closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bitcoin

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Is tax due?
    It is on gains realised. Another reason to consider spread betting the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Didn't realize that, thanks.

Disadvantage of some spread betting companies is that the position is closed after one day (if I remember correctly) or is this normal with spread betting?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Didn't realize that, thanks.

Disadvantage of some spread betting companies is that the position is closed after one day (if I remember correctly) or is this normal with spread betting?
    The reason I don't like spread betting is the fluctuation involved over daily and monthly periods. Over a few months there's an upwards trends.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Or spreading the withdrawals over different tax years to use 2 lots of annual CGT allowance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I've got some in a hardware wallet, but now I only buy on eToro. It means I can buy regularly in small chunks easily and then set stop losses so it (automatically sells on dips ) or if the worse happens and it is a bubble that bursts). I keep moving the stop losses upwards to protect the gains so far.

Made 12% gain just this weekend alone. Stop losses moved higher.
    Last edited by ViperStripes; 26th November 2017 at 22:44.

I have just looked into coinbase, the main issues I see people having are with actually withdrawing funds(which is a big concern!) has anyone any feedback on this?

Quote Originally Posted by BCD View Post
    I have just looked into coinbase, the main issues I see people having are with actually withdrawing funds(which is a big concern!) has anyone any feedback on this?
    I’m currently using it, but I never had to withdraw from it.. being that I invested very little using Coinbase, I never actually tried withdrawing from it.. so it would save me some time if someone else did it in the past and would like to share the experience

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    I've got some in a hardware wallet, but now I only buy on eToro. It means I can buy regularly in small chunks easily and then set stop losses so it (automatically sells on dips ) or if the worse happens and it is a bubble that bursts). I keep moving the stop losses upwards to protect the gains so far.

Made 12% gain just this weekend alone. Stop losses moved higher.
    Is eToro a buy and keep platform? Or rather a trading platform?
    I looked it up since reading your post and seems to be the latter.. I have no knowledge about trading, so I’d be a fool to use it, but, having said that, eToro describes itself as a social platform in which noobies can “copy” professional trader’s strategies.. that sounds interesting! Can you shed some light on it please?

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scucivolo View Post
    Is eToro a buy and keep platform? Or rather a trading platform?
    I looked it up since reading your post and seems to be the latter.. I have no knowledge about trading, so I’d be a fool to use it, but, having said that, eToro describes itself as a social platform in which noobies can “copy” professional trader’s strategies.. that sounds interesting! Can you shed some light on it please?
    For shares etc it is a CFD Trading platform but if you keep managing your auto "take profit" upwards you can keep your trades open. There is a micro fee daily for open trades.
    For crypto the fee is on the spread between buy and sell (like coinbase etc) there is no daily fee to hold and since early September all trades are backed with actual coins held by eToro. It's also FCA regulated which means Client funds have to be kept separate. So I'm transferring all my hard wallet coins to eToro and then setting stop losses at lots of levels so if the bubble bursts while I'm asleep/away etc and plummets 50% in a few hours then my auto-sells will kick out in profit as it falls. It's the stop losses that are the big appeal.

Couple of good blogs to explain how copy trading works, so I'm copying a few traders that are very good at say Commodities like Gold and Currency pairs like USD/EUR, plus a few that are successfully doing say Euro stocks, US Stocks, Tech stocks etc.
    http://blog.eagerterrier.co.uk/2015/...load-of-money/
    http://www.savethestudent.org/make-m...investing.html

Also worth noting that CFD's and Copytrading are exempt from Capital Gains.

If you want to join up let me know and I'll post a referral link. If you deposit US$200 as first deposit and make $200 of trades (e.g. Buy US200 of Bitcoin, not copying) then we both get US$20.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BCD View Post
    Just starting the withdrawal process today. So far:
    1) You need to connect a bank account (not debit card) so that means making an IBAN payment to an Estonian bank account for 6 Euro which they then give you back. That arrived in 1 hour and I received email confirmation.
    2) They say it will then take 1 to 2 business days to Verify my account and then 4 -5 days to transfer my withdrawal. Will update this thread when it arrives.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    Just starting the withdrawal process today. So far:
    1) You need to connect a bank account (not debit card) so that means making an IBAN payment to an Estonian bank account for 6 Euro which they then give you back. That arrived in 1 hour and I received email confirmation.
    2) They say it will then take 1 to 2 business days to Verify my account and then 4 -5 days to transfer my withdrawal. Will update this thread when it arrives.
    I opened an account on Revolut and it was really simple. You can do native SEPA payments from it and converting between GBP/EUR is really easy.

