closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Facebook or Twitter acc. Am I missing out?

Master

No Facebook or Twitter acc. Am I missing out?

Here I am living in ignorant bliss. Everyone and their uncle have one or both of these apps but I’m bereft. Old fashioned me uses a phone to talk to people and not texts. Don’t presume that anyone cares what I have for breakfast or what time I go to the loo and I’m not interested in the superficial utterings of others on Twitter.
    There’s a roundabout out there that I just don’t want to climb aboard. Am I alone in this perspective?

don't worry, tz-uk is your facebook :)

Master
    Nope. I have forum accounts and that is it. I accept that there can be a valid case for using Facebook, but twitter is utterly pathetic.

I left Facebook around 18 months ago now and haven’t missed the vapid inanity one bit. I’ve eschewed social media in hope of making real world connections and looking up at the world instead of down at a screen. Whilst this may make me seem a curmudgeonly old grump I can honestly say that I have no sense of missing out by not being on Facebook/twitter etc.

Master
    You're not alone in my opinion they are the biggest load of nonsense I have come across and a total waste of time.

Not having it is fine, tell people you don't have it is the modern "well of course we don't have a TV in the house!"

People show how wonderfull their lives are
    Once the doors are shut reality pops up in every home :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    You're not alone in my opinion they are the biggest load of nonsense I have come across and a total waste of time.

+1

Master
    You're not missing out on anything

Craftsman
    I have never been on Facebook or Twitter and from what I hear I'm definitely not missing out!!! Stick to your guns and don't get sucked in!!!!! I also love the look on people's faces when they ask if I'm on Facebook and I reply no..... they look so confused.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Nope. I have forum accounts and that is it. I accept that there can be a valid case for using Facebook, but twitter is utterly pathetic.
    I use Facebook as a way of keeping in touch with family on the other side of the world and friends who are living/working in other countries, it makes me feel closer to them even if it's just the mundane everyday events.
    Twitter is good for up to the minute news/travel, or to follow sports.

Seeing as you the user can choose to engage with it however you like I don't see what the problem is with it? (Apart from the advertising) if you follow moronic people of those with dubious views don't expect engaging or useful content.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Not having it is fine, tell people you don't have it is the modern "well of course we don't have a TV in the house!"
    Oops - haven't got one of those either.

If it wasn't for the fact I have my business on Facebook which picks up fair amount of work I would have jacked it years ago.
    Dont do Twatter as can't see the point.
    one good part of Facebook is messenger but there's other free to use messaging services out there.
    In a nutshell you're not missing out on anything.

Master
    I am not on twitter or FB and I do wonder if I should be.

A couple of years ago I had arranged to telephone an old friend a couple of weeks before Christmas to set a date for a meet up.

I telephoned about a week early only to find out he had died a week before. This news came straight out of the blue. The news of his death shot around FB but not having an account, I did not know of it. The family did not place an obituary in the local press because they thought that FB had done the job.

Had it not been for that chance phone call, I would have missed the funeral of a man that I had known for over 25 years.

Master
    Good news - there’s so much ‘noise’ out there to disregard.

It has its good points but it's mostly full of rubbish, take out the pictures of cats, dogs, people complaining about their ailments, fibromyalgia, then there's not a lot left.
    Oh and don't forget the like and share posts for a chance to win a Ferrari.

No Facebook or Twitter for me either. I have a Whatsapp acc. but used soley for close family. I have TV but don't watch most of the dross on that.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You are not missing a thing in my opinion. I do have friends who swear by FB for promoting their business but in the next breath tell me how many trolling/ mentally ill type of emails and messages they receive via... I've managed perfectly well without it and talk to and see my friends and family, old school I know but in my opinion we don't talk properly enough these days and that's coming from a 45 year old.

