closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 8 yay or nay?

Master
    I’ve had most versions of the iPhone but won’t be going for the X. Don’t really see what all the fuss is about. The only real innovation seems to be the 3D face recognition and that faailed miserably at the keynote. Just way too expensive for what it is.

I wonder just how much the X costs to make?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    I’ve had most versions of the iPhone but won’t be going for the X. Don’t really see what all the fuss is about. The only real innovation seems to be the 3D face recognition and that faailed miserably at the keynote. Just way too expensive for what it is.
    The Face iD is a bit of an oddity. Rumour was that they wanted to integrate the fingerprint sensor into the new screen, but couldn't. If they could've, then you wonder whether they'd have bothered with Face iD, as the Touch iD is pretty slick.

Same with the removal of the home button. Are they trying to reinvent the wheel? It may make switching between the phone and ipads less intuitive.

I can't help thinking that they've potential tried to fix something that wasn't really broken, and maybe even made it a bit clunky. No doubt it will work though, and it theoretically increases the usable screen area.

My main bugbear is the 64GB storage. OK, it's enough for most purposes, and I'm sure I will get by with the smaller model, but I've got about 50GB of music on my 7, and when they're charging £1k for a phone, it reeks of contempt for your customers. (Some say Apple have shown contempt for their customers for years, but I generally disagree with that. They're possibly straying into that territory though).

I have never played a game on my phone yet last night all they seemed to say was how good it was at playing games, although I would like a better camera than is in my 6s

I'm definitely going for the 8 Plus, having waited about a year with a slightly degraded battery for it's release; luckily, 64GB is already more than I'll ever need so at least I can go for the cheaper option.

Aside from the general performance enhancements, the dual camera will be a godsend for me, as I use my phone for street photography pretty much every day.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 13th September 2017 at 08:14.

Blog Entries
    Bought the SE earlier this year when my 5s had a problem. Always impressed by the Iphones performance though. Might be tempted by an 8 or x but not keen on going larger sizewise.

Craftsman
    Seems like they have discontinued the 7+ 256GB version..

Craftsman
    i will keep my 6 until it dies then buy another sim free as the contracts are silly per month ....its a telephone at the end of the the day not a mobile PC or tabling thinggy

It'll no doubt become the ''chav'' phone of choice, the council estates and job centres will be full of them, as I said earlier I migrated to Android some time ago and so it wont affect me, Apple products need to be expensive simply to pay for nice stores and polite staff, they've got you by the short and curlies.

Just my 10p worth.

Master
    They are definitely getting a bit too expensive now. My wife and I normally change every two years and give the old ones to the kids so it is relatively cost effective but even so it's a lot of cash. Thankfully this year is not the upgrade year anyway. The memory configs on release also seemed designed to lead you to pay more. Same issue with the iPads. With the iPhone 7 I had to get a 128GB model as there was no 64GB and 32GB was just too small. Now there is no 128GB version. Though I dare say I would be ok with 64GB again provided the OS and app sizes are not taking ever more. Thankfully Apples support has a long tail so models have a long life span.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    It'll no doubt become the ''chav'' phone of choice, the council estates and job centres will be full of them, as I said earlier I migrated to Android some time ago and so it wont affect me, Apple products need to be expensive simply to pay for nice stores and polite staff, they've got you by the short and curlies.

Just my 10p worth.
    You seem to be echoing a lot, how much does a Galaxy or Note cost to make? What about the Pixel?

When buying a phone on contract, why not go for the most expensive? You'll never see the RRP after all.

As you said, you won't be affected but posted at least 3 times in this thread. Why?

I'll stick with my 6s for another year, then see what is available next time. The last 2 iPhones lasted 3 years and expect this one to be the same. That is one area where Apple out-shines Android, I beleive.

Master
    So glad I bought a Galaxy S8+. Apple are taking the pee with this now.

I'm normally a year or two behind releases so it doesn't bother me to not have the latest phone ... I do like apple products though but not in an obsessive way.

Got a 7 at the moment on sim only which I am more than happy with for at least another 12 months ... no NAY :)

I'm currently running a 7+ which has been a great phone. Upgrading to an 8+ just isn't worth it for the only new feature that appeals, wireless charging.

Upgrading to the X is of no interest until the face recognition has been proven to be robust and secure independently. I took same strategy with touch ID and they did indeed have initial issues. I'm sure you could disable it and just use passcode by that seems a retrograde step.

Journeyman
    I have a MacBook and multiple iPads, but I think Apple are taking the biscuit with their phones. The technology in them is years behind Samsung and others, yet their pricing is near on double.

