closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1680 Red Sub arriving tomorrow

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Looks like it to me, as I have just saved you hundreds of pounds what do I get.
    Well it doesn't get you much as I still want one for my red sub (rather than cannibalising my 5513) 👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    Well it doesn't get you much as I still want one for my red sub (rather than cannibalising my 5513) 
    I have a heavily faded mk3 on my red but at the moment don't have any pics, if you google Andrew Shear's instagram page he has an identical one on there which will give you an idea how they look on a red.

Craftsman
    I have a heavily faded mk3 on my red but at the moment don't have any pics, if you google Andrew Shear's instagram page he has an identical one on there which will give you an idea how they look on a red.
    Will take a peek - personally like then look on re sub insert in this thread (scroll down to see the bluey grey insert from bazza)
    Last edited by bigfish; 30th July 2017 at 15:36.

congrats on your latest aquisition!

having been through a similar journey recently and finally got one too (mk4 1970) I haven't stopped wearing it for 3 weeks - wore it everyday on holiday and convinced it is the perfect beater!

though I may keep it inside my man bag when cycling to and from work though

Will take a peek - personally like then look on re sub insert in this thread (scroll down to see the bluey grey insert from bazza)
    here ya go

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    here ya go

Yep, that's the Insert I am after 👍

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post

wore it everyday on holiday and convinced it is the perfect beater!

]
    Perfect beater??? Yikes what's your Sunday best look like 👍

Perfect beater??? Yikes what's your Sunday best look like 
    Its a tool watch - i don't want safe queens.... when they become that I sell up and move on -

ok my sunday best is my Speedy tintin - now that is babied....

Couldn't agree more beater-smeater!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    here ya go

That is a stunner!

Craftsman
    Totally agree. Watches are to be worn but still wouldnt put my red sub into the "beater" category 😀

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    congrats on your latest aquisition!

having been through a similar journey recently and finally got one too (mk4 1970) I haven't stopped wearing it for 3 weeks - wore it everyday on holiday and convinced it is the perfect beater!

They do work well as an everyday watch. Not too heavy, perfect size, easy to switch straps etc so I have to agree.
    Though if you are not wearing it cycling I think you can hardly call it a beater(though I did the same) !😀

Craftsman
    This is probably a silly question given the number of variables at play (what dial, condition, service parts, etc.) but what's a sensible range to look at when trying to get a red sub and what should I be looking for? I don't need box and papers but would like original dial, hands, etc. I also don't know enough to justify spending the extra $ or £ to pay for the rarest dial/configuration either.

Thanks! And sorry to partially hijack the thread. Your show and tell has clearly had an effect!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    This is probably a silly question given the number of variables at play (what dial, condition, service parts, etc.) but what's a sensible range to look at when trying to get a red sub and what should I be looking for? I don't need box and papers but would like original dial, hands, etc. I also don't know enough to justify spending the extra $ or £ to pay for the rarest dial/configuration either.

Thanks! And sorry to partially hijack the thread. Your show and tell has clearly had an effect!
    Jeez that's not easy - but exclud papers original bracelet etc and for a good condition case, dial etc I'd say £10k upwards. If you are happy to have scratched dial, polished to death case etc then less.

Hope that helps a little - but really is nigh on impossible to answer

Craftsman
    Jeez that's not easy - but exclud papers original bracelet etc and for a good condition case, dial etc I'd say £10k upwards. If you are happy to have scratched dial, polished to death case etc then less.

That's really helpful. Gives me a rough guide at least as to what kind of floor I'm looking at in terms of price

Master
    I was looking at one advertised the other day at £24k

If you tried to build most watches from parts you realise that's not the best way to do things financially but how much are these beautiful watches worth in parts!

Do the correct bezels exist from Rolex any more? I bet there's some gold sat in watchmakers drawers out there!

I often wonder how a sub c will look in 40 years? Anyone else think it's strange that they will probably look either new still (if the case and dial are clean) Or, if the dial & lume has sun aged how they'll look half vintage with this new looking ceramic bezel on there. Whether you love or loathe the maxi case, the biggest downer for me is the ceramic bezel and age.

Master
    Very true, and the main problem with the modern ones is the luminova doesn't age like tritium.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I was looking at one advertised the other day at £24k

Do the correct bezels exist from Rolex any more? I bet there's some gold sat in watchmakers drawers out there!.
    There will be, but until the vintage thing took off, many were binned as a matter of course, why on earth keep them? Speaking to the watchmaker I use most, red sub dial and DRSD dials were also binned for shiny new all white replacements. I guess this has contributed to limited supply of old parts and current values. I have binned a faded 1967 Tudor sub insert ( same as 5513 etc) many years ago as it had a tiny nick out of the inner circumference and I declared it unusable.....

Spot on - If you can grab as many as you can for £10k as £12K and up is the way they are going (even for MKV and up) be very careful there are many dodgy ones out there

another 'cheap' way to get one is if you can get hold of an original redsub dial - then there are plenty of 1680 subs which are in the redsub serial number range which have had the dials replaced so you'll be making it good again.
    ...still the 1680 non-red prices are going crazy too ; and the dials are stupid money *if* you find one... but you'd be able to knock one together for @10k or less
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 2nd August 2017 at 20:29.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Stunning watch ...Enjoy

I know I've said it before, but - I simply don't get it?

Yes - the single red line in red, looks 'different'.

The so-called 'double-red' appears to attract even higher prices.

But - it is only an outward sign of 'cosmetic ltd run'

Is there not a similar thing in "Swiss" or "open 3" (or something)? Equally "ltd run", but just not as outwardly apparent ?

But they don't attract the same premium.

So.......... Is it a case of the owners wanting to show to people that they have a 'special' Rolex?

