closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Do you wear Radium watches?

Craftsman

Do you wear Radium watches?

I just got a really nice Omega from the 40's or 50's and I am sure its Radium on the hands and numbers. I would like it to be a daily wearer but have a slight niggle about the Radium. Anybody wear one on a regular basis? Do you now glow in the dark?

cheers

joff

Craftsman

Re: Do you wear Radium watches?

I had an old radium Omega that I sold recently. I've also got a few vintage pieces that are almost certainly radium.

I was also a bit worried like you but after some research concluded they're fine to wear.

The radiation given off is alpha radiation which will be stopped by the glass and can't penetrate the skin anyway. The only slight danger with radium is ingesting it so don't eat any of your dials.

In fact I wrote this blog post a while back:

When the first wristwatches were being made for WW1 and WW2, it was decided that glow in the dark dials would be very useful, for obvious reasons. The new wonder substance at the time was a radioactive element called radium, as discovered by the Curies in 1898. Given the huge lack of knowledge of the effects of radiation at the time, radium was used for everything from pepping up soft drinks to bathing in for therapeutic effects.

So, by combining glue with radium, a man called William Hammer created undark, a glow in the dark paint. Hundreds of young women were hired to paint aircraft dials and watches. They used to point their paintbrush by licking it, and some even painted their teeth and fingernails for fun. This meant they ingested a huge amount of radium. Radium is a bone seeker which once ingested attached to bone material and destroys it. Suddenly, many of the women became very ill, often with jaw problems and many died from it. You can read more about this tragedy http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=660.

There are still hundreds of thousands of radium watches out there, all still highly radioactive. The risk from wearing a radium watch is miniscule but they should be treated very carefully when opened and only professionals should try and repair / remove the paint. The danger is really only from ingesting the paint rather than the small amount of radiation that will get through the glass.

Grand Master

As wicheda says, the radiation cannot pass either the case of glass & unless you decide that you want to eat the watch you're safe.
    /vince ..

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    As wicheda says, the radiation cannot pass either the case of glass & unless you decide that you want to eat the watch you're safe.
    Damn, I'm going to have to go back to lightbulbs and razor blades. They have no substance at all!! :twisted:

Quote Originally Posted by doug darter
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    Damn, I'm going to have to go back to lightbulbs and razor blades. They have no substance at all!! :twisted:
    :lol: :lol:
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries

If you are in doubt, buy one of Eddie's................no radiations :D .

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman

Thanks for the replies. So, its safe to wear it but if you have to eat a watch, go for luminova or in a dire emergency, maybe tritium, as it should be safe by now. :D

Master

I have a radium watch from the 50's and wear it a lot. :)

Master

Hi!

I thought you might find these links interesting.....

http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/luminous.htm

http://hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/42-6.htm

Regards

tim

Master

radium
    It's meant to be fine to wear in the watch as the sum of the radiations over time is not too high according to test. Best not to play about with it ,and take care if opening up a watch such as that with radium.

It seems there is so much that the govt does not insist on special disposal, otherwise I would think that they would arrange a special repsitory. Or perhaps not :|

AP:)

Master

Don't forget to forewarn any watchmaker though - although you would hope they know their stuff.

Master

There was a fact based show out not too long ago on the History Channel I think about the Radium Girls and watches. It was very interesting and what the company did to them was intolerable.

Grand Master

I don't have an issue with it - figure I'm probably picking up more radiation from other sources, especially given the frequency with which I fly...

Craftsman

yeh till my nads fall off on telly" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS5PEPQw ... re=related :bounce:

Don't have one, but I wouldn't hesitate to wear one if I did. Like they said, tiny dosage and stopped by the crystal or caseback anyway.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

apparently, the building in which the girls worked was demolished and the ground where it stood is still terribly radioactive to this day as there was so much of the stuff used :(

nasty stuff :evil:

john...

Bad news

"During the 1930s it was found that workers' exposure to radium by handling luminescent paints caused serious health effects which included sores, anemia and bone cancer. This use of radium was stopped soon afterward. This is because radium is treated as calcium by the body, and deposited in the bones, where radioactivity degrades marrow and can mutate bone cells. The litigation and ultimate deaths of five "Radium Girl" employees who had used radium-based luminous paints on the dials of watches and clocks had a significant impact on the formulation of occupational disease labor law."

VERY BAD NEWS:

"Radium is over one million times more radioactive than the same mass of uranium. Its decay occurs in at least seven stages; the successive main products have been studied and were called radium emanation or exradio (this is radon), radium A (polonium), radium B (lead), radium C (bismuth), etc. Radon is a heavy gas and the later products are solids. These products are themselves radioactive elements, each with an atomic weight a little lower than its predecessor.

Radium loses about 1% of its activity in 25 years, being transformed into elements of lower atomic weight with lead being the final product of disintegration."

:shock: Wow, I was not aware of the low decay rate: more than 30% activity after 60 years!

:? :? :? I was expecting to post some more positive news.... :? :? :?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz
    apparently, the building in which the girls worked was demolished and the ground where it stood is still terribly radioactive to this day as there was so much of the stuff used :(

nasty stuff :evil:

john...
    But everyone knew the stuff was harmless. The women even painted their nails and their teeth to surprise their boyfriends when the lights went out. They all had a good laugh, then got back to work, painting a glow-in-the-dark radium compound on the dials of watches, clocks, altimeters and other instruments.
    How sad :(

http://www.runet.edu/~wkovarik/envhist/ ... mersleague