closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Crank Caller : Traced owner says number was hacked

Master

Crank Caller : Traced owner says number was hacked

Hello

Hoping we have someone here who can offer some expertise on the realities of phone hacking.

I recieved a crank call in the early hours. Death threats using firearms , threats to rape my "girlfriend". Multiple people on the call.

I retained the number , called it back multiple times. Same people at the other end , laughing , threats .

I googled the number , got multiple hits on facebook , skype , whatsapp , number registered to a colleague.

I report the incident to my employer. Nothing much happens.

I give it a month . I send a txt to the number in question. I ask the owner I've traced by name to come and help me with a prestigious job ( a seemingly golden opportunity as I'm senior to this person).

He responds back immediately : uses my name , mentions he'd love to but will have to clear it with his line manager , mentioned by name again.

I never shared my name over this number. He just seemingly magically knew it was me. I never had any number for this person prior to retaining the crank caller ID. Its possible he obtained mine in the office , as far as I'm aware I never shared it with him. No reason to.

With knowledge of my boss at work I confront the guy over email. He admits it was his number, claims many people got crank calls from it but it wasn't him , his number was spoofed/ hacked whatever. I don't believe him , tell him as much . Point out that whilst you can spoof a number ID for an outgoing call via various methods you cannot intercept an incoming call in the same way .

As I called back multiple times and got the same people on the other end its obviously his phone being used without any spoofing or other fairy stories.

Would anyone with any expertise in this area concur?

Master
    Did you not report the first call to the Police and leave an investigation to them?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Did you not report the first call to the Police and leave an investigation to them?
    Not yet . I want to find out who else was there. This guy is already cooked but he's dumb enough to squeal on the others.

No ifs or buts speak to the police.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Guys where I am the Police are not the most effective . I'm not in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Guys where I am the Police are not the most effective . I'm not in the UK.
    Ah sorry, my error.

We had something similar a few years ago, the police were very helpful but your circumstances appear different, if you've kept the text messages you could post them to a social media platform, make lots of noise.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Ah sorry, my error.

We had something similar a few years ago, the police were very helpful but your circumstances appear different, if you've kept the text messages you could post them to a social media platform, make lots of noise.
    Sure thing I can easily burn this guy career wise across the globe.

However I want corroboration about the number spoofing. I'm 99.9% sure even the CIA would struggle with a random phone intercept let alone some random crank callers.

With knowledge of my boss at work I confront the guy over email. He admits it was his number, claims many people got crank calls from it but it wasn't him , his number was spoofed/ hacked whatever. I don't believe him , tell him as much . Point out that whilst you can spoof a number ID for an outgoing call via various methods you cannot intercept an incoming call in the same way .

So as people have spoof/hacked his phone has he reported it to the police, or considered changing his number?
    If not, why not?

From what I know , yes you can spoof outgoing but not intercept.

Sounds like his excuse is crap.

If I'm not mistaken Mr D could be in India where he works a lot - if so the police there are about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Master

So as people have spoof/hacked his phone has he reported it to the police, or considered changing his number?
    If not, why not?
    Yes indeed . I think its pretty obvious this guy is too dumb to have formulated any adequate excuse from multiple perspectives.

I just want to ensure that last possibility he might be telling the truth is covered.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    From what I know , yes you can spoof outgoing but not intercept.

Sounds like his excuse is crap.

If I'm not mistaken Mr D could be in India where he works a lot - if so the police there are about as useful as a chocolate teapot.
    Bingo !

Blog Entries
    Still think you should go to the police, surely best to get it on record. Sounds like some sort of sociopathic behaviour trying to belittle or dominate you. He doesn't seem bothered you know it was him, if he didn't want you to know he would have used a different phone. It sounds like he wanted you to know it was him.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 11th September 2017 at 17:40.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Still think you should go to the police, surely best to get it on record. Sounds like some sort of sociopathic behaviour trying to belittle or dominate you. He doesn't seem bothered you know it was him, if he didn't want you to know he would have used a different phone. It sounds like he wanted you to know it was him.
    Ordinarily I would agree with you but knowing him I fear you have overestimated his capabilities.

A nasty little piece of work by no mistake. But a stupid gutless little scrote by any estimation as well.

I'm sure he's having a nervous breakdown right now. And I'm going to fry him slowly.