Me? I'd love a Comex (or a Fifty-Fathoms) - but really for the connection with diving development, in the same way as I admire the GMTs of the intercontinental flight development era.

Al

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Yes - the single red line in red, looks 'different'.

The so-called 'double-red' appears to attract even higher prices.

But - it is only an outward sign of 'cosmetic ltd run'

Is there not a similar thing in "Swiss" or "open 3" (or something)? Equally "ltd run", but just not as outwardly apparent ?

But they don't attract the same premium.

So.......... Is it a case of the owners wanting to show to people that they have a 'special' Rolex?

Me? I'd love a Comex (or a Fifty-Fathoms) - but really for the connection with diving development, in the same way as I admire the GMTs of the intercontinental flight development era.

Al
    I guess for me it was a number of factors - firstly overall "look n feel" makes this pretty spot on my eyes. Added to fact they are hard to find ie the hunt is totally part of it. And lastly its a fairly low risk place to park some money that makes me smile every time I wear it. So all round great watch to me but agree its not going to be for everyone

Re: Craftsman

You don't have to get it nor do you have to twist yourself into a pretzel trying to understand the motivations of the buyer.

This is what the hobby and collecting is all about.

Its all about the hunt indeed - but also the journey to get there...

after many years of buying and selling I bought a meters first 5513 almost full set a few years ago for @ £3.5K (saved up and had sold a breitling which I'd bought with the proceeds of selling a batch of NOS commodore 64s no less)

I couldn't afford the bracelet (a 9315 ) which would have been £300 extra at the time - (now they are 2K on their own!) but I found a nice 93150 on this forum which was a great price....

Then the prices of these started getting silly and I found myself not wearing it and then the the 1680 redsub prices also started to get silly at the same pace so I basically traded mine for one (plus @£800)
    no box no papers - serviced and waterproof tested - wearing it daily and knowing it only has cost me around 4k for a 12K watch feels good too...

everyone thinks is a fake and no one knows what a redsub is anyway - i don't care - share a beer and we'll talk about similar journeys in our lives with cars, jobs, women etc...

(oh and the mrs thinks its the same sub I've always had)
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 4th August 2017 at 09:38.

Craftsman
    Ta dah....very pleased :-)

That is a stunning watch! Congratulations. Beautifully aged tritium indices! Super nice!

Craftsman
    Well, deceided to swap Insert to a Mk3 fat font insert. Well nerdy imo but heh

upload multiple image

That’s lovely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done, that looks ten times better. Where did you find that one then?

Journeyman
    Is it just me, or will you experience a slight depresssed feeling a day or two after the purchase? I sometimes think the chase and the endless research is the best bit!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Well done, that looks ten times better. Where did you find that one then?
    Ended up taking off a 5513. Does finish it off and thanks for comment

Master

upload multiple image
    Is it me? The watch does look like it has hardly ever been polished, unlike some old examples whom are poslished to death. It has much flesh on around the lugs and crownguards.

That is a great watch you have there.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That looks awesome, I like it a lot

Apprentice

That’s a beauty for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    Is it me? The watch does look like it has hardly ever been polished, unlike some old examples whom are poslished to death. It has much flesh on around the lugs and crownguards.

That is a great watch you have there.

Master
    Can’t beat a fat font. Yes, they are expensive but looks so much nicer with it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Went to rugby yesterday and meet fellow watch chap who liked my red sub. He asked if I could help find him one, so looked last night - struggling to find one and seems market has moved in terms of pricing HQMiltons start at £15k and ebay a joke. Anyone any idea on what price range is for something like mine ?

This absolute stunner (5th watch down) was listed this week at €19,500 euros and sold in a day or two.

http://www.exoticwatches.net/browse.asp?C=52&P=1

I think that is the market rate now for a top quality example. I should have bought one for £9k two years ago when I had the chance

Craftsman
    The one that you’ve linked to still has it’s original bracelet. Many, like mine, have a replacement - how does that affect the value?

Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    The one that you’ve linked to still has it’s original bracelet. Many, like mine, have a replacement - how does that affect the value?
    A good condition 9315 bracelet could easily set you back £2k-£3k, so yes that will have been factored in the price.

Master
    Spoilt for choice a 9315 and a more comfortable 93150.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the info. £2-3k for a bracelet just shows what a minefield this vintage malarkey is for the uninitiated.

Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    Thanks for the info. £2-3k for a bracelet just shows what a minefield this vintage malarkey is for the uninitiated.
    That's why vintage pieces tend to have a price range rather than a more fixed price. It becomes the sum of its parts and the more original the higher the price. Look at that set Bob illustrated, a full set (box and papers) original and replacement bracelet, original insert - it doesn't get much better and watches like that will clearly be at the upper end of the range.

A loose watch with service replacement parts will be a lot cheaper.

Craftsman
    Thanks. This is mine, it's had a few owners on this forum so might be familiar...

Craftsman
    Spoilt for choice a 9315 and a more comfortable 93150.

Nice set sir. I have a older folded link braclet, but never worn it once - don't trust the devils

So, from what I have seen, looks like prices indeed have/ are moving north

Master
    Nice set sir. I have a older folded link braclet, but never worn it once - don't trust the devils

So, from what I have seen, looks like prices indeed have/ are moving north
    The 9315 is original to the watch, stamped 72, but the first thing I did was take it off and put on a nice 93150. The only other bracelets I use are the old rivets, 7206 and 6636, they are beautiful.
    I think price wise Reds stagnated for a while but seem to have taken off in the last 12 months.

Cool

Went to rugby yesterday and meet fellow watch chap who liked my red sub. He asked if I could help find him one, so looked last night - struggling to find one and seems market has moved in terms of pricing HQMiltons start at £15k and ebay a joke. Anyone any idea on what price range is for something like mine ?

Offer him yours for £20k Mat?! LOL