My S6 had wireless charging, the S7 was waterproof and the S8 has facial, vocal and touch unlock with no home button and an edge to edge screen.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    You seem to be echoing a lot, how much does a Galaxy or Note cost to make? What about the Pixel?

When buying a phone on contract, why not go for the most expensive? You'll never see the RRP after all.

As you said, you won't be affected but posted at least 3 times in this thread. Why?

I'll stick with my 6s for another year, then see what is available next time. The last 2 iPhones lasted 3 years and expect this one to be the same. That is one area where Apple out-shines Android, I beleive.
    Sorry chum, thought it was an open forum, as for durability my current Android is also 3+ years old with no problems, as to Apple vs Android os surely that's personal preference?

Master
    It is frustrating that they charge the £ & $ on a par in their pricing too.

The phones (8) look nice I think, but nothing exciting really ..... QI charging is not exactly new. I have a 7+ which I like and find it reliable/.quick etc. I don't see the 8+ as a worthwhile upgrade for the price.

The X does seem like a good step up, but I think the prices though are just crazy now for the X, and that would put me off.

So I am a little disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thank (whatever) God that there are companies like Huawei and OnePlus around...

£1149 for a phone is obscene

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    A Samsung S8 can be had for under £600 and apart from the dual camera, you really have to be so committed to the Apple ecosystem. And even then I don't buy that argument with the convergence of how iOS and Android works and the transferability.

If you need an Apple phone, get a 7 - it'll be fine for at least the next 2 years and prices are ok enough for one.
    The S8 is great and I am constantly surprised at how great the camera is, it will be some job for the 8 to surpass it. Then there is the amazing HD screen Can see no tangible benefit to the new iPhones that would matter to 99% of users. It really is the law of diminshing returns as phones are now a mature product.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    The S8 is great and I am constantly surprised at how great the camera is, it will be some job for the 8 to surpass it. Then there is the amazing HD screen Can see no tangible benefit to the new iPhones that would matter to 99% of users. It really is the law of diminshing returns as phones are now a mature product.
    Residuals.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Residuals.
    Just buy second hand then I picked up a brand new unlocked s8 for £400.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Thank (whatever) God that there are companies like Huawei and OnePlus around...

£1149 for a phone is obscene
    I couldn't agree more, the price is just a total ripoff you can get so many fantastic Android phones for a fraction of that, my own phone is a Lenovo P2 which is easily one of the best phones I have owned all for £200!

A massive nay from me.

After 3 years away I went back to iphones at 6s. Upgraded to a 7 last year but there's nothing in the 8 worthwhile. I'm not fussed about wireless charging and the animojis - really??

the Iphone X is no leap forward either IMO, not really anything there that isn't in premium android phones. The price is ludicrous to be honest. FaceID is concerning for me to be honest, I like touchID but facial recognition, nah.

As for the 'Town Squares'. Dear god...

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I couldn't agree more, the price is just a total ripoff you can get so many fantastic Android phones for a fraction of that, my own phone is a Lenovo P2 which is easily one of the best phones I have owned all for £200!

The only phone I plan to upgrade to is the P3!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    The only phone I plan to upgrade to is the P3!
    I didn't know one was coming out it would be great if it was the same price and had an even bigger battery:)

The P2 is just a superb phone isn't it
    Last edited by andy armitage; 13th September 2017 at 12:44.

Big no from me. I've never committed wholly to the Apple ecosystem but I have owned plenty of their products (iPads, iPods, Macbook Air) and I'm still yet to work out exactly why you'd be spending this much on any phone. My Galaxy S6 was £340 6 months after launch and absolutely does everything I'd ever need it to do and suddenly in the past year or so flagships are now nearly £700? I'm sure as usual Apple have crammed loads of technological increments into it, but really for making calls, browsing the web, answering emails and taking photos I'm unconvinced you need to spend any more than £200 these days. On the flip side, the last two of my phones have made it through a 3 year cycle before upgrading, so I suppose we're starting to see less built-in obsolescence these days which is a good thing but certainly not a justification to add a third more cost on to your device at the point of sale!

Master
    Like the look of the iPhone X but not at that price!

Cannot see the point of face id over touch as currently my iPhone SE is unlocked as I pull it out of my pocket.

Apart from that we are only seeing incremental improvements each time a new phone is released.

It it would be nice if we could have, say 64, 128 and 256gb in each version, or at least the option to increase storage by bought software as and when required.

I do hope Apple maintain an SE size phone at a similar price going forwards as this is ideal for my needs without being too expensive.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 13th September 2017 at 13:13.

