closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seadweller 126600 43mm- views?

Seadweller 126600 43mm- views?

I've had an email come in regarding the new seadweller 43mm red writing for collection Friday, but I'm not sure it's all it's cracked up to be. I currently wear a sd4000 as my daily beater and it is by far one of my favourites. Would I gain anything by adding a larger case size and some red writing? I haven't seen one in the flesh so can't compare to the sd4000 in terms of wrist presence etc, any of you guys had both and have any preference?

Master
    Ive got the SD43 and am loving it - I would add that I have rather large wrists at a chunky 8.5" so suits me perfectly, Ive since sold my BLNR and my 116655 as by comparison they just felt really small on my wrist - its just an opinion but I think the larger size is perfect for me but a friend has one on a 6.5" writs and I think it looks oversized on him but would he do a cash swop for the blnr no way :( and I had to pay a £1000 over list - that said I love it
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 1st November 2017 at 17:25.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Ive got the SD43 and am loving it - I would have that I have rather large wrists at a chunky 8.5" so suits me perfectly, Ive since sold my BLNR and my 116655 as by comparison they just felt really small on my wrist - its just an opinion but I think the larger size is perfect for me but a friend has one on a 6.5" writs and I think it looks oversized on him but would he swop for the blnr no way :( and I had to pay a £1000 over list - that said I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I had the SD400C last year and thought it wore small, only kept it for a few weeks and sold it.
    I’ve now had my 126600 for 4 months and love it, doesn’t wear massively bigger, just enough to be “right”.
    I paid over list for mine and haven’t regretted it

Agree with all the above, it is a perfect size unless you've got stick wrists.

Just buy it, try it for a week or two, if you don't like it sell it here.... you may get a drink or three out of it and you'll make someone happy too!

Master
    I have one coming and size is great. I have a 42mm polar and find the 40mm sub's etc too small even though my wrist is a little girly.
    Don't like it then sell it and it would sell above RRP.

I think il go for it just to see what the fuss is about and to try the larger case size. Hopefully they don't want to keep warranty cards for a year in case I do wish to pass it on. Wondering if the dial will sing a bit more than the sdc4000 what with the red writing...

Blog Entries
    Keep the SD4K - sell the SD43 for profit
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 1st November 2017 at 19:24.

Had mine for 2 weeks and have to say loving it despite me only having standard size wrists it carries its size very well
    go for it !

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I think il go for it just to see what the fuss is about and to try the larger case size. Hopefully they don't want to keep warranty cards for a year in case I do wish to pass it on. Wondering if the dial will sing a bit more than the sdc4000 what with the red writing...
    That's what I would do.

But - Just because they keep the warranty card........ doesn't mean it has no warranty. Don't get hung up on that (or the stickers).

Prediction? Sounds like you are a fan of the 'understated look' of the Rolex you already have, and although you call it a "beater" - seems like it is just the watch that you prefer to wear as much as you can. Reckon you will keep and wear the SD4000.

Al

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Had mine for 2 weeks and have to say loving it despite me only having standard size wrists it carries its size very well
    go for it !

That’s what I call a wrist shot - excellent SD series. Would like to see them off wrist as well perhaps?

Martyn.

Just realised the sd43 has the newer movement with 70hour power reserve. Now I'm getting excited!

Master
    I saw my first one in the metal today.....jeweller on side of royal exchange has one....yours for £12,950 . Was next to a DSSD and I had to keep looking from one to the other to spot the difference.

I can't see how these are commanding over list, watchfinder have 10 in stock! Seems plenty around. Plus for me to get a call on one they must really have plenty to go around!

Too big for me. Once the newness wears off these will be like the SD4K was,availability and desirability wise. IMO.

Master
    SD4K looks better to my eyes and just don't like Cyclops on a Seadweller.
    Worth a go though I would have thought.

It would be interesting if Rolex released a newer version in the next year or two perhaps with a slightly smaller case and no cyclops. That would be the one to have.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Too big for me. Once the newness wears off these will be like the SD4K was,availability and desirability wise. IMO.
    Quite possibly, but I don't reckon that'll be the case.

The sd4k was never hard to get even when it was new and around £5k,it has only become desirable when it was discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It would be interesting if Rolex released a newer version in the next year or two perhaps with a slightly smaller case and no cyclops. That would be the one to have.
    You mean like the sd4000 but with red writing lol

Can’t recall who said it but

It’s like a large 1680 Red Sub

Which is a good observation

You mean like the sd4000 but with red writing lol
    Noooo.

