closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size do you like

Apprentice

What size do you like

I keep looking for a new watch to add to my limited selection but so many are just too big!

My favourite Breitling chronograph is just 36mm and my daily wear automatic is 38mm but looks smaller due to the wide bezel.

What size do you like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    More & more sub 40mm. I'd say 38mm is ideal for me

Depends on the watch type. In an 'all dial design' watch such as Nomos I think 35mm is best. Thicker bezels such as on a Datejust I prefer 36/37mm and if it has a thicker moving bezel like most sports watches then I'll go to a maximum of 40mm. The current Submariner/GMT is the largest case I am comfortable with.

Dunno, mm's are such small fractions. I have a 6:5" wrist. My Seiko Alpinist (38mm) wears beautifully, and you'd think my TAG Heuer F1 (43mm) would therefore be too big but it wears nice also and there's not that much difference at all on the wrist. For me, you have to park the spec and just try things on. Some bigger watches will just wear nicer than smaller's and vice versa.

34mm to 36mm for me, ideal size that slips under the cuff and radar

Craftsman
    As many have said on this forum before, often it isn’t so much about diameter but thickness/height. I have a 6.5” wrist and generally stay away from anything over 40mm. But if the case thickness is as thin as say 8mm, I can get away with the larger diameter watches without looking daft, in my opinion.

There was also a good post a while back about perspective with wristwatches, and how as the wearer you tend to view the watch on your wrist at quite a close distance. Whereas everyone sees something very different when looking at it on your wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I think 40/41 is my favourite size. Dress watches though, should definitely be <36mm imho

Journeyman
    40mm. I want to try on a Blancpain FF in the New Year but suspect it will be too big for my 7.25inch wrist

Blog Entries
    38-42 is the range I most often choose. Do have a 34 Rolex Oysterdate though which is a lovely watch to wear.

A slightly wider range of 37mm to 43mm for me - because that covers all variants of my favourite caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by rc30matt View Post
    40mm .... but suspect it will be too big for my 7.25 inch wrist
    It very much depends on the shape of your wrist. Mines also 7.25", but I guess it's wide and flattish, so I find no problem carrying off up to 43mm diameter, like this Yema Spationaute III.

Last edited by Seiko7A38; 26th December 2017 at 13:19. Reason: Flattish rather than thin

Master
    I have a 7 inch wrist and like 40-42mm watches. Could wear smaller but certainly no bigger.

Journeyman
    My wrist is 7 1/2". 34 to 38 for a dress watch or field watch but up to 42 for a divers style watch.

Diameter means little, case shape, design, lug 2 lug, lug thickness, lug shape and width, bezel thickness, dial size etc etc all have a huge impact on how a watch wears, people get too hung up on a mm measurement of the diameter.

Apprentice
    41mm seems to be my usual choice.

Journeyman
    the bigger the better. 40mm plus even.

42 and above for me. My 42 explorer 2 is about as small as I would go

Craftsman
    I have a 7” wrist and size depends completely on the watch. I prefer on the smaller side (sub 40mm) but some 45mm panerai are ok on me. I tend to handle diameter ok but a 42mm that is 15mm thick I would struggle with

I have a 7.5 inch wrist and loved the 47mm Panerias and my Helson Sharkmaster. Now they all feel too heavy and bulky. I also wasn't enjoying the attention they sometimes get.

I currently have a 39mm Constellation, a 35.5mm Constellation and a 37.5mm Planet Ocean. I find these are the first out of the watch box now. I'm considering adding a 37.5mm Planet Ocean Chronograph in the new year.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    42-46 now for me. Tastes change over time, & where I was quite happy wearing a Rolex GMT or Sub, I now find them too small, as much as I love the brand. Had 2 Explorer II's, Polar & black. which I regret moving on TBH. The new Seadweller at 43 could be the all rounder, but unfortunately I can't afford Rolex prices now. Sitting here typing this with my SO44, such a lovely watch that gets lots of wrist time.

Craftsman
    With 6 3/4" wrist my sweet spot is 38-40mm, although my collection streches from 36-42mm.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    40mm. I want to try on a Blancpain FF in the New Year but suspect it will be too big for my 7.25inch wrist
    The lug to lug and case shape means the FF fits smaller than the diameter suggests. One to try on! The finish is amazing.

If the lugs don’t overhang the wrist sides then I feel comfortable. Some of my watches reach the limit but not beyond. Smallest is my airking at 35mm biggest is around 45mm diameter.

Comparison shots:

My wris measures a flat 6 3/4”
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 25th December 2017 at 23:45.

I have about 7" wrists but they are near square .

As such, I barely get away with the 42mm Speedy pro; by far, my largest watch.

I feel 36mm is a minimum, 38mm ideal and 40m a max.

40-46mm is my normal range. My wife wears 35-42mm watches and the under 40mm cases look too small on me when I try them.

I have arrived at 46mm wide, 16mm high, LTL 56mm is upper limits. Though I see some recent Citizen dive watches going out to 49mm wide, 18mm high! No way I could do that.

Master
    36mm - 40mm is the range that stands the test of time. Anything within that range is ok with me.

Craftsman
    I have just under 7” wrists with a fairly flat top and find I am leaning towards smaller watches now. A few years ago I would happily wear a 44mm watch but I recently sold my Omega PO 42mm, not because of the diameter but because of the close to 16mm thickness.
    I’m now waiting for my 40mm Sinn ezm 3 to arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Anything from 36-44mm. But 40-42 mm is a sweet spot for me
    It's just a matter of time...

