do not 'polish' it for you. Amateur polishing by hand is what wrecks these watches. The bracelet looks very stretched so that is another factor that could cost you £4-500. I like the dial and hands, but the rest is very average.

That Omega re-lap is nuts. I don't think I would be happy with that. Rocco and STS can micro weld any large dings to avoid removing too much material from the case.

Blog Entries
    I'd ask to see it after the repolish and service. Then you can see what you're buying. Why look at pictures of a tatty looking watch?

Banned
    This is the good side of this forum when established member give good informative advice to newbies

nice watches, funny sometimes if this had been a rolex would we not be saying " keep it as it is and don't touch dial and hands,dont replace this and that "? To my untrained eye it all looks original except over polished case ??

1200 and wear it

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    To my untrained eye it all looks original except over polished case ??
    Trouble is, it isn't over polished, it's polished to buggery as well as having had six bells knocked out of it, by the looks of things.

A MkII with a proper sunburst finish is a splendid sight. The watch looses so much when it's been polished away; it's integral to the design of the case and without it the case looks lumpen and lifeless.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the good advice. I've asked if there's a reduction in the price if it's not serviced and refinished. They have told me NO.

I've also asked about the servicing and refinish to see if they actually have the right tools to do the job properly. I'm waiting for an answer on that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    A lot of MK2's are battered and to get an 1171 bracelet that isn't stretched is next to impossible. They are all jangly.
    The price of £1500 is the lowest I've seen for a Racing Dial in quite a while so this probably reflects the over polishing. Try and see if you can get it lower in price as STS will charge you around £400 for lapping.
    I would have a picture of the inside clasp as well just to make sure it shows 1171 etc.

I'd say a real mint one from a dealer could be hitting 2.5k. I'd probably buy it myself as I'm fairly confident about what STS can do. But it's your cash !

Original / Polished

This has been a really helpful post for me.

I got the below MKii from a WTB had a really good transaction and got the watch head only for a very fair price, i am now wondering if the watch is all original also if it has been polished view of the more knowledgeable then myself would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    You get what you pay for, I guess.

But remember, these cases can take only so many refinishings. Case in point, look at side of the case by the bracelet in the 'before' picture of my old one.

And after it came back from a service at Omega.

Now, this is an exaggerated case, since Omega messed things up and actually ended up polishing the case three times. Nevertheless, you'd want to see the quality of the finish on the one you're considering, and how much metal was removed in refinishing.

Lovely, lovely watches though.

Rob - your watch has been brushed. Not desperately badly but it's been done. The edges should be completely sharp and on that watch I think the thin surface between top and sides should be polished.

I'm all for keeping watches original if they haven't been polished and have wear - even if it's really bad wear. Once someone's brushed or polished a case incorrectly (i.e. not using a lapping machine) I will send it off for service and lapping, I really don't like something neither original nor correct. I have a Heuer currently in Belgium awaiting service and case refinish from Abel Court, who has a lapping machine and makes watches look immaculate.

Incidentally the dial and hands are superb! I had one like that and sold it a few years ago, still regret that.

The chronograph central seconds hand is slightly off the mark and the hour register hand isn't reset correctly - it may have chronograph hour hand 'creep' where the hand moves when the chrono isn't running. The movement may not have been serviced for some time.

The case looks well used having lost the brushed finish and a few dings. Whether someone deliberately polished it or whether it happened through use is hard to say from the pictures. You'd have to inspect it to see how much metal there is should you want to get it lapped at a later date.

Dial and hands look tired.

I think it's probably a money pit. Only buy it if you intend to wear it 'as is' and knock about in it. Pity you can't see the movement.

PS It usually puts me off when the seller can't be bothered to clean the watch, presents it with black gunk yet claims it's full working order.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AKM; 12th September 2017 at 10:21.