closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How do you wear your NATO straps???

How do you wear your NATO straps???

Am I the only one that is unable to wear NATO straps correctly?
    I have wrists of an approx circumfrence of 8" which is too large for a typical NATO.
    I have to wear them with the tail end folded in half and tucked into the first keeper/ retaining ring. I don't think this looks as good as when the strap is worn with the tail end correctly folded through both keepers/retaining rings.
    Does anyone else have this problem?

Re: How do you wear your NATO straps???

Are there any extra long Natos?

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ODP
    Am I the only one that is unable to wear NATO straps correctly?
    I have wrists of an approx circumfrence of 8" which is too large for a typical NATO.
    I have to wear them with the tail end folded in half and tucked into the first keeper/ retaining ring. I don't think this looks as good as when the strap is worn with the tail end correctly folded through both keepers/retaining rings.
    Does anyone else have this problem?
    Welcome to the Big Wrist Club. :D

Personally, I use longer Waterbornes and Rhinos. But there are also longer regular NATOs on eBay, although they don not match Eddie's quality work. I usually enquire with a seller for the overall length.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Lose the "extra" piece.Much more comfy and looks better too. :) IMHO.

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus

If the tail-don't reach it, he can also remove the second keeper (with pliers).

john

Thomas Reid

Both with two piece and one piece, I often just let it all hang out. Here's the watch I'm wearing at the moment.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

john
    A perfect fit on my 7"wrist in fact, nicely tucked into both! Of course on a, cough, larger wristed gent........... :roll: :wink:
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    Both with two piece and one piece, I often just let it all hang out. Bob
    Exhibitionist! :wink:
    F.T.F.A.

john
    That's what I often do, too.

Try tucking the tail piece forwards and in so the end of it can't be seen.

Personally I don't mind if it doesn't reach the second keeper, the first one keeps it out of harm's way.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim:

Personally I don't mind if it doesn't reach the second keeper, the first one keeps it out of harm's way.

Jim
    Yes ... but then you are still left with a keeper with nothing to keep. How do you explain that? :D

john

I only own one NATO and I also have 8 inch wrists.

On mine I have found that the end goes through both keepers and then I fold the end back under the second keeper.

I don't know if it is longer than usual, I bought it at a watch fair but shows there are some out there for the big wrist club.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim:

Jim
    Yes ... but then you are still left with a keeper with nothing to keep. How do you explain that? :D

john
    Explain it to who? :wink:
    F.T.F.A.

Apprentice

I must say this never really struck me as a "problem" before now!

I just tuck the short end inwards. It looks perfectly neat.

Journeyman

I must say it was cause for consternation when I first bought my Rhinos and a Bond nato.......how to loop the end?

I have found that I fasten the end strap through the double 'D' as I would with a motorcycle helmet, then just tuck the end under itself, this gives much more security, only works for solid bars (not spring bars).

To balance the strap I take a loop off the other side to leave just the one; personally I find the extra loop a hindrance and of no use, therefore it has to go.

Craftsman

I have nancy-boy thin wrists, so I cut my rhino ends and melted the tips to stop fraying, having tucked it in the buckle in what I think is the correct way, such that it is retained by the rings as well as the buckle.

Craftsman

I thought the whole point of a nato was that it could be worn on the out side of a coat or dive suit.
    So... how does someone with big wrists and a big coat use a nato properly?
    Design flaw?
    Scouter

Craftsman

I don't think that's the point of the NATO, as the NATO is not a dive strap. The rhino/waterborne variants are dive straps.

I usually wear my military watches on NATOs as I have thin wrists. I think that the NATO relies on the buckle alone retaining the strap, while the rhino, if threaded through the rings like a helmet strap, does not rely solely on the buckle and therefore offers more security (even with spring bars, but more with fixed bars - if one snags the strap only, the stress is not on the watch, but i the watch itself is snagged then at least one pin may break loose, which is not the case with fixed bars). However, I find the rhino, especially the 4 ring, quite bulky and this can snag on things.

In my previous days with the regular Army I found that my G-shock snagged on my pack and webbing straps when putting them on, leading to embarrassing Mr Bean-like displays of awkwardness. The rhino is, on my wrist, even more prominent than the G-shock, so I am in two minds about it. On the one hand, if it does snag on part of an aircraft (in which I now work), then it is less likely to break, but the NATO is less likely to snag at all. Perhaps the 2 ring rhino is the answer.

Master

I guess the short answer for me is "I don't".

I find the NATO/Rhino/Zulu and even the regular U.S. military straps quite irritating, although I can appreciate that some might enjoy the daily strap-threading ritual. With all due respects to Eddie's fine products, I usually end up with a "Beefy" on my daily wear watches. The movable second nylon keeper is just perfect for taking care of the strap end without surgery or origami-style tactics. Beefies do fray around the holes quite easily and the buckle is only painted neither which bothers me too much.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA
    I guess the short answer for me is "I don't".

I find the NATO/Rhino/Zulu and even the regular U.S. military straps quite irritating, although I can appreciate that some might enjoy the daily strap-threading ritual. With all due respects to Eddie's fine products, I usually end up with a "Beefy" on my daily wear watches. The movable second nylon keeper is just perfect for taking care of the strap end without surgery or origami-style tactics. Beefies do fray around the holes quite easily and the buckle is only painted neither which bothers me too much.
    Funny you should say this ... I have a Beefy on my Traser, but it has been upgraded with a PVD two-piece-Rhino buckle from Eddie. No fraying despite the thick tang, by the way.

BTW, what's that "second keeper" reference supposed to mean? there is no strap end visible after the end goes into the first keeper. :twisted: :wink:

The main reason for my liking of the Beefy is that I get the advantage of a one-piece strap (ideal placement of watch and buckle), while the buckle has a springbar, and emergency separation from the watch strap is possible - a concept I have been late to see the redeeming virtue of, but now I do.

Another advantage is the fabric keeper which is more stealthy, and more practical, for a desk pilot/diver/race car driver than the double rings of a Rhino/Zulu.

Seeing that the Beefies appear to be discontinued ... perhaps this might be a market gap for Eddie to explore, especially with upgraded metalwork (buckle).
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")