As big as it can get. What?!
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    36 to 38mm for me personally, really gone off anything bigger since buying my datejust 36 and mid size seamaster ceramic.

42-43mm best I find, but depends on so many factors, bezel, lug to lug, height and strap width.
    Most 40mm dive watches I’m just not getting on with, my perception is they look too small on me, I know it’s the perspective thing but I can’t get over it. Anything too tall I’m not loving now either.
    45mm Radiomir looks good as it’s virtually all dial and wire lugs but low, fills my flat 8.25” wrist nicely but that would be too big in a thick diver.

What size do you like

Generally 36 to 43mm but depends on shape and lugs. My wrists are a flattish 7.25 inches. I’ve owned and sold a couple of 43mm+ divers due to lack of comfort. Must admit though that for 36mm I like a reasonably chunky bracelet like the oyster on my Datejust. On a 43mm I prefer a leather strap.
    Last edited by PipPip; 27th December 2017 at 11:28.

My sweet spot is 36-38mm - these are the best proportioned watches for my wrist.

The Watch Snob happens to agree:

"On the matter of size, 36mm is not only a perfectly respectable watch size, it is the lower bound of the set of sizes that define the perfect men’s watch: 36 to 38mm. This size for watches is defined, one likes to think, by fundamental rules of proportion and harmony far transcending the vagaries of fashion and taste. A larger watch may be allowable, but it must be larger for a reason: the extra room needed for a chronograph to be readable is one. Any other such transgression of these classic proportions is more apt to be a manifestation of tasteless, self-serving egotism than not."

If I were calling myself a snob, I would be deeply ashamed of myself for thinking anything larger than 34mm to be "classical". What a clueless twerp.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    My sweet spot is 36-38mm - these are the best proportioned watches for my wrist.

The Watch Snob happens to agree:

"On the matter of size, 36mm is not only a perfectly respectable watch size, it is the lower bound of the set of sizes that define the perfect men’s watch: 36 to 38mm. This size for watches is defined, one likes to think, by fundamental rules of proportion and harmony far transcending the vagaries of fashion and taste. A larger watch may be allowable, but it must be larger for a reason: the extra room needed for a chronograph to be readable is one. Any other such transgression of these classic proportions is more apt to be a manifestation of tasteless, self-serving egotism than not."
    All mine are 36mm apart from my Zenith Rainbow diver that is 39.5mm.

I have normal wrists at 6,5”

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    If I were calling myself a snob, I would be deeply ashamed of myself for thinking anything larger than 34mm to be "classical". What a clueless twerp.
    Is The Watch Snob even a real person, or is it an editorial team?

6.75" wrist

If its a relatively plain dial I prefer 36mm - 38mm

I have a few 34mm/35mm vintage dress ones that dont look at all small as they are mainly all dial though.

If a dive watch or Chrono then 38mm - 42mm

The LTL, case shape and shape are factors that I take into account though. As I get to 42mm I like as slim a case as possible - the CWC diver doesn't feel too big at all even if worn in rotation with the PRS29a at 36mm.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Generally around 40mm but you simply cannot tell until it's on the wrist - I had discounted the Blancpain Bathyscaphe until I got the chance to try it on and was surprised that at 43mm it still worked fine on my 6.75 wrist

Journeyman
    38 to 41

Journeyman

36 to 42mm would be good.

What size do you like

I have a 6 and 3/4 wrist and would be happy with the size of most watches of 34 through to 40mm.

Anything significantly larger than that would probably have to have a bezel, or short lugs.

As a rule, and I find it frustrating that you still have to hunt for this information, anything with a lug to lug of 47mm (a Rolex Submariner) or under should be fine. Anything over might be, but I prefer not to push the boundaries...

Indeed, a 40mm all-dial watch would appear large on my wrist, even if it mightn’t look too big.

Master
    Blog Entries
    38-42 depending on the shape

Craftsman
    As always, it's the lug to lug measurement I look at when deciding on a watch for my 6.5" wrist. Hence my Seiko fetish with so many lugless or short lug designs.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

With a 7.5” wrist I prefer 42mm

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    The lug to lug and case shape means the FF fits smaller than the diameter suggests. One to try on! The finish is amazing.

If the lugs don’t overhang the wrist sides then I feel comfortable. Some of my watches reach the limit but not beyond. Smallest is my airking at 35mm biggest is around 45mm diameter.

Comparison shots:

My wris measures a flat 6 3/4”
    Thanks for those comparison shots, the FF looks great on your wrist, no larger apparently than the Rolex (although the photos are different sized). I am currently gravitating towards an FF Aqualung as I think I might prefer the brushed finish case but I have got to see some in the flesh.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Is The Watch Snob even a real person, or is it an editorial team?
    It's actually IBM Watson.

Master
    ...the FF looks great on your wrist, no larger apparently than the Rolex (although the photos are different sized)...
    I'm not sure we're looking at the same pictures. However, I can attest that the BPFF is remarkably compact for it's size. It's too big for me, but I was surprised that was way too big.

7.25" wrist. Watches mostly 40-42mm but depending on case shape I can go larger. The current Samurai at 43mm is fine and I had a 44mm PAM177 which was also OK.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    For me, it's 39mm to 41mm with the sweet spot seemingly at 40mm.

scooter

The watch I wear the most is 42mm, then 30mm, then 37mm, then 34mm. I guess this means I'm not bothered? My wrist is 6⅝" and very flat, if that helps. They all seem right for what they are.

Craftsman
    I have 8 inch wrists and have had watches from 38 to 45 and all fitted fine .I don't like watches that are too thick and heavy ,comfort is important .A friend has a 36 mm watch and it looks tiny on me .

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app