closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My cat has magnetised my watch!

Craftsman

My cat has magnetised my watch!

Friday means a change of watch for me so last night I looked out my watch, wound it and set the time. This morning I realise its 10 minutes slow! So i think i just set the time wrong last night. Nope, its slowed a couple of minutes again over the next 30 minutes. So what has happened? The only thing that i can think of , apart from a mechanical break down, is that my cat jumped up on to my bedside table last night and got too close to my watch with her magnetic collar!
    With no compass at hand to check, I did a quick google search and found a handy (free) app that allows you to tell if your watch is magnetised. And so it is!
    Only 1 question really, will my watch be alright to run out of power normally until i get it demagnetised, or should i stop the watch just now?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Let it run down normally.
    I'm not 100% positive but magnetized watches tend to run fast rather than slow. Hope it gets sorted anyway :)

As above, magnetisation tends to make the hairspring clump together, reducing the effective length and thus massively increasing the frequency, so a magnetized watch usually runs really fast.
    D

My Hublot got magnetised by my IPad keyboard cover and ran around 3-4 mins fast over 24 hours.

(Cheap demagnetiser from Amazon sorted it and its back to running around +/- 2 secs per day.)

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the advice. Not sure how trustworthy the app is but seems to detect something. I've order a demagnetiser so we'll see if there's any improvement after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. Not sure how trustworthy the app is but seems to detect something. I've order a demagnetiser so we'll see if there's any improvement after that.
    You don't actually need the app, you can use your compass app on the phone which will also deflect if the watch is magnetised. Just have to fiddle about working out where the magnetism sensor is on your phone.

I have had a magnetised watch and as others have said it immediately started running 3mins fast per day.

I used this Tianjin off eBay to demagnetise it - maybe worth buying if your cat is a permanent feature :). The video starts slow but is actually a very good guide to how to demagnetise.

https://youtu.be/81Vuhe-ytz4

Master
    This thread's title is almost on par with the infamous 'Freddie Starr ate my hamster' headline!

Winner for thread title of the year!

Sounds like one of those 'My hovercraft is full of eels' foreign language phrases.

I know that this is of no help to the OP whatsoever, but it reminded me of a story told to me by a vet, who had a client with a very young kitten which had a collar with a magnet to operate a cat flap.

They came home from work one day to find a distressed and very hungry kitten attached firmly to the fridge...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I know that this is of no help to the OP whatsoever, but it reminded me of a story told to me by a vet, who had a client with a very young kitten which had a collar with a magnet to operate a cat flap.

They came home from work one day to find a distressed and very hungry kitten attached firmly to the fridge...
    She has attached herself to some unusual things! Thankfully she's big enough to detach herself as well! Though occasionally you will see a random screw attached to the collar!

Sounds like you need some Iberian lothario assistance.

Craftsman
    And mine decided to take a piss on the sofa yesterday, if I could choose I'd rather it magnetised all my watches.

Master
    Dog to demagnetize it?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Sounds like you need some Iberian lothario assistance.
    Haha I'm sure he'd be only too happy to oblige.

Craftsman
    I downloaded the Lepsi app just to see and according to that about 70% of all metal objects are magnetised including two of my watches that are running just fine. One of which was only recently worked on.

Not sure the app is wholly trustworthy as a guide to magnetisim.

When I had my IWC brought in from Italy I did wonder if there was a risk of magnetism as it travels through all the post scanners, conveyors etc.

Is it worth having a demagnetiser just to run all your watches over it to be sure? Are there any possible ill effects to using one?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    You don't actually need the app, you can use your compass app on the phone which will also deflect if the watch is magnetised. Just have to fiddle about working out where the magnetism sensor is on your phone.

I have had a magnetised watch and as others have said it immediately started running 3mins fast per day.

I used this Tianjin off eBay to demagnetise it - maybe worth buying if your cat is a permanent feature :). The video starts slow but is actually a very good guide to how to demagnetise.

https://youtu.be/81Vuhe-ytz4

I fired up the compass app and despite knowing roughly where the sensor is on my iP7 (top left) it does not twitch or deflect with a magnet being placed near or floated by.

The Lepsi app immidietly says MAGNETISM DETECTED with presence of a magnet (or seemingly many metal objects)

My cat has magnetised my watch!

@dommorton, that sounds like a good reason to disregard the Lepsi app :).

I'm sure there are better ways of checking for magnetism, all I know is what I observed. Watch suddenly ran very fast after I had been tinkering, it deflected my iPhone compass (same place as yours), I demagnetised it, it stopped deflecting the compass and started running normally again.
    Last edited by alfat33; 16th September 2017 at 11:48.

Craftsman

Craftsman
    [IMG][/IMG]