closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watch Spotting

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Excellent....could you do us all a favour?

When you dive, go down 3 times, but come up twice...
    I'll see you down in the rivers of blood.

Quote Originally Posted by jacktheripper View Post
    Therefore, I bought the Explorer because it's more elegant, understated, slimmer on the wrist with sleeker lugs. It's also rarer and a better all-round, do-anything watch. Okay?

Oh and good luck with your new Sub. Sorry, your ' friend's ' new Sub.

Sorry for my delayed response Jack but I was at yoga. You don’t mind if I call you Jack do you as I feel we have bonded over this discussion.
    While in my final Shavasana I found my mind less calm than normal, my inner peace was troubled , there are ripples on the usual calm pond of my mind .
    Then it came to me , perhaps you are right and my hankering for the ubiquitous Sub was perhaps misguided. Maybe I was on the verge of making a bad decision.

I would be ever so grateful if you could share some real life pictures of your Explorer - I feel the marketing pictures are not bringing the full joy of the watch . I admit I have tried on an Explorer in a shop but I feel some real life pictures from a genuine smart guy like you may help me come to my senses.

Many thanks , Mark

Blog Entries
    What can I say? I'm sorry for any feelings I may have hurt. Particularly those of Sub and Daytona wearing cretins.
    You haven't hurt my feelings. But I feel sorry for you.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 12th November 2017 at 16:54.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Sorry for my delayed response Jack but I was at yoga. You don’t mind if I call you Jack do you as I feel we have bonded over this discussion.
    While in my final Shavasana I found my mind less calm than normal, my inner peace was troubled , there are ripples on the usual calm pond of my mind .
    Then it came to me , perhaps you are right and my hankering for the ubiquitous Sub was perhaps misguided. Maybe I was on the verge of making a bad decision.

I would be ever so grateful if you could share some real life pictures of your Explorer - I feel the marketing pictures are not bringing the full joy of the watch . I admit I have tried on an Explorer in a shop but I feel some real life pictures from a genuine smart guy like you may help me come to my senses.

Many thanks , Mark
    Mark,

I must say that I do not have an awful lot of trust in you. Your photo makes me feel uncomfortable and dubious about your intentions. If you search my previous threads, you will find a wrist shot. I can't be bothered to copy it for you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    You haven't hurt my feelings. But I feel sorry for you. Goodbye.
    I read that with an Anne Robinson voice.....

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I've travelled all over and I'm yet to see an Explorer I on another wrist since buying mine back in 2013. Seen 36mm and 39mm Explorers in AD and jewellers windows but never on the wrist in the wild. I've seen two Explorer II's and three Milgauss in the wild so in my experience, the Explorer I is also rarer than both of those.
    There's a reason you don't see many. You'll figure it out one day.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    There's a reason you don't see many. You'll figure it out one day.
    Ah yes, because they're a future classic and no one can see it even if it hits them in the face. Hence why they all buy Subs instead.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    I'm not talking about watch forums, I'm meaning when out and about or at work etc. There's no chance of having anything feel unique on here! ;-)

Ha. Indeed.
    Anyway. It's so bloody cold up here I rarely see anything on wrists as they're usually under jumpers and coats.

Master
    I fear you're referencing the wrong Enoch.......I'm Enoch son of Cain and the father of Methuselah.

Watch Spotting

Mark,

I must say that I do not have an awful lot of trust in you. Your photo makes me feel uncomfortable and dubious about your intentions. If you search my previous threads, you will find a wrist shot. I can't be bothered to copy it for you.
    Dear Jacky ,

I’m slightly hurt by your post , the picture of me is a memento of walking the beach in the immediate aftermath of a hurricane so has personal meaning for me .
    Is this picture better?
    Last edited by MarkO; 12th November 2017 at 21:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I fear you're referencing the wrong Enoch.......I'm Enoch son of Cain and the father of Methuselah.

According to Wiki, Enoch 'the father of Methuselah' was the son of Jared and should not be confused with Cain's son Enoch. But I don't know the Bible well enough to know for myself.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Ha. Indeed.
    Anyway. It's so bloody cold up here I rarely see anything on wrists as they're usually under jumpers and coats.
    As a Glasgow boy, I understand that. Watch spotting is strictly a summer sport.... ;-)

Dear Jacky ,

I’m slightly hurt by your post , the picture of me is a memento of walking the beach in the immediate aftermath of a hurricane so has personal meaning for me .
    Is this picture better?

