closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bitcoin

Hybrid View

Master
    I use Coinbase to buy in and transfer to Binance to trade.

If you want any referral links let me know.

Master
    Available on Revolut (premium) from today

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Available on Revolut (premium) from today
    I had a go on the 1 month free trial for Revolut Premium as I will be travelling to Europe soon.

Had a look on their cryptos and realise although they can be bought on the platform, it can be transferred out or in to the account. What good is that??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hyl1987 View Post
    I had a go on the 1 month free trial for Revolut Premium as I will be travelling to Europe soon.

Had a look on their cryptos and realise although they can be bought on the platform, it can be transferred out or in to the account. What good is that??
    You gain from the capital rise (or loss)

AFAIK they plan on adding features to allow transfers in/out, but no idea when.

If you just want to buy some BTC to hold, it's a fairly good, easily accessible service.

Interesting piece on ICOs:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ry-little-work

"Of the 30 biggest digital tokens sold in ICOs this year, the ones without a working product backing their projects did the best in their first month of trading, data compiled by Bloomberg show. And the ICOs with actual products that could be tested? Almost two-thirds of those declined."

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Bitfinex is fine if you are planning on spending a lot of money, but they will not let you trade smaller amounts of money. I'm very happy with coinbase for bitcoin, but I wanted to dump my ethereum profits into Iota. I'm in the habit of putting small sums into a new application to make sure there are no problems. In this case, I dumped .08 Ether in only to discover that the minimum trade and, indeed that the minimum amount you can remove, is equivalent to $350 so they got 0.08 Ether out of me for nothing. Call me cynical, but I'm not putting $350 into anywhere that will allow me to deposit money they know I can't use or withdraw. Fool me once.

Here's what you see when you try to withdraw the money they allow you to deposit but don't let you use. I'd assume that this is a nice little earner for them:

As a result I ended up using Binance as it was the only other reputable exchange that was trading ether to Iota. I'm very impressed, although their verification process can be a little slow so get all your ducks in order well in advance of jumping on any movement in the markets. I've also found Metamask useful for shunting small sums around and allowed me to be agile enough to make a decent and hilarious profit out of the first surge of cryptokitties. I'd really recommend having a fifty quid play with cryptokitties as it is, for want of a better word, the cartoon version of all this, or more accurately the bastard child of ether and pokemon. As with so many other cryptocurrencies, you'll enter close to the groundfloor, so after you get bored just make sure you don't lose the passwords as it could go ballistic once ethereum solve the scaling problem that cryptokitties has so cruelly exposed. Me, I'm breeding gerbil faced leopards and fancy duckcats:

It's the daft end of bitcoin investing, but I'm about half a Rolex up and saving the rump to see what happens when ether starts to scale properly.
    Last edited by M4tt; 12th December 2017 at 12:09.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    ...but I'm not putting $350 into anywhere that will allow me to deposit money they know I can't use or withdraw. Fool me once.
    "Oh dear, dear. This isn't normal securities trading! Think you can assume your crypto exchange is basically competent and its systems well maintained? Think again. 'I know PHP – how hard could running an exchange be?' isn't the best starting point."

"You also can't assume a crypto exchange isn't going to mess you around. All manner of shenanigans that are completely illegal in proper security trading – bots painting the tape, wash trades, spoof orders, just front-running your customers – are completely normal in crypto. Your threat model is not just the other traders, it's literally the platform you are putting your money and coins into."

https://www.coindesk.com/2017-butt-bitcoins-joke/

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    "Oh dear, dear. This isn't normal securities trading! Think you can assume your crypto exchange is basically competent and its systems well maintained? Think again. 'I know PHP – how hard could running an exchange be?' isn't the best starting point."

