closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tv. Oled or lcd

Tv. Oled or lcd

Off to buy a couple of teles for the new house this Saturday. Really like the look of the LG oled and the Samsung lcd
    55” I’m after Anybody got the oled from LG. They are very expensive at £1800 each so need to choose wisely
    Cheers Andy

We replaced a 50” high end Pany plasma with a 55” LG OLED and it has been fantastic.

Definitely OLED, the blacks are very black as per a top PLASMA screen, but the brightness is slightly down.... not enough to worry about though.
    You won't go far wrong with LG.
    Last edited by Rod; 27th September 2017 at 08:48.

Craftsman
    The LG OLEDs are great TV's, but just be aware that some owners have reported image retention and screen burn issues. Normal viewing should be fine, but if you watch any with static content for any length of time (or gaming with HUDs) then it's something to be aware of.

I'm still scarred from the experience with my old Panasonic plasma - I watch a lot of F1 and the screen soon had a faint F1 logo burnt into the bottom left of the screen so any reports of image retention or screen burn would make me think twice, especially considering the price.

I have last year's 55" LG OLED TV (OLED55B6) and have been more than happy with it. I managed to get it for £1600 with free Sky Q for a year. The best deals I've seen for the OLED55B7V are from John Lewis and Richer Sounds who both have it for £1879 with a 5 or 6 year guarantee. Currys have the same price but have a poor track record with providing documentation for their own 5 year guarantee so I would avoid them.

Cheers guys.
    I’ve looked at the b7. And the e7 but that’s about £500 more
    Richer sounds have offered me £150 off if I buy 2

Journeyman
    Another vote for the LG OLED, I've got a 55B6 in the man cave and it's a fantastic television.

LG OLED - best picture but the Samsung QLED is very good.

The thing to realise with LG is that the increasing price of the models is driven by its sound capabilities and not the panel quality!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG OLED for sure! I have the 55E6 and it’s fantastic. The 2017 models are very slightly better but they lose the 3D, a feature I actually like.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    LG OLED - best picture but the Samsung QLED is very good.

The thing to realise with LG is that the increasing price of the models is driven by its sound capabilities and not the panel quality!

So better to buy the cheaper version and get a
    Decent sound bar then ?

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Decent sound bar then ?
    Yep. That is what Stuff magazine and What HiFi recommend a B or C series is enough and then have the choice of which sound system you wish to use.

Personally I am very happy with my Denon HEOS system paired with my 55' LG OLED 2016 model!

Recently released Sony and Panasonic OLED's trump the LG, the panel they use is made by LG of course but they use far superior processors and in house know how.

Another vote for OLED here.

I did quite a bit of comparison this time last year and got a 55B6. There’s absolutely no doubt that the black levels and contrast are much better, particularly where there are light and dark in near proximity.

My main provisos are that OLED isn’t perfect - in a dark room they look fantastic, but in a bright room they can be a bit dark and you lose the shadow detail, you may find regular LCD better.

Also, I’m not convinced the motion handling is as good - I don’t know whether this is LG vs Samsung (my other TV) in general though. Apparently the Sony OLED has better motion processing, but I’ve not spentany time looking at one.

I don’t think many people are disappointed with OLED though.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Decent sound bar then ?
    Or even better, some decent floorstander speakers and a cheap AV Receiver for less money most overpriced soundbars

Journeyman

Tv. Oled or lcd

Another very satisfied B6 OLED owner here...
    Used with a yamaha 2500 soundbar

My LG OLED is the best TV (picture) that I’ve owned. Knocks the spots off the Panasonic plasma that it replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    My LG OLED is the best TV (picture) that I’ve owned. Knocks the spots off the Panasonic plasma that it replaced.
    I have to admit my Panny G10, bought at the tail end of 2009 stunned me at the time and for ages afterwards. Seeing my sister's Panny 4k telly... it's so much sharper. I've not really spent much time watching it when I call by but standard HD looks brilliant. I'm getting itchy now. I do have a 2.1 Denon sound system but I need to keep the TV volume up a little to centre the voices.

We replaced our Pioneer 5090 Plasma -which has been fantastic for the 8 years that we have had it-with an LG 65" OLEd and it is AMAZING!

If you can push your budget go for the E7N model, the twin processors are much better at motion control, either way have a look at https://www.avforums.com/forums/whic...uld-i-buy.367/

The advice on their is very, very good
    John

Journeyman
    Got the LG 55E6 and although the OLED blacks are outstanding had a lot of issues with motion and lip sync. Would be looking at the Sony if I was in the market for one now apparently has better picture processing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Just bought a 55" LG B7 OLED (same as the C7 apparently but with a different stand)
    I always bought Samsung before but chose OLED over the Samsung backlit technology.

Very impressed with the LG - the applications are great, UHD streaming is great - i'm retiring my Roku box.

That said, the picture is definitely not as bright - if you always use in daytime or bright rooms then i would look at the Samsung.
    I've not had time to fiddle with the picture settings - just using the default settings.

^
    That's interesting. My TV faces south so it's always in the bright light. During the winter months and low sun my plasma is invisible in the afternoons. I refuse to draw the curtains!

Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy333 View Post
    Got the LG 55E6 and although the OLED blacks are outstanding had a lot of issues with motion and lip sync. Would be looking at the Sony if I was in the market for one now apparently has better picture processing.
    The lipsync is something that annoys me with all TVs, and I think you’re more likely to notice it on a larger set (Amazon is terrible for this). I think the advantage of the LG OS is that it’s easily adjustable.

Motion is definitely something that could be better though.

Quote Originally Posted by swisstony View Post
    That said, the picture is definitely not as bright - if you always use in daytime or bright rooms then i would look at the Samsung.
    I've not had time to fiddle with the picture settings - just using the default settings.
    I find that in brighter conditions you’re actually better sacrificing some of the blacks by increasing the brightness to 52 or so, then you don’t lose the shadow detail (esp HDR content). I’ve found it’s much harder to get an OLED to look just how you want it. If you look at the AV forums, you’ll find endless threads on settings, but most of these seem to be for what I assume to be viewing in complete darkness and suck the life out of the picture IMO.