closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watchless

Apprentice

Watchless

I’m a newbie on here.

I’ve been reading a couple of posts in the forum and just had one or two general questions to ask.

HEN12Y, reading your post “The General Economy and Watch Prices” I just wonder what price range you would consider the low end, mid and high end of the watch market to be?

What kind of watches do the enthusiasts like you guys on this forum go for? Do you go for Military watches or brands like Tag, Omega, Breitling etc? And do you buy new or mainly used?

I’m curious to know how much you spend on watches when buying (how you can afford) and how often you buy/sell or trade with someone else for a different watch?

I haven’t worn a watch for a number of years and have had to rely on a mobile phone to tell me the time since 2003 (I was late joining the mobile phone revolution due to health worries I was overly cautious).

What tips can you offer to just get a decent watch without breaking the bank?

The last watch I had was a Casio chronograph 200m divers watch with brown leather straps. I must have got this in the early 90’s or late 80's. It was digital but had a funny unique display with bars that counted up and down the seconds. Had timers and lap countdown timers etc.

What would you class as a “proper” watch and what would you class as junk to avoid?

The reason I stopped wearing that was because the straps only lasted probably 6 months to 18 months if I was lucky before they or the little things holding them on to the watch needed replacing. Cost of sending it in to Casio UK and getting replacement straps, new battery and seals etc I thought was getting a little too high, so the last time it needed replacing I simply didn’t bother and it has sat in one of my drawers since.

I’ve had a few other watches over the years but nothing major or special mainly budget watches or geek watches.

Can anyone tell me what British and/or English watch companies there are out there as I am not too clued up about different watches and where they are made, I just know that a lot are made in Switzerland.

What price would you say you have to pay to get a decent professional looking watch? I think the kind of watch I’d be interested in would be one that doesn’t have a battery, one that you wind up manually I prefer these (though that’s not too important if it has a battery and isn’t manual).

I also like watches that have a black face with date function and steel bracelet type straps. Is it possible to get a good watch without breaking the bank or would I have to fork out some serious moolah or try and find a used bargain?

I have posted a few picture links below of the style of watch I like but obviously can’t afford these ones. Mainly I guess it’s just the Speedmaster kind of design nearly always silver coloured watch (steel) with black dial.

http://tinyurl.com/4cmzau
    http://tinyurl.com/4zqwa6
    http://tinyurl.com/4328xf
    http://tinyurl.com/43qsel
    http://tinyurl.com/4jegbx
    http://tinyurl.com/53zr47
    http://tinyurl.com/3vuuzg
    http://tinyurl.com/43aer6
    http://tinyurl.com/4crgv6
    http://tinyurl.com/5xobtr

I think this one below is slightly different but fantastic, though so is the price tag.
    http://www.timespot.com/module-Reviews- ... cle-2.html

So if anyone can help answer any of my questions and give me ideas on how to get a good watch at a low price I’d appreciate it. Even just get me educated and up to speed in the world of watches would be great or pointing me some place so I can learn more.

Thanks,

John

Master

Re: Watchless

Welcome! Sounds like the fun is just beginning for you, I suggest you stay away from watches whilst you still can! :D

I think defining watches as Low/Mid/High is probably a bit subjective. A mid range watch to me might be low end to someone else. As for the types people go for, you'll see pretty much everything on here, though I would say people tend to keep their distance from the fashion brands/styles.

The good news is that you can get a very nice watch for very little money, for example our host has some superb pieces http://www.timefactors.co.uk/precista.htm and I'll be picking up a PRS50 at some point this year! I would also recommend the Seiko monsters (black or orange) as they're a lot of watch for the money. You'll also get a lot more watch for your money if you buy used and the sales forum here is a good place to to start.

I hope you find something nice!

Master

Welcome

As mentioned above the Precista watches that Eddie (our host) sells, are excellent value, such as the the PRS18 which can be had with an automatic movement.

Also this Seiko for example, which is one of my favourites and can be had for about £100 or so

Both brands in my opinion offer great value for money, and you can go up and up from there as you wish, depending on your £££.

Cheers
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by john10001

What tips can you offer to just get a decent watch without breaking the bank?

John
    Hi, and welcome. Depends on the size of your bank ... you've been posting all sorts of priced watches.

