closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TGV urban gentry limited edition Squale

TGV urban gentry limited edition Squale

Seems this pompous little muppet has blown smoke up the ass of Squale so much that they are doing a Ltd edition with him. Some will gush over it no doubt but any association with that sleazeball means it's a no from me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 5th October 2017 at 09:50.

Journeyman
    what no love for Tristano? lol lol

It's an odd colour combination. And the logo looks dire.

I can accept watches teaming up with really important figures (politicians, athletes, artists, etc.) and make a watch together but for a youtuber that does watch reviews that's kind of weird if you ask me...

I have nothing against him and I don't watch youtube videos about watches unless it's about repairing/restoring or if I need info and footage of a watch that I can't find pictures of on the internet.

I'm assuming the video at cause is this one ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=oufOIzzNOq4 Hope I'm allowed to post YT links.

He keeps saying "I designed this watch..." "I designed this dial..." but in all reality they just changed the colors and removed the calendar feature.

Their watches are really nice, overall, though.

Craftsman
    The guy is a non-entity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Wow! Kinda harsh comments. I initially found this guy rather annoying but over the past couple of years I've warmed to him. His enthusiasm is infectious and I'm struggling to see much to dislike about this piece.

I'd rather a watch company took advice from or linked up with an enthusiast rather than a celebrity.

TGV. WTF is he ?

Apparently he had a recent bust up with his old pals Federico and Theo and Harris (other watch YouTubers), lots of people suggesting he ditched them as he is planning on branching out into sales. Ooh the drama!

Craftsman
    I must admit I much prefer Federico, but I have nothing against TGV. His whole fake aristocratic airs are annoying, but besides that he does create some well produced videos. The watch is a bit of a miss for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Wow! Kinda harsh comments. I initially found this guy rather annoying but over the past couple of years I've warmed to him. His enthusiasm is infectious and I'm struggling to see much to dislike about this piece.

I'd rather a watch company took advice from or linked up with an enthusiast rather than a celebrity.
    Nah guys a total tool. He uses the number of subscribers he has to affect the market. Recent video he did illustrates this. "10 watches that will double in value" thus creating demand for those watches and yes you guessed it he has almost all in his collection. Now we are expected to take his "unbiased" views seriously. It's him as an individual I can't stomach. Not bothered one way or another about the watch.

Craftsman
    Never heard of him but then I don't really watch much on youtube other than the occasional car video. He seems fairly inoffensive though, as mentioned above at least he's a watch enthusiast.

The bloke seems enthusiastic and he is eclectic in his taste which I like.

Doesn't seem to pray at the alter of 'luxury' and status watches, giving credence to the idea that a watch has to cost a huge amount to be of any quality or worth. The kind of tripe Hodinkee comes out with largely is so pretentious it make my toes curl.

That Squale he helped to design looks pretty good.

Mitch

Master
    Possibly the most watched You Tube blog. He's ok, perfectly affable. I must confess I enjoy some watch blogs...especially Tim Mosso.

I have no idea who you're talking about.
    Can someone post pics of the watch? If I like it, I might buy it. I would like another Squale.

Video link was posted earlier in the thread.

It's not clear from the video / Squale link whether this is a core product or limited version.

http://www.squalewatches.com/Squale_...21-026-tgv.htm

I like the slate blue, I like the no-date, I like the trapezoidal quarter indices.
    I don't really like the crest, and think it would be better on the back, and I slightly fail to see why the deep red is used on the bezel.
    Not sure I like the blogger either, truth be told.
    I am also slightly bemused by the gentry tag.
    Dave

Master
    Orange+blue+red+YouTube=fail.

Master
    Not keen on the crest, nice touch with the non date and losing the Squale engraving.As said no logic having a bezel insert in that colour for diving.
    Last edited by barryw; 5th October 2017 at 12:58.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Video link was posted earlier in the thread.
    Found it, thanks.
    Funny the things that can put you off a watch...
    I know nothing about TGV Lion Shark (shame it's nothing to do with fast French trains) and don't dislike that logo but I would prefer it had either that or a Squale logo but not both.
    Similarly, I'm cool with a burgundy bezel or an orange minute hand but not both.

