closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Audi A3 Quattro - tips & reviews?

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire

Audi A3 Quattro - tips & reviews?

Evening fellas.

My trusty GTI is coming to it's 175,000 birthday in a week, so it's time to say goodbye to my faithful old steed. I've opted for a 61 plate A3 2.0 TDI Quattro Sportback. 'Twas a bargain, hence getting it, and it will save civil war breaking out of who has to climb in the back as with all my 3 door cars!

So, what are they like? Any recommendations? A lad at work has the same, he's had his chipped & said it's made a helluva difference. Being an audio freak, I'll be removing the Sat Nav, but is it worth getting the Bose set up off Ebay & have it fitted? Also I've never owned a diesel before, am I in for a pleasent shock?

Thanks guys

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adam164 View Post
    Also I've never owned a diesel before, am I in for a pleasent shock?
    More likely in for an unpleasant pocket spank off the government transport boffins regards RFL and also bear in mind, it'll drink as much fuel as a petrol if you spank it everywhere.
    Other than them minor details, it's probably a great ride. A pal of mine has run Audi's for a few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    More likely in for an unpleasant pocket spank off the government transport boffins regards RFL and also bear in mind, it'll drink as much fuel as a petrol if you spank it everywhere.
    Other than them minor details, it's probably a great ride. A pal of mine has run Audi's for a few years now.
    That’s quite a lot of spanking right there.

Is it popular amongst Audi drivers then?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    That’s quite a lot of spanking right there.

Is it popular amongst Audi drivers then?
    Sorry, I did rather get a bit overspanked there didn't I ?

It's your money,

But, I wouldn't.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

The Quattro (Haldex) is great - I had the earlier model (3.2 petrol) and really liked it - no more wheelspin etc. Do make sure it has had/has the haldex oil changed on schedule. You can also get a more aggressive controller for the haldex but only really useful if you are a very “spirited” driver

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adam164 View Post
    Also I've never owned a diesel before, am I in for a pleasent shock?
    I don't know about pleasant, 2.0 TDI engines are hateful, odious things. Power, power delivery and noise will be vastly different from the GTi, and not in a good way.

Why are you moving away from petrol? Are you doing big mileage every year?

I’m not a fan of diesels despite owning a few. I’ve found them not to be that economical under normal driving unless it’s a long run. The power delivery is strong but narrow. Filling with diesel is an odious task

I’d stick with petrol

Master
    My mate has a 2.0 Tdi a3 and the fuel consumption is the same as my petrol Auris except on the motorway

Master
    I'd be hedging my bets and looking at a petrol hybrid, diesel seems to be moving further away from it's traditional virtues of low pollution and high economy and looks to be taxed heavily or even banned in certain areas in the near to medium future.

A petrol hybrid will give you a decent compromise between the two, with only performance being hit slightly (although there are some well performing hybrids, but they may not suit your use case).

I nearly bought a 3.0S Jaguar XF diesel, but I couldn't quite bring myself to buy a diesel in the end (and, to be honest, I needed a bit more space than the saloon offered and the estates were out of my budget).

It wasn't bad to drive, plenty of power from the 3.0S and pretty well isolated sound, but a friend has a diesel X3 2.0 which I drive now and then and it sounds like a tractor at times...

M