"You also can't assume a crypto exchange isn't going to mess you around. All manner of shenanigans that are completely illegal in proper security trading – bots painting the tape, wash trades, spoof orders, just front-running your customers – are completely normal in crypto. Your threat model is not just the other traders, it's literally the platform you are putting your money and coins into."

https://www.coindesk.com/2017-butt-bitcoins-joke/
    True, but what can you do?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Bitfinex is fine if you are planning on spending a lot of money, but they will not let you trade smaller amounts of money. I'm very happy with coinbase for bitcoin, but I wanted to dump my ethereum profits into Iota. I'm in the habit of putting small sums into a new application to make sure there are no problems. In this case, I dumped .08 Ether in only to discover that the minimum trade and, indeed that the minimum amount you can remove, is equivalent to $350 so they got 0.08 Ether out of me for nothing. Call me cynical, but I'm not putting $350 into anywhere that will allow me to deposit money they know I can't use or withdraw. Fool me once.

Here's what you see when you try to withdraw the money they allow you to deposit but don't let you use. I'd assume that this is a nice little earner for them:

As a result I ended up using Binance as it was the only other reputable exchange that was trading ether to Iota. I'm very impressed, although their verification process can be a little slow so get all your ducks in order well in advance of jumping on any movement in the markets. I've also found Metamask useful for shunting small sums around and allowed me to be agile enough to make a decent and hilarious profit out of the first surge of cryptokitties. I'd really recommend having a fifty quid play with cryptokitties as it is, for want of a better word, the cartoon version of all this, or more accurately the bastard child of ether and pokemon. As with so many other cryptocurrencies, you'll enter close to the groundfloor, so after you get bored just make sure you don't lose the passwords as it could go ballistic once ethereum solve the scaling problem that cryptokitties has so cruelly exposed. Me, I'm breeding gerbil faced leopards and fancy duckcats:

It's the daft end of bitcoin investing, but I'm about half a Rolex up and saving the rump to see what happens when ether starts to scale properly.
    I didn't know that about Bitfinex - seems a bit sneaky.

Just checking that I read it right - you can transfer in a small amount (like your 0.08 ETH) but you can't then use that to buy something else? Or is it that you can't withdraw less than USD350 worth?

Thanks

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I didn't know that about Bitfinex - seems a bit sneaky.

Just checking that I read it right - you can transfer in a small amount (like your 0.08 ETH) but you can't then use that to buy something else? Or is it that you can't withdraw less than USD350 worth?

Thanks

My experience is that you can transfer it in and then can't do anything at all with it unless you bump it up to $350. I could post screens for each, but that screen summed it up for me.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post

Almost the same as me, Coinbase to buy in, Bittrex for trading. I tend to buy Ether to trade as it has lower fees than BTC.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge_r View Post
    Almost the same as me, Coinbase to buy in, Bittrex for trading. I tend to buy Ether to trade as it has lower fees than BTC.
    Curious as to what trading strategies people use. Or is just more taking advantage of opportunistic price movements? I don't trade hence the question.
    Last edited by bambam; 7th December 2017 at 19:57.

Craftsman
    Bitcoin in the news today, people can't get their cash out apparently.cant say I'm surprised.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Bitcoin in the news today, people can't get their cash out apparently.cant say I'm surprised.
    That’s nothing to do with Bitcoin though, that’s down to the platform they chose to trade on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Pyramid selling- nice new bricks- same old punters.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Pyramid selling- nice new bricks- same old punters.
    Have you done any research or just decided it's a pyramid because everyone involved has made a lot of money?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anyone with a trezor fancy selling me 0.00089249 my OCD is killing. Obviously i will pay the cost plus fees but im this amount from 5.

Craftsman
    Am looking at a 6 point grumblefuttock from low point but seems to be .06 down from the multi grade at the moment, anyone got any upbeat on crinklespread bolsters? mine have spent out to 11sec on the ulterior minimum time scale so need to bear down.

Master
    As the value and volatility continue to rise, does Bitcoin become less of a currency and more a pure investment? Just read this statement from Steam who have stopped accepting Bitcoin payments....

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_blog

As of today, Steam will no longer support Bitcoin as a payment method on our platform due to high fees and volatility in the value of Bitcoin.