I’ve never even looked at Facebook. I did have a twitter account just to find out what all the fuss was about but was stunned at how vacuous and pointless most of the posts were. This is the only social media I ‘do’ - apart from m WhatsApp which I just use as an easy way to send and receive pictures from friends and family. Tbh I don’t know how people have the time or inclination?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Tbh I don’t know how people have the time or inclination?!
    A lot of people do it when they're driving!

Master
    I don't have Twitter and know nothing at all about it. I do have a Facebook account, only because someone emailed me to say that a watch I was interested in was being offered for sale via FB and I had no other option to view. I have never posted anything on it and used the messaging service only one time. We don't have a TV either but can watch the very few things that appeal via catchup services. I honestly don't feel I'm missing out on anything useful at all.

Master
    No Facebook
    No Twitter
    No instagram
    No Whatsapp

No interest..

Master
    No Facebragg or Twatter for me along with that other waste of social media Instagratification.

I have no Facebook, no Twitter and no instagram.
    I do use WhatsApp as I think it’s easier to send pictures and videos and I prefer for format to iMessage.

I consider myself pretty up on technology but in the main I only hear bad things about Facebook etc.

Most of my mates (late 30’s or early 40’s) often say they wish they could come off it but never seem to.

It’s worth bearing in mind potential employers check Facebook and personally I don’t want pictures of my family on the net in a potentially unsecured fashion.

I’m on neither FB or Twitter. We’re not missing anything 👍

Craftsman
    It's the background monitoring and tracking that concerns me. I work in predictive analytics and what FB and Twitter can do with all your activity/location data is impressive.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by usedtobelurch View Post
    It's the background monitoring and tracking that concerns me. I work in predictive analytics and what FB and Twitter can do with all your activity/location data is impressive.
    I'm not actively on either but do have accounts that I set up some years ago, to see what the fuss was about, and would be interested to know what they can do in this regard. Thanks

I have two sleeper accounts on FB and Twitter, under the same name, completely different to mine (the name even coming from a different hemisphere). I've never used either. I don't really know if you're missing anything or not to be honest.

Its as if it's a badge of honour amongst late middle age men to shun technology or social media, it makes me laugh at the way my father berates younger people 'who are always fiddling with their phones' while at the same time he sits there looking at stuff to buy on eBay with his I pad. He also refuses to turn down/off the tv when guests arrive and doesn't see how listening to 5-6 phone conversations (over speaker phone because he refuses to admit he is deaf) can be irritating to others in the room while he organises or arranges club meetings. A simple what's app or Facebook group would notify everyone and confirm numbers and attendance.

What people can't seem to grasp is just because you see the way others use social media or technology it doesn't mean that you have to consume it the same way. You have a choice not to look at ephemeral inanity but to only see what interests you.

Master
    The only thing that makes me consider a FB account is that lots of car club fora are dying a death as the club now has a FB page and all discussions take place there. I don't really find it a very good medium for forum type discussion but others are quite happy.
    Otherwise no use at all.
    Twitter - live info is useful; we went to the America's cup in Portstmouth and watching it live you have no idea who is where, who's winning etc. Live updates on twitter from those who knew did help.
    Like most things its pick and choose but the majority is chaff.

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    I’m on neither FB or Twitter. We’re not missing anything 👍
    Likewise.

The only thing Facebook was useful for was the kids as friends in Oz, but I haven't gone back on it since leaving sometime ago.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Twitter is perhaps in essence a great communication channel. A lot of users are bad communicators! How many have eaten their words for something they'd written on Twitter. It's like opening eBay after a few glasses of wine: waiting for something stupid to happen.

Menno

Instagram is great for watch content.... All the main companies are there alongside independents and normal watch fans.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    The only thing that makes me consider a FB account is that lots of car club fora are dying a death as the club now has a FB page and all discussions take place there. I don't really find it a very good medium for forum type discussion but others are quite happy.
    I agree with that...it’s happened to a degree on the Mustang forum I frequent... they discuss and arrange meets on FB..

