closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Forum Heating Engineers Pt II :)

Forum Heating Engineers Pt II :)

Boiler has packed in this morning.

What is happening is that the boiler starts, fires up, and then some 45 seconds later switches itself off making a sort of thumping sound.

Both the flow and return pipes are scolding hot which is unusual as normally the flow would get hot and as the water is pumped around the system the return would then gradually heat up. I've checked the boiler to make sure that the internal fans are spinning.

Sounds to me like the pump may have packed up or there is an air lock but for an air lock how would that have got there as the system was obviously working yesterday?

Have done my back in and with the pump being the loft can't make it up there to check so have called in a plumber but just wanted the thoughts and diagnosis of the forum :)

overflow blocked? it usually links to the nearest waste pipe & the waste can get stuck in the smaller overflow pipe

not a plumber, had it happen though and it sounded similar to your description

I would say pump, you could give it a wack to see if it starts, boiler make and model would help

Master
    Not an heating engineer but could it be this? boiler frozen condensate pipe symptoms

http://www.directheatingsupplies.co....e-information/

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Not an heating engineer but could it be this? boiler frozen condensate pipe symptoms

http://www.directheatingsupplies.co....e-information/
    I doubt it's that cold in London.

What I don't really get is how, in 45 seconds, both flow and return pipes can get scolding hot. Can you elaborate a bit?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Could be pump, it can't push the heat away from the boiler so it's causing the boiler to overheat.

If it's a pressurised system is there water in it?

Thanks for the replies, plumbers been and relieved me of some cash. Turns out the pump was stuck so he got onto the loft, opened the bleed screw and gave the pump a turn to free it. Suggested I see how it goes and if need be call him back should it happen again so that he can replace it.

The pump in the loft is making a racket as the plumber reckoned it was set too low. I’m going to leave it for one night and see if it quietens down but I guess it won’t so will replace.

Anybody got any views on a decent pump? Current one is a Grunfos 15-60 and looking on the Grunfos site they do a direct replacement for this or an A energy rated version that costs a few quid more. Both have a 5 year warranty but is One any better than the other? My local plumbers merchant recommended something called a dab evosta, never even heard of it to be honest.

We have Grundfos literally everywhere at school from tiny pumps to gert big ones. No other makes ever considered. Some have an intelligent control, variable flow. Never had problems with them. Personally I'd get the right grundfos for the job, the best spec you can afford.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    The pump in the loft is making a racket as the plumber reckoned it was set too low. I’m going to leave it for one night and see if it quietens down but I guess it won’t so will replace.

Anybody got any views on a decent pump? Current one is a Grunfos 15-60 and looking on the Grunfos site they do a direct replacement for this or an A energy rated version that costs a few quid more. Both have a 5 year warranty but is One any better than the other? My local plumbers merchant recommended something called a dab evosta, never even heard of it to be honest.
    Get another grundfos, just tell him to bung the system and change the pump head instead of the whole pump assembly.