I am disturbed by your hair, Mark.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    All ten days of it Stef.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    According to Wiki, Enoch 'the father of Methuselah' was the son of Jared and should not be confused with Cain's son Enoch. But I don't know the Bible well enough to know for myself.
    Yes, nobody even knows who they are these days.

Blog Entries
    Ah yes, because they're a future classic and no one can see it even if it hits them in the face. Hence why they all buy Subs instead.
    Nope you still haven't figured it out.

Blog Entries
    I like that you had to look up the traditional definition of Cretin.
    No need to look it up as I work in psychiatry.

I can also see you are a troll:

“In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion, often for the troll's amusement.”

Craftsman
    My best recent "Watch spot" was seeing just the crown of a watch worn by a guy on the train sat opposite me one morning...... the propeller emblem told me it was a Bremont MB11 or MB111.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Lifeblood of the forum

Master
    Yes, nobody even knows who they are these days.
    I know who I am.......but I wonder what previous user name you had??

Master
    With all of the chit chat from a number of different members I’d forgotten what the original point was of this thread, so I had to go back and read it again.

OP: just buy what you are really comfortable with if you feel the need to scratch the Sub itch. The 114060 is a lovely bit of kit as was the 14060 and the 5513 before that.

It doesn’t bother me that some people buy them because it’s the “go to” Rolex, or that if you put ten Sub wearers together in a room there is a distinct probability that nine of them are fake. I wear mine because I like it, it’s bulletproof, tells the time reliably and will probably out last me. Oh and has more or less zero depreciation.

Good luck in reaching the right decision.

Craftsman
    This escalated quickly!!
    and yes it is a snobbish way to look at it, but i do somewhat agree.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Quick shopping trip around Bluewater yesterday, mainly buying to impending baby items!

However watch spotting (as I usually do) all I noticed was Rolex Subs on people. Now I love the Rolex Sub & think the modern 114060 is a great watch & one watch that could do everything. As per previous threads I’m torn between this an a birth year 5513.

Maybe a bit a snobbery on my part but I couldn’t help but think of 3 things:

1) People who’ve come into a bit of money, know Rolex = success/ status. Famous watch buy a Sub.

2) Watch guys like us, who appreciate the watch.

3) Fakes, who think they are getting away with it. (Truth be told I saw a skydweller & white gold Sub on 2 people).

If they later, it kind of put me off owning a modern sub, more so as 80% of people o saw was wearing one.

Maybe it just shows the success of the brand. Much like Apple (who I’ve bought into long ago).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    If I liked them and wanted a sub I'd buy one, wouldn't bother me how many other people had one. Got an I-phone and millions of people have those. Doesn't matter.

Also, if I didn't like them I wouldn't buy one just because everybody else did. It's what you want that matters, even if it's nice to listen to other opinions before deciding.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    My best recent "Watch spot" was seeing just the crown of a watch worn by a guy on the train sat opposite me one morning...... the propeller emblem told me it was a Bremont MB11 or MB111.
    Hahahahaha. You didn't accost him and get clarification?! You're an amateur spotter... ;-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Hahahahaha. You didn't accost him and get clarification?! You're an amateur spotter... ;-)

He had earbuds in and was reading a newspaper.....

Now if it had been a fellow Sinn owner, I would have said "hello" :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    No need to look it up as I work in psychiatry.

I can also see you are a troll:

“In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion, often for the troll's amusement.”

Pretty sure all of my contributions have been on topic.

Pretty sure all of my contributions have been on topic.

Wow Sunday Lunch at the inlaws and this escalated quickly!

Thanks to those who replied (ignoring the insults) was just my observations & didn’t mean to cause an argument!

I already regret it, please accept my sincere aplologies. I was only attempting to get my postcount up. The postcount that I can't even see. The postcount that is completely irrelevant.
    Irrelevant until you want to use the SC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Thanks . . . didn’t mean to cause an argument!

That will be £5.00 please. (Oblique reference to Monty Python).

Way to go Jacky Boy!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Goodbyeeeee.

So you say.
    Yes, he did say, at the time: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?383396-RIP-mum

Master
    Watches anyone? ;-)

So you say.

