closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A little help please.

Master

A little help please.

I've got the chance to buy a lap top, all the specs are in the photos below, but I freely admit that I'm clueless when it comes to computer specs and pricing, so don't know wether it's a good price or not. I can get it for £230
    Cheers.

seems like a decent deal that processor is an intel i5 equivalent.
    that laptop seems to still sell for over £300 with a 1tb hard drive

i assume its not for gaming ?
    if not should be fine for normal use

Master
    Yes, not for gaming. It's to replace a tired old desk top that's taking up space.

My only comment would be that disk. SSD makes such a difference I wouldn't consider anything without one personally.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    My only comment would be that disk. SSD makes such a difference I wouldn't consider anything without one personally.
    See, this is where I am clueless. SSD, solid state drive?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    See, this is where I am clueless. SSD, solid state drive?
    yeah solid state drive that would be a simple and cheap ish upgrade

the hard drive that comes with the laptop is the slower version of disk drives.

but in saying that i run a 10year old dell vostro and with a little house keeping it runs perfectly well

I'd buy it at that price...except that there's no mention of an operating system. Is Window included and, if it is, what version?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I'd buy it at that price...except that there's no mention of an operating system. Is Window included and, if it is, what version?
    It's running windows 10

I wouldn't buy anything with an HP label on it!

Lenovo and Dell generally better built and more reliable,

Craftsman
    Does it have any software ? and if so is it licenced?

What Condition and warranty? I assume it's second hand from a friend?

Either way, the HP Envy is a good consumer laptop, middle of the range performance, looks nice, good size and won't be slow for all round use.

I would want to be sure nothing is wrong with it. Parts/repair costs can be expensive. Otherwise, it looks like a good deal for what you want.

Hope that helps.

Master
    Well it's off my brother so if there is something wrong with it he's in trouble

I used to work for HP and it's a good machine, based on the Elite series which are the Enterprise Machines bought by multinational companies for their workers.

Not quite sure why you need a 2Tb drive, unless you have millions of photos or a massive film library, but if you do, then I suggest you get a NAS to back it all up. If its not the motherboard that goes bang, it will be the disc, but at least a motherboard will not lose your data.

It will run Win 10 perfectly well, but you might need to buy a copy of Office. Get one without the media off Ebay for less than a tenner. Much better than paying for Office365 IMHO.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Not quite sure why you need a 2Tb drive, unless you have millions of photos or a massive film library, but if you do, then I suggest you get a NAS to back it all up. If its not the motherboard that goes bang, it will be the disc, but at least a motherboard will not lose your data.

It will run Win 10 perfectly well, but you might need to buy a copy of Office. Get one without the media off Ebay for less than a tenner. Much better than paying for Office365 IMHO.
    I don't need 2TB but it's what it comes with. Regards Office, it has 365 on it at the moment, but that is coming off and my brother will install regular Office for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

Of course its 'better' getting something cheap but Office365 isn't exactly expensive. What's the legailty of these eBay copies?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Of course its 'better' getting something cheap but Office365 isn't exactly expensive. What's the legailty of these eBay copies?
    They are quasi legal - it will "include" a scrapped PC (extra delivery cost applies) so they can sell the OEM version which is meant for bundling with a new PC.

Its a decent spec sheet for the price, but to be frank I've had nothing but bad experiences with HP. This was 5 years ago mind, and the Envy line is supposedly the top of the range.

As others have mentioned the biggest bottleneck is the hard drive. In your unit, its mechanical and is simply the limiting factor. It can be replaced, plenty of Youtube videos about, so if you're feeling daring it'll take 20 minutes if you do it carefully.