closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 - any plans for changes to the collection ?

2018 - any plans for changes to the collection ?

After reading up several posts on 2017 ins and outs, do you have any plans for 2018 ?

Been thinking about this in that last day of holiday way - especially as have a 27 hour 3 flight journey starting shortly, so looking ahead to 2018 and getting back into the work groove.

I started 2017 convinced that my collection was complete (pretty settled for the previous 3 years) and my only acquisition in that period was an SDc4000 in late 2016 (to keep me going whilst my GMTc was at service). The SDc surprised me as it really is the upper limit for me on size and weight, but became my 'go to' watch for 2017 !! So that became a definite keeper.

However towards the end of 2017 I acquired and sold a couple of watches in quick succession. This kind of validated my feeling that the collection was complete and the watches that had caught some interest were really never going to get a look in. Especially as the GMTc has been back from service some 14 months and is still in its stickers.....won't sell that as love it and was my main wearer for best part 7 years

So if you'd have asked me 2 weeks ago what I planned in 2018 on the watch front I would have said nothing. But despite being away in South America the wonders of the Internet and TZ sparked my interest in a watch.

So later this week I do have a special incoming - something quite different for me and my first precious metal watch ever - I think it will be a keeper. So perhaps my collection is very settled (there is nothing I would want to part with) and I have to accept that over the next few years there may be the odd acquisition that adds to the keepers !

A few rungs down from you Dan but I too am thinking of trying a few models that I have long fancied but never worn. To do this I would in all fairness need to have a clearout of some I find in my watch storage that don't seem to get the wrist time.
    However I am coming to the conclusion that New Year is not the best time to be offloading. I suspect peoples' wallets have taken a battering from non-watch directions, so the clearout and quest for pastures new may have to wait until Spring.

Really not seeing anything these days that I really really want. 2018 will probably see me reduce numbers if anything.
    Probably looking at GS if anything.

Not too many plans for me, depends what SIHH & Basel bring.
    I sold a couple this week to raise funds for a PP 5960, but probably will have to trim the collection some more. So thats my main goal for 2018 at this moment.
    Alternatively might go for a Moser Pioneer which I've been lusting after for a fair while.

Craftsman
    Yes all change for me; 116710BLNR and Tag F1 in with a PO8500 going other way.
    Back to the good ‘ol days of one beater and one safe queen rather than just one allrounder...
    Last edited by trainspanner; 1st January 2018 at 18:45.

Craftsman
    Only 3 watches currently but want to add to the collection this year. Like the idea of having various types of watches so looking at a GMT, Pilot and either a dress watch or another diver.

Will probably go for a Steinhart Vintage GMT, Hamilton Khaki King and Tissot Le Locle/ Precista PRS3-LE yellow (if I can locate one)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had no plans at all, but find myself taking delivery of a Fifty Fathoms Mil-Spec tomorrow morning (which in fairness I'd tried very, very hard to acquire prior to and after their release). I can't really see anything else happening unless my ceramic Daytona materialises, which is looking increasingly unlikely; or a blue Nautilus comes my way. I don't have that level of funds sitting waiting to be spent, so something would have to go the other way to enable it to happen.

Looking forward to seeing what you've managed to snag, Daniel.

Sapphire sandwich speedy, BLNR and ND Sub are here to stay for the foreseeable future. Should be taking delivery of a 41.5 mm Aqua Terra soon, never considered them until I actually tried one on....then had to have one etc etc! 36mm 116203 is soon for the chop as it remains unworn. It’ll go to SC to hopefully part fund something dressy from JLC. Like Tony, I’m perpetually waiting for the ceramic Daytona but I too don’t see this happening anytime soon.

Master
    After purchasing and then moving on what was for me my most expensive watch, an explorer II from this fine forum, I realised I get much more pleasure from watches at the lower end of the market.

My speedy and seamaster quartz will be staying put but everything else could go as I try and keep to my self imposed limit of 8, I can see me replacing my Steinhart OVM, which is for some reason the watch I regret selling the most.
    Last edited by StuS; 3rd January 2018 at 19:37.

Journeyman
    Sell my Explorer and buy another Nomos Club and Hamilton Khaki Field (beige dial to add to the black I still have) Both of which I bought and disposed of last year (The Club to my son and sold the Hamilton) Also looking at a Mudmaster to add to the 5610 and Rangeman.

Blog Entries
    Sell most of the safe stuff and buy something I'll loose a shed load of money on when I sell it.

Master
    Like many others here waiting for a ceramic Daytona, more in hope than in anticipation. Also on list for sky dweller, but meeting a fellow TZer the week to try his on for size which may change my mind.
    Would love to pick up a 587, have had a wtb up for ever with no joy. Also fancy trying a 1389 or even a 615 if funds permitted and I found one at the right price.
    No plans to sell anything at the moment, but one never knows.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

All change here, losing the BLNR & Ceramic Daytona, keeping the Sub with some precious metal Rolex goodness as a replacement for those two.

