closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New watch "brands" on social media

New watch "brands" on social media

No sure how many others are social media users, but I can't help but notice the sheer volume of new watch "brands" that keep cropping up on my f'book and Instagram feeds; Baltic, Greyhours, AV-8, and half a dozen others have cropped up in the last month. One I saw yesterday was claiming to be the highest backed watch project on kickstarter, selling "luxury" watches for £127. Maybe some other these have been around for a while and I've only just noticed them or they have increased their social media presence recently.

Is there really a market for all these watch companies, in a market which I would think is pretty saturated by the fashion brands at the low end and the established houses at the top end?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    No sure how many others are social media users, but I can't help but notice the sheer volume of new watch "brands" that keep cropping up on my f'book and Instagram feeds; Baltic, Greyhours, AV-8, and half a dozen others have cropped up in the last month. One I saw yesterday was claiming to be the highest backed watch project on kickstarter, selling "luxury" watches for £127. Maybe some other these have been around for a while and I've only just noticed them or they have increased their social media presence recently.

Is there really a market for all these watch companies, in a market which I would think is pretty saturated by the fashion brands at the low end and the established houses at the top end?

I would think the answer is yes as long as they make the watches cheap enough - the average retail price of a watch is about £87 (or was last time I checked).

Blog Entries
    Using social media to advertise with it’s huge coverage allied to lower end pricing seems to work for them.

They know what you like so you're now a target.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm a member of a microbrand Facebook page. There are a staggering amount of people doing them now.

Master
    I love seeing the new micro's springing up. Impossible to maintain I would think, I guess 1 out of 100 might go on to actually become a decent name, but it is very interesting to see what little designs and innovations they come up with.
    I despise the generic "churn it out" lot who produce a dull as ditchwater watch but stick it on a jazzy NATO and expect people to start queuing.

Bear in mind that most of the consumers for these sub-£200 watches are the fashion crowd - the ones who scooped up Daniel Wellington and Michael Kors in their dozens because they were the "in" thing.
    Because we treat our watches like priceless heirlooms (and that's just the Timex lot...) it's quite easy to forget that for 95% of the market, they are disposable trinkets.

I'm a member of a FB Microbrand Group (probably the same one as Dave O'Sullivan above), and actually there's a lot of knowledge and quality coming from them.

I've had three come through my door recently - the Straton Syncro, the EMG DL63 panda and the Marloe Lomond Chronoscope. All are of very good quality for their respective prices and all have been created with unique designs.

That adds to a lovely dress watch from Erroyl a couple of years back too.

As with any market there's a lot of chaff but it's not too difficult to sort out the wheat. A bit of research and you can find decent reviews from respected review sites, customer reviews via facebook/twitter etc.

I'm very happy with what I've got so far and would say many Micros ARE worthy of your time and money. But if they're just posing on Insta etc. without any real substance anywhere else I'd probably say that's a decent red flag.

Journeyman
    Tbh if I was starting out I would be marketing like crazy and there’s no place like Social media

Gotta start somewhere otherwise there would be no variety

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    I'm a member of a FB Microbrand Group (probably the same one as Dave O'Sullivan above), and actually there's a lot of knowledge and quality coming from them.

I've had three come through my door recently - the Straton Syncro, the EMG DL63 panda and the Marloe Lomond Chronoscope. All are of very good quality for their respective prices and all have been created with unique designs.

That adds to a lovely dress watch from Erroyl a couple of years back too.

As with any market there's a lot of chaff but it's not too difficult to sort out the wheat. A bit of research and you can find decent reviews from respected review sites, customer reviews via facebook/twitter etc.

I'm very happy with what I've got so far and would say many Micros ARE worthy of your time and money. But if they're just posing on Insta etc. without any real substance anywhere else I'd probably say that's a decent red flag.
    The EMG DL63 is a lovely looking watch. Very similar to a seagull 1963. Do you have any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by jimyu View Post
    The EMG DL63 is a lovely looking watch. Very similar to a seagull 1963. Do you have any pics?
    Not many but this one is OK!

Craftsman
    Thank you it looks great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    Not many but this one is OK!

Yikes - I just watched a 'Black Mirror' episode involving large hairy spiders . . . . that picture gave me flash-backs! The watch is nice though you may want to make the image a bit smaller..

M

Craftsman
    Are we talking about what we used to call mushroom watches

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Yikes - I just watched a 'Black Mirror' episode involving large hairy spiders . . . . that picture gave me flash-backs! The watch is nice though you may want to make the image a bit smaller..

M
    I’m not sure how to do that!
    Sorry to have shocked!

What's the normal way of manufacturing cases for these micro brands? With the movements likely to be unchanged from a supplier such as ETA or Seagull, then would the quality of these would be easy to gauge as the model would be obvious?

I don't see any distinction between these guys large manufacturers who employ the same tactics, so long as the quality is correct.