closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Shed/ Garden Security Ideas Please

Shed/ Garden Security Ideas Please

Hi,

Following a couple of break-ins in the local area in the last couple of weeks, I feel I need to increase the security around my home, starting with my shed and garden

Does anyone have any ideas that they heve implemented that they would reccommed please?

Thanks
    John

Master
    I bought some lengths of steel bar to make window bars. Drilled the joists and threaded it through. Replace any visible screws with coach bolts - hinges etc, so secured on the inside, and a large, good quality hasp and padlock. Maybe put some ground anchors inside to lock bikes etc too.
    Basically if its a wooden shed if they want in they will get in but make sure they have to use power tools and/or make a lot of noise.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    I bought some lengths of steel bar to make window bars. Drilled the joists and threaded it through. Replace any visible screws with coach bolts - hinges etc, so secured on the inside, and a large, good quality hasp and padlock. Maybe put some ground anchors inside to lock bikes etc too.
    Basically if its a wooden shed if they want in they will get in but make sure they have to use power tools and/or make a lot of noise.
    Sounds good.....I’d add some decent movement detection lighting....

Also I know a few chaps with expensive motorbikes that have baby intercom monitors in the garage or shed...

Craftsman
    I have a large barn/workshop at bottom of garden

Some good ideas here https://securityforbikes.com/

I have bars at windows (you can get them made to measure/drilled on ebay)
    replace any outside lock/hinge bolts with security bolts
    use good quality padlock
    I have a large plastic window (with the bars behind) and use misted double glazing plastic panels so you cant see in

Also have CCTV (arlo) and one camera covers the garden

Inside the 5 push bikes are shackled up to mounts on the main structure

If they make it through all that to get a few grands worth of bikes and garden equipment, I will claim on the insurance for new stuff......

I have a wireless alarm and have put door and window contacts in the home office at the end of the garden. The alarm is set at night when the downstairs is armed and unset in the morning. When we are all out, the whole set up is active. I also have a rind video doorbell which has motion sensor activation and an infrared camera, that has proved useful on a couple of occasions and it simply connects to your wifi.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    These look fun.

I've tended to operate on the philosophy that when it comes to sheds and garages etc - if someone is at the point of gaining unlawful entry to nick something, they are going to do it anyhow., I'd rather they stole some tools and didn't smash their way in causing far more damage and inconvenience. Thus I don't tend to do much if anything to secure them. That said, our house and the "compound" it sits in would not be the easiest to burgle - restricted access, security automated gates, no easy escape routes etc.

I also think outbuildings can be a bit of a distraction from the main house (which in our case has numerous security measures and visible monitored ADT alarm system as well.)

Just my views of course.
    So clever my foot fell off.

We were burgled a few years back and received a good tip from the police who attended.
    Buy some carpet grip strips and fix them on the inside of the fence at the top so that if someone tries to get over they’ll be in for a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    We were burgled a few years back and received a good tip from the police who attended.
    Buy some carpet grip strips and fix them on the inside of the fence at the top so that if someone tries to get over they’ll be in for a surprise.
    Odd advice from the police thought a warning notice had to accompany such things.

What if a child climbs over to retrieve a ball?

Odd advice from the police thought a warning notice had to accompany such things.

Maybe it’s a 6ft fence in which case a child shouldn’t be able to reach

Master
    I have seen loads of these on walls near to where I live and they appear to be purpose made. I cannot see a manufacturer making something that he knows could result in a court case.

Even Amazon and ebay are selling them

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-Climb-.../dp/B00BIHEZAA

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Security-...-/401057782780

I know that the old thing of putting broken glass into cement on the tops of walls is illegal.
    Last edited by Mick P; 12th January 2018 at 17:23.

Master
    ^^^ Put my mother in the garden?

This will make anyone need a change of underpants. Best deterrent, unless you are up for shooting them yourself, I have ever seen.

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?...oducts_id=2964

Fas est ab hoste doceri

He's gonna get bloody fingers I think !

Make access difficult to your garden if possible (locked garden gates). Padlocks on the shed doors, but sheds are not very strong. Make sure the contents are photographed and covered by your insurance. CCTV is good provided the recording is stored elsewhere and they can't nick it with the cameras!
    If you have any home automation such as Hive or SmartThings, you could put motion sensors inside the buildings and pointing out into the garden, so you would get a txt when anything moving was detected.
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 12th January 2018 at 21:48.

Master
    Not sure I'd fancy clearing up the mess that would be left after one of these goes off!

Are there laws accompanying their use? Can imagine neighbours getting a hell of a shock.