closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Security CAmera Recommendations

Craftsman

Security CAmera Recommendations

Aware it's been discussed a few times - was wondering what the latest thinking was?

I've had a Y-Cam wifi camera covering the front of the house for just over 3 years. It was sold as having "free for life" 7 day video storage. At the end of last year, Y-Cam removed the free for life option and gave 14 days notice to Users that they had to upgrade to a paid for service, or the camera would stop recording - this has now happened

I've contacted Amazon (who I bought it from) and they've been superb and agreed to refund the original cost -
    so I'm looking for a replacement

Given a surge in burglaries in our area over the last few months, I'd like to add a camera to the rear of the house as well

Fire away chaps...........

thanks

Steve

Hikvision is what I have at home and work. Very reliable. easy to use. Excellent quality.

^ just go with whatever you fancy from their range. They seem to upgrade all the time so just grab what you need and go.

Craftsman
    We have Blink around the home and outside...

Works fine for me...

https://blinkforhome.co.uk/

Regards

V

Happy with these
    COOAU Wifi Wireless Security Camera Outdoor IP Camera Home Surveillance System (720P HD, Night Vision, Smart Motion Detect, Remote View Via Smart Phone/Tablet/PC, Up to 128GB Micro SD,3M Power Cable) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072DVF3..._EMZzAbWEDGKTK

Craftsman
    Hikvision for me too, had mine just over 2 years and has been faultless.

Craftsman
    Blink looks interesting. It appears they have been acquired by Amazon so imagine Alexa integration will be in the cards.

What is the performance of their cameras like eg video in day and night, accuracy of alerts, battery life etc ?

How would they compare to Arlo Pro cameras ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the Arlo. Only downside so far is the battery life. Setup and operation is very simple.

Craftsman
    Hikvision is the way to go, some really good kit about.
    I've just upgraded mine to 5mp and picture quality is great even in pitch black.
    Just need plenty of storage in the DVR.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    Hikvision for me too, had mine just over 2 years and has been faultless.
    And me. Not expensive, can be installed by anyone with half a brain and no need to faff changing batteries either.

Craftsman

Question

But down the HikVision cameras require hard wiring which the Arlos and Blinks don't ?

Craftsman
    I went with some ultra cheap Annke cameras from Amazon (special offer over Christmas) - idea being see how I get on with them and then maybe upgrade if needed. Cue plenty of wiring which I'm in the process of hiding. I'm impressed with what the cheap cameras can do.

[edit] I should add that the Annke is a set - 2 cameras and a recording box (NVR?) for £50 (Christmas special offer still on it seems), to which I added a WD purple drive. the box can take up to 8 cameras. I also had a y-cam but didnt think to contact Amazon - nice move! [/edit]

on my list (might be a good starting check list):
    - remote access - iphone or pc based
    - motion sensing recording in defined areas (possibly with heat sensors to avoid tree movement setting off recording)
    - non-ir LED night vision (spiders like the red LEDs)
    - HDMI output (my wife can check the cameras on the tv and a wireless mouse makes it hidden).
    - high resolution (im on 720p at the moment)
    - ftp upload of clips or emailing of clips to get any motion off site
    - ethernet wiring (im on co-ax and the cameras have an annoying set of connectors about 30cm from the camera making it harder to get wires router and cameras mounted)
    - wide angle cameras
    - PTZ capability in case you want moveable cameras
    - ability to connect IP cameras (ie Foscams in far flung locations where its tricky to get wires)
    - ability to search based on events and also movement in defined areas (ie when did that bike vanish)

Hikvision get a lot of votes - just need to find a. the funds and b. a good supplier.
    Last edited by poloman; 23rd January 2018 at 23:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    But down the HikVision cameras require hard wiring which the Arlos and Blinks don't ?
    They do , but wired will always be more reliable than wireless . More grief with initial set up but worth it in the long run.

Hikvision here as well.

