closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bitcoin

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Available on Revolut (premium) from today
    I had a go on the 1 month free trial for Revolut Premium as I will be travelling to Europe soon.

Had a look on their cryptos and realise although they can be bought on the platform, it can be transferred out or in to the account. What good is that??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hyl1987 View Post
    I had a go on the 1 month free trial for Revolut Premium as I will be travelling to Europe soon.

Had a look on their cryptos and realise although they can be bought on the platform, it can be transferred out or in to the account. What good is that??
    You gain from the capital rise (or loss)

AFAIK they plan on adding features to allow transfers in/out, but no idea when.

If you just want to buy some BTC to hold, it's a fairly good, easily accessible service.

Interesting piece on ICOs:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ry-little-work

"Of the 30 biggest digital tokens sold in ICOs this year, the ones without a working product backing their projects did the best in their first month of trading, data compiled by Bloomberg show. And the ICOs with actual products that could be tested? Almost two-thirds of those declined."

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Bitfinex is fine if you are planning on spending a lot of money, but they will not let you trade smaller amounts of money. I'm very happy with coinbase for bitcoin, but I wanted to dump my ethereum profits into Iota. I'm in the habit of putting small sums into a new application to make sure there are no problems. In this case, I dumped .08 Ether in only to discover that the minimum trade and, indeed that the minimum amount you can remove, is equivalent to $350 so they got 0.08 Ether out of me for nothing. Call me cynical, but I'm not putting $350 into anywhere that will allow me to deposit money they know I can't use or withdraw. Fool me once.

Here's what you see when you try to withdraw the money they allow you to deposit but don't let you use. I'd assume that this is a nice little earner for them:

As a result I ended up using Binance as it was the only other reputable exchange that was trading ether to Iota. I'm very impressed, although their verification process can be a little slow so get all your ducks in order well in advance of jumping on any movement in the markets. I've also found Metamask useful for shunting small sums around and allowed me to be agile enough to make a decent and hilarious profit out of the first surge of cryptokitties. I'd really recommend having a fifty quid play with cryptokitties as it is, for want of a better word, the cartoon version of all this, or more accurately the bastard child of ether and pokemon. As with so many other cryptocurrencies, you'll enter close to the groundfloor, so after you get bored just make sure you don't lose the passwords as it could go ballistic once ethereum solve the scaling problem that cryptokitties has so cruelly exposed. Me, I'm breeding gerbil faced leopards and fancy duckcats:

It's the daft end of bitcoin investing, but I'm about half a Rolex up and saving the rump to see what happens when ether starts to scale properly.
    Last edited by M4tt; 12th December 2017 at 12:09.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    ...but I'm not putting $350 into anywhere that will allow me to deposit money they know I can't use or withdraw. Fool me once.
    "Oh dear, dear. This isn't normal securities trading! Think you can assume your crypto exchange is basically competent and its systems well maintained? Think again. 'I know PHP – how hard could running an exchange be?' isn't the best starting point."

"You also can't assume a crypto exchange isn't going to mess you around. All manner of shenanigans that are completely illegal in proper security trading – bots painting the tape, wash trades, spoof orders, just front-running your customers – are completely normal in crypto. Your threat model is not just the other traders, it's literally the platform you are putting your money and coins into."

https://www.coindesk.com/2017-butt-bitcoins-joke/

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    "Oh dear, dear. This isn't normal securities trading! Think you can assume your crypto exchange is basically competent and its systems well maintained? Think again. 'I know PHP – how hard could running an exchange be?' isn't the best starting point."

"You also can't assume a crypto exchange isn't going to mess you around. All manner of shenanigans that are completely illegal in proper security trading – bots painting the tape, wash trades, spoof orders, just front-running your customers – are completely normal in crypto. Your threat model is not just the other traders, it's literally the platform you are putting your money and coins into."

https://www.coindesk.com/2017-butt-bitcoins-joke/
    True, but what can you do?

Master
    Bitfinex is fine if you are planning on spending a lot of money, but they will not let you trade smaller amounts of money. I'm very happy with coinbase for bitcoin, but I wanted to dump my ethereum profits into Iota. I'm in the habit of putting small sums into a new application to make sure there are no problems. In this case, I dumped .08 Ether in only to discover that the minimum trade and, indeed that the minimum amount you can remove, is equivalent to $350 so they got 0.08 Ether out of me for nothing. Call me cynical, but I'm not putting $350 into anywhere that will allow me to deposit money they know I can't use or withdraw. Fool me once.

Here's what you see when you try to withdraw the money they allow you to deposit but don't let you use. I'd assume that this is a nice little earner for them:

As a result I ended up using Binance as it was the only other reputable exchange that was trading ether to Iota. I'm very impressed, although their verification process can be a little slow so get all your ducks in order well in advance of jumping on any movement in the markets. I've also found Metamask useful for shunting small sums around and allowed me to be agile enough to make a decent and hilarious profit out of the first surge of cryptokitties. I'd really recommend having a fifty quid play with cryptokitties as it is, for want of a better word, the cartoon version of all this, or more accurately the bastard child of ether and pokemon. As with so many other cryptocurrencies, you'll enter close to the groundfloor, so after you get bored just make sure you don't lose the passwords as it could go ballistic once ethereum solve the scaling problem that cryptokitties has so cruelly exposed. Me, I'm breeding gerbil faced leopards and fancy duckcats:

It's the daft end of bitcoin investing, but I'm about half a Rolex up and saving the rump to see what happens when ether starts to scale properly.
    I didn't know that about Bitfinex - seems a bit sneaky.

Just checking that I read it right - you can transfer in a small amount (like your 0.08 ETH) but you can't then use that to buy something else? Or is it that you can't withdraw less than USD350 worth?

Thanks

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I didn't know that about Bitfinex - seems a bit sneaky.

Just checking that I read it right - you can transfer in a small amount (like your 0.08 ETH) but you can't then use that to buy something else? Or is it that you can't withdraw less than USD350 worth?

Thanks

My experience is that you can transfer it in and then can't do anything at all with it unless you bump it up to $350. I could post screens for each, but that screen summed it up for me.

Master
    My experience is that you can transfer it in and then can't do anything at all with it unless you bump it up to $350. I could post screens for each, but that screen summed it up for me.
    Thanks. Read around a little and they seem to have put the limit in recently. Anyway, went for Binance in the end to get going. Thanks for the heads-up.

Craftsman
    Can anyone send me a link or some tips on how to transfer ETH from a MetaMask account back over to Coinbase?