closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to work date

Craftsman

Back to work date

can I ask what every-bodies start back date is ? As a small business owner I thought it was generally back on the 2nd as standard but I seem to be seeing many are saying its the 3rd !

Any reason why the 3rd seems to be the popular date I am hearing ?

Of course the staff can come back on the date I state but also do not want to be mean if the general idea this year is the 3rd !

2nd for me and I would expect that to be the norm.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Master
    January 1st and 2nd are public holidays here in Scotland. Back to work on Wednesday.

I’ve got a new contract starting on 4th, strangely they want me onsite for Thursday and Friday only. 500 mile round trip, but it’s their money!

2nd is the norm in England but as an employer it's up to you. Don't have to give Bank Holidays.

Craftsman
    For my pals down south here it's the 2nd. The large gap between New Year and the next weekend seems to have brought things forward.

Blog Entries
    Next Monday for me

Back tomorrow.

I am hoping that I can get some work done now as trying to get anything sorted in the non BH days last week was a waste of time. In fact the week leading up the Christmas weekend was little better. I am wondering how much the loss of productivity resulting from this commercial opportunity for the retail sector costs the country?

8th Jan.

I wouldn’t work for a company that gives less than 2 weeks over Christmas/NY.

3rd, skiing on Sunday for a week though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Next Monday for me
    Same here.

Master
    Should be tomorrow for me despite 1st and 2nd being bank holidays here in Scotland we are now owned by English overlords. I've opted to take a holiday as the return is depressing enough without feeling like your the only person going back on that day.

On an even more depressing note. Our English overlords are visiting on Thursday to make most of us redundant. Happy new year.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Back to work? Some of us didn't stop.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I had christmas day and Boxing day off

B

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    worked all last week and started today.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    8th Jan.

Not everyone gets to pick and choose

8th Jan.

Life is not as easy for public sector essential staff.

My wife is a district nurse, she had Christmas day and NYE off, in work at 0900 this morning.

Think about the folks who support your elderly or ailing family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Not everyone gets to pick and choose
    Most people pick their jobs/careers knowing what the holiday entitlement will be.

Most people pick their jobs/careers knowing what the holiday entitlement will be.
    Sure they do, what a ridiculous sweeping statement. “Il pick this career as I get two weeks off over Christmas”. You really are intolerable at times.

You clearly struggle with comprehension.

You clearly struggle with comprehension.
    You clearly struggle to let things go. You know what I’m talking about.

My work go back tomorrow, but i'm taking it off to travel back down south, didn't fancy the drive today. Only 2.5 weeks left and i finish there on the 19th, start new job 22nd

Craftsman
    Worked in the emergency services for the last 28yrs so nights/weekends/Christmas/New Year working is the norm for me and no complaints as it`s what I signed up to. This year was my first year since 2010 where I had Christmas off, though I worked 27th-31st Dec . Off work now till Wed 3rd. Wishing a good 2018 to all, Daz.

Master
    2nd for me but everyone else is the 3rd I’m opting to go back a day early before all the mayhem starts etc, as a rule though the construction industry is 2 weeks off or treble time over the Christmas period in my experience. Our children’s nursery isn’t back until the 3rd so I suspect an awful lot of people will be off until then or tying in with school holidays etc.

Craftsman
    2nd for me. Most people I know (unless they are self employed) are back on the 2nd also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2nd for us, although I've taken the day off to use up a stray day of holiday from last year.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Doing some work today, but first full working day is on 2nd of Jan. Get back to work ya lazy gits!
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Tomorrow early unfortunately, but will start getting head back into work mode tonight.

2nd of Jan for me too.

I’m back on the 4th as was lucky enough to take some annual leave over the festive period.

Working in the NHS I’ve worked over Christmases in the past, including one memorable one a few years back where I worked 09:00-18:00 in my day job Mon-Thur (where Thur was Xmas Eve) and Fri-Sun nights 21:00-09:30. Was working in Harrogate at the time and it was a 2 hour drive each way. I recall eating Xmas dinner, shedding a tear with my wife then driving 65 miles to work in a DGH with 24 patients already waiting to be clerked between me and the reg in MAU (doctors on here will know how that felt).