Had Arlo for 6 months but prefer the hikvision system. Alerts aren’t as good though but I’ve got used to having it running and just check when needed.

Master
    I have an Arlo system with 3 cameras - it's been faultless so far and setup was super easy. The wireless range is decent too.

Master
    I got mine from these guys, they were excellent from a sales and after sales perspective. Their prices are good too. I got the cameras with the Sony Starvis chipset so I retain colour images even in low light.

I rang them 2 or 3 times on setting up and they were really helpful. The system uses Supeliveplus app to access and control system

http://www.cctvfirst.co.uk

Craftsman
    Security cameras help but are not the massive deterrent that people think they are so whatever you go for make sure the quality is exceptional. I have had many years experience of dealing with the aftermath of burglaries and having homeowners and business owners tell me they have images.
    The vast majority of these images were absolute crap. Make sure you have cameras internal and external, set them for visual id post entry , these will need to be hidden. It is a lot of work but the scumsuckers that are looking to burgle property will hoody up prior to doing so and don't care that you have a camera as cameras are now a fact of life in their business.
    Get excellent solid security, make it too hard to actually get in. That coupled with cameras will be a deterrent.

Look to deter them, make your property harder to burgle than everyone elses around you.

Replaced a wired system with arlo in December. Hardest thing about the setup was getting them out the packaging. Impressed with the picture quality but getting the alerts right is taking some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    Security cameras help but are not the massive deterrent that people think they are so whatever you go for make sure the quality is exceptional. I have had many years experience of dealing with the aftermath of burglaries and having homeowners and business owners tell me they have images.
    The vast majority of these images were absolute crap. Make sure you have cameras internal and external, set them for visual id post entry , these will need to be hidden. It is a lot of work but the scumsuckers that are looking to burgle property will hoody up prior to doing so and don't care that you have a camera as cameras are now a fact of life in their business.
    Get excellent solid security, make it too hard to actually get in. That coupled with cameras will be a deterrent.

Look to deter them, make your property harder to burgle than everyone elses around you.
    Interesting post and you're right, a lot of the images are crap but there's lots of other reasons to fit rather than "evidential quality" pictures and stills.

Fortunately here we still have strong community policing. Where the school has suffered anti-social behaviour and can pull images good enough to identify (that's easy) but not good enough for evidence, our local 6'5" plod takes the biggest, brightest police vehicle they have and parks it up in front of the perpetrators house and wanders slowly up the path. That works. Word quickly gets around and they stay away - which was what we were trying to achieve in the first place.

Add to that the ability to take a look around the whole site with my smartphone from anywhere with wifi or 4G and it's a winning combination. I truly hope I never have to take any of the images to court as I hope it won't get that far.

Craftsman
    Hikvision HD-TVi 5mp DVR and camera's.
    Cable, use cat 5, easy to run just about anywhere baluns at each end.
    Get camera back mount makes fitting so much easier and gives the camera more presence.
    Picture quality, definition depends a lot on lens choice,
    2.8mm gives a great overall view but trying to make a face out is not easy even at high MP.
    You need correct placement of cameras, with a mixture of lens dependant on what you want the camera to do!

commercial grade Hikvision DVRs come with so much options 90% of Jo public would never use, or even know how to set up!! That's why they are now bringing the Hiwatch systems out. Quite cheaper but more than suitable for home use.
    EXIR does away with the standard IR leds and case a more uniform IR along with less spider attraction!
    And don't forget one of the best things to have to help identification (if ever needed) is sound to go with the pictures, £10 per install that's all it cost to put mic modules up.

CCTV certainly helps as a deterrent (seen proof of this) but you also have to make the perimeter more secure first.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Hikvision is what I have at home and work. Very reliable. easy to use. Excellent quality.

What he said
    My mate has his own high level business and uses them on installs all the time

I think I’ll take a punt on the Arlo, the starter kit (older version?) is down to £129 on amazon at the moment.
    Last edited by bigvic; 27th January 2018 at 09:59.

