closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch for my daughters 21st birthday

Journeyman

Watch for my daughters 21st birthday

Hi,

It's my daughters 21st very soon and she has said she'd like a watch. She knows she'll inherit a bi metal ladies date just with diamond bezel and diamond indecease at some point but after a couple of Michael Kors shitters she wants something better. I can run to £1000 max so what's out there for that sort of money preferably 38 to 40mm. I'm thinking Longenes or Tag Heuer at that sort of money but open to suggestions

Some of the Rado watches might appeal to her?

Craftsman

Watch for my daughters 21st birthday

The nomos campus is 36mm but available within budget.
    I think these look great and I imagine the style may appeal to a 21 year old.

I note you have said 38 - 40mm. Has your daughter worn watches of that size before? I know that large watches are fashionable for young women but for me (a young(ish) woman) once I get above 36mm the shape of the lugs becomes crucial otherwise the lugs hang over my wrist which looks awful and is uncomfortable.

New or second hand? I bought my wife a perfect mid size Omega Seamaster quartz a few months ago. Boxed and papers. £900 of your finest English pounds (to paraphrase Mr Henry Cole)

My 24 year old has been delighted with her Seiko SKX013 for the last 3 years.

Don't go 38-40mm. It'll just be tossed aside when the fad goes out.

Get her something classic and elegant like this:

https://www.thewatchgallery.com/long...58-4-71-6.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jacktheripper View Post

Very good suggestion! Trouble is at that age( my youngest is also 21) they are as fickle as a sack of stoats! My youngest loves her Michael Kors crap and DISLIKES my wife’s Cartier, go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Very good suggestion! Trouble is at that age( my youngest is also 21) they are as fickle as a sack of stoats! My youngest loves her Michael Kors crap and DISLIKES my wife’s Cartier, go figure!
    It is strange isn't it? I just thought she might like to have something different to everyone else, I would have done at that age anyway. Maybe at 16-18 I would have wanted what everyone else had. She's a woman coming of age so I'd give her something more sophisticated that she can keep for years to come. Surely she can see that fashion comes and goes but timeless design is... timeless.

Blog Entries
    It is strange isn't it? I just thought she might like to have something different to everyone else, I would have done at that age anyway. Maybe at 16-18 I would have wanted what everyone else had. She's a woman coming of age so I'd give her something more sophisticated that she can keep for years to come. Surely she can see that fashion comes and goes but timeless design is... timeless.
    You get it, I get it, she will also get it eventually!

Quote Originally Posted by sco77w View Post
    Hi,

It's my daughters 21st very soon and she has said she'd like a watch. She knows she'll inherit a bi metal ladies date just with diamond bezel and diamond indecease at some point but after a couple of Michael Kors shitters she wants something better. I can run to £1000 max so what's out there for that sort of money preferably 38 to 40mm. I'm thinking Longenes or Tag Heuer at that sort of money but open to suggestions
    Its been said before, its what she likes that matters, a couple of hours in Meadowhell should sort it.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    I can run to £1000 max so what's out there for that sort of money preferably 38 to 40mm. I'm thinking Longenes or Tag Heuer at that sort of money but open to suggestions

Saw these last night while browsing their site.

Stowa Antea "back to bahaus" range available in three sizes, 35,36,39mm. Some nice colours which might appeal to a 21 year old young lady.

https://www.stowa.de/en/Antea+back+to+bauhaus+brown.htm

Tag Heuer do some nice ceramic black or white watches.

They’re £1,250 starting price but I’m sure you could get a little off with some shopping around.

Journeyman
    Tudor style or glamour ranges. Might stretch the budget a little but I’m sure there is discount to be had.

Craftsman
    I would take her for lunch and then let her choose. There is nothing worse than buying a gift that you think is perfect for someone and watching them smile politely and say "Oh.....that's really nice.....thank you". Then you notice that they very rarely wear it. While many people think surprises are great for the recipient, they very rarely are.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Have to disagree with that. I think 36-40mm watches on women are here to stay.

I would echo the suggestions of taking her out and letting her pick.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sazzle View Post
    The nomos campus is 36mm but available within budget.
    I think these look great and I imagine the style may appeal to a 21 year old.

I note you have said 38 - 40mm. Has your daughter worn watches of that size before? I know that large watches are fashionable for young women but for me (a young(ish) woman) once I get above 36mm the shape of the lugs becomes crucial otherwise the lugs hang over my wrist which looks awful and is uncomfortable.
    Yes she has had a couple that size

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    New or second hand? I bought my wife a perfect mid size Omega Seamaster quartz a few months ago. Boxed and papers. £900 of your finest English pounds (to paraphrase Mr Henry Cole)
    I use to have the Quartz seamaster. I really wanted a mechanical watch for her. There's loads in that budget with the ETA 2824 movement inside

I use to have the Quartz seamaster. I really wanted a mechanical watch for her. There's loads in that budget with the ETA 2824 movement inside
    I was thinking that she might not have to keep it worn, I got my wife the quartz as she doesn't always wear a watch and I didn't want her having to always be setting the date \ time if she hadn't worn it for a couple of days.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Its been said before, its what she likes that matters, a couple of hours in Meadowhell should sort it.
    Planned for next weekend 👍

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by firefoxed View Post
    Saw these last night while browsing their site.

Stowa Antea "back to bahaus" range available in three sizes, 35,36,39mm. Some nice colours which might appeal to a 21 year old young lady.

https://www.stowa.de/en/Antea+back+to+bauhaus+brown.htm
    Not a brand I know but they look good. Like the option to personalise it too.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    I was thinking that she might not have to keep it worn, I got my wife the quartz as she doesn't always wear a watch and I didn't want her having to always be setting the date \ time if she hadn't worn it for a couple of days.
    I know what you mean, I have 2 autos and 2 handwound. My SKX007 beater gets worn every day and only gets reset every couple of weeks and that's just because it gains a bit. If I wear one of the others it needs setting and winding.

Journeyman

Let her choose

She will be very happy with a Rolex though. Good luck.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    She will be very happy with a Rolex though. Good luck.
    She's in line to inherit one. She's loved it since she was young. Think she was about 11 when I bought it for the wife.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by AAddict View Post
    That would make a great every-day watch. We'll have to see what she says but thanks everyone for your suggestions so far. Feel free to keep them coming

Journeyman
    That would make a great every-day watch. We'll have to see what she says but thanks everyone for your suggestions so far. Feel free to keep them coming
    Well she went for a Tag. Wouldnt have been my first choice but its the one she wants. shes gone for the Aquaracer diamond dot. http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/TAG-Heue...YaAilJEALw_wcB

Ironically it was a Tag 2000 that was my first "luxury" watch back in the late 80s.

Journeyman
    Nomos club campus, without any question

Apprentice
    Well she went for a Tag. Wouldnt have been my first choice but its the one she wants. shes gone for the Aquaracer diamond dot. http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/TAG-Heue...YaAilJEALw_wcB

Ironically it was a Tag 2000 that was my first "luxury" watch back in the late 80s.
    Good to let her choose.

I think the Aquaracer is a perfectly nice watch. I'm sure that earlier this year another forum member's daughter also picked an Aquaracer as a birthday watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I think the Aquaracer is a perfectly nice watch. I'm sure that earlier this year another forum member's daughter also picked an Aquaracer as a birthday watch.
    Bought my wife that model, one of the nicest ladies watches out there. A little bit of bling but also very sporty and different from the Michael Kors Rolex wannabes