closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Simple tool advice sought

Craftsman

Simple tool advice sought

I'm after some advice regarding watch tools. I don't know exactly what I need so pointers would be appreciated, I'm looking to be able to:
    - change straps/bracelets, one of my watches has screwed pins so a case holder may be useful
    - resize bracelets (not sure what I need for this)
    From the above I think I need a springbar tool, precision screwdrivers and a case holder

I don't have any background in doing this myself as I haven't chopped and changed straps/bracelets. With a few new purchases coming up, I think it's going to be more likely.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these tools, they look fairly cheap (how much is there to a springbar tool?)
    http://amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/20 ... .y=0&Go=Go

Any recommendations would be appreciated with links ideally

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com

Re: Simple tool advice sought

Hi Digger,

I've looked at the tools on Amazon, and I think I'd leave them well alone.

Cheap tools are never an economy, and won't perform as well as quality ones.

Take a look at the selection available on Chronomaster.

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/accessories.htm

Even the budget ones are a cut above the cheap set that's on Amazon.

Craftsman

Agree with Doug. In addition, I find Bergeon 6767 a very good strap changing tool. You may find the discussions here useful. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43682&hilit= :)

Jim.

I'd agree that budget screwdrivers are a false economy, but I have had no problems at all with my budget spring bar tools.

These are the ones I bought: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-Spring-Bar-Remo ... dZViewItem

I bought a Bergeon spring bar tool but a cheap eBay set otherwise. Of those items the pin pusher device

like this broke quickly.

The case removal tool is only two pin and I daren't try it.

It's too easy though to spend a fortune on tools just to try them. A handful of decent quality ones would be nice. Yet the screwdrivers I have I bought on Doncaster market in 1978 and they never fail.

Craftsman

Thanks for the links, looking at the Bergeon spring bar tools there are two sizes 1mm and 3mm. I'm not sure which of these I'd need, could I get just one of them and get the addtional forks in the other size to fit onto the same tool?
    Is there anything in paricular to look out for with regard to spring bars or are they all pretty much the same (ie. If they fit, they will do the job) ?
    Addtionally, if I change a strap should I change the springbars each time and throw away the used bars?
    One last question regarding the pin removal, I take it the 6767 tool mentioned above doesn't help? (as you showed an image of a seperate pin piushing tool)

Apologies if these are noob questions, it's just that a new purchase will mean I want to change the original strap as soon as I get it to keep the OEM in original condition

Hello Digger.

For amature tinkering I have a Bergeon 6767F (1mm fork), buy a loose 3mm fork as it fits same holder.

This pin pusher:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WATCH-STRAP-PI...QQcmdZViewItem
    This case opener set:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...2BSI%26otn%3D4

and a small rubber jawed vice with suction table mount.

With these I can change straps/bracelets, alter bracelets to size and change batteries.
    This should be as much as you need. :wink:

First rule with tools. Do not go cheap! You did not go cheap on your watch; do not do the same with your tools. That’s like buying a Ferrari, then using the cheapest tires.

This is pretty much a basic tool set that you will need.

Seems like a lot, but if you are changing straps, spring bars, or just general work that any layman can do this works fine.

On the tweezers and scissors, instead of buying watchmakers, I purchased them from a surgical supply store. They are much better quality.

On vices, especially for the novice, go wood, if you over tighten you damage the wood not the watch.

Screwdrivers, buy the best money can buy; simple philosophy is that they do work better in your hands, and will prevent damage to the watch.

Wrenches, I have both JAXA, and LJ.

You can see what you need with Bergeon…

If you have a watch that has screws to hold the strap, get yourself a screw removing vice. It will hold one end securely, and you can un tighten the other end without the slippage, or scratches.

A digital caliper, works well, and is a good tool to have.

What appear to be blue stickers are actually optician lens covers. Any option will give you some; they help prevent scratches should the wrench slip…also great for covering your crystal while dong something.

Most important, is get yourself, a telescoping rod with magnet tip. It comes in handy when you have one of those pesky little spring bars that decides no matter what it wants to go across the room, instead of having to get down and find it, you take out the tool and just drag it in the area… It has saved me much aggravation.

Regards,

John

P.S. Side note, if you do not know what you’re doing at some point, stop, and get someone who does advice…

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Get a 'cheap' watch to practise on if you can. eg Dont find out the caseback opener slips easily on your nice display back watch :shock:

Means you can open her up and have a peek inside too without worrying too much.

Agree with the others, cheap stuff will need replacing sooner rather than later

Derek
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

I can recommend a HORB caseback opener - it's a sticky rubber ball that opens most casebacks, without any risk of scratches (unless you drop the watch). Search eBay.

Journeyman

I've just been using the pointy end of the bergeon 6767 to remove bracelet pins, is that a bad idea?

No Paul.. I think that's what it's for..
    I'm sure a professional tinkerer will tell us otherwise..!! :D

Master

Journeyman

Most of the items have been covered. One word of advice here. When ever you have a tool that is metal coming in touch with the watch (i.e., case back removal, spring bar changing, etc.) I always cut out a piece of plastic from either a good grade sandwich bag or freezer bag and position it on the watch. For case backs, place the plastic between the case opener and the watch back to protect it from scratches. For spring bars, cut a slit in the plastic and if possible position it so your tool rests against the plastic and not the case. With time you should be able to remove spring bars without scratching the case, but I suggest you use the plastic in the begining. I even use the plastic by postioning it under the watch hands when I remove the hands and protect the dial in lieu of the more expensive items. Just a poor mans method but it always keeps the sctracthes and digs away.

DaveB

Craftsman

Thanks for all your advice. Especially the tips for protecting against scratches, I was intending to use masking tape or something equally thick but I get the general idea.

The general consensus seems to be it's worth spending the money on something decent.
    I'm starting off with changing straps and I'm not ready to trust myself with opening cases quite yet. The idea of getting a well beaten watch to practise on appeals.
    I'll go with the 6767 and then look through the suggestions to find a case holder (may have to be my girlfriend to start off with).

I'll be ordering from the cousins website - they stock 1.0mm to 1.8mm sizes, is the best idea just to get a bunch of different sizes and see what fits on a watch or is there a size that is best suited to a strap/watch?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by digger
    I'll be ordering from the cousins website - they stock 1.0mm to 1.8mm sizes, is the best idea just to get a bunch of different sizes and see what fits on a watch or is there a size that is best suited to a strap/watch?
    Can anyone help on the spring bar front wrt sizes?