- - - Updated - - -

You know I'll be back.
    I knew you were going to do this so last year I took the trouble to post a few words on the forum about my mum passing away. If it weren't for the fact you were trolling and clearly you won't be here in the next few hours I would be taking this more seriously.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So you say.

- - - Updated - - -

You know I'll be back.
    No, it really is goodbyeee.

I am sure he will be back.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I am sure he will be back.
    Hope so. I enjoyed that.

I was chatting with a Swiss gentleman at work - youngish guy in his late 30’s and I commented on the fact that it was unusual to see a Swiss man ( banker ) with a gshock.
    He said when he was working at home everyone he knew had ‘nice’ watches and bored with servicing mechanical he wanted to be different.

He was wearing a square gshock ( couldn’t tell the model) but he had a custom made steel case .
    Not just any old bit of metal but made for him by the case maker for Richard Mille . He showed me a picture on his phone of a yellow gold and a white gold case he had made at the same time !
    He said there was a lot of gold in the case so it was rather expensive.

I was chatting with a Swiss gentleman at work - youngish guy in his late 30’s and I commented on the fact that it was unusual to see a Swiss man ( banker ) with a gshock.
    He said when he was working at home everyone he knew had ‘nice’ watches and bored with servicing mechanical he wanted to be different.

He was wearing a square gshock ( couldn’t tell the model) but he had a custom made steel case .
    Not just any old bit of metal but made for him by the case maker for Richard Mille . He showed me a picture on his phone of a yellow gold and a white gold case he had made at the same time !
    He said there was a lot of gold in the case so it was rather expensive.
    mate! gagging for pictures if you can manage it. i love stuff like that.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I’ve only met the guy once but he seemed very friendly and happy to discuss- he was wondering if there was a market for this .
    I’ll send him a message and see if he will email me the pictures.

The case work was really perfect.

Journeyman
    Come on now. Why are so many people getting sensitive about a sub wearer being called a cretin. I own a sub and I am amused on how many I see out there and mainly the new ceramic models. My daily wearer on account of being so comfortable is a jubilee datejust and it has a date. I own an Explorer but the oyster bracelet is not so comfortable. However the love for it on here is making me want to wear it more.

Still on the watch spotting. Last night John Terrywas on TV in a programme about dementia and footballers. My wife asked me what kind of watch was he wearing since she expected me to know. Obviously it must be a "footballer watch" Hublot, Panerai or AP but I just could not recognise it. It had a blue bezel and was a 3 button chronograph. Anyone know what it was ?

Craftsman
    It was Alan shearer on football and dementia and watch looked like a hublot

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by misterzero View Post
    It was Alan shearer on football and dementia and watch looked like a hublot

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app
    Is that confusion ironic? ;-)

Shearer relates to Terry like a Daytona to a GMT. Have I gotten this right?

Master

Watch Spotting

Some watch companies place product on MOTD. A friend of a friend used to work in sales for Hublot and he would be in the green room with a tray of watches for the panel to wear.

Last edited by lughugger; 13th November 2017 at 13:23.

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Some watch companies place product on MOTD. A friend of a friend used to work in sales for Hublot and he would be in the green room with a tray of watches for the panel to wear.

Think Hublot do have sponsorship with the FA or something previously, (I know they do with Chelsea and Mourinho).

Most of the panel wear Hublot, I know Wrighty also dons a white face APROO, Jenas usually a Nautalus and Dixon was usually a Sub.

Hodgoson always sported to gold black Hublot & so did Allerdyce. Did also read somewhere Mourinho used to get a Hublot every year & retire it when he won a championship.

Think there was an article recently showing managers and their watches (with a lot of incorrect models), but Martinez always sported a Panerai.

Save me the time reading all of this, do I need to sell my sub or not?

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post

He confirmed that they are made in Vallee de Joux by the Richard Mille case maker who also does the Patek diamond cases.

He is getting some more made to sell - $3500 in steel $12,000 in gold ! I think that includes the g- shock !

Apprentice

Smile

He confirmed that they are made in Vallee de Joux by the Richard Mille case maker who also does the Patek diamond cases.

He is getting some more made to sell - $3500 in steel $12,000 in gold ! I think that includes the g- shock !
    Crikey ! bet you wouldn't see many of them at the local shopping centre :)