I was hoping for something like this.

Blue writing, blue lume and blue minute markers. This was the predicted release before that red thing appeared. I can but hope that it is the next one in line.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    go for it !
    I favour the one worn on the most proximal part of the forearm. What reference is that one?

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I favour the one worn on the most proximal part of the forearm. What reference is that one?
    No idea what proximal means, but I assume that you are referring to the 1665 Great White.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Quite possibly, but I don't reckon that'll be the case.

The sd4k was never hard to get even when it was new and around £5k,it has only become desirable when it was discontinued.
    Correct
    I bought one just before price rise last year for £6200(I think RRP was 6800-6900) at a Rolex AD.
    Seems crazy now.
    Cleverly I traded it for the same price-Idiot.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Don't get to admiring it too much unless you have deep pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Noooo.

I was hoping for something like this.

Blue writing, blue lume and blue minute markers. This was the predicted release before that red thing appeared. I can but hope that it is the next one in line.
    Isn't this the sd4000 with blue writing instead of red?

Or a very bright blue light being shown on it ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

It's a great watch, buy one.

WF only have 1 in stock!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Or a very bright blue light being shown on it ;)
    So how do you explain red print turning to blue and white minute markers also turning to blue, a trick of the light perhaps. This image did appear in an article in advance of Baselworld. Maybe someone is very good with photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    It's a great watch, buy one.

WF only have 1 in stock!
    How do you know that. Only one listed at a time, but unless someone told you...

Last year they had a Snoopy listed, but the guy told me at the time they had 4 in stock. As one sells the next one gets listed and the holding stock has a big impact on the buy in price.

They apparently have 300 Speedy Tuesdays, all the ones listed here that didn't sell

Craftsman
    Been wearing mine every day since I got it ... great watch and imho doesn’t wear big.

Here’s a pic next to my matte 666

I just can't get past the cyclops.

Do we know of any examples/photos where someone has knocked the cyclops off because I love the touch of red and can live with the size.

Fondly referred to as the ''sealump''.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by hot66 View Post
    Been wearing mine every day since I got it ... great watch and imho doesn’t wear big.

Here’s a pic next to my matte 666

16660 Matte beauty and Uber rare these days nice

Craftsman
    I could not take to mine.

It felt like an oversized submariner.

I paid 10k grey for it and I so much wanted to like it but just was not for me.

That said I do think the look of the watch is fantastic.

Managed to recoup 9.8k back on fleabay so wasn't a too expensive exercise.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just realised the sd43 has the newer movement with 70hour power reserve. Now I'm getting excited!
    That's the only bit that would attract me to the model. About time the PR started to increase.

I would get it and see what you think, wither way you won't loose out if you wish to punt it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawbreaker5000 View Post
    I could not take to mine.

It felt like an oversized submariner. .
    Funny isn't it, that's exactly what made it so appealing to me. I owned a vintage red sub and it was too precious for me to wear, I owned a 16610 which was great until it started to feel too small, I owned a Black ceramic sub but it just felt like it was too regular.... so for me, a pumped up modern red sub was exactly what I'd been waiting for.

Craftsman
    Funny isn't it, that's exactly what made it so appealing to me. I owned a vintage red sub and it was too precious for me to wear, I owned a 16610 which was great until it started to feel too small, I owned a Black ceramic sub but it just felt like it was too regular.... so for me, a pumped up modern red sub was exactly what I'd been waiting for.

Yes that's what appealed to me.

My sub just started to feel exactly the same just a bit run of the mill.

That's why I paid over list as I had so much hope that it would be the answer to that feeling.

But after a couple of weeks wearing it I then had a week wearing my sub and I couldn't go back to the seadweller.

Master
    Mine had to go back to Rolex for a bezel realignment (7 weeks and still waiting)

But I can't wait to get it back, it's a lovely thing on the wrist..