News of what he's done is travelling fast amongst his colleagues. Tomorrow I suspect his parents , sister and fiance will find out. By the end of the week any other company he could get a reasonable job with will know his name and what he's done.

This will all be accomplished just by me talking to my social circle.

He's toast and he knows it.

Unfortunately the other culprets may get away . However by making an example of the one that I caught I'm hoping the others will also be sweating.

Do you think this was just random retarded action, or have you been targeted for some reason?

Hello

Hoping we have someone here who can offer some expertise on the realities of phone hacking.

I recieved a crank call in the early hours. Death threats using firearms , threats to rape my "girlfriend". Multiple people on the call.

I retained the number , called it back multiple times. Same people at the other end , laughing , threats .

I googled the number , got multiple hits on facebook , skype , whatsapp , number registered to a colleague.

I report the incident to my employer. Nothing much happens.

I give it a month . I send a txt to the number in question. I ask the owner I've traced by name to come and help me with a prestigious job ( a seemingly golden opportunity as I'm senior to this person).

He responds back immediately : uses my name , mentions he'd love to but will have to clear it with his line manager , mentioned by name again.

I never shared my name over this number. He just seemingly magically knew it was me. I never had any number for this person prior to retaining the crank caller ID. Its possible he obtained mine in the office , as far as I'm aware I never shared it with him. No reason to.

As I called back multiple times and got the same people on the other end its obviously his phone being used without any spoofing or other fairy stories.

Would anyone with any expertise in this area concur?
    You work with this guy in some capacity so how did he get your number....sorry may have missed it

Journeyman
    Hello,

was the call mobile to mobile, mobile to landline, landline to mobile? It is possible for a mobile or landline to be hacked but extremely unlikely an ordinary collegue could do this. Unless they have inside help or knowledge from someone from the mobile provider or inside help from the telephone exchange of the landline supplier I would be very surprised if an ordinary person could do it. It is also possible to hack into a companys PABX system, but again you would need good knowledge of the operation system or make. All Pabx systems come out of the box with a default password and settings but any decent installer these days will change that as a matter of fact, much like you would when you put a wireless router in your house. Most systems have a dial in facility to help with fault finding and remote maintainence etc, again you would need good knowledge of the product to do it.

So in summary it is possible to hack into landlines and mobiles but I would be surprised if your collegue could do it, unless of course he works in the IT or telephone part of your company and even then its unlikely.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus04 View Post
    Hello,

was the call mobile to mobile, mobile to landline, landline to mobile? It is possible for a mobile or landline to be hacked but extremely unlikely an ordinary collegue could do this. Unless they have inside help or knowledge from someone from the mobile provider or inside help from the telephone exchange of the landline supplier I would be very surprised if an ordinary person could do it. It is also possible to hack into a companys PABX system, but again you would need good knowledge of the operation system or make. All Pabx systems come out of the box with a default password and settings but any decent installer these days will change that as a matter of fact, much like you would when you put a wireless router in your house. Most systems have a dial in facility to help with fault finding and remote maintainence etc, again you would need good knowledge of the product to do it.

So in summary it is possible to hack into landlines and mobiles but I would be surprised if your collegue could do it, unless of course he works in the IT or telephone part of your company and even then its unlikely.

Mobile to mobile.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    You work with this guy in some capacity so how did he get your number....sorry may have missed it
    I'm very senior to this to this . I've been the overall project lead on various projects , he's part of a team of about 40 technicians , mid- senior level in his role.

I've never given him my number its possible he could have picked it up from someone else on the floor , I'm generally happy to be contacted directly by anyone requiring advice or direction.

My interaction with him has been slight over the years though. No friction from my side.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    Do you think this was just random retarded action, or have you been targeted for some reason?
    Pretty sure it was a drunken bunch of goons who alos work with me , mid to junior tier staff. A bunch of drunk guys acting like big men.

I'm very successful in the local market in India .
    The fact I'm white and from the UK you face a certain level of resentment and dare I say it racism in India , mostly its under the radar but it boils up during arguments with certain people.

I've had to face a lot of people trying to sideline me over the years but I've outmanuoevred them and my work outclasses my rivals. Some locals still can't quite deal with that.