I just miss out... but then again so do they, cos there are loads of us that won’t sign up to this type of social media..

Craftsman
    Life is better without Facebook or Twitter!!

No-one is interested in our daily toil or some "funny" GIF that needs to be shared or liked endlessly.

I hate the intrusion and am more interested in human to human interaction with conversation.

Feel better now!

So no, life goes on without Facebook and Twitter for me!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Im on Facebook as it's handy to keep in touch with friends and family at a distance. I detest picking up the phone so it's a handy platform.
    No Twitter as can't be rsed with it in the slightest.
    WhatsApp is just a messenger service so I use that because it's free to send pics and I'd rather do that than spend x amount on sms. I don't think it counts as social media.
    I like Instagram because it's all images and no annoying chit chat.
    Flickr for image storing.
    Fin.

Master
    No....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiloman View Post
    Life is better without Facebook or Twitter!!

No-one is interested in our daily toil or some "funny" GIF that needs to be shared or liked endlessly.

I hate the intrusion and am more interested in human to human interaction with conversation.

Feel better now!

So no, life goes on without Facebook and Twitter for me!
    That might be the case for you but there is a lot more to Facebook than following friends inane updates.
    I set up a group for old photos of a specific country that has spawned a couple of other groups which to a certain extend has changed some lives by connecting post war exiled diaspora.
    There’s a lot more going on than the news feed.

Grand Master
    If you have no friends outside your village then facebook might not be very interesting, I know a few ‘local’ people who dont bother as they see each other each day or week anyway but for fragmented or diverse social groups its great.

Twitter I love but more for information out than information in
    RIAC

Facebook is not something I use much these days, Twitter I find is good for what's happening in the world - depends who you follow to a great extent.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Don't use either, never have.

No Facebook or Twitter acc. Am I missing out?

I used Facebook to look at pictures my sister in law puts on of my brother and nephews in NZ and pictures of the snow conditions in a particular French ski resort. I use Twitter to check for train delays for my daily commute. That really is the extent of their usefulness for me.

Master
    Another one here that's never had a Facebook account or Twitter and very much doubt that I'm missing out on anything. Do have WhatsApp which I find quite handy.

WhatsApp has been quite useful with the kids, both when they’re here and travelling abroad. We have a WhatsApp parkrun group as well that fires up every Saturday morning. Quite impressed with it, even though I only use it in a limited way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    I know what you mean. This really does annoy me.

As you observe, Facebook threading structure is rubbish. It lacks the capabilities of proper forum software. It is effectively broken for forum/conferencing-style discussion. And yet people still use it!

This has contributed to my growing belief that the majority of people are cretinously lazy and stupid and cannot be trusted to vote or breed without permission.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    This has contributed to my growing belief that the majority of people are cretinously lazy and stupid and cannot be trusted to vote or breed without permission.
    Totally agree and that’s why I don’t have Facebook, Twitter or anything similar. If I want to communicate with a vegetable I’ll pop down to the local greengrocers.
    Last edited by Cynar; 14th January 2018 at 01:16.

I’ve got a ‘dormant’ account for both (set up to enter a promotion or such like) but don’t think I’m missing anything by not joining in.

Twitter seems to be full of retweets with relatively few people actually contributing anything but maybe that’s the point.

Master
    I have a Twitter account, but I don’t tweet. I use it for news generally, and for things I am interested in. Follow the right organisations and people, and it can become invaluable.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    No Facebragg or Twatter for me along with that other waste of social media Instagratification.
    No faceblob or twatter here. Did try instant eh? Instant eh? Oh yeah! Instant mash but didn't like that either.

Master
    I am on FB as we have page for our sports club where people can post such as the swimming training sessions, if there are pool problems, what bike rides will be taking place on Sunday, where the running sessions will be taking place. I also have an Instagram account as I follow a couple of photographers (but do not post myself) - and it allows me to see such as the pictures of Tony (LTF on here), which I could not otherwise see.