I buy too many watches that are 'nearly right' and end up selling them so I won't bother with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I like the slate blue, I like the no-date, I like the trapezoidal quarter indices.
    I don't really like the crest, and think it would be better on the back, and I slightly fail to see why the deep red is used on the bezel.
    Not sure I like the blogger either, truth be told.
    I am also slightly bemused by the gentry tag.
    Dave
    I'm pretty sure I have a Felsa-powered Squale with a bezel that's pretty much the same colour (but it's a Super 300, and the bezel is the older bakerlite-esque material with steel markers). The dial is sunburst gold, which probably isn't for everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    Not keen on the crest, nice touch with the non date and losing the Squale engraving.As said no logic having a bezel insert in that colour for diving.
    What's the problem with red bezels? As long as you have good contrast against the pip/triangle marker, you'll be fine (it'll basically start looking more maroon below 15m, and eventally blackish at real depth).

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Found it, thanks.
    Funny the things that can put you off a watch...
    I know nothing about TGV Lion Shark (shame it's nothing to do with fast French trains)
    Don't forget the hyphen in the 'Lion-Shark' - it's his nod to the Day-Date

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    It's not clear from the video / Squale link whether this is a core product or limited version.

http://www.squalewatches.com/Squale_...21-026-tgv.htm
    He says in the video it's a run of 100

Craftsman
    Like the red bezel against the dial colour and would have been interested, but having his family crest and the silly lion-shark name on the dial ruin it for me.

In the few vids I've watched, I've always found him to be a pretentious kn*b but seems to have a following for some reason. I'm sure he'll flog all the watches, so good luck to him.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    What's the problem with red bezels? As long as you have good contrast against the pip/triangle marker, you'll be fine (it'll basically start looking more maroon below 15m, and eventally blackish at real depth).
    My mistake your correct, I was thinking the markers were black!

+1. Awful in my eyes. The text on the Squale website says the dial colour is grey..

Master
    https://goo.gl/images/KQpgzZ

I'm on my phone, can't post the pic.

Blog Entries

TGV urban gentry limited edition Squale

What next a Speedmaster Archie Luxury special ?

Last edited by bond; 6th October 2017 at 20:08.

Master
    I like this guy, seems genuine and enthusiastic. But don't like his squale! He has a funny obsession with NATO essentially all watches weather a tool watch or a 34 mm vintage dress is put on a NATO

Sent from my Moto C Plus using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Possibly the most watched You Tube blog. He's ok, perfectly affable. I must confess I enjoy some watch blogs...especially Tim Mosso.
    Tim is by far the most knowledgeable watch guy, he seems to just about know everything on watches from intracies of vintage models to independents etc. A proper geek.

Most annoying would be Christan from Theo and harris, the guy bounces around like he had one too many blue smarties.

Sent from my Moto C Plus using Tapatalk

Master
    I don't understand why some people are so cruel in their remarks. He is just some guy trying to make a success of his YouTube channel. Where's the harm in that. He clearly loves watches. As for his background..who cares.

I don't really care for this watch, but I don't have any issues with TGV really. He gets a lot of hate for a variety of reasons, but really he just seems like 90% of watch enthusiasts, he just happened to get a YouTube channel together with some decent production to it and a loyal fanbase. I have no issues with him, I'll watch some of his videos on occasion too. They're not especially educational, but it's good to see an enthusiastic watch guy getting a bit of a following.

Hell, at least he's not Archie.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I don't understand why some people are so cruel in their remarks. He is just some guy trying to make a success of his YouTube channel. Where's the harm in that. He clearly loves watches. As for his background..who cares.
    It’s not his background though is it ... he has invented a background as a British aristocrat. A total fake who is impossible to take seriously, however enthusiastic he is about watches. If he just was himself there wouldn’t be a problem.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    What next a Speedmaster moonf****rs Archie Luxury special ?
    I would actually consider getting one if they launched it. "MOTFM, phooookers" edition with solid case back in a form of medallion with engraving showcasing his horns.
    Last edited by Sparjar; 6th October 2017 at 22:04.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    What next a Speedmaster moonfuckers Archie Luxury special ?

