closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone put the heating on yet?

We've had the biannual too-hot/too-cold standoff for a week or so now, with the concession of the heating being turned on for a short while in the morning and evening - TBH I've been a bit cold a couple of times, so given we normally last until late September/early October, it shows that it's a bit colder than normal.

I find that once it's on, the "too-cold"s have their way until spring.

Next, is the winter-duvet battle!

Ours has been coming on in the mornings and good job too. Can't stand less than 21 degrees.

Off to my son's again in FL next month to warm up a bit.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Canny good show sir.

Yee hev why-aye solved the problem of hoo te keep warm in wor chilly climate.

It's ower cowld for sittin on the cracket out in me cree mind but, hinny.
    F.T.F.A.

It has started to get chilly, but I'm never mentally prepared for Winter lol.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Stays off all year round. As a child I was always told to just put warm clothes on

I bet you're the type of bloke who has salt, niot sugar, on his porridge, Hafle.

Rob

No, though I have put the towel radiator on in the morning so I have a warm towel after a shower, winter duvet is still packed away though have thrown a thin blanket over the summer one.

Indoor temp is currently 19.5 and I'm comfortable but if it was the winter that would be cold and a daytime heating off temp?!
    I did grow up in an unseated upstairs house with single skin walls and critall windows so don't like hot stuffy homes.

Quote Originally Posted by P ELLIS View Post
    couple of the neighbours have underfloor heating but when they got their lecky bills a few years ago they soon turned it off lol
    Luckily ours is 'wet' underfloor heating which runs off a gas boiler so very economical. I have heard the electric version is stupidly expensive to run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logs delivered, oil delivered for the central heating and chimney swept but not used the heating or fire yet. Our house is around 370 years old and single glazed but the thick thatched roof keeps the temperature fairly steady. We tend to start using the log burner in October and the central heating in November. Even then we only use the heatinb for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Put ours on tonight but it was only to test its all working ok before the cold really sets in. Now im boiling.

Never quite understood why the appropriateness of heating should be in some way related to what it says on the calendar, rather than the temperature.

Master
    I have no wish to gloat(well OK I do), it was 34 degrees in Sunny Spain today.

Had to put on the heating, but, it was always going to happen. Buy a Nest thermostat, you don't feel nearly as guilty!

My flat has terrible single glazing - during a storm you can feel the breeze passing through - but facing both east and south gets drenched by any available sunshine, so at this time of year the temperature inside is all over the place. Yesterday afternoon the heating had to be on, this morning, I'm contentedly roasting in the sunshine.

Yup we've started switching it on a couple of weeks back now. The wife likes the house warm, I like it cold. Can't be arsed arguing. Usual story!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    Yup we've started switching it on a couple of weeks back now. The wife likes the house warm, I like it cold. Can't be arsed arguing. Usual story!
    There's a pattern here ;-) The blokes try to keep it off as long as possible and the lasses want it on as soon as the temp drops below 20! ;-) Perhaps it's related to who pays the fuel bills? ;-) So the wife's dad is a proper Yorkshire tight <mumble, mumble>... he not only makes his winter fuel subsidy last the whole 12 months but he actually has excess left the end of the 12 months! Unbelievable. You go round his house in the winter and he's sat there in the living room with 'thermals' on, two jumpers and a scarf! The washing machine only goes on when one of his daughters goes round and forces him plus he NEVER has a shower.... washing is a rub down all over with a cold flannel. I kid you not!

I'm located in Austria and I have turned on the heating two days ago.
    Days are still warm but it already gets very cold at night (sub 10 degree c)

cant go on before November

Master
    My new towel radiators came on in the bathroom today. Seemed like a good idea to spend $400 upgrading from normal radiators, until I realised we don't use the heating in the summer and as the radiators are powered through the central heating they're not going got dry my towels. Back to the airing cupboard it was.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    My new towel radiators came on in the bathroom today. Seemed like a good idea to spend $400 upgrading from normal radiators, until I realised we don't use the heating in the summer and as the radiators are powered through the central heating they're not going got dry my towels. Back to the airing cupboard it was.
    Also they are crap at space-heating.

Since I stupidly changed my normal radiator for a "stylish" towel radiator, my bathroom has gone from a really warm room to a frigid ice box in the winter. Really need to get around to changing it back.

I'm genuinely starting to wonder if female physiology differs to males - I've worked in lots of offices where the women are huddled in jumpers and I'm sat there in my shirtsleeves feeling uncomfortably warm. Also never slept with a lady who didn't have cold feet. In 2017 that's probably outrageously non pc but I'm sure there's something going on especially judging by this thread?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Stays off all year round. As a child I was always told to just put warm clothes on
    Ha! I grew up with no heating in an old farm house which had numerous air holes (let's say) Never did me any harm (and other such cliche's). I attribute my lack of bodily padding to that scenario!

Have a nightmare now though, walk in and the Mrs has the house like a bloody oven and I spend the evening moaning while she says "it's coooold" while clutching a hot water bottle with the radiators flat out. Other thing is I have to have the windows open in the bedroom otherwise I can't sleep.

I'd rather the room was on the colder side as you can always add clothing but when it's too hot it's horrible. I'm dreading the colder weather coming as I'll be spending the evening with my face burning red as I work outside every day and coming in to a warm house usually results in me standing in the back door way until I adjust.

In my Edinburgh flat which I live in from Mon-Fri, my heating hasn't been on since Dec 2010 (when I put it on for one evening, during the worst of the snow). I prefer it cool (13c my ideal).

Even my wife hasn't put the heating on at our main home yet, which is surprising. Once it's on, it's really ON (at 22c) - whilst the back door is left open to let the dog run in and out. And it's costing me £120 a month. Sometimes I laugh, otherwise I'd cry...

Master
    Tried to fire up the Radiators today, boiler fires up but no life in the radiators.
    Have bled 3 radiators upstairs so far with no luck.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret67 View Post
    Tried to fire up the Radiators today, boiler fires up but no life in the radiators.
    Have bled 3 radiators upstairs so far with no luck.
    Sticking port valve?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Bit more processing today to avoid paying for oil too soon when it gets colder!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I SAID NO!

Had to put the garage heating on today (we got caught in a cloudburst with the MGAs hood down), its up to 26 at the moment so should be nice and dry soon.