I saved myself all the pain I read about from the various reviews doing it this way rather than from my UK bank...

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge_r View Post
    I opened an account on Revolut and it was really simple. You can do native SEPA payments from it and converting between GBP/EUR is really easy.

I saved myself all the pain I read about from the various reviews doing it this way rather than from my UK bank...
    I’m also a Revolut user, but how can you link your account to Coinbase?
    I thought you could only receive money that way, not send it..

Mind posting a little “Guide”
    Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries
    I invested £25k on a virtual trading App 4 weeks ago, now just north of £23k , been up to £27k , bit like a brides nighty !! ....for the very brave only, the boat may have been missed on this voyage !

Craftsman
    Ok something new starting up.

Free to join, no idea if it will workout, but hey Bitcoin was free to start with.

This is started up buy the guys that setup paypal, so it might have some legs.

Initiative Q is an attempt by ex-PayPal guys to create a new payment system instead of credit cards that were designed in the 1950s. The system uses its own currency, the Q, and to get people to start using the system once it's ready they are allocating Qs for free to people that sign up now (the amount drops as more people join - so better to join early). Signing up is free and they only ask for your name and an email address. There's nothing to lose but if this payment system becomes a world leading payment method your Qs can be worth a lot. If you missed getting bitcoin seven years ago, you wouldn't want to miss this.

Initiative Q is building a new payment network and giving away significant sums of their future currency to early adopters. It’s by invite only and I have a limited number of invites. My personal invite link:

https://initiativeq.com/invite/rVU9r6ao7

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chainy75 View Post

Free to join, no idea if it will workout, but hey Bitcoin was free to start with.

Initiative Q is an attempt by ex-PayPal guys to create a new payment system instead of credit cards that were designed in the 1950s. The system uses its own currency, the Q, and to get people to start using the system once it's ready they are allocating Qs for free to people that sign up now (the amount drops as more people join - so better to join early). Signing up is free and they only ask for your name and an email address. There's nothing to lose but if this payment system becomes a world leading payment method your Qs can be worth a lot. If you missed getting bitcoin seven years ago, you wouldn't want to miss this.

Initiative Q is building a new payment network and giving away significant sums of their future currency to early adopters. It’s by invite only and I have a limited number of invites. My personal invite link:

Pyramid scheme?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Pyramid scheme?
    Who knows. It's free to register so nothing to lose at this point.

Thanks Alan, I registered as this could be a bit of fun. The people behind Paypal certainly knew what they were doing

Master
    I don’t believe Saar Wilf had anything to do with the set up of PayPal. They purchased one of his companies ten years after it had launched though.

Master

Hi could you verify my application please. Thanks

I think this is mine for others to use
    https://initiativeq.com/invite/BNaiBP0o7

Craftsman

Hi I'm a bit late to this by the looks but used this link, if you could varify that would be great thanks

anyone care to enlighten me as to what is wrong with the way credit cards are used.....

I think the Tiffany Rolex is a better bet/scam

Master
    23.5k now

New high above $24,000 - will we see $25k this year?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    New high above $24,000 - will we see $25k this year?
    Yes ;-)

I’m thinking 27k by year end

Anyone up for 2021 price predictions?? I say a high of $75K..

Master
    ^^ I have a wager in play with Raffe for over 50k by year end. I think anywhere from 30-100 is possible. The “experts” Are saying 70-80 by Dec 21

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Yes ;-)

I’m thinking 27k by year end
    I’m a few days early :-)

Master
    Seen this on Twitter, DSTM, DYOR etc etc

Seen this on Twitter, DSTM, DYOR etc etc

What do the percentages refer to? Certainly not adoption as a currency, as that is firmly zero.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    What do the percentages refer to? Certainly not adoption as a currency, as that is firmly zero.
    It refers in that article to digitally held assets vs non-digitally held assets.

But singles out Bitcoin as the ultimate store of value.

Article from 2017, sauce: Woonomic, Twitter

It refers in that article to digitally held assets vs non-digitally held assets.

But singles out Bitcoin as the ultimate store of value.

Article from 2017, sauce: Woonomic, Twitter
    So what is it? An asset or a currency?

If it's a currency then it is pretty much a universal failure with zero legal adoption after more than 10 years. If it's an asset then I wonder where the intrinsic value comes from other than the greater fool on the other side of the transaction?

I don't doubt that this rally has further legs and was very close to buying when it dipped to $16,500 a couple of weeks ago - but that doesn't change that the value of BTC remains zero in my opinion. The utility of BTC is it's ability to appreciate - sounds like there will be plenty of speculators at the end of this who will be hodling a lot of BTC with nobody to sell to.