I got an email from Amazon this morning to say that the 2 camera Blink starter kit is on a Lightning deal at 11:25 today.

The Blink deal is live now. £129.20 for the 2 camera kit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blink-Home-...9FCVB0SAV&th=1

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    I think I’ll take a punt on the Arlo, the starter kit (older version?) is down to £129 on amazon at the moment.
    Ive had those for a couple of years now, and not found a reason to upgrade yet, they work great, batteries last a real 4 to 6 months too (unlike blink who bullsh*t - read their small print how they work out their quoted battery life)

I have supplemented the original 3 camera kit with an Arlo-Q wired on Wi-Fi in my garage and also have an Arlo GO (4G not Wi-Fi) with solar panel, so its full standalone at bottom of garden.

Craftsman
    Not dissing all the battery, WiFi stuff, it does a job. But talk to anyone in the security industry and you'll always get the same answer. Hard wired every time, nothing beats it!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    Not dissing all the battery, WiFi stuff, it does a job. But talk to anyone in the security industry and you'll always get the same answer. Hard wired every time, nothing beats it!!

Its the same in computer networking; nothing beats a dedicated cable :) ...but then again Wi-Fi is very convenient and works most of the time for most applications...

It depends what you value the most, what is "good enough" for your requirements and how much hassle you want with installation

If you have no power or network in the location you want to monitor you also dont have much choice. the Arlo Go with a solar panel is 100% standalone, so long as you have a mobile phone signal. I dont want to run a cable outdoors to bottom of my garden....

Anyone in the CCTV install industry will always recommend running a wired system...otherwise they would have no business if everyone is doing self install wireless with a kit they bought on Amazon ;)
    Last edited by bogie; 28th January 2018 at 00:11.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bogie View Post
    Its the same in computer networking; nothing beats a dedicated cable :) ...but then again Wi-Fi is very convenient and works most of the time for most applications...

It depends what you value the most, what is "good enough" for your requirements and how much hassle you want with installation

If you have no power or network in the location you want to monitor you also dont have much choice. the Arlo Go with a solar panel is 100% standalone, so long as you have a mobile phone signal. I dont want to run a cable outdoors to bottom of my garden....

Anyone in the CCTV install industry will always recommend running a wired system...otherwise they would have no business if everyone is doing self install wireless with a kit they bought on Amazon ;)
    You hit the nail on the head "WIFI works most of the time!) But not all of the time!
    I have no interest in the professional install business but have used CCTV a very long time and I mean 20 years plus when it was multiplexers and time lapse video and camera's that needed 10inch screws to hold them to the wall.

Don't get me wrong all the new easy install kit coming out is coming on leaps and bounds but still is expensive and can be unreliable!

Anyone who can wire a plug can fit a wired CCTV system.
    If you are into computer networking you know how easy it is to run a bit of cat 5 (even down the garden)
    I guided two gardeners over the phone through a hd camera fit on a villa in Majorca with several 80, 90m runs, been running a few years without a glitch!
    All the smart camera systems have a place but let's not pretend it beats a proper CCTV system and that includes a DIY fit and all!

Last edited by Gee252; 28th January 2018 at 01:25.

Craftsman
    A good example of why you need well sited and quality cameras.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-42863601

I appreciate people think CCTV is a detterrant, but when the unthinkable happens you want it to have been worth the money. The image released here from Surrey Police is as much use as a lead balloon.
    Whatever system you get image quality and camera siting is the key.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    A good example of why you need well sited and quality cameras.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-42863601

I appreciate people think CCTV is a detterrant, but when the unthinkable happens you want it to have been worth the money. The image released here from Surrey Police is as much use as a lead balloon.
    Whatever system you get image quality and camera siting is the key.
    Too true!!
    The image in that news shot is no good to anyone.
    I've just looked on my CCTV system and I can use the digital zoom and read number plates and that's with minimal background lighting.
    Try that with a cheap camera and the picture would just pixelate.
    Me personally i would not use under 5mp gear now days.