I picked my career knowing I’d have to work some holiday periods and miss my family. However, the public response has always been overwhelmingly positive to frontline staff being in work over Christmas and I think we always keenly feel the sadness of those who are unwell and unable to be with their families is much worse a privation than our own.

So yes, you may or may not pick your career based on the length of time you get off at Christmas, but I would suggest if you do then you are probably the one losing out as there’s more to work and life than annual leave entitlement.

Master
    Managed to get Xmas Day and Boxing Day off but working right through New Year. In fact just about to start a 12hr night shift. The day workers are starting back tomorrow.

Tomorrow for me and I can’t wait, NOT!

May!....
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Never if i can manage it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No date set for me as yet, I will have a good think about it then decide. I have thought about it and it’s Feb sometime

Back tomorrow

Do you have to pick up a fight on every thread you people?

Some of my clients are back to work on 2nd, but the smaller independent firms are back on 3rd.
    It's just a matter of time...

I worked the 28th (using a couple of remaining days holiday for the 27th and 29th) and then back again tomorrow to start 2018 with a rush as we've a client going live next week and need a lot of tasks completed before Thursday.

Happy New Year all.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    Back tomorrow

Do you have to pick up a fight on every thread you people?

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Blog Entries
    My lot kick off on the 3rd. Majority seemed to want to return tomorrow but I feel the extra day is nice, so dug my MD heels in.

Christmas and Easter are the two times during the year when our sector stops so break can be had without returning to a desk full, its good for all my chaps and girls to return after having a proper break.

HNY
    Pitch

It would be the 2nd, but we’re on holiday in warm and sunny Australia, so I’m not back until the 15th
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Grand Master
    8th Jan.

What a sweeping statement! If the job was right you'd take the rough with the smooth, and if you didn`t you'd be stupid, you have to weigh up the total package.

That's what I did, took the rough with the smooth for many years then and retired at 52.

It's all about the bigger picture, you'll learn that eventually. My return to work date is never, it has been for the past 8 years, so having to work over Christmas occasionally paid off.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post
    Worked in the emergency services for the last 28yrs so nights/weekends/Christmas/New Year working is the norm for me and no complaints as it`s what I signed up to. This year was my first year since 2010 where I had Christmas off, though I worked 27th-31st Dec . Off work now till Wed 3rd. Wishing a good 2018 to all, Daz.
    Great one Daz and some grounding on the thread. I have a great deal of respect for you guys, bumped into a pal yesterday who is a medic and saw first had what he does a few years back, very humbling..

HNY

Pitch

Master
    Blog Entries
    Back today to deal with year end (finance) so expecting 4 days working 8:00-0:00 which I don't particularly relish. I also worked 27th-29th.

I would not consider working for a company that had an enforced 2 week break at Christmas, although in my line of work that would never happen, as that would result in less time for holidays in the spring/summer which is when I want them. I enjoy long walks/backpacking trips so having holidays in June is perfect for me when the days are at their longest and you can wring the most out of every day.

Sitting around getting fat for two weeks in the darkness? Not for me thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Bad haircut day

Master
    Blog Entries
    Day one of new job started today at 09:00.

8th Jan.

Do you work in Education?

I can't think of any other 'industry' that would close down for 2 weeks or more en masse for such a period, but happy to do be educated (no pun intended!)

I'm back and struggling because of colleagues who aren't, but haven't completed the tasks they were supposed to before going on leave!

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Do you work in Education?

I can't think of any other 'industry' that would close down for 2 weeks or more en masse for such a period, but happy to do be educated (no pun intended!)

I'm back and struggling because of colleagues who aren't, but haven't completed the tasks they were supposed to before going on leave!

M
    Construction industry usually does certainly electrical companies unless on call or shut down work which is then treble time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    Day one of new job started today at 09:00.
    At least you started your new job as you mean to go on...viewing a sneaky peak at TZ.

I’ve had the week off, back today - but I have plenty of friends who work a few days between Xmas and the new year - I prefer to take holiday when it’s not so cold and gloomy tbh, next year I might join them - feels like a bit of a waste sitting indoors with the fire on watching bond movies!!