So you get these 12 year old school boy types acting like Tony Montana when they are in a gang. I would have let it go if it was just a prank but death threats and threats of rape are another matter. I am not in the least intimidated by this idiot but I want someone whose mind is that nasty gone one way or another.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus04 View Post
    Hello,

This is accurate. I would be very surprised indeed if he had been hacked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could sort this out once and for all by asking to see his phone call records, and if it has calls to your number at the time you received the crank calls, you have him.
    If he won't let you see his records you still have him.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Did you recognise his voice during these calls?
    Is it possible some of his 'mates' have been using his phone without his knowledge?

Just to play Devil's advocate as you don't want to ruin the guy, only to find out it was someone else all along.

Master
    If you bury him you'll have an enemy for life, watch your back. Show some forgiveness and let him off (with maybe some form of punishment or atonement) and he may grow up and become a real asset. He may also carry on being a jerk but at least there won't be someone sticking pins in a wax model of you for the next thirty years.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The ability to hack/clone someone's mobile phone etc is not something you pick up. It's pretty hard to do and you need the right equipment/knowledge. The chances that someone's going to bother just to make crank calls is low in the first place. Add to this your own actions seem to have caught him out I think he should be sweating right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    If you bury him you'll have an enemy for life, watch your back. Show some forgiveness and let him off (with maybe some form of punishment or atonement) and he may grow up and become a real asset. He may also carry on being a jerk but at least there won't be someone sticking pins in a wax model of you for the next thirty years.
    I'd go with this. India isn't the safest of places as it is.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Is it possible some of his 'mates' have been using his phone without his knowledge?

Just to play Devil's advocate as you don't want to ruin the guy, only to find out it was someone else all along.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post

Considering what the threats were I'm totally fine with him being ruined.

I'm not worried about him. I could break him in half if it comes down to it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post

Multiple people on the call. I told him if he gave me their names I'd go easy on him.

He stuck with the hacking rubbish. Seems quite cut and dried if he's not giving them up its on him entirely.

Journeyman
    Why not go to your own phone operator and ask for an itemised list of incoming calls ... this should show the 'real' originating number rather than the supposed spoofed number. (although reading this thread i think we all know that the person originated this call and just trying to cover his tracks) Spoofing their Caller ID is easily done, but it appears that this hasnt happened as the number you dialled back went directly to the phone of the person you suspect initiated the original call..
    So spoofing the ID should hide/alter their original number ..but it seems to me that this didnt happen as you had the real original number anyway..
    Also with digital communications its difficult to intercept a call .. not impossible, but not really something the layman can do ..

So the only other excuse is if someone else had their phone and made the calls without them knowing ...

Considering what the threats were I'm totally fine with him being ruined.

I'm not worried about him. I could break him in half if it comes down to it.

It is possible to clone SIM card with or without owners knowledge with very basic kit which costs just a few quid. Just saying.

If it was me I'd confront him face to face with third party present and taking notes, a bit late for this I suppose, still may be useful. Also there should be plenty of capable private security/PI outfits in your neck of the woods which may help you to sort this out once and for all.
    Last edited by VDG; 12th September 2017 at 08:57.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Also pretty easy to redirect an inbound number to another one just by calling the telco and impersonating the account owner or abusing their handset.

Not that I'm saying that actually happened.

Agree cloning a SIM is simple stuff. Potentially two phones with the same number. However if one phone is switched off then the service provider has no way of knowing.
    You need to be certain, odd that you've not spoken to the police, your service provider or for that matter his service provider.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    It is possible to clone SIM card with or without owners knowledge with very basic kit which costs just a few quid. Just saying.

If it was me I'd confront him face to face with third party present and taking notes, a bit late for this I suppose, still may be useful. Also there should be plenty of capable private security/PI outfits in your neck of the woods which may help you to sort this out once and for all.
    Why would he still use the same number?
    If he says he knew crank calls had been made why didn'y he immediately inform people. He's known for weeks I was on to him before I confronted him.

He still has the same number.

Master
    I don't need water tight proof that would stand up in court. To be honest , he's acknowledged the calls were made and given his cock and bull hacking story and his nonsensical excuses and behaviour any judge would throw the book at him anyway.

However this being India going to the Police would be a glacial process. I'll screw him myself , already started.

