closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Down vs Synthetic Jacket Recommendations

Craftsman

Down vs Synthetic Jacket Recommendations

I'm looking for something lightweight but windproof and warm for standing around outside on cold winter days for photography. I know all about layering and that our wet climate isn't that favourable to down but thought I'd tap into the collective wisdom on here for some views

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

http://phdesigns.co.uk

Doesn't get much better than that
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I fully recommend Arc'teryx, it is more expensive but does last longer and is better made than the likes of North Face. If you're standing still a lot then go warmer than you think! I recall they made one called Firebee that was a beast! They also do slightly thinner ones, have a look on their website and also SportPursuit which frequently has 50% discounts albeit always Medium as this is sample size for Arc'teryx. Oh and most models come in black which is handy as many belay jackets are bright colours and not so wearable for everyday use

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

as -25C is not unusual here, I have Millet Expert down jacket.

http://www.millet-mountain.com/commu...pert-down.html

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    I fully recommend Arc'teryx, it is more expensive but does last longer and is better made than the likes of North Face. If you're standing still a lot then go warmer than you think! I recall they made one called Firebee that was a beast! They also do slightly thinner ones, have a look on their website and also SportPursuit which frequently has 50% discounts albeit always Medium as this is sample size for Arc'teryx. Oh and most models come in black which is handy as many belay jackets are bright colours and not so wearable for everyday use

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    There is one on Sportpursuit now in fact. There also seemed to be various sizes of a lot of items so might be good if you are not a size medium! In terms of down vs synthetic, key things are how packable you want your jacket to be and how much of an issue weight is. This has to be traded off against waterproofness and cost as down jackets are usually more expensive and less waterproof. There are various hydrophobic down products on the market which may be better in terms of waterproofing.

Sportspursuit have the Arcteryx thorium sv down jacket really cheap at the minute
    Also it's Columbia I think who do a down jacket that's totally waterproof as well

Alpkit down
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I own around 10 different Arc'teryx garments and would highly recommend there gear. Consider a merino wool Base layer then build your layers from there.
    My advice would be to try a Synthetic loft as it's easier to maintain.

Apprentice
    I always bought Synthetic and felt that this was ok. But last year my wife picked up a Musto down filled jacket for me at the Swindon Outlet. It was under £50 - so a bargain.

I absolutly love this jacket - it keeps me warm when its cold, but the best part is that if it is warm outside it doesnt make you too warm. This is expecially useful in the autumn when its cold in the morning and warm in the afternoon.

I am a convert!

Master
    For the uk I use synthetic mainly just because it's so bloody wet, I use a paramo halcon jacket most of the time then once it's below about 5degc I'll add the paramo Torres insulated vest underneath imo the absolute best combo for the uk. In other climates I'll use down nothing is warmer or packs smaller in my experience however if it gets wet you'd be better off wearing a toilet paper jacket in the rain, hence I don't use down often in the uk out in the wilds.

Master
    Keep in mind that many down jackets are not waterproof and only designed for cold and DRY conditions.

The Arcteryx Kappa is an excellent hybrid that combines the warmth and light weight of a pure down jacket, but adds a water resistant shell on top that is significantly more durable than just a down jacket (ie, Cerium/Thorium/etc).

Down vs Synthetic Jacket Recommendations

I've used a variety of companies over the years - and lately I'm an ALPKIT fan.
    British firm. Very customer focussed.
    Their kit is excellent and slightly less expensive than some other brands whilst in no way inferior.

Check them out;

https://www.alpkit.com/featured/mens-clothing-sale

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the input. It seems there are a lot of recommendations for Arcteryx and it is well reviewed. However I'm going to take a closer look at the Alpkit on the basis that
    a) I'm a bit of a tight wad at heart and
    b) It's unlikely to get that much use with our damp climate so will probably spend a lot of time at the back of the wardrobe

Master
    Have a look at the Rab Microlight Apline jacket. I have one and it is warm for the thickness. The outer and down are also treated to be water resistent. It also has the zip doing up the right way around unlike the US style zips on things like Arcteryx that I can't get on with.

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post

What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    Thanks for all the input. It seems there are a lot of recommendations for Arcteryx and it is well reviewed. However I'm going to take a closer look at the Alpkit on the basis that
    a) I'm a bit of a tight wad at heart and
    b) It's unlikely to get that much use with our damp climate so will probably spend a lot of time at the back of the wardrobe

You will not be disappointed with Alpkit.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I have a mountain equipment down filled jacket, annapurna model, that I bought 35 years ago and I still wear it in the winter. Hard to beat that for value.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    For staying warm in the damp I would recommend Alpkit synthetic- I have an 0 hiro which is brilliant when it's miserable but not full on waterproof weather. Also have a Filo which is down, about 5 years old and still super warm. Not ideal for rainy weather, but better than most people think in the damp.
    Another couple of makes: Helly Hansen - avoid the fashion wear and look for there double fibre pile work wear. Buffalo- will never win a style award, but its pretty much as warm when it's wet as when it's dry, tough as old boots ( mines 19 years old).

Dave

Master
    North face mcmurdo parka

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post

Totally agree, the original Mountain Equipment
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    North face mcmurdo parka
    That's what a lot of film crews use on location as they are shower proof and very warm, not much good for being active though as you will soon overheat. I have a Canada goose chateau parka that I use when shooting on location in the winter but it needs to single figures to wear it otherwise I go for a 25year old RAB down jacket (when they were made in Sheffield) with a goretex shell over the top.
    If I was buying new I would go for a synthetic filled snugpak jacket or similar.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    North face mcmurdo parka
    +1
    Warm and waterproof, ideal for standing around in the cold and plenty of big pockets for your gear. I've had mine for at least 7 years, I've been out in sub zero and when it's hammering down, it's never let me down.

Master
    There's a berghous ultravena in the classies warmer than a warm thing and waterproof basically berghaus version of mcmurdo, worth a look if it's your size

Journeyman
    I absolutely adore my two Columbia Outdry Extreme Jacket's. 100% waterproof with no DWR coating to worry about wearing off, they are how waterproof clothing should be.

I own the below jacket and for cold wet winters walking the dog it can't be beaten. The water just beads up and runs straight off.

http://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/...xtreme&start=0

They even produce Outdry Extreme softshell jacket's which are again 100% waterprrof, once they come on sale I'll be adding one of those to the collection too.

http://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/...prefv1=Men%27s

I have quite a bit of Arc'teryx kit and it is superb - all synthetic as it's more convenient, easier to clean over the years etc. I also have one of THESE and it is also excellent for standing around in Winter without adding bulk. If you do go this route you will almost certainly need to order a size larger than you normally would. I buy clothes in either L or XL depending on the manufacturer; with this I had to get the XXL.