By the way, I'd like to swap brains with you (for a week). :lol:

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Master

Hello John and welcome to the forum. May I assume you have already had a look at our host Eddie's site. All of his own brands, Precista etc offer fantastic quality and value for money. As do the range of Seiko's he sells, you won't find many of these models on the UK High St.

As to what makes a good watch and how much to spend? You may find that these can change the longer you are a member here!
    My advice would be to start with something with a military or aviator dial, classic design and easy to read.
    Spend some time here and you will begin to learn which brands (some of which you will never have heard of) have a good reputation. I would suggest buying something from a watch company rather than a fashion company.
    Whether to go for Automatic, Handwound or Quartz. Well I find it best to have at least one of each....

Most of all, buy something that you think you will enjoy. None of my watches are recognized by non WIS friends but I don't think that matters.

A warning though, there is always something more expensive to aspire to! There are some amazing photographers among the members here. Their pictures of beautiful timepieces make you want to buy them. I see a speedmaster and a MK-XVI have already caught your attention. One day I will own these...

Have fun here.

TTFN

Dave

Master

Hello John and welcome. If you have a budget in mind then state it and you will not miss suggestions. However before buying it is better to decide what style YOU like otherwise you may end up with something you'll enjoy for a very short period or not at all.

Craftsman

id buy a clocik! 8dayer¬ :bounce: :bigsmurf: :albino: :blackeye: :albino: :bom: best ones flew!

Craftsman

jinko bungee! :bounce: my face snmilry

Grand Master

Hello & welcome to the forum. I've nothing to add to what's already been said regarding 'affordable' watches. As for ones to avoid, again that is subjective, but would avoid like the plague any watch 'company' that advertises in magazines with statements like 'RRP £500, yours for £100, that's a saving of ..', e.g. Klaus Kobec & their ilk.
    /vince ..

Thomas Reid

Welcome.

There are all sorts of watches out there. Some I can admire, but wouldn't think of wearing. Some I wear, but aren't particularly interesting. Some that I can't afford, and wish I could. Some that I can't afford, but wouldn't wear at any price. But lots at reasonable prices, for just about any value of "reasonable".

Some folks are looking for the watch to end all watches: mechanical, great time keeper, never needs servicing, unscratchable, glows like a radioactive turnip, ....
    Some are looking for one they can get for a tenner and sell for a thousand.
    Each of which is an interesting goal.

In general, I think of them as expressions of bounded design (i.e., part of a craft -- where the aesthetic, design and other features are bounded by the requirement that they perform a certain function). I keep my eye out for "of course" watches. These are ones you look at (inside and out) and say "of course". And there are, I think, such watches at various prices, with no particular limit to the number there could be, or the styles they come in.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Banned

:) welcome

Hi John and welcome. Be careful as watch collecting can become obsessive :D If you want a great looking everyday beater the Seiko SKX031 is a great watch without spending a lot - £80 'ish. Just change the cheap bracelet for a solid oyster from Yobokies for £18 and it becomes a real quality piece which can be customized too.Heres a pic. of mine

and later on a rubber strap

Of course there are other good watches to choose from and the sales corner, and Eddies site is a great place to pick up a bargain :) Enjoy yourself anyway and we'll see you around.

Regards

Rod

Welcome. All of the above, and take your time about it. :)
    F.T.F.A.

Welcome :bounce:

Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by wali
    jinko bungee! :bounce: my face snmilry
    :D :D :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken:

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    I keep my eye out for "of course" watches. These are ones you look at (inside and out) and say "of course". And there are, I think, such watches at various prices, with no particular limit to the number there could be, or the styles they come in.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Is it me or have you gone all Pottinger on us? I've seen many watches but I have never seen an "of course" ...

... or do you mean "off course"? :P

Please explain.

john

I just wonder what price range you would consider the low end, mid and high end of the watch market to be?

John
    Interesting question and of course it all depends ...

Very High: I haven’t seen a watch here over £10K here so let’s call that the ceiling.

High: Around £5K

Mid-High: £2-3K

Mid:
    £1500

Low: Below £1K

Mid-Low: £500

Beaters: Below £200

Very Low: Below £100

(Ducking) :blackeye:

Comments welcomed.

john

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    I keep my eye out for "of course" watches. These are ones you look at (inside and out) and say "of course". And there are, I think, such watches at various prices, with no particular limit to the number there could be, or the styles they come in.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Is it me or have you gone all Pottinger on us? I've seen many watches but I have never seen an "of course" ...