Master
    Been with Apple for a while, typically swapping every 2 years & the deterioration of my 6S seems significantly faster than previous incarnations.

Last time around I was concerned about the pain to get out of itunes etc... but whatsapp, Spotify & Netflix have resolved that, so I'll me moving away in the not to distant future.

Master
    Face Id also seems like a bit of a step back for the touted convenience of contact less payment. Now you have to press the side button, look at the phone, and then hold to the reader.

As an aside, I wonder if it would work if someone just hold the owner photo to it ;)
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    As an aside, I wonder if it would work if someone just hold the owner photo to it ;)
    It requires a degree of interaction/movement so that you can't unlock it while the owner is sleeping etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    Been with Apple for a while, typically swapping every 2 years & the deterioration of my 6S seems significantly faster than previous incarnations.

Last time around I was concerned about the pain to get out of itunes etc... but whatsapp, Spotify & Netflix have resolved that, so I'll me moving away in the not to distant future.
    In terms of battery life? Maybe http://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-...ttery-replaced Otherwise an Apple battery replacement is £79. Which probably is a "cheap" fix if you are happy with the phone to make it last longer.

Master
    its a lot of money - id like an upgrade from my 6 plus but think a 6S plus will be enough for me

Journeyman
    Left apple when the 5 was announced but been watching to see if anything grabs me to go back. There seems to be very little of any substance between the 8 and the X to justify the price hike. I feel that the iphone is not the one to beat as it was many years ago, the android apps are still a little behind in my opinion however the flexibility of what you can do with the phone out weighs that.

Also not sure about the face id, I read that in the US at least you can refuse to give your fingerprint and claim the 5th Amendment, however the face id means that the authorities can just hold your phone up to your face and it will unlock. There are also other scenarios where you could be asleep and somebody can unlock your phone, so not sure how it will work in practice. Although could be the same with the Galaxy I suppose, and the face recognition that has.

Luckily I picked up an SE for the wife in Sunday, looks like we managed to save £50 as was in two minds to see if there was going to be a discount, glad I didn't wait :)

My thoughts (specifically on the X model) posted on Facebook after a friend asked what people thought:

Facial recognition replacing the fingerprint scanner is less convenient. It now means that the phone must be facing you and involves the use of the whole hand as opposed to a single finger to unlock. This feature didn’t work during the keynote!

In addition, this now means that my iPad and iPhone have different methods of verifying my identity. Will the app developers (particularly banks) add facial recognition rapidly? I’m sure they will eventually.

All the gaming, animated emojis and augmented reality stuff leave me cold; I don’t play games on my iPhone, iPad or computer. Given the price point and the target market, they should have demonstrated capabilities that have a practical purpose rather than concentrating on gaming etc. Perhaps it’s an age thing as my niece and nephew would play on their iPhones all day if they were permitted to.

Wireless charging I can see utility in for very heavy business users and for public charging but in the home I see it as less convenient. Currently my desk and bedside table have cables that are held out of sight until I need them. With wireless charging I need a pad that takes up space, isn’t included with the phone and won’t even be available at launch.
    Last edited by Skier; 13th September 2017 at 14:31.

Master
    Just noticed the Ipad Pros have also taken a sneaky price increase. The 10.5" 256GB from £729 to £769 I think. The Ipad seems to be the same price from what I recall

Apple's biggest problem seems to be their products name, the iPhone. It opens up a whole load of comments from people saying 'How much for a phone!'.

The phone bit is one function of a multi-function device, and judging by how much we all use our devices the phone part is one of it's least used features, I've used the caluculator more today. Interestingly Apple are promoting their latest iPhone based it's camera ability, iPhone's being the most widely used camera in the world.

Perhaps they should rename the device the iCamera instead, then we can have comments saying 'How much for a camera!' for a bit of vareity. It all seems rather short-sighted from a collective that consider a some steel watches a bargain at around £5,000.

As for whether I'll get a new phone or not? Not for the time being – I'm happy with my iPhone 6, which has been used daily (alot) for a over 3 years and based on useage probably the best value piece of tech I've owned.
    Last edited by chrisparker; 13th September 2017 at 14:15.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesnw View Post
    It is frustrating that they charge the £ & $ on a par in their pricing too.

The phones (8) look nice I think, but nothing exciting really ..... QI charging is not exactly new. I have a 7+ which I like and find it reliable/.quick etc. I don't see the 8+ as a worthwhile upgrade for the price.

The X does seem like a good step up, but I think the prices though are just crazy now for the X, and that would put me off.

