closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Front doors

Front doors

We have a plastic composite front door that has seen better days - splits and seals not good. Has anyone tried a solid oak door and frame? are they any good and any recommendations?

Grand Master
    Wood will drive you mad as it changes with th elements, personally I would buy Solidor Composite, as solid and heavy as Oak but tougher
    RIAC

Rock door , one of the best on the market when I was looking.best thermal and security ,even the police tried to stop them being sold because they couldnt get in the houses in time to make an arrest
    Last edited by peter2704; 11th August 2017 at 22:21.

Master
    I've got a solid oak door, painting it is a pain. I use Dulux 10 year, something, oil based, but I still seem to redo it every 2nd or 3rd year. Also, the door step and edges etc get worn and chipped before that.

I still think it looks nicer than a composite, although I'd get a good composite next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Wood will drive you mad as it changes with th elements, personally I would buy Solidor Composite, as solid and heavy as Oak but tougher
    I completely agree with this. I got a lovely solidor a few months ago and it's fantastic especially for heat retention.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    We have the same knocker!

Instagram @blowersmayfair
    RIAC

Just got a quote for a new back door and front door both in solid oak. We don't have a choice as the house is a listed thatched cottage and we have to replace like for like. Well the existing doors are actually fake oak and knackered but the local authority insists we have to put in real oak for the new doors. Anyway, the quote was £4,500 for the 2 doors. That was a surprise, expected half of that maximum. In the good old days local authorities could insist on expensive materials for listed properties but grants were available to help pay. The grants are long gone but they still insist that you go for the best, most expensive option of course.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    We have the same knocker!

Instagram @blowersmayfair
    A pair!! Ohhh how I love a pair of round dangling knockers!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by frogspawn View Post
    We have a plastic composite front door that has seen better days - splits and seals not good. Has anyone tried a solid oak door and frame? are they any good and any recommendations?
    I bought a solid oak which looked great but was a pain in the rectum to look after. Also drafty.

A few years ago, I bought a multi-lock UVPC door and it does what it says on the tin.

But the oak door looked better.

Master
    We had a RockDoor fitted a couple of years ago. It is excellent http://www.rockdoor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    Rock door , one of the best on the market when I was looking.best thermal and security ,even the police tried to stop them being sold because they couldnt get in the houses in time to make an arrest
    My friend is a Clerk of Works for a local Housing Association. They have stopped specifying Rock doors because the Police do too much damage to brickwork trying to get through the doors

Blog Entries
    Just had an oak veeer over wood door and frame fitted to replace an old wood door and frame which were looking a bit tatty. Also new door has multipoint locking for security and new glass panel next to door is frosted.

Wood can be a pain to maintain I know but it's an old property which wouldn't look right with a plastic door.

So would plastic or wood suit your property is the first thing to consider.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 12th August 2017 at 14:51.

I would try and avoid solid oak if I were you, they change quite a bit with the weather. I've just fitted a solidor front door, it was £1400 all in, toughened glass all round and the brand new AV3 lockset (the first in the country apparently) and I fitted it myself.

Can you get an oak faced composite door?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Can you get an oak faced composite door?
    Just checked with carpenter and ours is oak veneer over wood.

Thanks for all the input, house is 30 years old so maybe oak door will not really work. Wary of composite as the present one has several splits in it, presumably caused by the weather and does not seal very well. Still looking, Rock seems a good company and don't care if the police damage the bricks trying to get in as long as it keeps the scrotes out.

Master
    I remember growing up we had heavy wooden doors on our 200 year old cottage, and the doors were constantly swelling in the wet and you always had to really pull them open and shoulder them closed. I remember my dad forever planing and sanding them so they wouldn't rub so much, and my mum forever painting and staining them!

All in all, I just remember them being a pain!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Having fitted lots of doors over the years as the other posters said wood will drive you mad swelling in winter/wet weather and shrinkage in summer months then joints open up.