... or do you mean "off course"? :P

Please explain.

john
    Sometimes you have a puzzle, and just can't get it, then the penny drops, and you think, "Of course. That's how it works". Some watches just hold together properly, so when you see one you think "Of course. That's how it should be done."

Best wishes,
    Bob

Sometimes you have a puzzle, and just can't get it, then the penny drops, and you think, "Of course. That's how it works". Some watches just hold together properly, so when you see one you think "Of course. That's how it should be done."

Best wishes,
    Bob
    On the one side you are talking about the 'AHA moment' that you are having ... and on the other, how something 'should be' done.

Interesting.

The way I do it ... I tend to carry 'a template' and then I look for variations.

john

IMHO each individual will have his/her absolute ceiling on what to spend on one watch. This I would (personally) say is the high end and position mid,low etc. at appropriate price points from there downwards. I appreciate that others, as abraxas before, will have different opinions as to where the ceiling is. I will add that for me it's not just a question of affordability but what one gets for the money. :)
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master

Very High: I haven’t seen a watch here over £10K here so let’s call that the ceiling.
    Mid: £1500
    A good breakdown, however I hate the term beater - to me watches are to be worn, dings/dents/scratches are par for the course. The only exception I make to this is that I'll not scuba dive with my Speedy, i.e. I'll not wear a watch for something it is not designed for .. so, for me, there's no value to the term.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    IMHO each individual will have his/her absolute ceiling on what to spend on one watch. This I would (personally) say is the high end and position mid,low etc. at appropriate price points from there downwards. I appreciate that others, as abraxas before, will have different opinions as to where the ceiling is. I will add that for me it's not just a question of affordability but what one gets for the money. :)
    This is getting scary, as I find myself (once again) in agreement with yourself.
    /vince ..

VinceR wrote-

"This is getting scary, as I find myself (once again) in agreement with yourself."

I agree Vince. :wink:
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    ...... I will add that for me it's not just a question of affordability but what one gets for the money. :)
    If that was true then we would all be wearing Seikos. In fact watches have a way of seducing you to spend more. It's emotional rather than logical ... like women. :wink:

I have discovered that most WISes tend to play around their own ceiling and from that position arises the question of either a few better ones or more lower-end ones ...

Imagine what many of you could have if you had to put your collection into ‘one watch’. :twisted:

john

Mid:
    £1500

That sounds pretty good to me. I was thinking about this today, and before I saw your list, I think I would have put the mid-range at about the £1K level, but I can't argue with your judgement.

Imagine what many of you could have if you had to put your collection into ‘one watch’.
    Working on it, working on it.... Down to five....

Imagine what many of you could have if you had to put your collection into ‘one watch’. :twisted:
    I keep thinking that, but then I do enjoy the watches I have.

Master

Welcome John :) dont rush, spend a bit of time reading on here and you'll soon know what you want

karl

Master

I just wonder what price range you would consider the low end, mid and high end of the watch market to be?

John
    Interesting question and of course it all depends ...

Mid:
    £1500

Comments welcomed.

john
    I like your breakdown there and think I would agree with it, though I probably wouldn't have broken it down into so many categories! :) The breakdown I had seen before was this http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/brands.shtml at the bottom of the page. Though this seems to break it down by brand name and its associated image rather than by price. Maybe ranking by brand name is more appropriate these days with 'image' being everything. That way, the likes of Sinn and Damasko wouldn't be defined as 'Low End' watches as well! :) :D (I know the original question referred to price range as opposed to brand names but I just thought I would throw this out there! :D )

Journeyman

so we're all in agreement then that something like a stowa MO is a low end watch? :D

totally flawed question to my mind, isn't it odd how all the obscenely priced watches (that are perceived as the best you can buy) come from the brands that spend the most on advertising and sponsorship. does anyone think that sponsoring the us masters say does not have an effect on the watch price?

oh and welcome to the forum John, check out the Seiko black monster for a quality watch for not a lot of pennies. why on earth do they not sell their best watches over here?

:shock: So I am a mid/mid-high WIS?
    No, it is worse: since I started with all this I have gone from being beater to low to mid low at a rythm of six months per step....