Master
    It can be used as a currency, and easily so between people with the knowledge to do so, but I think it will end up as an asset/store of value. I’m not sure intrinsic value is all that relevant. It should be, I follow your logic, but has gold really much intrinsic value beyond some limited commercial use?

Imagine if everyone with a gold chain Or wedding ring had some btc instead, what would bitcoins value be then?

As a clearly very clever guy Raffe, I’m puzzled why you don’t have a small position in this. Even if your “greater fool” theory is correct (I don’t agree) it’s a small punt with massive potential upside

Master
    Bitcoin 49,998 overnight on Binance

Close, but no cigar

Master

Close, but no cigar
    Think it was 50k on some exchanges. But it was a sign to sell.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Close, but no cigar
    What is the effect that Binance trades BTC against BUSD rather than real Dollars?

Coinbase had no higher than $49,900 for BTC - is that about the discount which the market applies to BUSD?

Master
    What is the effect that Binance trades BTC against BUSD rather than real Dollars?

Coinbase had no higher than $49,900 for BTC - is that about the discount which the market applies to BUSD?
    I use the BTC/USDT (Tether) market, so not sure about BUSD

I assume it's linked to the dollar rate in the same way as Tether.

You will find differences across the exchanges though, so arbing should be possible, but the damned thing is so volatile it's very difficult/impossible in practice

I sold a chunk at ~49,000 which is most of my investment back into 'real' money

Close, but no cigar
    Christmas is still some way off. I would hate to see you peak too soon.

Given that I know even less about financial charting than I do about investment matters generally, I'd be grateful if anyone 'with a clue'(tm) could just check my attempt at adding a rebased S&P 500 line for comparison purposes looks roughly correct.

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Christmas is still some way off. I would hate to see you peak too soon.

Given that I know even less about financial charting than I do about investment matters generally, I'd be grateful if anyone 'with a clue'(tm) could just check my attempt at adding a rebased S&P 500 line for comparison purposes looks roughly correct.
    What are the terms of this bet? Does it just need to hit $50k before NYE or does it need to be at/above $50k on NYE?

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    What are the terms of this bet? Does it just need to hit $50k before NYE or does it need to be at/above $50k on NYE?
    What counts is where BTC trades on NYE - anything before is just noise.

You can look at it as an optionality: how much have the odds that BTC will trade >$50k on NYE been increased by the fact that it trades at $50k today versus at $20k in November? I would say the odds are higher today, but not by all that much. I would expect that time left to expiry is the single biggest input for the calculation of that probability given the super-high volatility.

Master
    What counts is where BTC trades on NYE - anything before is just noise.

You can look at it as an optionality: how much have the odds that BTC will trade >$50k on NYE been increased by the fact that it trades at $50k today versus at $20k in November? I would say the odds are higher today, but not by all that much. I would expect that time left to expiry is the single biggest input for the calculation of that probability given the super-high volatility.
    I agree with all of this, and for the same reasons

I actually expect bitcoin to go beyond 75k in 2021, but factored in a draw back in my offer price of 50k

I'd say the bet is still very much neck and neck

Master
    Interesting, and a view I’ve seen echoed elsewhere in recent weeks.

Oh look: the dreaded puking kitty:

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    What happened the camel from a few pages back? Did he recover ;-)

Master
    Oh look: the dreaded puking kitty:

LOLZ thats a good one! Crazy stuff on the markets today.

Is all this bitcoin frenzy and excitement causing you nosebleeds and dizziness? If so this Inverse Bitcoin ETF may provide you with just the off ramp you are seeking.

Bitcoin seeing some very large leveraged account liquidations since yesterday. Watch out, this maybe the Archegos of crypto....

Master
    Seems like forever ago I made the 50k BTC bet with Raffe, but December is just around the corner now!

Still confident this side!

Seems like forever ago I made the 50k BTC bet with Raffe, but December is just around the corner now!

Still confident this side!
    Damn have been closing short on Tuesday and was waiting for opportunity to go long since - now this thing goes through the roof during the last 5 minutes.

What gives?

If banks wanted to have crypto exposure there are thousands of ways to do that already now.

What banks are very interested is to get the client business from the exchanges, so they will fight for ways they can safekeep crypto for clients as that is a nice business with very high fees/margins.

Why is that FUD? It seems to be about allowing banks to offer custodial services which, frankly, is a massive hurdle for the man on the Clapham omnibus* right now.

* obviously a terrible phrase to use when taking about the US market but you get my drift