Go composite fit and forget

Master

Hi all, bit of a bump for this thread. As you can see I have a lovely solid wood front door which I've neglected for a couple of years now. Does anyone have any recommendations for treatments to bring it back to life? I know it needs a good sand down and clean first, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to use for the best finish. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

Hi all, bit of a bump for this thread. As you can see I have a lovely solid wood front door which I've neglected for a couple of years now. Does anyone have any recommendations for treatments to bring it back to life? I know it needs a good sand down and clean first, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to use for the best finish. Thanks
    Ring wood finishes direct for advice 01303487978
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Many thanks, theyve already said they can help and I have sent them the picture. Weirdly they're in folkestone where I was born and bought up(!)

Many thanks, theyve already said they can help and I have sent them the picture. Weirdly they're in folkestone where I was born and bought up(!)
    Great firm, great service

Oh dear. Just opened this thread.....I was content with the white UPVC door, up until about 10 mins ago....sigh.

Master
    Great firm, great service
    Wow, you're not wrong. Sent my pic over and got a response an hour later with everything I need and instructions. Excellent prices (way cheaper than Amazon!) and free next day delivery.

Cheers Dave. Really appreciate the recommendation

We went for custom made acoya. Multi-locking, fully draft proofed and it has been excellent.

Master
    Very good company and about a mile away from me, good advice and very competitive

Master
    Really I've lived here for 40 years

Wow, you're not wrong. Sent my pic over and got a response an hour later with everything I need and instructions. Excellent prices (way cheaper than Amazon!) and free next day delivery.

Cheers Dave. Really appreciate the recommendation
    out of interest what did they recommend? osmo base coat and fiddes high build ?

Master
    out of interest what did they recommend? osmo base coat and fiddes high build ?
    Osmo wood reviver followed by Osmo UV protection oil

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Really I've lived here for 40 years
    Not a Harvey boy are you!?

Master
    Osmo wood reviver followed by Osmo UV protection oil

- - - Updated - - -

Not a Harvey boy are you!?
    Ho ho no - Wyndgate (depending on how old you are)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Ho ho no - Wyndgate (depending on how old you are)
    A little before my time Wyndgate - always knew it as Channel. Small world!

Master
    A little before my time Wyndgate - always knew it as Channel. Small world!
    It is indeed - now 'the academy '

Master
    Just replaced our original-1901!! door with a SOLIDOR composite; great locks-Ultion, auto slam lock plus a dead bolt. Seems well made and robust. 10yr guarantee; like lots I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by emgee View Post
    Just replaced our original-1901!! door with a SOLIDOR composite; great locks-Ultion, auto slam lock plus a dead bolt. Seems well made and robust. 10yr guarantee; like lots I suspect.
    What sort of price do these doors come in at fitted? Thinking of replacing our draughty front door and came upon the thread just wondering if one of these is a non starter!

Paul.

Master
    Ours was £1,200 fully fitted. it has a top light above the main door frame, so a bit more expensive than normal doors. There are usually local installers for SOLIDOR, they don't install themselves but have a list of "Premier Installers"

Banned
    I’d try either sadolin or osmo external uv oil for oak external use

Blog Entries
    Any more satisfied, or unsatisfied, Solidor owners about? I was all set to get a Rockdoor but I now prefer a range/colour/glass combo on Solidor so considering switching.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I do really need a new back door, partly because we have a Spaniel who has scratched the wooden one to hell. I'd like a Rocdoor or Solidor but wouldn't want the dog ruining it. Does anybody know any solutions to this. Rockdoor said screwing anything into the door would likely invalidate the warranty.

I'd like to get rid of the dog but the kids won't hear of it :-/

Won’t look pretty, but a ply panel secured by decent double sided foam adhesive pads would do it?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Could you put a stair gate in front?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I do really need a new back door, partly because we have a Spaniel who has scratched the wooden one to hell. I'd like a Rocdoor or Solidor but wouldn't want the dog ruining it. Does anybody know any solutions to this. Rockdoor said screwing anything into the door would likely invalidate the warranty.

I'd like to get rid of the dog but the kids won't hear of it :-/
    Put these soft boot things on the dog that the vets use after ops. Also great fun if you have varnished or laminate floor watching the dog trying to stop when he runs at the door.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good idea :-). I should have said that it's the outside of the door that's the problem, not the inside