Master
    Thats exactly the same for me - IO felt my sub weas too common and too small and so the sd43 ticks that box perfrectly

Master
    I think the simple truth is that whether you like it or hate it, it is destined to be a classic. Anyone buying it and who holds onto it, is onto a winner.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I think the simple truth is that whether you like it or hate it, it is destined to be a classic. Anyone buying it and who holds onto it, is onto a winner.
    Why do you say that? It might well be correct, but equally collectors might feel it marked the point where the rot set in.
    If I had to make a guess...and it is inevitably a guess..I'd put my cash on the Milgaus GV. It tends to be the less popular stuff which gets the benefit of changing fashion. Remember, Rolex struggled to sell the early Daytona...
    Anyway, it will be fun to see.

IMO it is a classic rolex look, plus you have the fact it was released as a 50th anniversary sea dweller. We have of course all seen what has happened to LV sub prices.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Why do you say that? It might well be correct, but equally collectors might feel it marked the point where the rot set in.
    If I had to make a guess...and it is inevitably a guess..I'd put my cash on the Milgaus GV. It tends to be the less popular stuff which gets the benefit of changing fashion. Remember, Rolex struggled to sell the early Daytona...
    Anyway, it will be fun to see.
    Yes I am only crystal balling but look at the facts.

The SD43 is a true divers watch and it has a really beefy bracelet and the 43mm size makes it more readable underwater and the cyclops makes the date more readable also.

You can buy it, slap it on your wrist and you could jump in the atlantic to search the remains of the Titanic if you wanted.

We all know in reality, most Seadwellers go no deeper than a swimming people but it is just a sought after big boys toy. My watch is tougher than your watch etc etc.

I got a Zenith Daytona which in practical terms is totally useless, but I could sell it as quick as snapping my fingers because of its history. Rolex and collecting is a weird old world.

Master
    All speculation of course; but I would point to the biggest rises, for the Daytona. And a key feature of the Daytona is that it has avoided the whole ' maxi case' route. It is still a medium-sized, quite slim watch. Which is what makes it so pleasant to wear. Far more pleasant than the 43mm , for me at least.
    I think it would be unwise to be too confident about future tastes. We can't be sure there will be a significant market for mechanical watches. We just can't know, or we could all get rich.

Seadweller 126600 43mm- views?

I think it's a real shame they discounted the SD4000 so quickly. 40mm case, crucially with a more tapered, 'classic' lug shape, modern clasp, fully gradated bezel etc. A really stunning watch, for those 'who know'.

Whilst the SD43 is doubtless a top quality watch, the larger case really doesn't do it for me. At least the DSSD is about pushing the Submariner concept as far as is reasonable, this SD43 just seems to me to be a Sea-dweller for the more ostentatious individual. I also don't think red writing looks all that, though I know there's a historical reference there. I must be in a minority of those who like the Cyclops, so not all bad.
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 2nd November 2017 at 17:41.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    All speculation of course; but I would point to the biggest rises, for the Daytona. And a key feature of the Daytona is that it has avoided the whole ' maxi case' route. It is still a medium-sized, quite slim watch. Which is what makes it so pleasant to wear. Far more pleasant than the 43mm , for me at least.
    I think it would be unwise to be too confident about future tastes. We can't be sure there will be a significant market for mechanical watches. We just can't know, or we could all get rich.
    Yes I cannot disagree with you but whilst 40mm is fine for a Daytona, a 43mm watch with a cyclops is a lot more functional deep down in the murky depths of the sea. I would never normally wear anything over 40mm as I just don't like anything bigger, but I would make an exception for the SD43 and I suspect lots of collectors will as well. It is the ultimate SS tool watch and that's what sets it apart.

Sd43

I haven’t seen one in the flesh but I really don’t like the cyclops or the red writing, reminds me of when the old British car manufactures thought they could make there cars more appealing in the American market by just adding more chrome.

When I finally got to try one it was way to large fir my 6.75 wrist. I had my 1680 on at the time and in comparison (imo) it was just too shiny & bloated in size.......needless to say I cancelled my order and used the deposit to buy something nice for my wife!! As others have said, if you are not sure then buy it, try it for a couple of weeks and if you don't like it then you can always sell it on.

I wear a 16600, 116600 and a 126600 amongst other things.
    Like them all a lot. Probably my favourite is the 116600 - for me a perfect size and shape, great lume, love the bezel and maxi plots.
    I have a 7”wrist and whilst the 126600 isn’t ridiculously big, it doesn’t feel quite as perfect as the 40mm versions to me. That said I’m wearing it now and still think it’s great!