Ironically for a would be rapist by the time I've finished with him he'll be whoring himself on street corners just to be able to afford to eat.

Craftsman
    I don't need water tight proof that would stand up in court. To be honest , he's acknowledged the calls were made and given his cock and bull hacking story and his nonsensical excuses and behaviour any judge would throw the book at him anyway.

However this being India going to the Police would be a glacial process. I'll screw him myself , already started.

Ironically for a would be rapist by the time I've finished with him he'll be whoring himself on street corners just to be able to afford to eat.

I dunno why, but am I the only person that's not quite sure about all this?

No.

Hard to tell with this who's being the bigger twat in all of this.

Crank Caller : Traced owner says number was hacked

Me too, appreciate that the call wasn't pleasant and the lying afterwards didn't help but I've done far worse things that I've after been ashamed of when out on the razz.

Also if you're not a "local" then I'd be very wary, heard of guy from the UK when I was in india who has been accused of hitting a girl/woman who is now having to go through the painfully slow legal process in india now. Means lots of trips back and fourth and could ultimately mean that he won't be allowed to come back after a visit if things go pear shaped.
    Last edited by IAmATeaf; 14th September 2017 at 14:34.

Master
    I'm totally comfortable with my response. Threats of murder and rape are about as low as you can go.
    Especially considering the history of this place when it comes to women's rights.

I'd be wary of making enemies out there . A stupid prank call is hardly worth making an enemy out of with a real vendetta. Life is far too short.

Grand Master
    If I was the OP there's no way I'd be posting such details on a public forum, other than the phon-hacking advice I'm strugling to understand the motive for sharing much of this. I can understand the urge to get even with this character but I cetainly wouldn't broadcast it.

I'd be very wary of making enemies in a country like India. Whether he likes it or not he's the outsider and that's never a strong position to be in regardless of status within the business............ that counts for nothing when your health and well-being suddenley takes a turn for the worst.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 14th September 2017 at 15:24.

Master
    Especially considering the history of this place when it comes to women's rights.
    Given "the history of this place" they - the guy who phoned you, management, the police - are very unlikely to treat your concern with the gravity you feel they should. So what makes you think you can (slightly hyperbolically, I hope) have the perp "whoring himself out on street corners"?

In reality he'll get a slap on the wrists from the legal system, if that. Just get the guy fired and move on. And then watch your back.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If I was the OP there's no way I'd be posting such details on a public forum, other than the phon-hacking advice I'm strugling to understand the motive for sharing much of this. I can understand the urge to get even with this character but I cetainly wouldn't broadcast it.

I'd be very wary of making enemies in a country like India. Whether he likes it or not he's the outsider and that's never a strong position to be in regardless of status within the business............ that counts for nothing when your health and well-being suddenley takes a turn for the worst.

Paul
    In short, this.

Take whatever action you must to redress the balance, but keep it to yourself. Gloating about your plans for revenge on an Internet forum isn't the brightest thing to do.

Absolutely not.

OP sounds like a little boy. If you're going to do someone over, the first thing you dont do is tell anyone, let alone the whole world on a public forum.

Bragging about your plans makes you sound like a twit.
    Last edited by Kiki Picasso; 14th September 2017 at 19:14.

I'm totally comfortable with my response. Threats of murder and rape are about as low as you can go.
    Sticks and stones hurt Mr D, not the foolish threats of a young jealous braggart drunk in front of his friends. I wonder if you really felt threatened or were more outraged at the attempt because it violates your code and value of protecting others.

It feels good to act in righteous anger sometimes, powerful. Really it sounds like you may be seizing on the actions of a fool as a chance to exercise your own power. Keep your powder dry for a real threat, which I hope never comes.

Be very careful. Destroy a man, take everything he has, and you have made an enemy who has nothing left to lose.

Nobody is untouchable if someone is determined enough, or has nothing to lose.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Indeed. I know it's difficult to judge situation by a few brief posts, so FWIW I advise caution and get to the bottom of it before doing any 'destroying'. And that's exactly why I suggested hiring a security/PI co, things like this escalate pretty rapidly and you may find yourself on the receiving end.. JustSaying.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    I don't really understand this thread. Are you bragging about having this guy's future in your hands to destroy? When I started reading I was expecting to see you ask for advice but it seems you just want to show off?