I really want the black dial Daytona and wish I had got that one, that is why the white dial is going at some stage. Also I really like the RG Rolex offerings as well.

Baselworld may through a curve ball though.

Craftsman
    Nothing out in 2017. SubC date & GMTc In.

Hoping to secure a pp aquanaut in 2018 along with a few Rolex models I want to own.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Keep 5711 Blue

Either upgrade 5167 to a 5164 or add a Ceramic White Daytona (long shot)

I'm very keen on a Ming 19.01, but that would involve offloading a watch I already own, all of which I don't want to let go, so it'll have to wait.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I want to add a JLC thin moon of some variety.

BLNR I am still undecided on. Tempted by a hulk but the BLNR is a little more of an all rounder.

Grand Master
    Probably let most of these go.....Maybe keep the 14060.

Bulova Moonwatch
    CWC Diver 96' Issued
    Omega 2541
    PRS-5
    PRS-82
    Rolex EXII Tritium
    Seiko SNZF17
    Seiko Dagaz
    Seiko Samurai
    Seiko 6105
    Seiko Gen2 Non issued
    Seiko 6309
    Seiko BM
    Seiko OM
    Seiko MM300
    Seiko 7548
    Seiko 7549
    Seiko SLA017
    Speedbird 1903
    Tudor 76100 Lolipop hand

Trying to reduce the collection as usual but 2017 was 4 out and 2 in, so it is a slow job.

I want to upgrade my quartz Omega SeMP 212.30.41.61.01.001 to a ceramic SeMP 212.30.41.20.01.003

Last edited by vortgern; 3rd January 2018 at 22:51.

Master
    I'm going to wear my vintage watches more often! I bought a speedy 105.012 as a daily beater, but due to the price rising it's now in a safe.

I've got a lovely 5513, and I'm intending to wear it regularly.

I feel safer wearing this than the speedmaster due to its better we.

Intersting Q - given I thought 2017 was a 'one watch' year.....

I got the Panerai itch again after a trusted member posted a WTT for his 372 - SD gone but still one watch. Vinny had a bargain Ti ecozilla so now up to 2 watches. A bargain Longines Legend popped up on SC, so we are now up to 3. The trusty Casio beater died and was replaced by a Suunto - now up to 4......

Last minute bargain from Geoff landed on SC and the Emergency is in the fold - and then there were 5.

2018.... would love to add a Panerai North Pole to the clan - and there is always the SC draw.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    I have my eye on one of these: Sweet spot of 41mm and classic design: Jaeger LeCoultre Deep Sea Chronograph.

I may have to swap out my Blancpain Fifty Fathoms for it - but not sure - or else save all year??

Darn - my plans are shot - I now covet this Geophysic True Second Limited Edition

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 2nd January 2018 at 00:05.

Blog Entries
    Seeing these JLC's I really do miss mine and it appeals to get another at the expense of a Rolex.

I would like a Deep Blue and a 5167 one day but cannot see this happening in 2018.

HNY all.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Explorer 11 coming in this year hopefully and probably (maybe) sorted then for a while. Might look for a birth year watch if I can find one thats not too tiny.

Grand Master
    Plan for me is to continue restoring all my Omega project watches then decide what to keep and what to sell. A few in my own collection need servicing and TLC too, ideally I`ll get them all in top condition then take stock. This will take me a few months in and amongst other activities.

Still on the lookout for a 60s gold Seamaster Deville in 9ct or 14ct, but it'll have to be a really good one.

New Year's resolution is to wear the vintage watches more often!

Paul

Hoping to slim the collection a little and be more patient. Want to add a SD43 or potentially a new Sub Date if one comes with a longer power reserve. Will sell the polar Explorer II and debating selling a 16600 or keeping as a safe queen. I think plans could change depending on the pound and what I spot on holiday as buying Rolex new in the UK is annoyingly difficult at the moment - even if you offer to leave the warranty card behind and have it sized!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Probably let most of these go.....Maybe keep the 14060.

Bulova Moonwatch
    CWC Diver 96' Issued
    Omega 2541
    PRS-5
    PRS-82
    Rolex EXII Tritium
    Seiko SNZF17
    Seiko Dagaz
    Seiko Samurai
    Seiko 6105
    Seiko Gen2 Non issued
    Seiko 6309
    Seiko BM
    Seiko OM
    Seiko MM300
    Seiko 7548
    Seiko 7549
    Seiko SLA017
    Speedbird 1903
    Tudor 76100 Lolipop hand
    What a collection. I could be interested in the Tudor 76100 as and when you get there. I have a WTB for a Tudor sub 79090 but there isn’t a great deal of difference. Happy new year btw.

Craftsman
    I’m waiting to see what happens at Baselworld as I’ll be visiting the event. Only watch that I want to add is a white DaytonaC otherwise.