In the past few months we've seen an increase in the volatility in the value of Bitcoin and a significant increase in the fees to process transactions on the Bitcoin network. For example, transaction fees that are charged to the customer by the Bitcoin network have skyrocketed this year, topping out at close to $20 a transaction last week (compared to roughly $0.20 when we initially enabled Bitcoin). Unfortunately, Valve has no control over the amount of the fee. These fees result in unreasonably high costs for purchasing games when paying with Bitcoin. The high transaction fees cause even greater problems when the value of Bitcoin itself drops dramatically.

Historically, the value of Bitcoin has been volatile, but the degree of volatility has become extreme in the last few months, losing as much as 25% in value over a period of days. This creates a problem for customers trying to purchase games with Bitcoin. When checking out on Steam, a customer will transfer x amount of Bitcoin for the cost of the game, plus y amount of Bitcoin to cover the transaction fee charged by the Bitcoin network. The value of Bitcoin is only guaranteed for a certain period of time so if the transaction doesn’t complete within that window of time, then the amount of Bitcoin needed to cover the transaction can change. The amount it can change has been increasing recently to a point where it can be significantly different.

The normal resolution for this is to either refund the original payment to the user, or ask the user to transfer additional funds to cover the remaining balance. In both these cases, the user is hit with the Bitcoin network transaction fee again. This year, we’ve seen increasing number of customers get into this state. With the transaction fee being so high right now, it is not feasible to refund or ask the customer to transfer the missing balance (which itself runs the risk of underpayment again, depending on how much the value of Bitcoin changes while the Bitcoin network processes the additional transfer).

At this point, it has become untenable to support Bitcoin as a payment option. We may re-evaluate whether Bitcoin makes sense for us and for the Steam community at a later date.

We will continue working to resolve any pending issues for customers who are impacted by existing underpayments or transaction fees.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Anyone with a trezor fancy selling me 0.00089249 my OCD is killing. Obviously i will pay the cost plus fees but im this amount from 5.
    Can you not just buy it via one of the exchanges? I hear you re the OCD...

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Curious as to what trading strategies people use. Or is just more taking advantage of opportunistic price movements? I don't trade hence the question.
    I only have a relatively small investment and I don't have a strategy as such. When I was a geeky teenager I looked into mining Bitcoin when it was worth cents and decided not to. So I jumped on the wagon way too late, just to make some money from it.

I just put a lump sum in and split it between BTC, ETH and LTC and have done a few small top-ups since then. I've started putting really small regular amounts [£50 or so] into some of the smaller currencies and will gradually build them up if and when they become more viable. OMG, XRP and IOTA are part of that for me.

I'm firmly in the holding stage at the moment, it is still difficult and clunky to buy cryptocurrencies, not to mention stupid limits and verification stages - so it doesn't have an easy entry point. When it does, I can see the market growing even more...

Anyone have any insight in other Alt-coins?

Craftsman
    Just had a quick look on Coinbase and noticed the £175 I have put on over the last few days is now £360 odd. See how things go over the coming weeks/months.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post

What do the referral links provide? Might be interested as looking for an exchange to buy into IOTA.

Journeyman
    Some amazing gains had this week for those in BTC, LTC & ETH.

Some amusing comments on here from the nocoiners.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by GC2012 View Post
    Probably a bit off topic here but has anyone used Coinbase. Whilst sat travelling the other day I ended up putting a small amount of money on Litecoin to see how it would pan out and it has increased, I dont want to cash out but after seeing numerous cr*p reviews online it seems I am unlikely to actually get the money back from them?
    If only someone had posted a handy step-by-step how to on page 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge_r View Post
    I just put a lump sum in and split it between BTC, ETH and LTC and have done a few small top-ups since then. I've started putting really small regular amounts [£50 or so] into some of the smaller currencies and will gradually build them up if and when they become more viable. OMG, XRP and IOTA are part of that for me.

I'm firmly in the holding stage at the moment, it is still difficult and clunky to buy cryptocurrencies, not to mention stupid limits and verification stages - so it doesn't have an easy entry point. When it does, I can see the market growing even more...
    I hope someone at least threw a few quid at these, some massive % gains in the last day alone, let alone from when I made that post!