So I am a little disappointed.
    The US price in dollars doesn't include any sales tax, the UK price in pounds does, therefore they are about the same price.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    The US price in dollars doesn't include any sales tax, the UK price in pounds does, therefore they are about the same price.
    Not quite. The iPhone 8 is $699 before sales tax, which equates to £527. Add 20% VAT to that and the UK price should be £632.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Like the look of the iPhone X but not at that price!

Cannot see the point of face id over touch as currently my iPhone SE is unlocked as I pull it out of my pocket.

Apart from that we are only seeing incremental improvements each time a new phone is released.

It it would be nice if we could have, say 64, 128 and 256gb in each version, or at least the option to increase storage by bought software as and when required.

I do hope Apple maintain an SE size phone at a similar price going forwards as this is ideal for my needs without being too expensive.
    TBH the price wouldn't put me off, if it is truly better but it's just too big for my needs really. I think sizewise my SE is about as big as I want it to get. If they bring one out that size I might be interested but I don't think they have. The Apple Watch with standalone call and text is an interesting one, easier to carry than a phone for certain situations.

Master
    one of our students loves his iPhone because even though he is blind, it is good at reading instructions to him...

Wonder how he'd setup face ID?! I don't mean unlock, I mean follow the video instructions to set it up.

The phone is water resistant, so I assume Face ID works OK in the rain?

Also, the keynote example of face ID for Apple Pay was rubbish - far slower than what it is now.

But, the whole thing is just really boring to me. Nothing they announced felt necessary. What I wanted was an upgraded SE. Oh well.

All the indications are that wireless distance charging will be coming in a year, i.e. A charger is plugged in to a wall socket and it charges the phone within a fifteen feet radius, even if it's in your pocket.

So I'll wait for that.

That would get me handing over a grand, but the iPhone X won't.
    So clever my foot fell off.

That’s me done with iPhones.

FYI - Samsung are doing a “trade in your iPhone” deal at the moment. You can get the S8 for £533 by trading in any iPhone 4 or above. I just traded in an old iPhone 4 I had lying around, complete with smashed screen. Better still it’s also an interest free deal (although you can pay it off at once if you wish).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    All the indications are that wireless distance charging will be coming in a year, i.e. A charger is plugged in to a wall socket and it charges the phone within a fifteen feet radius, even if it's in your pocket.

So I'll wait for that.

That would get me handing over a grand, but the iPhone X won't.
    Surely such an accomplishment would largely be down to the wall socket technology, not the phone. Such that any phone with wireless charging would be able to benefit from it.

Though I personally doubt we will see that any time soon. Companies buy up companies and file patents left right and centre with nothing ever coming of it.

Blog Entries
    Running a 7+

Can't see whey I'd shift?

There hasn't been a significant shift in the iPhone since the 6 and 6+ came in IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by StackH View Post
    Not quite. The iPhone 8 is $699 before sales tax, which equates to £527. Add 20% VAT to that and the UK price should be £632.
    But nobody works on spot currency rates.

If the pound was to depreciate to £1=$1.2 (it was around that 6+ months ago), then the UK price would be £583, or £699 including the vodka and tonic.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    That’s me done with iPhones.

FYI - Samsung are doing a “trade in your iPhone” deal at the moment. You can get the S8 for £533 by trading in any iPhone 4 or above. I just traded in an old iPhone 4 I had lying around, complete with smashed screen. Better still it’s also an interest free deal (although you can pay it off at once if you wish).
    Or if you want to stay with iOS (like my missus) then consider an SE for £299 with 2 year guarantee (John Lewis).

Not a big fan of large screens phones (I have an iPad for that), and whereas the SE has a old chassis it does have an A9 chip and is up there with the power of the 6S.

Oh, and almost 40% less than the S8 you quote. Some folk will never transition to Android.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Or if you want to stay with iOS (like my missus) then consider an SE for £299 with 2 year guarantee (John Lewis).

Not a big fan of large screens phones (I have an iPad for that), and whereas the SE has a old chassis it does have an A9 chip and is up there with the power of the 6S.

Oh, and almost 40% less than the S8 you quote. Some folk will never transition to Android.
    Very good shout. The 5S and its descendent the SE are IMHO the best phones Apple have produced. My dream phone would have the 5S form factor with a bezel-less 4.7 inch screen.

Master
    On the basis of what I have seen, I will be replacing my 2+yrs old iPhone 6 later in the year with an iPhone 8.
    I can't see how the iPhone X unlock will work with Face ID in the real world.

Pete