I plan to sell about 6 and add the proceeds to the amount to be spent on holidays, with no intention to buy any more watches.

I had the same plan in 2017, but it didn't work out, so 2nd time lucky.

Master
    I've been planning for a while to let a few go that don't get worn nearly enough and wear some of the better/vintage pieces more often with the intention of getting down to single digits. However without a clear need to sell or a tempting trade there's little incentive so I'll probably let a Certina and my OWC go this month and see how that feels!
    A Longines Nonius or a nice Lemania are the target additions so if anyone has one....
    Last edited by deepreddave; 2nd January 2018 at 11:13.

Like a few people here - I want to release watches I'm not wearing and try new stuff. I've got 3 or 4 in mind I think I'm happy with passing on; I should really sell my GO panomatic too, but every time I look at it I'm reminded by how damn good looking it is!

For incoming - the Ming 1901 funds have been paid and I'd like to try another independent, I'd love to try an Ochs und Junior, but there is so much choice I've yet to figure that out - maybe at some point I'll ask the masses here for help.

My collection is settled. I have just picked up a Sewills Carmania and I think for now I will just enjoy the watches I have having had all my vintage stuff serviced now.

End of year I may pick something else up though

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    My collection is settled. I have just picked up a Sewills Carmania and I think for now I will just enjoy the watches I have having had all my vintage stuff serviced now.

End of year I may pick something else up though
    The Carmania is an excellent watch - size is spot on, the bracelet is comfortable and the styling still very much holds up. I still enjoy mine immensely since I got one in the batch Eddie re-released.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No. I want to enjoy what I have so no plans to sell.
    I'd also like a 587 though.

Craftsman
    No plans to sell any but really would like to pick up an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak this year.

Master
    I have a black seiko turtle incoming from Walter. Will be playing with straps on that. Will be getting my GMT Pepsi serviced by Rolex, may get a black bezel and a new Pepsi bezel at the same time from them. Considering a zenith EP this year, missing a chronograph or perhaps a second hand speedie moon, these will be job promotion dependant!

Master
    Down to just 3 which i am more than happy with but have my name down for a SD43 and may make room for that if it feels and looks right when i try it on.

Master
    Have been considering a Breguet Type XX or possibly an XXI for a while now and have been recently smitten by an IWC 3227. So, I would like one of these at some stage in 2018.

I have though been on a bit of a selling/spending spree so might need to wait a while.

Happy New Year to all !

Gary

I’m pretty settled, although I would like a Seiko Tuna, probably an SBBN033

D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Great minds eh?

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Have you just the two at the moment? The ROO Diver and the SD43? I do try to be thorough in my stalking but can never be sure

Master
    My plan is a huge clearout and zero acquisitions. Whether it works out like that is another matter, but it's good to have a plan isn't it?

My collection is mainly of watches that I like but have no significance to my life, so parting can't be that hard can it? I no longer have any truly expensive watches and nothing that is appreciating in price. I am in my twilight of watch collecting. Wish me luck.

Journeyman
    Will only be adding the Blue faced Tudor Heritage black bay, unless my name comes up for the white Daytona C. I will then be selling my Speedy Tuesday to help fund the purchase!!
    I do like the JCL master control as a dress watch but don't really have the use for it!

[QUOTE=MartynJC (UK);4616821]I have my eye on one of these: Sweet spot of 41mm and classic design: Jaeger LeCoultre Deep Sea Chronograph.

I may have to swap out my Blancpain Fifty Fathoms for it - but not sure - or else save all year??

I'd like to add one of these Seep Sea chrono's too.

Master
    I don’t think I am going to sell any but most likely going to add a few. This is the leading contender:

But if I really had my way (which means fu@king unlikely) it would be something from the F.P. Journe stable. A couple below:

A bit different but that’s just me.

I have three vulnerable watches, each was an impulse buy last year and i do think about selling them and replacing with one watch. Not sure what though and i am happy with them, i just need to keep an eye on numbers.

Had 6 at the start of 2017, moved 4 out and brought 2 in, in January and things have remained settled. Of the 4 i enjoy wearing 3, the odd one out being my SD4000, but time constraints and other projects will probably mean it stays another year, however of the 4 i moved out i do miss 2 of them which doesn't bode well.

Despite starting a thread in Dec detailing 40 odd watches in and out during 2017 I swore that 2018 would be quiet. Sold a couple between Christmas and New Year and bought my first watch of 2018 today. I really wanted this deal to complete before New Years Eve, but it didn't happen - so one in this year after two days and my business for the year is complete...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Despite starting a thread in Dec detailing 40 odd watches in and out during 2017 I swore that 2018 would be quiet. Sold a couple between Christmas and New Year and bought my first watch of 2018 today. I really wanted this deal to complete before New Years Eve, but it didn't happen - so one in this year after two days and my business for the year is complete...
    Err right . . .