Yes! But this must have a caricaturish caseback, a la the ridiculous tag muhammad ali, of Archie's screaming face!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    It’s not his background though is it ... he has invented a background as a British aristocrat. A total fake who is impossible to take seriously, however enthusiastic he is about watches. If he just was himself there wouldn’t be a problem.

I've at least seen him show pics of his grandfather on horse back (where the crest and his pocket watch came from) and he's posted a few videos of when he's back in Blighty in his 'family home' which looks quite nice.

Obviously he hams the accent up at times but he's clearly not taking himself that seriously and probably keeps it up to annoy the YouTube haters. The same haters who are just so angry with their lives they have to watch people they "hate" and throw disgusting abuse at them to make themselves feel better.

Master
    Don't care for the colour combo of that watch. Not a fan of the vlogger either. He gives me the creeps because he reminds me of a guy i worked with once. I was warned he was one of the "sex people' which apparently meant he was into wife swapping and all that sort of stuff. He got sacked eventually, there were some very interesting things found on his computer.

Good luck to the geezer. Not my cup of tea, but he's done well for himself monetizing his hobby, which isn't bad considering he knows even less about watches than I do, which is saying something.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Haven't watched him in a while but I used to enjoy his videos. That Squale is perfectly decent IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    The same haters who are just so angry with their lives they have to watch people they "hate" and throw disgusting abuse at them to make themselves feel better.
    There seem to be a few ‘hate’ issues in the ‘disgusting abuse’ you have posted. Does it make you ‘feel better’? Why are you ‘so angry’ with life?

Back on topic, TGV has produced a derivative and ugly watch which has attracted comments to that effect on a watch forum. Not really ‘hate’.

Craftsman
    I've at least seen him show pics of his grandfather on horse back (where the crest and his pocket watch came from) and he's posted a few videos of when he's back in Blighty in his 'family home' which looks quite nice.

Obviously he hams the accent up at times but he's clearly not taking himself that seriously and probably keeps it up to annoy the YouTube haters. The same haters who are just so angry with their lives they have to watch people they "hate" and throw disgusting abuse at them to make themselves feel better.
    Are you THE James of James Mccabe fame?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Gv3jP4EU4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eECoKxK1dI

Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    Ah haha

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    There seem to be a few ‘hate’ issues in the ‘disgusting abuse’ you have posted. Does it make you ‘feel better’? Why are you ‘so angry’ with life?

Back on topic, TGV has produced a derivative and ugly watch which has attracted comments to that effect on a watch forum. Not really ‘hate’.
    I wasn't referring to the watch (which I don't like and it's a mismatch of colours) I meant your rant about his persona. Just seems to me people are so nasty, I don't really get it. I always try and write as I would if speaking to someone in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    Not following that joke really but carry on the mickey taking if it makes you feel like part of a pack.

Don't know who the ......he is....

Terrible advert , aimed at our US cousins Im guessing, hence the testosterone filled Rambo advert and the stupid name!

Ah, in response to this watch I see that Archie Luxury is bringing out his own luxury watch too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG0G...ature=youtu.be

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    Don't care for the colour combo of that watch. Not a fan of the vlogger either. He gives me the creeps because he reminds me of a guy i worked with once. I was warned he was one of the "sex people' which apparently meant he was into wife swapping and all that sort of stuff. He got sacked eventually, there were some very interesting things found on his computer.
    This ramble made me laugh.... Reminded me of a woman I used to know, made tenuous links and then went into so much detail it seemed she thought the links were substantial.... ;-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    He designed that? Not for me I'm afraid.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Not following that joke really but carry on the mickey taking if it makes you feel like part of a pack.
    Don't worry that's molto molto bene. Grazie grazie mille segnor James not Mccabe.